PDA

View Full Version : Basal Cell Carcinoma

Jeri Lynn
09-24-2013, 01:12 PM
Hi Everyone,
I had a biopsy today on the skin on my nose because I've had a spot that would bleed and then heal, and bleed and so on...a skn biopsy was done and he really feels it's BSC.

I'd appreciate any insight from those who might have dealt with this. I know it's a common skin cancer and so forth. I am concerned about how they will take care of it, it is located on the nostril portion of my nose. I'm afraid of bad scarring.

I'm not sure what questions to ask. Would I see a general surgeon or a plastic surgeon.

TIA.

p.s. my trip is in 52 days!!

SBETigg
09-24-2013, 01:57 PM
Good question, Jeri Lynn. I have the same thing going on, but I haven't seen a doctor for it. So I guess I will get on that, because it's probably the same thing, yikes. Looking forward to responses.

My mom had this ten years ago, and it was a simple procedure with no lasting scars. I think the key is to catch it early. I believe it was a general surgeon, but she would have seen a plastic surgeon afterwards to deal with scarring, had there been anything major. I would have to call and ask her, and she would be concerned for me, so... we'll see what others have to say. I know she had to be extra careful with protecting herself from sun exposure afterwards. Best wishes for an easy procedure.

hoop de do
09-24-2013, 03:10 PM
Being it's on your nose I'd recommend a plastic surgeon. My DW had two removed (forehead) and that is the course we took. Everything worked out fine and I'm sure it will for you also.
Catching it early is the key and it sounds like you did.
Let us know how everything worked out.
:tink::pixie:

1DisneyNut
09-24-2013, 03:26 PM
I had one about two years ago on the side of my face about an inch or so from my ear, below the side burn area.

Get it taken care of as quickly as possible. They just keep growing deeper and larger so early treatment is important.

I went to my dermatologist. She used a shaver/skinner sort of blade to take mine for a biopsy. It came back basal cell carcinoma. She was going to set me up an appointment with a surgeon but after the biopsy, it completely healed up. I got lucky and she actually got all of it with the biopsy. I watched it closely for a couple of months and it completely went away and hasn't returned. Mine just left a place where the skin is lighter than the surrounding skin but no deformity or roughness.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-26-2013, 09:59 PM
Since it's on your face, you want to consult with a plastic surgeon, just in case. And you definitely want to have it taken care of ASAP as it can turn into malignant melanoma if I remember correctly. And once you have it removed, you should go for a full body scan with the dermatologist at least once a year if not more often initially.

Here are the basics on skin cancers:

The vast majority of skin cancers are basal cell carcinomas and squamous cells carcinomas. While malignant, these are unlikely to spread to other parts of the body. They may be locally disfiguring if not treated early.
A small but significant number of skin cancers are malignant melanomas. Malignant melanoma is a highly aggressive cancer that tends to spread to other parts of the body. These cancers may be fatal if not treated early.

Like many cancers, skin cancers start as precancerous lesions. These precancerous lesions are changes in skin that are not cancer, but could become cancer over time. Medical professionals often refer to these changes as dysplasia. Some specific dysplastic changes that occur in skin are as follows:

Actinic keratosis is an area of red or brown, scaly, rough skin, which can develop into squamous cell carcinoma.
A nevus is a mole, and abnormal moles are called dysplastic nevi. These can develop into melanoma over time.

Jeri Lynn
09-27-2013, 07:25 AM
Thank you for all the replies. I appreciate all the input and information!

MNNHFLTX
09-27-2013, 06:24 PM
I have had family members who have had small spots of basal cell carcinoma removed, so I thought I'd throw my two cents worth in. BSC is the the most common and slowest growing of the skin cancers. It will not change into melanoma almost never spreads to other parts of your body and it usually doesn't extend very deeply into the underlying skin tissue. I would think your doctor will be able to guide you in the next step. Assuming they're a dermatologist and the lesion is small, they may be able to remove it in the office. If there's a chance of extensive scarring he may have you see a plastic surgeon.

My brother had a spot on his cheek removed and fortunately it wasn't very extensive. After it was removed and healed up the only thing you could see was a shallow little pit in the skin. You wouldn't notice it unless you were looking for it.

Jeri Lynn
09-30-2013, 04:40 PM
Thanks everyone,
The biopsy came back and it is positive.

They wanted to schedule me for surgery on 10/31 but I explained how I am going away and so forth so I will be going in on Wednesday for MOHS surgery. My sister in law had the same doctor and was very happy with her.

Wish me luck!

VWL Mom
09-30-2013, 08:08 PM
My thoughts will be with you. Hope everything goes well.

(I figured a little pixie dust can't hurt.)
:pixie::pixie::pixie:

Jeri Lynn
10-15-2013, 06:55 AM
Thanks everyone, I had my procedure done on October 3rd. It went well, I think I will have a little scar but probably only noticable by me. The doctor said it was a difficult place. They had to go in twice before they got clear boundries. I am still healing, and my nose is still a little tender...I am glad to have it over with!!

SBETigg
10-15-2013, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the update, Jeri Lynn! Glad you are done with it.