PDA

View Full Version : Home sales parties...

TheVBs
09-19-2013, 08:25 AM
Fair warning, I just need to vent on this topic. Normally I avoid these things like the plague, haven't been to one in years. But my neighbor asked me to a jewelry one she was having and I just adore her so I didn't want to say no.

First of all, the sales woman wanted us to play all these stupid games. Why is it that when a group of women get together for some kind of party it's a requirement to throw all dignity out the window and play stupid games? Huge apologies to anyone who enjoys them, not judging you! I just don't understand it.

Second, the jewelry was very cute but horribly overpriced. All costume, no genuine stones or metals, but several pieces were priced well over $100. I could get my sister a nice turquoise and silver piece for that amount.

Third, the woman was charging a flat shipping rate, so I had to pay nearly $5 shipping for a tiny pair of earrings I bought. THEN she charged tax on the shipping! Technically, that's legal in this state, but NOBODY does it. It reminded me of when I went to a food home sales show and the woman there charged me shipping even though she was HANDING me the products! If I weren't the guests of friends both times I would have not gone through with the purchases, which I guess is what they're counting on.

Anyway, I just wanted to complain. :blush: Thanks!

buzznwoodysmom
09-19-2013, 08:59 AM
I absolutely hate these home sales parties. I have never hosted one, and never will!!! All of my family and friends know not to invite me to them because I will not go.

However, like you, I felt bad telling a neighbor friend no, so I went to her jewelry party about 2 years ago and it reminded me of why I can't stand these parties. Cheaply made jewelry, that cost far too much, and the silly games, not to mention the feeling you get that you have to make a purchase. Ugh!

Ms. Mode
09-19-2013, 09:56 AM
Yes, our Pastor's wife had one of these jewlrey parties recently; I really wanted to go to support her, but I looked up the website on the jewlrey and found the pricing first...NO way could I afford that...so I stayed home. :blush:

Hate to say it, but 31 does the same thing with the tax and shipping stuff. I guess it's how they make the payroll for the independent sales people?

Disney4us2
09-19-2013, 11:07 AM
I have been to many "parties" and hosted some as well. Haven't done one or been to one in years.

I did like the Pampered Chef products and still use them all the time. That goes for the Tupperware too. Now if I need one of those products... I just look it up on Ebay. No more parties for me.

SBETigg
09-19-2013, 11:41 AM
I hate them, too. And even worse, now some of my Facebook friends try having "parties" on Facebook, and it's even more chance to end up feeling obligated to buy something. Granted, I prefer not having to spend time at someone's house playing the stupid games (Yes, why? Why?) but it's still a hassle and I end up buying things I don't want. Only when it's a better acquaintance or relative but... ugh.

TheDuckRocks
09-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Add me to the list of women who absolutely hate, hate, hate these stupid parties. I'm so glad I have finally reached a point in my life that I have no hesitation to say no to any and all invitations to attend one. I don't care if it's my very best friend, my daughter, the ministers wife or a fund raiser for my favorite charity. No way am I going and don't even ask if I want to get something from the catalog.

disney obsessed
09-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Never!

Belle of the Ball 051411
09-19-2013, 01:06 PM
Amen! I have a friend who is constantly hosting these home parties and I always make up an excuse as to why I can't go. I don't have the heart to tell her I don't want to spend money on ****. And whenever you go to those parties you always feel obligated to buy something... Hate them!

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-19-2013, 01:26 PM
Never had a party, but get invited all the time. I attend some, depends on who's inviting me. I've had casual acquaintances invite me and I don't go. If its a good friend, I try to buy something but its usually something out of the lower priced items.

rkmemkc
09-19-2013, 01:31 PM
I did like the Pampered Chef products and still use them all the time.

I totally agree....I love Pampered Chef as well. The parties were always yummy. It's amazing what you can do with baking stones and Pillsbury Dough! :thumbsup:

Kenny1113
09-19-2013, 03:21 PM
Add me as another one who hates them!

TheVBs
09-20-2013, 07:17 AM
I didn't think I would be alone! :)

Forgot to mention that I "won" a party myself. She handed out these little purses with prize slips in them and there was supposed to be one "grand prize" of winning your own party. I know for a fact more than one of them had that slip and I would be willing to bet the actual prizes, like free shipping or a discount were by far in the minority. Now this woman is stalking me and there's no way I'm going to have a party. She's also tried offering the catalog and facebook party options. Not gonna happen either. She actually keeps using the phrase "I know you'll have a party like you promised!" I'm going to do my best not to be rude, but it's time to be very firm. I get that these things are huge pyramid schemes and the only way these people make money is to recruit salespeople underneath them. It's all just so sordid.

I have tried the Pampered Chef products before and have enjoyed them. But like this jewelry, I remember it being overpriced for what it was. And, this was the party where the woman charged me shipping on items she was HANDING me. That puts you off a product in a big way. In many ways, with many people, these companies have got to be shooting themselves in the foot.

Anyway, you guys are great! Thanks for letting me vent and sharing your opinions and experiences with me! :)

Aurora
09-20-2013, 10:31 AM
Full disclosure: I used to be a distributor for DK books. I wasn't very good at it; I just liked the books. But here's what I learned.

The reasons people keep having these parties, complete with game-playing, is that they work. They sell things. They make money. The woman is telling you you'll have the party "like you promised' because she's using a sales tactic: guilt.

You don't have to fall for any of these. You don't have to feel guilty for not accepting an invitation. You don't have to believe the line on the invite that says, "Don't feel obligated to buy anything -- just come and have a good time!" (or "girls night out," or whatever the sales line is).

These days, if you really like the product, you can buy it from a distributor directly. Tell them straight out you like the products but have no intention of selling them yourself or hosting a party. If they won't sell you what you want, find another distributor who will.

Oh, and regarding the shipping cost. If they don't charge you shipping, even if they're handing you the items, it comes out of their own pocket. Because they paid for shipping themselves to receive the product.

tinkwest
09-20-2013, 10:48 AM
I think the Home Party's time has come and gone. There was a time when the "average housewife" may have been happy to have a reason to leave the home and go out for some time with friends. Now, with more people in the work force I would venture to say that spending the evening at home relaxing is more enticing.

I've gone to my share of Tupperware parties and they served their purpose. That was 35 years ago. There were no other products such as Rubbermaid or Glad on store shelves competing with them. There wasn't the ease of popping on to Amazon and pressing a button to order the product.

I don't need to go to any more Home Parties of any kind. From my perspective they haven't changed their presentations or sales pitches (like the OP said - silly games, phoney prizes) over the years and they have become boring and uninteresting.

If there are any of you reading this whose livelihood is a Home Party Distributor I wish you every success. I could not do your job.

VWL Mom
09-20-2013, 02:22 PM
I absolutely hate these home sales parties. I have never hosted one, and never will!!! All of my family and friends know not to invite me to them because I will not go.

:ditto:

Terra
09-20-2013, 02:30 PM
Add me to the I don't like them either camp!

In the past I've often gone out of guilt. But not anymore and I do buy from the distributor directly as well if I want something. Generally though I find comparable products in the store so it's not even a good deal.

And to be honest, I'm not really into a lot of that "cutesy" stuff like 31 Products, Mary Kay, Jewelry stuff, etc.

AZ Disney
09-20-2013, 03:33 PM
I guess I'm clearly the odd one out here, but I really enjoy some of these parties. I love my girlfriend time and some of the great products offered. They are way overpriced at times, but they have some good deals too. I do not enjoy hosting and I'm clearly upfront that I'm not booking a party. But hey, fun with the girls and little financial support is okay by me.

Melanie
09-20-2013, 03:40 PM
These types of parties are very popular (still) in military communities, so I've been to my share. They are especially popular overseas, as it's not so simple to get the stuff as it would be here in the States. One thing I wouldn't do is host one though. I don't like pressuring anyone to do anything, so being that I sometimes feel this way at these parties, I don't want to put anyone out.

TheVBs
09-21-2013, 07:53 AM
Full disclosure: I used to be a distributor for DK books. I wasn't very good at it; I just liked the books. But here's what I learned.

The reasons people keep having these parties, complete with game-playing, is that they work. They sell things. They make money. The woman is telling you you'll have the party "like you promised' because she's using a sales tactic: guilt.

You don't have to fall for any of these. You don't have to feel guilty for not accepting an invitation. You don't have to believe the line on the invite that says, "Don't feel obligated to buy anything -- just come and have a good time!" (or "girls night out," or whatever the sales line is).

These days, if you really like the product, you can buy it from a distributor directly. Tell them straight out you like the products but have no intention of selling them yourself or hosting a party. If they won't sell you what you want, find another distributor who will.

Oh, and regarding the shipping cost. If they don't charge you shipping, even if they're handing you the items, it comes out of their own pocket. Because they paid for shipping themselves to receive the product.

Thanks for the support! :) I promise I won't get guilted into a party. I should have been up front about that, but I didn't want to seem rude while I was in a neighbor's home.

To those of you who enjoy them - not judging you at all! So glad you do and have the opportunity to go. Me - never again!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-23-2013, 08:28 PM
I had a friend that had these kind of parties and that was the ONLY time I ever heard from her. So needless to say, I didn't feel the need to even respond whether I was going or not. She finally got the hint and stopped inviting me. And even better, finally moved out of state! So no more invites. I avoid these parties at all costs.

TinkerbellT421
09-25-2013, 11:25 PM
I recently stopped going to these parties. I I am with you on this. I get guilted into going then they get out of control, I end up feeling guilted into buying SOMETHING with the no money that I have, then I buy stuff I don't want or need with money I don't have. Then, the "hostess" that has one ends up having one every month for all different things, Athenas, Scentsy, Tupperware, Pampered Chef....now she just sent me another evite for some other stupid thing, I have recently decided to just start saying no to everything, I am broke as a joke and can't afford, leave me a lone with this stuff!!! :mad::-o

DVC2004
09-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I don't go anymore. Everything, no matter what it is (jewelry, purses, Tupperware) is always very over priced. Add on top of that it's also nothing I usually need or want. Then you feel obligated to buy something, so you are searching the catalog madly for the smallest, cheapest item. And don't forget the confrontation to host your own party next. Ugh.

The last one I went to was a Pampered Chef party. Boy the was painful. Not only was it' the sales rep's 1st party/show, but she didn't know how to cook. And everything was geared toward fast microwave cooking which I do not do (other then to heat frozen foods). She struggled with the directions and every small step, even cutting vegetables was a challenge. Ugh. It lasted almost 4 hours and all I could think is this is 4 hours of my life I am never getting back. No more.

princessgirls
09-26-2013, 01:49 PM
I avoid these home parties at all costs... and I agree that they have seen their time. Most of us Mom's are still running around with our kids activities until after 9pm.

I did go to a Tastefully Simple party a few months ago, and I thought was good for a few reasons... The sales consultant set up all of her dips and fun things all around the dining room and kitchen counter tops. You could mingle, talk to your friends and sample the various items, AND she had stuff there to sell. No shipping.
It was a win/win.
Julie:mickey: