PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing Crocodiles @ Animal Kingdom!

Mogie
09-17-2013, 11:12 PM
So in 2011 my wife and I did the Wild Africa Trek. It was awesome. You wear the harnesses, they march you through the jungle, latch you to a tether and hang you over a pit filled with dozens of GIANT crocodiles. These things were huge. 1000 pounds each. Massive! You saw hippos too. But seeing the Crocs up and close was the best.

The Crocodiles were available on the Safari as well. You know you go over the shaky bridge, look to the side and giant crocs ready! Exciting right?!

...Well apparently A LOT of people didnt think so.

ALL of the crocodiles are GONE from the Animal Kingdom. Gone from the safari, gone from the jungle trek...gone.

I asked a Cast Member what happened to them and she stopped and thought for a minute and said, "yeah 'they' completely redesigned the whole safari ride theme. They changed just about everything. (I been on it a dozen times over 4 years, they changed the poacher theme, and the Crocs thats it...) I asked, to make it less of a scare factor with the poachers and the crocodiles? She responded "yes, they wanted it to be more friendly to a wider group, i forget exactly what they told me to say, but thats about it."

Well I think that sux. The crocodiles were awesome. Massive ancient creatures you never ever see, unless youre on the unlucky end of a trip down the Nile river.

So a couple theories: Now while I was on the jungle trek, they mentioned that once in a while, a turkey vulture (the giant black vultures they never mention because they are native to Florida and feed on the massive RAT problem at Animal Kingom) will get snatched by a crocodile. It will just reflex and snap a bird whole in its jaws, gulp it down and bye bye birdie. The tour guides say it happened pretty often. So guests must ave seen it often enough to be grossed out or disturbed by it. I think its nature...and kind of cool...but i also wish they had a snake room with mouse feedings. My other theory is that some of us simple americans are somehow fooled and disturbed by the old poacher story line. They also were fooled by the shaky bridges on the safari (people! they were fake!) and were scared stiff of the crocs...I guess its possible. Animals are scary. So thats why i think Disney got rid of the crocs.

Another theory is that all these animals are too darn expensive. Theres only a small fraction of hippos left. There use to be dozens of them too. I counted maybe 5 or 6 now.

Who knows. I just think its lame that they dumb down nature to appease a small percentage of the population that are disturbed by nature. The worse part is that you can imagine that the number of animals will only decrease..just like in the Living Seas in Epcot. There are hardly any animals left. Once Avitar comes to Animal Kingdom there may not be any need for animals anymore...maybe that was the plan. who knows..

Pirate Granny
09-18-2013, 07:49 AM
What is under all those bridges you walk now? The gators/crocks were my favorite part of the tout. I don't believe the cost is worth it if just a dumb bridge. I was going to take my two grandchildren when they turned 8. Well Disney just saved me $600. You walk through the forest (no animals there), hang with the hippo's, walk the bridges with nothing below them and then go on the same safari ride...slower and less people, and eat brunch/lunch...don't believe that's worth $200 each. Wow really disappointed.

kakn7294
09-18-2013, 09:57 AM
We were on the Safari in April and the crocs were all gone. However, they were all back in June. Maybe they're just not bringing them out as often for some reason?

Dulcee
09-18-2013, 10:04 AM
Were you there on a particularly cool day? There are weather conditions in which they'd need to be moved to temporary indoor enclosures.

I know AK has also lost crocs due to guests foolishness of throwing or losing personal items and them falling into the enclosure and then being ingested by the crocs. If you followed closely after one of these events maybe they had been removed temporarily while dealing with the event.

The individuals who run the safari tour are not closely linked to the actual animal keepers. They may not have had the answers as to why the animals were off exhibit.

AvonleaCF
09-18-2013, 11:20 AM
I was there two weeks ago and the crocs were definitely under the bridge on the safari. I rode it twice and they were there both times.

Anthony007
09-18-2013, 04:44 PM
They were there in August.

Arielfan98
09-18-2013, 06:28 PM
They were there in August.

Agreed I was there in Mid-august they were there. The bridge didn't shake but the crocs were there.

Main Street Jim
09-18-2013, 08:50 PM
Agreed I was there in Mid-august they were there. The bridge didn't shake but the crocs were there.The "shaking bridge" is just before the elephants and the "clay pits".

The "crocodile bridge" was "rickety", but never shook.

Lindsey310
09-19-2013, 09:35 AM
That would stink if they at gone for good! That's one of my favorite parts of the ride!! I try and always sit on the left to see the crocs at a better angle! They were there last September when we went...will be sure to check next month. :mickey:

30 days!!!! :mpumpkin:

CaptSmee
09-20-2013, 10:31 AM
I was there two weeks ago and the crocs were definitely under the bridge on the safari. I rode it twice and they were there both times.

And they were gone last week when we rode. They seem to appear & disappear. My thoughts were maybe they have containment issues?
Thompson Gazelle were also absent from the safari when Irode as well

Disney Goof
10-28-2013, 05:16 PM
They were there last week!!! My kids took tons of pictures of them.
:mickey: