PDA

View Full Version : Episode 56 - Go To Disneyland!

John
10-01-2013, 12:20 PM
The INTERCOT Insider Live Disney Podcast
The Cast: Melanie Bounds, Christine Warner, Carol Robert, Gary O’Brien & John Yaglenski

- Harry Met Sally - John is turning in his man card.
- The Girls went to Disneyland last podcast and tell their story.
- Christine is blown away by Cars Land and how textured and layered Disneyland is.
- Lots of crying there - Carol talks about Main Street and Christine teared up over the headboards
- Disney’s America shout out - stupid rich people of Virginia
- Run Disney left coast style and it was a hot mess according to Christine. Mel had less issues.
- The Fresh Prince literally lives in Bel-Air
- Christine was confused by Toad and said - Don’t do drugs!
- Glow with the show coming to WDW
- Pal Mickey
- Take it or League It?
- New Take it or Leave It Theme! SO AWESOME!!! Tonite’s topic - Paying for a specific resort view. Carol says - Take It… it’s only money! Gary agrees with Carol - and says Take It too! Christine says Take It as well. Mel says in general - Leave It cause we’re cheap! John finally gets to go and says LEAVE IT!
- John wants socks every day
- We try to connect with Maria K from the INTERCOT boards who gives us her first hand experiences with MyMagicBand+. She wonders how you might be able to ride with local friends or family who can’t use the bands once the old FastPass system is gone. Park hopping is discouraged by the way things are set up. What happens if a ride is closed or down due to inclement weather? Do you get that one of your 3 passes back? Wrist band key and payment wise, there is a lot to like. Maria proves John right - NO ONE will cancel their fast passes and put them back into the system. INTERCOT Consulting says - BLING - bump and transfer your fast passes to someone else.
- Quick hit topics… Starbucks at Fountainview is now open. No seating - grab and go. Some coming to Downtown Disney as well.
- California Grill Re-Opens
- Princess Fairytale Hall opening as well
- Gary’s Random Tips - Wet Towels
- #RT4AT - ReTweet for a Tee - to celebrate the final month of ICOT 15.

>> Listen, Download, Love, Savor the flavor... (http://www.intercot.com/interactive/insiderlive/2013/episode-56.asp)

Melanie
10-01-2013, 01:04 PM
We're cheap! :funny:

And yes.....go to Disneyland! :balloon:

Hammer
10-01-2013, 02:33 PM
And yes.....go to Disneyland! :balloon:

Eh...I'd would want to go more often if it wasn't in Southern California. I've been to Disneyland a few times, and I do enjoy it, but there is very little else I like in Southern California. Sorry, I'm not trying to offend those who love it there. I know just as many people who dislike where I live or the East Coast in general. It's just different strokes for different folks. I just don't have the desire to fly across the country that often to just spend a few days in Disneyland.

Good podcast, though, folks!

BrerGnat
10-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Eh...I'd would want to go more often if it wasn't in Southern California. I've been to Disneyland a few times, and I do enjoy it, but there is very little else I like in Southern California. Sorry, I'm not trying to offend those who love it there. I know just as many people who dislike where I live or the East Coast in general. It's just different strokes for different folks. I just don't have the desire to fly across the country that often to just spend a few days in Disneyland.

Good podcast, though, folks!

Blasphemy.

;)

Actually, I had that attitude (you know, the Jersey one) too when I first moved to CA. After a couple years, my tune changed drastically. So Cal is paradise. For real.

Can't wait to listen to the podcast!

dpamac
10-01-2013, 04:12 PM
Is Christine going to burst into flames for saying that? Is she even allowed to say that? Can we get a ruling from the Disney Fan Rulebook?

Carol
10-01-2013, 04:38 PM
That's funny, Christine - aside from going to the ocean, we're very content spending the entire week at the parks. Doesn't matter what else is there. I never stray off site when in Florida either. If it weren't for Disney World I'd NEVER go to Florida. :thumbsup:

She can say what she wants, Gary. She's just wrong. :funny:

Hammer
10-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Blasphemy.

;)

She can say what she wants, Gary. She's just wrong. :funny:

:funny::rotfl:

You know I still love all you guys, right ?! :D

For the record, I don't dislike all of California; if I could afford it, I would live in the San Francisco Bay area in a heartbeat!

Yungbuck73
10-01-2013, 07:17 PM
I am so sorry that my file wouldn't play. It wasn't very good but thought it would be at least worth a listen. I am so no computer savy enough to create anything good. was done on my very simple netbook. It was done with the price is right music in the background. The theme song that was done by our neigbors to the north was wayyy better than mine.
Thanks for the shout out tho!!!!
Maybe next time.

BrerGnat
10-02-2013, 05:55 PM
"This is the theme to take it or leave it. It's Intercot's take it or leave it. Johnny called me up and asked me to create a theme song..."

Awesome. And stuck in my head ALL DAY so far.

Great podcast! I loved hearing about Disneyland!!! "Layered" is the perfect descriptor for it. It totally is layered.

As for my Take it or Leave it:

LEAVE it. Mostly. I guess I'm going along with Gary and saying that it depends on the circumstances of the trip and the resort. In general, I will always pay for a preferred building at the moderates or values. At most resorts, I don't care about the view. I actually prefer the quieter "garden view" over water views. Water views generally come with boat horns early in the morning. :mad:

And, Carol, sorry, but it's often WAY more than $15/day for an upgraded view. At some resorts, like CR, Poly, YC/BC, BWI, the difference can be in the hundreds (per night) between standard and premium view. We opt for Club Level over an upgraded view most times. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I want something tangible for it.

Carol
10-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Yeah . I was talking about the preferred buildings. I'm sure they're more than that now too. Nonetheless, Take It - It's only money. ;)

BraddyB
10-03-2013, 12:45 PM
Fav quote in this podcast.....

Forget it, she's rolling...was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor, no and its not over now !!!!:thumbsup:

Melanie
10-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Fav quote in this podcast.....

Forget it, she's rolling...was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor, no and its not over now !!!!:thumbsup:

LOL! Was that John when we had to 'redo' our introduction to our Take It or Leave It song?

JMTStone
10-03-2013, 03:33 PM
I was laughing out loud in my cubicle. Carol was excellent.

The theme song is great.

My vote: Take it.

jennsky
10-04-2013, 08:48 AM
I agree with Gary on the Take It or Leave It. Depending on what kind of trip I'm planning, I may want a better view, other trips I'm not gonna care.

Glad you guys liked the theme! My hubby Roy and I made the music on Garage Band, Carolyn wrote the lyrics and her hubby Mike sang the tune. I'm glad I'm not the only one who had it stuck In my head all day!

As for Disneyland, I've never been (you're not alone Gary!) BUT it's definitely on my "To-Do" list. I've planned so many trips there in my head....now I just need to find the money to do it for real!! My worry is that I'll fall in love with it and I'll feel like I'm cheating on my beloved Disney World. LOL! :blush:

Christine
10-05-2013, 06:28 PM
As for Disneyland, I've never been BUT it's definitely on my "To-Do" list. My worry is that I'll fall in love with it and I'll feel like I'm cheating on my beloved Disney World. LOL! :blush:

I was scared of that too- what actually happened was I came home and slapped my beloved Walt Disney World upside the head and said with a scowl, "why can't you be more like your older sister!?" ;)

BrerGnat
10-05-2013, 08:04 PM
I was scared of that too- what actually happened was I came home and slapped my beloved Walt Disney World upside the head and said with a scowl, "why can't you be more like your older sister!?" ;)

Awesome!

Carol
10-06-2013, 08:26 AM
I came home and slapped my beloved Walt Disney World upside the head and said with a scowl, "why can't you be more like your older sister!?" ;)

LOL ! :high5:

Buttercup
10-06-2013, 09:03 PM
I will definitely go to Disneyland some day. Jennsky and I have plans when the kids are a little older. It's a long flight from way up here in the north!
As for paying extra for a Preferred View/Building I say LEAVE IT. I haven't ever paid extra... only once was I given a complimentary upgrade to a preferred location at Caribbean Beach Resort which was nice, but unnecessary for us. I feel the same as John: I'm rarely in my room except to sleep so it's no big deal for me to do a little extra walking. PLUS, we usually have our car there so I don't mind being close to a parking lot.
Now, with that said, when I am staying in a Standard Room I will make a request to stay in the closest standard building to the main hall (where the food courts, etc. are) but in all honesty, if I don't get my request it's not the end of the world.

One time, I stayed one night at ASMusic with my son - we were just staying there one night until we checked in at Fort Wilderness the next day. We were put in the very furthest building, in the very last room at the very back of the building! It was hilarious -- like the room hadn't been used in AGES!!! The shampoos and soaps were all the old red & black style bottles... it was like being in a time warp!

mickeyman42
10-07-2013, 05:55 AM
Take it, take it, take it! If I could afford to I would stay club level, and theme park views every time. I would never stay at caribbean beach without a preferred room again, we have booked a pirate room and a royal room in the past. there are some views I wouldn't care to pay extra for (water/lake views) but overall (not just at Disney) I will pay extra for certain views.

Also, maybe this is just a glitch in the MDE site/app where I have already completed a stay using the magicbands/fp+, but we have our AP's linked to the account and I can still book FP+ now, for like whenever I want and I don't currently have an onsite stay booked. So perhaps if you have an AP you will still be able to book FP+'s, you just wont get them on a magicband without staying onsite. Also, we used the bands/fp+ while staying on DVC points just like you would for a regular hotel stay, no difference.

BriarRose0708
10-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Great episode everyone! Carol was on fire that night, so quick with the one liners.

I say LEAVE IT. I have only stayed at Value and never paid for a preferred location. Even when I had a 90's room at POP the walk to the bus stop and food court was under 10 minutes (for me, in my late 20's and no kids, strollers, etc.). But for some families like in Christine's example at the larger resorts I could see where a preferred location would be...well...preferred!

2Epcot
10-11-2013, 06:13 AM
Because I listen to a couple of daily podcasts, I'm usually behind on the Intercot one, and rarely get to comment because so much time has gone by ... I'm usually 2 or 3 episodes behind. I've actually caught up for a change.

I really enjoyed listening to Christine talk about her first trip to Disneyland. Growing up in AZ, and now living in CA, Disneyland has always been my home resort. While I enjoy WDW, and have been many times, it is not quite the same.

My favorite thing to do is to take friends, or family around Disneyland and CA Adventure on their very first visit. For me, it is like seeing the park for the first time myself, and I get just as excited.

Earlier this year I did it with one of our Japanese host students who has been to Tokyo Disneyland, but was getting her first visit of Disneyland and the new Cars Land. She loved it. I think she visited 3 times during her stay with us.

There are so many special details and touches in Disneyland, that are just missing from WDW. In addition to being Walt's park, I think Disneyland being the home park to the Disney executives and Imagineering has a lot to do with that as well.

Anytime I see post on how amazing Wishes is, I know that is probably someone who has never seen a firework show at Disneyland. There are other examples too of where Disneyland just outshines WDW in execution of entertainment ... Now if only we had an Epcot here in CA.

Definitely a trip I would recommend to anyone who has only been to WDW. I've always gone to Disneyland a lot, but now that my son is four year old, it easier to make a visit almost every week.

Melanie
10-11-2013, 06:57 AM
Anytime I see post on how amazing Wishes is, I know that is probably someone who has never seen a firework show at Disneyland. There are other examples too of where Disneyland just outshines WDW in execution of entertainment ... Now if only we had an Epcot here in CA.

Bingo, on both of these statements! I'm totally with you on DL outshine WDW in entertainment across the board, but seeing the fireworks in August really reminded me of that again. I mean, Dumbo flies! :dumbo:

Ah yes, an Epcot in CA. The perfect Disney resort.

disneykidsince1970
10-12-2013, 04:50 AM
greetings!!

For the first time in my 42 yo life, I think I want to go to Disneyland. I was actually WDW as a 9 month old baby the day before it opened to the public. My dad worked there and the employees got to bring in families... so, I have always felt this loyalty (which is one reason that I don't go to Disneyland Paris even tho I am only 3 hours away!)

BUT! after listening to Carol and Michael and Christine the last few podcasts rave about Carsland and several other things, I don't feel like I would be a "traitor" anymore - isn't that silly!?!?

LOVE the new "TakeIt or LeaveIt" theme song. Brilliant in its simplicity. Kudos!!

I have some other thoughts about "segment" ideas. Bring in the guests!!

The segment with MariaK talking about her MagicBands was great. Troll the TripReports for other unique (or not!?) experiences by Intercotees and get them to share - I LOVE listening to other people's stories! *I liked Christine's Treehouse Villas with all girls story*

How about someone who is really a Food &Wine fan? Someone on Intercot turned me on to the D*FoodBlog - someone from there could be a great guest. -someone with some expertise in these areas. The Garden one too...?

How about a regular segment on a restaurant review?

How about a regular segment by Magical Journeys? A view on what is coming or tips on planning? or a "Did you Know....?" segment?

How about "Intercotee Tips?" You could pre-record Intercotees doing a 20 - 30 second "tip" that they have for packing, room selection, etc.

How about interviews with the locals that work in the Epcot pavilions - how they find the experience, etc... or former Disney-internship kids?

How about hearing from an avid Disney-fan that lives in Switzerland and loves to listen to Icot podcasts while she is travelling next to smelly business people on a Friday night flight - home? (seriously people - you need a clean shirt for EVERY day that you are gone from home!) ...and her Tampa-based sister! :blush:

...just some ideas!

disneykidsince1970
10-12-2013, 04:51 AM
...and we're checking in on Oct 23rd!!

The Ladies only - no kids or hubbies.

YEE-HAW!!

:party:

disneykidsince1970
10-12-2013, 04:54 AM
or what about a segment on DVC? I have thought on/off about buying in for the last 15 years. I still haven't done it. Probably won't - but I find it interesting to listen to....

Everytime someone talks about it, my ears perk up...

maybe you could run thru a different example of why someone would or would not choose to buy... or rent.... ? *So far, renting the points has worked great for us!

disneykidsince1970
10-12-2013, 05:12 AM
How about Tikiman as a guest?

mariak
10-15-2013, 09:24 PM
Just put on a new hoodie which reminded me of John's sock thing. I just want to go on record with my vote for new hoodies! Soft socks every day would be good. But I just love a new hoodie....all soft inside before they get washed!!! Ahhhhhhh

Septbride2002
10-17-2013, 10:11 AM
Take it or leave it: leave it.

Good job on the theme song!

stephicakes
11-09-2013, 08:01 AM
John - the sock thing... I GET IT. I spend 2 to 2 1/2 hours a day in the gym weight training and I would give my right bicep to have NEW SOCKS EVERY MORNING. lol :thumbsup: Good new socks can be like literally putting on small comfy slippers every time!

Shame on people who don't get it. :D That is all.

steph :)

GMRO
11-12-2013, 08:42 AM
Per the technical difficulties of DL'ing the podcasts I finally got thru this one. "stupid-iTunes!"

mariak - great report. Nice visit to the podcast! We go May2014 and - well guess we'll see if DW and I like the bands or not. You put a great deal of time in your trip with the bands - from what I heard. As CW stated...I'M ON VACATION!!! I doubt I'll take screen shots of my reservations...but nice touch. I will miss the ease of the paper FP! We never abused it but really liked it.

JY - socks...REALLY? OK... How about this twist...go buy 50 pairs of the SAME white and black types socks. AND get rid of all your OTHER socks. This way...no more need to spend time PAIRING them up or ending up with an orphan who's mate is gone! Since they will all NOW match just grab 2 and go! I just saved you time while you bask in the comfort of NEW socks!!! LOL

Carol - WOW nice SLAPSHOTS!!! Did you leave any marks?!?! Great comments and FAST!!! But I still have no real desire to visit DL as of yet. Maybe someday. The travel involved to go west, been in LA before and didn't care much for any of it. I'd rather take another DCL trip in the same year vs. the cash for a west coast DL trip. I just have a bad feeling I'd be let down and feel cramped. "layering" - ummmm...no space IMO. I will say CARS LAND does sound very KEWL! Just'sayn...

Take it or leave it... LEAVE IT! DW and I spend like NO time in our resort room. CW you should have had a stroller years back! LOL We have no qualms about walking. YES you will WALK all day at any park. We use the room for down time and yes to sleep and freshen up and that's about it. I like JY's comment...but I'll take merchandise instead or an extra day or 2 for the vacation vs. the extra out-laying of cash for a fancy view in the same resort. Now a BUMP in resort - that's different but not the same as preferred rooms.

All in all great podcast. Theme song...nice effort...but not enough to make me hum or whistle it all day. ;)

John
11-12-2013, 08:48 AM
PS. My socks already are 90% the same....

GMRO
11-12-2013, 08:54 AM
PS. My socks already are 90% the same....

Learned well you have...YESSSS!

LOL

Keep up the great work! Really enjoy learning about the new things and happenings at the WORLD and LAND thru all YOUR experiences - that includes the whole PODCAST CREW and the TWITTERS now too!

Christine
11-16-2013, 09:15 AM
From GMRO :" But I still have no real desire to visit DL as of yet. Maybe someday. The travel involved to go west, been in LA before and didn't care much for any of it. I'd rather take another DCL trip in the same year vs. the cash for a west coast DL trip. I just have a bad feeling I'd be let down and feel cramped. "layering" - ummmm...no space IMO."

You know how much I love WDW & DCL!! I assure you Disneyland does not disappoint! I went out there to get my coast to coast and see the cute little original park just to say I've done it.
But once I got out there--- oh my goodness! It's a whole different world - er- LAND! I cannot express how well done Disneyland is- it is so detailed, so ornate, so charming, so relaxed! It's so worth the trip and then some. We are adding it to our Disney destinations for sure!! I'm headed back in January and again in August and I'm already counting down the days!! You and I tend to see eye to eye on most things Disney- trust me! :D

GMRO
11-18-2013, 08:17 AM
From GMRO :" But I still have no real desire to visit DL as of yet. Maybe someday. The travel involved to go west, been in LA before and didn't care much for any of it. I'd rather take another DCL trip in the same year vs. the cash for a west coast DL trip. I just have a bad feeling I'd be let down and feel cramped. "layering" - ummmm...no space IMO."

You know how much I love WDW & DCL!! I assure you Disneyland does not disappoint! I went out there to get my coast to coast and see the cute little original park just to say I've done it.
But once I got out there--- oh my goodness! It's a whole different world - er- LAND! I cannot express how well done Disneyland is- it is so detailed, so ornate, so charming, so relaxed! It's so worth the trip and then some. We are adding it to our Disney destinations for sure!! I'm headed back in January and again in August and I'm already counting down the days!! You and I tend to see eye to eye on most things Disney- trust me! :D

Thanks CW! DW has said a few times she'd like us to take that trip. MaaYYbEE...someday. I've read your tweets and heard your excitement on the last 2 podcasts about DL. And NOT STOCKING YOU...but I did notice that you ARE HEADED BACK TO DL!!! ;) Could be a trip in DW and my future. BUT I think I may want to get my DCL Alaska trip in first... :thumbsup:

I will be following along per the tweets about your next few trips to DL etc. Was nice to see MB's trip this past week/end with the gals too. Neat pics. WHAT AN ABUSE OF TECHNOLOGY!

THANK YOU!

JMTStone
11-18-2013, 08:42 AM
Thanks CW! DW has said a few times she'd like us to take that trip. MaaYYbEE...someday. I've read your tweets and heard your excitement on the last 2 podcasts about DL. And NOT STOCKING YOU...but I did notice that you ARE HEADED BACK TO DL!!! ;) Could be a trip in DW and my future. BUT I think I may want to get my DCL Alaska trip in first... :thumbsup:

I will be following along per the tweets about your next few trips to DL etc. Was nice to see MB's trip this past week/end with the gals too. Neat pics. WHAT AN ABUSE OF TECHNOLOGY!

THANK YOU!

I think the next DisneyLand marathon would be a perfect opportunity to hit the other side of the country. Also... I've been checking out INTERCOT's twitter feed and I'm so into the holiday stuff, I just have to get there next year.

mjm
12-27-2013, 11:58 AM
Well, by the date of this reply, you can really tell how far behind I am. Oh, and I hope a new one is coming quickly, but Happy New Year and Merry Christmas to all!

Labyrinth
- I liked "Labyrinth" and "The Dark Crystal"!
- I read Jim Henson's biography by Brian Jay Jones. Recommended!

RFID Bands.
- As Christine said, not having your key and wallet all the time would be great. But Like John, I wonder am I going to need a laptop or mobile device and use a spreadsheet to figure out where I need to be? I don't want to plan every last minute either.

Take it or Leave it suggestion.
- Now that interactive queues have been out for a while, why not a Take it or leave it segment on those?

Buttercup
12-27-2013, 03:02 PM
We need a new episode... stat!

finaldynasty
12-28-2013, 12:19 AM
I am going through withdrawal! :mickey: