PDA

View Full Version : Leg Cramps-Any suggestions

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-28-2013, 10:15 AM
I've been having terrible leg cramps at night and its interfering with my sleep. I am already taking a Potassium and Magnesium supplement. Any suggestions?:(

disneydeb
09-28-2013, 10:46 AM
Drink more water!

I found by accident if I am suffering from leg cramps, if I take cough medicine, and drink a lot of water...it helps.

I hope you sleep well tonight!

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-28-2013, 11:24 AM
I will try to drink more. Thanks

OCTOEPCOT
09-28-2013, 02:24 PM
My wife has these all of the time. The quick fix is to take a swig of vinegar. In a few seconds the cramp is gone. She keeps a bottle in the night stand.

disney obsessed
09-28-2013, 03:30 PM
I know several people who keep yellow mustard at their bedside. Sounds strange but works very well.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-28-2013, 04:28 PM
I've not heard vinegar but I was told to try pickle juice/It didn't seem to help and is kind of nasty in the middle of the night. Vinegar doesn't sound much better but I'm desperate.

Mustard, hmmm...that seems bad too will have to get some hotdogs to put it on:) I will try it if they don't get better.

I've drank 6 20 oz. bottles of water so far today hoping that will keep the cramps away but now I'm thinking I'll be going to the bathroom all night:confused:

I'll let everyone know what happens tonight.

BrerGnat
09-28-2013, 05:29 PM
Is this a new thing for you? Any new medications lately?

stephicakes
09-29-2013, 07:33 AM
I would do a good leg stretch before bed. Is it your quads, hamstrings, calves? Stretching and some deep breathing will help to relax tight muscles and deliver good oxygen to all muscles in your body. And as already suggested... water :)

TheVBs
09-29-2013, 08:40 AM
If it's your calves, try sleeping with those foam toe separators. Those things you use when you're painting your toenails. It prevents the cramp from pulling your toes back and helps keep that back calf muscle stretched out. Hope you get it resolved one way or another! Those are miserable. :(

Disney4us2
09-29-2013, 09:08 AM
I get leg cramps a lot. What helps me is drinking a lot of water. I also have to keep my legs covered at night. I usually put extra blankets over my legs. If they get cold, I cramp. Last time it was so bad... from the foot all the way up to :blush:. I had to sit in the tub with hot hot water. I also have microwaveable heating pads and that helps as well. I have heard that drinking quinine water also can help but I have not tried it.

Hope you can find what helps you to get rid of the cramping.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-29-2013, 09:27 AM
Is this a new thing for you? Any new medications lately?

Not new around this time last year I started having leg cramps frequently and a nurse practictioner suggested I try Magnesium supplements in addition to potassium, its worked up until now. No new medications.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-29-2013, 09:29 AM
I would do a good leg stretch before bed. Is it your quads, hamstrings, calves? Stretching and some deep breathing will help to relax tight muscles and deliver good oxygen to all muscles in your body. And as already suggested... water :)

Calves mostly. I've had them in my toes and ankles too and a few times inner thighs. I have my annual check up in about three weeks they'll do bloodwork then maybe I'll figure it out?

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-29-2013, 09:30 AM
If it's your calves, try sleeping with those foam toe separators. Those things you use when you're painting your toenails. It prevents the cramp from pulling your toes back and helps keep that back calf muscle stretched out. Hope you get it resolved one way or another! Those are miserable. :(

Hmmm...interesting idea and worth trying. I know I've got at least one at home already. Thanks.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-29-2013, 09:35 AM
I get leg cramps a lot. What helps me is drinking a lot of water. I also have to keep my legs covered at night. I usually put extra blankets over my legs. If they get cold, I cramp. Last time it was so bad... from the foot all the way up to :blush:. I had to sit in the tub with hot hot water. I also have microwaveable heating pads and that helps as well. I have heard that drinking quinine water also can help but I have not tried it.

Hope you can find what helps you to get rid of the cramping.

I drank a boatload of water yesterday and it didn't help. I'm going to try some of the suggestions on here until I see my dr. in a couple of weeks. Hopefully its something we can figure out. I do take Zocor for chloresteral and my mom had to be taken off Lipitor once because of leg cramps so maybe its that. Its getting frustrating though. I've had occasional leg cramps all my life but last year and now were the only times I was having them nightly. Really needing some relief:sheep::sleepin:

crazypoohbear
09-29-2013, 10:45 PM
I get them a lot also, Sometimes it's my tendons not even the muscle! Especially the tendon that runs up the outside of my leg, over the ankle.
Sometimes in my feet too!
The pain is unbearable sometimes,

I try stretching, using hot water bottle, socks on my feet. I eat a banana every day, I don't drink water, ( I know, I know)
I do find sometimes if I drink certain wines I get them more, and was told it was the sulfites in the wine that causes the cramps.
If you drink wine, try to track that.
I feel your pain :blush: and wish you the best of luck, if your doc figures out anything please share!

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-30-2013, 05:37 PM
I get them a lot also, Sometimes it's my tendons not even the muscle! Especially the tendon that runs up the outside of my leg, over the ankle.
Sometimes in my feet too!
The pain is unbearable sometimes,

I try stretching, using hot water bottle, socks on my feet. I eat a banana every day, I don't drink water, ( I know, I know)
I do find sometimes if I drink certain wines I get them more, and was told it was the sulfites in the wine that causes the cramps.
If you drink wine, try to track that.
I feel your pain :blush: and wish you the best of luck, if your doc figures out anything please share!

I had started the month before drinking one glass of red wine every evening. I thought that might aggravate them so stopped it for a couple of weeks and it made no difference. On a positive note I did not have any last night and got the best nights sleep I've had in a while. I didn't do anything different so I'm still stumped

Lisaj13
10-01-2013, 03:36 PM
Two ideas.

1) Avoid caffeine in the evening.
2) Have your iron levels checked.

I had leg cramps when I was anemic. Iron pills got rid of them.

SBETigg
10-01-2013, 07:34 PM
I was having terrible leg cramps, and it turned out I was low in iron. Just like previous poster Lisa!

Doctor put me on a an iron supplement and it has been better. I already drink lots of water. At the same time, I discovered that I'm low in vitamin D, so I'm on a supplement for that, too. It might be a good time to check in with your doctor.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Not sure about my iron levels but my Vitamin D has been low. I was on prescription strength D but my insurance stopped paying for it and I am just buying the over the counter kind now. Maybe that's it. Actually the past three nights haven't been bad but once or twice I could feel them trying to cramp. still lot's better and able to sleep now;)

TheVBs
10-03-2013, 08:12 AM
So glad it's getting better!

DonLefNY
10-03-2013, 12:39 PM
I have this problem also. My doctor took me off my Lipitor (generic form) and they are going away. I've been off since mid August and the end off October I'll be going back on a lower dose or another type.

LVT
10-11-2013, 11:26 PM
I also had the low iron caused ones. At least iron is cheap.

PETE FROM NYC
10-12-2013, 06:12 PM
Quinine water helped me a bit. Cramps can also be caused by low potassium. Try eating a banana.

Simba's Mom
10-13-2013, 07:32 PM
My son used to get them while he slept the night after a soccer game. He swore by eating a banana before he went to bed as finally stopping them.

Middle of the Map
10-20-2013, 06:20 PM
My doctor put me on Pravastatin (generic) to avoid the side effects that come with other statins.
The advice to try a banana is also a good one - plenty of potassium there.

A friend of mine suffers from leg cramps and he finds that a Tablespoon of Brer Rabbit Molasses (no kidding) helps him. He uses the Unsulphered Full Flavored kind.

It's a trial and error thing, and I hope you find something that works for you.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-22-2013, 09:24 AM
Thanks me too...still having some problems but its not as bad as it was. I go to the dr. Thursday so maybe blood work will tell

Mickey'sGirl
10-22-2013, 10:01 AM
Quinine water helped me a bit. Cramps can also be caused by low potassium. Try eating a banana.

My Dad also uses Quinine for his leg cramps. Makes all the difference for him.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Dr. said it could be chloresteral (Zocor) or RLS meds (Sinemet). We are trying Lipitor instead of Zocor if that doesn't do it will try something new for RLS. Weird it seems that would be the least likely suspect since its for RLS?