PDA

View Full Version : Seven Seas Lagoon mystery??

jclightchasr
09-23-2013, 02:12 PM
If you go onto google earth and zoom in on seven seas lagoon there are 3 islands in it. The island closest to the middle has some apparent construction activities on it. Does anyone know what this island is used by Disney for?

SBETigg
09-23-2013, 03:11 PM
No idea, but I went out to look. I don't see obvious construction, or maybe I just don't have an educated eye when it comes to that. Looks like they might be storing something there. I always assumed they maybe used the islands for operational or storage issues, or not at all. So, good question. Reading up, looks like the smaller island closer to the Polynesian was originally for the wave machine they had when the Polynesian opened, but I haven't found any other information.

PopPhan
09-23-2013, 03:16 PM
Wasn't that an animal sanctuary prior to Animal Kingdom being built? It is possible that these are remnants of that sanctuary.

jclightchasr
09-23-2013, 03:19 PM
The Polynesian used to have waves??? Too cool!
Perhaps I was a bit over zealous with the term construction. They do appear to be storage containers of some sort and some small structures along with a rock wall. Of course this sets my imagination to conjuring up thoughts of secret VIP locations and other elaborate delusions of granduer.

jclightchasr
09-23-2013, 03:33 PM
Wasn't that an animal sanctuary prior to Animal Kingdom being built? It is possible that these are remnants of that sanctuary.

The animal sanctuary was discovery island in bay lake, one of the abandoned areas of Disney along with river country. Both of which are totally overgrown now. I saw YouTube footage of river country with the main pool 1/3 full totally stagnant and trees fallen over paths and even one of the water slides. Yet the lights are on and the music still plays.
I have been checking out Disney from google earth finding what may be new projects or abandoned ones. Today I also came across three gondola shaped long boats sitting in a yard behind MK. They were about the length of nearby tractor trailers. Haven't a clue what they are for.

kakn7294
09-23-2013, 03:42 PM
When the Poly first opened, there were waves that rolled onto the beach. However, they soon discovered that the waves were eroding said beach rather quickly and the wave machine was shut off but never removed.

SBETigg
09-23-2013, 06:09 PM
When the Poly first opened, there were waves that rolled onto the beach. However, they soon discovered that the waves were eroding said beach rather quickly and the wave machine was shut off but never removed.

I think I read that it was finally removed. And along with the beach erosion, the waves posed a hazard to boats going in and out of the area. The waves were apparently large enough to surf in, which is pretty wild to imagine. It didn't last long at all.

Polynesian Dweller
09-23-2013, 06:44 PM
If you go onto google earth and zoom in on seven seas lagoon there are 3 islands in it. The island closest to the middle has some apparent construction activities on it. Does anyone know what this island is used by Disney for?

In the pictures I've found, based on the near finished GF DVC, I think that was the area used as- firing pot for the 360 fireworks on July 4.

Main Street Jim
09-23-2013, 07:00 PM
Fireworks storage/launch site for 4th of July "double shots".

Main Street Jim
09-23-2013, 07:01 PM
I think I read that it was finally removed. And along with the beach erosion, the waves posed a hazard to boats going in and out of the area. The waves were apparently large enough to surf in, which is pretty wild to imagine. It didn't last long at all.About six months :)

kakn7294
09-23-2013, 11:25 PM
I think I read that it was finally removed. And along with the beach erosion, the waves posed a hazard to boats going in and out of the area. The waves were apparently large enough to surf in, which is pretty wild to imagine. It didn't last long at all.

Now that you mention it, I think I also read that it was finally removed as well. It would have been cool if it had worked out.

steamboat willy
09-24-2013, 11:02 AM
When DISNEY opened in Oct. 1971, the island in the middle of SSL was used to launch the FIREWORKS nightly before Firework launch pads were moved behind the castle. They still use the island for special Firework Shows, so they are dark, almost camouflaged structures on this particular island.
The island in front of the Poly used to have a experimental "Wave Machine" that produced 5 foot waves to the beach between Luau Cove and the Grand Floridian Resort. The surf-able waves were causing beach erosion which lead to it being discontinued. The boats were instructed to not go around this island during testing, but guest on My Boat, even the World Cruise Paddle Wheeler were given an "E" Ticket Ride for free.
As for the Boat seen behind the Castle to the right is "Dry Dock" where DISNEY's Navy are stored over night, maintenance and repairs are made. I can see boats moored to docks, boats lifted completely out of water, etc....:fworks::tikki::sail:

DonaldDuckUSA
09-24-2013, 02:44 PM
I love this post! I have, from time to time, checked out Disney World on google maps. Mainly, it helps me get my "disney fix" but I also like checking out things like what you posted.

SPOILER ALERT: Parking lots behind main street! CRAZY!!!!

Main Street Jim
09-24-2013, 09:19 PM
I love this post! I have, from time to time, checked out Disney World on google maps. Mainly, it helps me get my "disney fix" but I also like checking out things like what you posted.

SPOILER ALERT: Parking lots behind main street! CRAZY!!!!If you're referring to the "Tomorrowland" side (between Main Street and Tomorrowland, on the southeast side of the park), Management will occasionally open this up for guests to walk through if the park is at capacity, especially during parades (4th of July, Christmas/New Year's week, etc.).

Lindsey
09-25-2013, 12:20 PM
I saw YouTube footage of river country with the main pool 1/3 full totally stagnant and trees fallen over paths and even one of the water slides. Yet the lights are on and the music still plays.

My husband and I really enjoyed that little water park. It's bizarre seeing it empty and overgrown. :rub:

Aurora
09-25-2013, 02:25 PM
If you're referring to the "Tomorrowland" side (between Main Street and Tomorrowland, on the southeast side of the park), Management will occasionally open this up for guests to walk through if the park is at capacity, especially during parades (4th of July, Christmas/New Year's week, etc.).

Yes, they did this on one of our June trips a few years ago during the "Magic, Memories and You" show. One of the cast members told us they were opening it up but we needed to meet family members in the other direction, so we didn't see backstage. :(