PDA

View Full Version : Throw Away Old Park Maps?

Dream'nDisney
09-26-2013, 08:28 PM
I am trying to de-clutter and realized I have kept park maps from every trip to WDW we have taken. Is there any reason to keep them?

disney obsessed
09-26-2013, 09:26 PM
I don't think there is a reason beyond sentimental value. But if I could find one from one of the first years I went with my kids, I would love to frame it and use it as artwork. I threw mine out several years ago.

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-26-2013, 09:44 PM
I'd scan them, and throw the paper itself out ... unless you can think of something neat to do with them, like use them as background for scrapbooking, etc.

I would scan them first, so if you ever do want to reference something that has changed, then you still can, so no worries about not having the paper copies.

Maleficent_vf
09-26-2013, 10:18 PM
Oh my, I can't imagine getting rid of any of them! All things considered, they don't take up that much room...but I'm a keeper and clutter doesn't bother me.

gerald72
09-27-2013, 03:51 AM
Put them on eBay. You'll get a couple bucks.

NJGIRL
09-27-2013, 10:08 AM
No, not really. I am so into downsizing and have totally cleaned out my house in the last year. Anything you need can be found on the internet and is up to date.

Dream'nDisney
09-27-2013, 10:21 AM
No, not really. I am so into downsizing and have totally cleaned out my house in the last year. Anything you need can be found on the internet and is up to date.

My sentiments exactly! My MIL passed away last year (God rest her soul) and she was close to being a horder. It was really tough going through and getting rid of things. We still brought home several boxes of things. My hubby has a hard time letting anything go even if it really didn't have a significant meaning. So, I figure, if he sees me getting rid of Disney things (and he knows I'm a Disney freak), then he will have an easier time getting rid of not only his mother's clutter, but his own. We'll see how this works. Having to go through her excessive clutter made me realize I don't want my kids having to do the same thing some day.

Dream'nDisney
09-27-2013, 10:25 AM
Scanning them is an excellent idea. And maybe I will keep the ones from our first trip. I might just put one from each park in with my kids' pictures. That is another huge project I'm trying to tackle... organizing photos. ugh

NJGIRL
09-27-2013, 10:52 AM
My sentiments exactly! My MIL passed away last year (God rest her soul) and she was close to being a horder. It was really tough going through and getting rid of things. We still brought home several boxes of things. My hubby has a hard time letting anything go even if it really didn't have a significant meaning. So, I figure, if he sees me getting rid of Disney things (and he knows I'm a Disney freak), then he will have an easier time getting rid of not only his mother's clutter, but his own. We'll see how this works. Having to go through her excessive clutter made me realize I don't want my kids having to do the same thing some day.

Sorry, if I am taking your question into a different direction, but that is exactly why I started cleaning out my house. We plan on moving to a warmer climate in 5 or 6 years and I didn't want to have to go through 30 years of stuff and be pressured on what to take. I don't like to throw anything out because we keep our stuff nice and I know someone can use it, so there has been a lot of selling, donating and recycling going on here.

It's funny, I do find it hard to part with certain things, but once it's gone, I have never thought to myself, "I wish I would have kept that".

Scan your maps and keep one or two for your kids but get rid of the rest. After the first time you part with something you have kept for a long time it gets easier each time after that.

Dream'nDisney
09-28-2013, 08:04 PM
Thanks Rita. Sounds like a good plan.

Scott C
09-29-2013, 07:21 PM
I have all of mine since 1973.....

Thanks
Scott C

buzznwoodysmom
09-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Throw them out!!!!

I am the type of person that hates clutter! I try not to keep anything that we haven't used in the past year. We have only been in our current house for a little over 5 years and this year my New Years resolution was to go through each room and get rid of anything we don't plan to use. I have donated countless bags to goodwill and I am keeping my house clutter free! Some items can be hard to part with, but I agree with the poster that said once you get rid of the first few things it's much easier to continue. I have yet to regret throwing out anything.

Dream'nDisney
09-30-2013, 02:29 PM
Okay, here's what I did. I went through all of our past trip receipts, etc. and kept one park map for each park for each trip plus maybe one or two brochures from the particular resort we stayed at for each trip. It really narrowed down the paperwork. I am now going to put the park tickets for each trip in a sleeve in the back of each trip photo album. I can't believe I didn't think to do this before! :mickey::thumbsup:

TheVBs
10-03-2013, 08:10 AM
I was going to suggest adding them to a photo album or scrapbook if you couldn't bear to part with them! Glad you found a solution you were happy with. And great job on committing to organize and declutter! They're big jobs and can feel overwhelming. I've been in the process of it myself. I've found that letting go of certain things is sometimes a process. It may take a few rounds of clearing things out before you're ready to let go of something.

Susan A
10-03-2013, 10:50 AM
I've brought home maps from every trip (except from when I was a little kid).

No, I don't need them, but I can't part with them either. I did recycle multiple maps from the same trip. When we moved a few months ago, I knew I had too many. But, I'm one of those collectors... My kids like to look at the maps... I let them circle attractions.

When I eventually put all of the photos in an album, I'll tuck the maps in the back of them.

P.S.(I'm also someone who empties the complimentary toiletries everyday. I've gotten better. I've had too many mini bottles of shampoos rot at home under the sink). :ack:

LittleSpirit02
10-03-2013, 01:18 PM
I always think I'll go back and look at em which of course I hardly ever do unless I come upon them while cleaning/organizing. But it is cool to go back and see what the special parades were or what was different when you do find them. Maybe you could get those loose binder rings, punch holes in them and make a little book of em or something...

buzznwoodysmom
10-04-2013, 12:42 PM
P.S.(I'm also someone who empties the complimentary toiletries everyday. I've gotten better. I've had too many mini bottles of shampoos rot at home under the sink). :ack:

I had an abundance of hotel (mostly Disney) toiletries as well. What I did was bought a large glass jar with a lid and filled it with the bottles. Once the jar was full I threw the rest out. I keep the jar on the shelf in my boys/guest bathroom. If their friends forget something, or we have an overnight guest that needs something they can pick what they need out of the jar. The kiddos love picking Disney toiletries!

I also have a smaller glass jar that I put travel sized tubes of toothpaste and dollar store toothbrushes. I can't even tell you how often my kids company forgets their toothbrushes! :confused: The toothbrushes all came with little covers so I put the initials on the handle of the toothbrush, pop a protective cover on it so that child will have one on hand if he forgets again. Or in some cases the kid just takes it home with him.

disneynarula
10-06-2013, 06:27 AM
We scan alll our park momentos and then throw them away. I do have an old WDW resort map from when it was just Magic Kindgom and Epcot framed in our playroom. I despise clutter. When we go on trips another thing I do is frame a lot of momentos in a frame and hang it on the wall. I do not keep things in boxes and store them.