PDA

View Full Version : Job change?

pianobabe
10-01-2013, 07:19 PM
With all the cut backs we are facing in Public Health, I am considering a job change. I have thought about looking into travel nursing, but I don't know a lot about it. Are there any nurses on here who are travel nurses or have done travel nursing before? What were your experiences like? Which companies did you go with? What negatives do you face? Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.
TIA,
Rhonda

Opus X
10-01-2013, 08:56 PM
No specific advice advice other than...the travel nurses i know...do it for the great $$$.
R.N's have tremendous job security and they are in high demand...so, travel nurses get paid VERY well.
You have to look at it as a business decision.
I am a firefighter/paramedic. But, i know a lot of nurses.
The travel nurses love it. You dont have to worry much about bedside manners...just do your thing and move on.
Good job to have.

pianobabe
10-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the input. I know the money would be good, but I think I would like being able to see different areas of the country (and get paid for doing it).

Kenny1113
10-01-2013, 09:52 PM
I have never done it, but I have worked with many who have. Like previously mentioned the $$ is great. You have to be careful, I have heard from some that have been sent to places where they were concerned for the risk of losing their liscense and ended the contract early. Some have worked in really great places. Many have told me that the travel nurse always gets the worst assignments. Almost all of the nurses I have met who had traveled were really good, safe nurses. I say if you can get away, do it.
I would do it, if I didn't have kids.

Opus X
10-01-2013, 11:43 PM
I have never done it, but I have worked with many who have. Like previously mentioned the $$ is great. You have to be careful, I have heard from some that have been sent to places where they were concerned for the risk of losing their liscense and ended the contract early. Some have worked in really great places. Many have told me that the travel nurse always gets the worst assignments. Almost all of the nurses I have met who had traveled were really good, safe nurses. I say if you can get away, do it.
I would do it, if I didn't have kids.
Thats a good point....It would be tough with a family.

dnickels
10-02-2013, 08:43 AM
The intercot user 'Cinderelley' is a traveling nurse currently working up in Montana.
http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=200554

You might try sending her a direct message and seeing if you can pick her brain to see the pros/cons and who she uses to find her jobs.

Also it goes without saying, but it takes the right personality to be able to travel like that. If you like a little adventure and new things it's great. If you're a homebody who likes the same routine it's going to be tougher.

pianobabe
10-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Thank you so much for the name! I've never been very adventurous, but I love the idea of doing travel nursing. My son is in college and will be on his own soon:sob:, so it would be nice to be able to do this.