PDA

View Full Version : To Appreciate Disney

NJGIRL
09-17-2013, 02:52 PM
A long time ago my cousin and I , who is a huge Disney fan also, were having a discussion on why most people either LOVE Disney or DISLIKE Disney. You really don't find a lot of people in between. We were trying to figure out what makes that difference, She felt that the people who enjoyed Disney were people who like to immerse themselves in fantasy, it's not really about the rides, but the immersion of the ride.

In reading the Movie & TV forum on INTERCOT, I do see a pattern of our members. It seems like a lot of us like our entertainment to be fantasy based.

What do you think?

Dulcee
09-17-2013, 03:19 PM
I agree. DH and I had this conversation the other day. You enjoy disney when you're willing to accept the notion that its ok to enjoy Dumbo at 2 or 25 or 50.

We're traveling in January with extended family and we both keep saying that we hope everyone else realizes they need to let being an adult go while in the parks. This isn't the place to say I'm too old for that ride/experience.

If you view it as just for kids you exclude yourself from enjoying it, which is so not what Walt envisioned.

Ms. Mode
09-17-2013, 03:22 PM
Do you remember the commercial where the mother and daughter are at WDW and the mother "looks" like a little girl again? Love that commercial because it is SO true! It's a place you can be a kid again...no matter how old you are. :thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-17-2013, 03:25 PM
Yes, instead of fantasy I like to call it Magic:mickey:

disney obsessed
09-17-2013, 09:55 PM
It is absolutly my escape from reality. :cloud9:

rkmemkc
09-18-2013, 10:43 AM
I have to chime in on this one! We are heading 'home' in 37 days and despite the many, many comments we have endured throughout the years we keep on going back! There is the Magic as well as a freedom to let yourself go and enjoy Walt's vision. I truly love all the attention to detail and read everything I can get my hands on about what each thing means. Fortunately for us, the people who don't 'get it' provide more space for us in the parks with their absence! :secret: I always tell this story. When I took my DH to MK in 1997 for the first time. We walked through the ticket line and under the railroad tracks, I stopped him and looked into his eyes and said, "For today only, you are 10. Enjoy the Magic with no expectations." He did and we had a great time! :mickey:

Kenny1113
09-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Not necessarily...

DH neither loves nor hates Disney.

I love Disney, but don't really care for the fantasy genre.