PDA

View Full Version : Rotator cuff injury?

MNNHFLTX
09-21-2013, 12:42 PM
To anyone on the boards that has had a rotator cuff problem--what were your symptoms? I have been having pain over my deltoid muscle (upper arm at the shoulder) for almost three weeks and am trying to decide what to do. It mainly happens when I raise my arm above my shoulder, especially if I twist it inward at the same time, and it pretty much aches continuously at night when I'm in bed. I have also noticed mild weakness in that arm. I'm thinking that it might just be tendonitis and will go away with time. I am already taking a prescription NSAID for ongoing back issues (which I can deal with) and really don't have time right now to go to the doctor and do the requisite xrays, etc. Looking for any insight/experience you all might have. Thanks!

AgentC
09-21-2013, 01:00 PM
My mom has has rotator surgery twice. I know not being able to life your arm above your shoulder is part of it. She also has pain at the point of her shoulder , constant pain sometime radiating down to the shoulder. I'll ask her for more details when I talk to her later today.

tundramom
09-21-2013, 02:55 PM
It may be impingement syndrome. Try adjusting your posture, particularly getting your shoulder blades down and in (when they ride wide and high it increases the chance of impingement). Try resetting them and slowly lift your arm, if it doesn't pinch- time to work out those interscaps. The fact that elevation and internal rotation is provoking (+Hawkins) it sounds like at a minimum RTC tendonitis. Keep up c NSAIDs, ice, stretch but do not hold at endrange that reproduces symptoms because you do not benefit from prolonged pressure on a nerve.

BrerGnat
09-21-2013, 07:47 PM
This could be a shot in the dark, but I had a similar issue with shoulder pain. I got a massage, mentioned it to my masseuse, and she ended up working out a fairly significant knot on the side of my neck, under my ear. When she was done, the shoulder pain was GONE. It hasn't returned either. Might be worth considering a massage. I never would have suspected that the source of my shoulder pain was my neck muscles.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-23-2013, 08:06 PM
I've been fighting the same type of thing but in my case it's an inflamed shoulder. I got three cortisone shots and thought it was going to work. But after about 8 weeks, it's coming back. The ortho said the next step may have to be orthoscopic (sp?) surgery to shave down the bone so that the 4 muscles that join under the shoulder blade have room to move as they are supposed to. Don't wait too long to have it checked in case it is something torn. Good luck with it.

Lindsey310
09-24-2013, 06:07 PM
To anyone on the boards that has had a rotator cuff problem--what were your symptoms? I have been having pain over my deltoid muscle (upper arm at the shoulder) for almost three weeks and am trying to decide what to do. It mainly happens when I raise my arm above my shoulder, especially if I twist it inward at the same time, and it pretty much aches continuously at night when I'm in bed. I have also noticed mild weakness in that arm. I'm thinking that it might just be tendonitis and will go away with time. I am already taking a prescription NSAID for ongoing back issues (which I can deal with) and really don't have time right now to go to the doctor and do the requisite xrays, etc. Looking for any insight/experience you all might have. Thanks!

I am a Xray and MRI tech and I work for an orthopedic. Did you have an injury? Sounds like a tear of some sort but it could be slap tear, supraspinatus tear, label tear or RTC tear. The fact that it's aching at night is reason enough to get it checked out. I would try and bypass the xray...it won't show anything besides arthritis or a fracture (which I doubt you have) you need an MRI to confirm a tear. Good luck! :thumbsup:

25 days!!!! :joy:

garymacd
09-25-2013, 09:33 PM
This could be a shot in the dark, but I had a similar issue with shoulder pain. I got a massage, mentioned it to my masseuse, and she ended up working out a fairly significant knot on the side of my neck, under my ear. When she was done, the shoulder pain was GONE. It hasn't returned either. Might be worth considering a massage. I never would have suspected that the source of my shoulder pain was my neck muscles.
I was going to suggest the same thing. I have had ongoing issues with my right shoulder and find that it is worse when I am strength training. During the summer when my focus is on cycling, my shoulder isn't so bad.

Massage certainly eases the problem. I can usually reach one of the trigger spots, but I was surprised at the number of spots that needed to be eased.

It might take a couple of trips or find yourself a really good deep tissue/active release massage therapist for faster results.

MNNHFLTX
09-25-2013, 11:25 PM
Thank you for the replies, they've given me food for thought. I'm not much into massages, but I'll consider it if it gives me some relief. I don't remember a specific incident where I injured my shoulder. My husband will say it's a repetitive injury from vacuuming too much. ;) Anyway, I know I shouldn't try to diagnose myself but oh we'll. There's a saying that nurses make the worst patients and i must admit that it's true.

brownie
09-26-2013, 05:55 AM
I had exactly what you're describing with my right rotator cuff. It took a good 6 months of not lifting my arm up over my head and sleeping on my back so I didn't sleep with my arm raised before it healed. As my doctor explained it, the challenge as we get older is that there's less space in the shoulder joint so movement is more likely to keep irritating anything that is inflamed.

MNNHFLTX
09-26-2013, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the info, Steve. What your doctor said makes sense.

Scott C
10-18-2013, 09:48 PM
Any update, I seem to be suffering from a similar condition.......

Thanks
Scott c