PDA

View Full Version : 401(k) Question

Mr. Brass Bonanza
09-25-2013, 10:21 AM
I left a company where I had a balance on a Fidelity 401(k) account and have since joined a new company. The balance on that account is only a couple hundred dollars and none of it is vested. When I tried to request a rollover it says no funds are available. If I have a balance, and none of it is vested, does that mean it's as good as nothing to me and I should just forget about it? Do I have any options? Thanks.

WishingStar2006
09-25-2013, 11:05 AM
Yes, if you are not vested...the money is not yours...assuming that this was all your employers money. If you cotributed anything to the 401K, then you are entitled to receive that back, only.

Ian
09-26-2013, 06:54 PM
Yes, if you are not vested...the money is not yours...assuming that this was all your employers money. If you cotributed anything to the 401K, then you are entitled to receive that back, only.This is correct. "Vesting" only applies to company contributions to a 401k plan, not to your contributions. Those are yours (subject to the IRS rules and regulations that govern these types of plans) to do with as you see fit.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-26-2013, 09:53 PM
Eventually they'll do a redistribution and those funds will be absorbed back into the plan. That's if they have someone whose administering the plan. We do this every couple of years.