PDA

View Full Version : Friend who is 5'2", 305 pounds....will she be able to enjoy the rides?

heidik
09-22-2013, 11:40 AM
I want to take my friend to WDW in January but she is hesitant about being able to ride the rides, for example...Star Tours, Soarin', etc.. The last time I went was in 2006 and I can't remember how the seats are but told her it shouldn't be an issue and that she will have a good time. Am I right or will there be issues? I don't want her to be embarrassed and have a good time. She is living a healthier lifestyle and working on it so I don't want this to hurt her progress.

PopPhan
09-22-2013, 01:07 PM
:welcome: to INTERCOT!!

To answer your question.....There are a lot of rides that have 'test vehicles' that will allow someone "Pooh sized" to check whether they could, or would be comfortable to, ride. Disney does a pretty good job of accommodating most shapes and sizes of visitors. If the 'test vehicle' is not in sight, just ask a CM if there is one and where it would be located.

I am on the "Pooh sized" list myself and have had no problems on any Disney attraction.

divinedi
09-22-2013, 01:21 PM
I'm also pooh sized and do quite nicely. Here is a link to a place right here on Intercot that may help you help her.
http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/misc/largeandincharge.asp

Good luck and have a great trip!!

kakn7294
09-22-2013, 05:54 PM
I would say she would be fine. I'm 5'4" and weigh about 315 lbs and I'm fine. My biggest problem is my lack of coordination getting in and out of some ride vehicles. My tip of the day - pull the seatbelts out and latch them around yourself before sitting.

texas211
09-22-2013, 08:53 PM
I would say she would be fine. I'm 5'4" and weigh about 315 lbs and I'm fine. My biggest problem is my lack of coordination getting in and out of some ride vehicles. My tip of the day - pull the seatbelts out and latch them around yourself before sitting.

I thought I invented that move.

Having a small keychain flashlight helps so you can buckle a little easier. Especially helpful on Soarin and Dinosaur.

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-22-2013, 09:23 PM
Yes! She will be fine.

The only attraction that may be a little tight is the "Sum of all Fears" design your own coaster in Epcot.

Disney does a great job of accommodating everyone, even us who are pooh sized.

disneydeb
09-22-2013, 09:35 PM
Disney is very accommodating, Universal is a squeeze. I think she will be fine.
:mickey:

mechanic
09-23-2013, 01:09 AM
Could be issue on space mountain.
I'm 6'2 340. I found it a tight fit.

PETE FROM NYC
09-23-2013, 05:35 PM
DW is 5-5 and a 400#. She has trouble w/ a bunch of attractions: Star Tours, Dinosaur, Toy Story Mania, etc.
I am also Pooh sized , but have more issues due to bad knees that my size. Some rides I have trouble getting out of the car, or boat, especially if its a tight fit to begin with, can't get the leverage I need.

DonaldDuckUSA
09-24-2013, 03:19 PM
Disney is very accommodating, Universal is a squeeze. I think she will be fine.
:mickey:

I have a friend who was very upset by her experience at Universal due to the size of the seats, lack of alternative seats, and cast members were rude about it. She's never had this problem at Disney.

heidik
09-29-2013, 04:16 PM
The information that you all provided is great!! Thanks a lot! It will put her mind to ease!

brivers222
10-08-2013, 06:16 AM
I am 5'9" and around 300lbs and was able to comfortably fit in every single thing in disney... except TOT (bc wife is a chicken and didn't want me to go alone lol)

jcvalenti
10-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Last trip I was 6'3" 300# - was able to ride everything at Disney although there were a few rides that were rather uncomfortable because of my height - Space Mountain and Splash Mountain in particular (I had to sit side saddle to get my legs right) - but I can't recall any being an issue because of weight. Even Rock N Roller Coaster, which had a pulldown roll bar, was okay. Universal was much tougher, with several rides being impossible for my size.

Frankly, when it comes to Disney, the walking and heat were bigger issues for me at my "plus" size than the ride restraints.

Hopefully next year's trip will be even easier - down 50# in the last 2 months thanks to a low-carb diet and some weekly trips to the gym.

GoldenDreams
10-21-2013, 10:40 PM
No one else seems to have a problem with it, but you may want to be careful with the Winnie the Pooh ride. The doorways are narrow and the lap-bar is in the way getting on & off the ride. I don't think the seats are a problem, just the getting on & off. But there are a lot of rides that are a breeze, so you should definitely have her go. Have a great time!