PDA

View Full Version : Garlic Sauce

NJGIRL
09-20-2013, 05:20 PM
I love the string beans in garlic sauce that I get at Chinese restaurants. I have bought Chinese garlic sauce at the grocery store and added red pepper to it at home and it's pretty good, but not as good as at the restaurant. Has anyone made homemade garlic sauce at home that tastes just like at the restaurant? I would love to get the recipe.

BrerGnat
09-20-2013, 05:47 PM
Google "Chinese garlic sauce". Hit on the top response. That is a very basic and classic recipe. There are a few others but I suspect most restaurants use a version of that one.

NJGIRL
09-20-2013, 05:58 PM
Google "Chinese garlic sauce". Hit on the top response. That is a very basic and classic recipe. There are a few others but I suspect most restaurants use a version of that one.

Thanks Natalie, I found it, but I don't have half the ingredients I would need in my kitchen. I'm not a cook and have never even heard of rice vinegar. lol :D

I am going to try to get everything on my next shopping trip.

BrerGnat
09-20-2013, 06:01 PM
Rice Vinegar is delicious! I put it in sliced cucumbers and eat them like that. SO good.

I don't much like sesame oil though. I find it too strong. I usually only use a couple drops and substitute another oil when it's called for.

You can find all that stuff in the Asian section of most supermarkets.

MNNHFLTX
09-20-2013, 07:16 PM
That recipe is similar to what I make except that I use less sugar and instead of chili sauce I use hot chili oil. We like spicy at our house. :D

NJGIRL
09-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Thanks girls! Can't wait to try my own. I love spicy too. :thumbsup:

DVC2004
09-23-2013, 01:08 PM
I don't know if this is just like at the resatuarants ( I love those beans too!), but what I do is take 1 TBS olive oil and mince up a couple cloves of garlic. You can really use as much or as little as you want. Then I heat the oil, sautee the garlic then add the raw green beans. I also add red pepper flakes. Again, as much or as little as you like. I stry fry that with a little soy sauce. It gives a nice flavor and the beans blister. If you have or get some fresh ginger, you can grate a little on to it and sautee that as well. Super easy, too.

SBETigg
09-23-2013, 01:25 PM
Love those green beans in garlic sauce, too.

Story about them: had a bag of leftovers from PF Chang in our mall, green beans in garlic sauce. Really strong smell but I couldn't finish and did not want to leave them behind. So I took them to go. We're walking through the mall, and I split up from husband to do some separate shopping. He calls me from the men's department of Macy's "You have to get over here, I'm standing next to Tedy Bruschi."

Tedy Bruschi! He used to play for the Patriots but he's on ESPN now (which is in nearby Bristol CT). One of the greatest guys in football legend, had a stroke but came back to play. Plus, he's got a great smile. So I ran over there, just in time, Tedy is paying for his underwear. But I realize that I'm holding this bag of reeking green beans that I do not want to lose. So I stood back from afar and watched Tedy, one of my longtime idols, simply pay and leave, instead of being that fan who ran up to adore him reeking of garlic. The green beans won. I'm not sorry. But if you knew how fine the man looked in person, you might think I made the wrong choice.