PDA

View Full Version : Renting DVC/Timeshare Store

missymouseworld
09-17-2013, 12:18 PM
We are looking to rent points for our upcoming June 2014 vacation. It would be for 4 adults (my two children would then be 18+, so that means Disney resorts charge additional for them staying at the resort rooms) and one child under 18. I was told in another thread that if you stay/rent at a DVC property you don't have the additional charge for more than 2 adults in a room...is that correct?

Also, when would the Timeshare Store have available points to rent for the June timeframe?

I have read reviews on the Timeshare Store being good to work with. Anything I need to be aware of beforehand?

Any help would be appreciated.

VWL Mom
09-17-2013, 01:29 PM
There are no extra charges for the adults in DVC properties.

If you're interested in renting points for June, I would contact the TimeShare Store now. The booking window for 11 months is open if they have points for the resort you're interested in you would have the jump on securing it.

missymouseworld
09-17-2013, 02:24 PM
If you're interested in renting points for June, I would contact the TimeShare Store now. The booking window for 11 months is open if they have points for the resort you're interested in you would have the jump on securing it.

I contacted them and they said that they typically get points from members that have to be used between 30 and 180 days. I was hoping to secure something earlier, but will have to wait until December timeframe I guess. Maybe I will still send in my request just in case something opens up earlier.

Pirate Granny
09-17-2013, 09:25 PM
Hummmmm, never rented from Timeshare Store, but did purchase resale from them...owners can book 11 months in advance, curious that they said 180 days. I would go ahead and put your request in, so you get a reservation BEFORE the 7 months, as then everyone starts to play musical rooms (changing reservations to non-home resorts).

Good luck...where are you interested in staying? We'll be there the beginning of June (and our reservations were made in July).

missymouseworld
09-18-2013, 08:17 AM
We aren't picky as to where we would like to stay. We really like the Boardwalk area near Epcot and DHS, but understand that we probably won't get that. We are hoping to get something reasonable in price with the reservation being for 5 people.

BrerGnat
09-18-2013, 08:41 AM
Renting can be a good way to save some money on a DVC villa, but you have to know that you will be forgoing daily housekeeping and trash removal. You'll have to tidy up after yourselves and take out your own trash. They will come on the 4th day to give you fresh towels and empty your trash, but for me, at least, that just wouldn't cut it on vacation. The additional housekeeping charge if you want daily service is quite high (I think $40 or something).

You should be aware that you can also rent a DVC villa directly through Disney and they are often discounted, particularly Saratoga Springs, Old Key West, and Animal Kingdom Villas. They are usually 30-35% off when there is a special offer.

Personally, I would book a DVC villla through Disney before renting someone's points. There are a lot of restrictions when you do that. You can't really cancel the reservation if something comes up. I don't like that.

missymouseworld
09-18-2013, 12:42 PM
Personally, I would book a DVC villla through Disney before renting someone's points. There are a lot of restrictions when you do that. You can't really cancel the reservation if something comes up. I don't like that.

If we book a DVC villa through Disney directly, do you know if they will charge an additional cost for more than 2 adults occupying the room? My two children will be 18+ in June, and the value, moderate, and deluxe resort categories are charging me an additional cost for them. We also have one child under 18, so it would be a room for 5.

You have a good point about the cancellation policy, I didn't think of that. We had that come up last November when we had to cancel our trip last minute due to Hurricane Sandy and had booked directly through Disney; had absolutely no problem getting our refund back.

BrerGnat
09-18-2013, 02:05 PM
I do not think Disney charges the additional adult fee in the DVC properties. You can easily check that though by making a fake reservation online using 2 adults and then changing it to see if it costs more when you add more adults.

AgentC
09-18-2013, 03:21 PM
I booked a Villa this summer at Vero and last year at Animal Kingdom through Disney (not on points). We had a third adult and there was not an extra charge.

LVT
10-13-2013, 09:10 PM
Yet another: Boardwalk Villas in May 4 adults, no extra person charge. That really helps$$$.

Aurora
10-14-2013, 01:23 PM
The advantage of renting a DVC room through the Timeshare Store is that you usually save much more money than if you had rented it through Disney.

The Timeshare Store charges $12 per point for rental. As an example, 5 nights in a water-view 1-bedroom at the BWV in late June next year through the Timeshare Store would cost $1,800. The same exact room at the same time through Disney would cost $2,485.

Of course, if Disney offered a 30% room discount, this would cancel out the savings. But this year for late June, those discounts weren't offered until April. Room availability by then is drastically limited; that's why they offer the discounts.

The biggest disadvantage to renting through a third party is the lack of flexibility to cancel. Also, as you heard from the Timeshare Store, they have to wait to get points from members to rent; that also limits availability as time goes on.

And yes, others are correct in that Disney does not charge the extra adult fee for villas.

Good luck on your decision.

Lindsey310
10-14-2013, 04:42 PM
The advantage of renting a DVC room through the Timeshare Store is that you usually save much more money than if you had rented it through Disney.

The Timeshare Store charges $12 per point for rental. As an example, 5 nights in a water-view 1-bedroom at the BWV in late June next year through the Timeshare Store would cost $1,800. The same exact room at the same time through Disney would cost $2,485.

Of course, if Disney offered a 30% room discount, this would cancel out the savings. But this year for late June, those discounts weren't offered until April. Room availability by then is drastically limited; that's why they offer the discounts.

The biggest disadvantage to renting through a third party is the lack of flexibility to cancel. Also, as you heard from the Timeshare Store, they have to wait to get points from members to rent; that also limits availability as time goes on.

And yes, others are correct in that Disney does not charge the extra adult fee for villas.

Good luck on your decision.

Have you rented from them before? When I called them to inquire about renting points the guy seemed like he was bothered I was calling; in his words they are more of a resale company and wanted to know how I knew they rented points bc they don't advertise?? How do you go about doing the request? By calling? I didn't see anything online. Thanks for your help! :mickey:

5 days and counting :cloud9:

missymouseworld
10-14-2013, 06:45 PM
On The Timeshare Store website there is an area for email contact. I sent them information stating that I was interested in renting points if available and they sent me an email with the required information.

Aurora
10-15-2013, 01:32 AM
Have you rented from them before? When I called them to inquire about renting points the guy seemed like he was bothered I was calling; in his words they are more of a resale company and wanted to know how I knew they rented points bc they don't advertise?? How do you go about doing the request? By calling? I didn't see anything online. Thanks for your help! :mickey:

5 days and counting :cloud9:

There's also a paragraph on their website in their FAQ section about renting. However, if you feel you're getting the brush-off, there are other reputable companies who will rent points; you can find them with a simple web search.

BugeyedMuggy
10-15-2013, 06:07 AM
I contacted them and they said that they typically get points from members that have to be used between 30 and 180 days. I was hoping to secure something earlier, but will have to wait until December timeframe I guess. Maybe I will still send in my request just in case something opens up earlier.

There are other very good agencies we have used that book out 11 months but you will have to private message me for that info as they are not sponsors.

PlutoPlanet
10-15-2013, 12:29 PM
I bought resale from The Timeshare Store a few years ago and found them to be quite professional.