PDA

View Full Version : Mistakes you HAVE to make

K8screen
09-12-2013, 09:11 AM
I am going to WDW for a girlie trip with my grown up DDs to celebrate my retirement. I am planning everything as they know for me thats part of the fun (and its my trip :thumbsup:)
The first day we are going to Epcot and, though I know it's a rookie mistake and we should race straight to get FPs and/or ride the biggies, we will start on SE as somehow to me not starting there makes an Epcot first day all wrong.
Does anyone else have attractions they MUST do at a certain time or in a certain order, to make the day feel RIGHT?

spoiledraf
09-12-2013, 09:44 AM
For us, my wife MUST have breakfast. And not a granola bar! Sit down and order breakfast! We have NEVER been to a park at opening in 16 visits. But that's what she likes and that gets her to let me have my Disney fix so I fall in line. Cause if mama ain't happy ain't nobobdy happy so we eat breakfast! :D

Oh, and Happy Retirement! We took the kids and grand kids last year for my retirement party. Hope you have a great time!

retiredfigment
09-12-2013, 10:11 AM
Congrats on your retirement. That is how I celebrated my retirement after 30 years - a trip to DW in Dec. so it wasn't during summer break in 100 degree temps. My DD and I always start at Epcot and then alway SE first! After that, a few musts are Fish and Chips and Dole Whips. And also MUST do Crystal Palace for breakfast!

The Hitchhiking Ghost
09-12-2013, 01:15 PM
For me, its hard to envision any WDW vacation starting anywhere but on Mainstreet at the MK.

We don't go that often but have been fortunate to take our kids for their first two times in 2010 and 12 and then next one is probably 2-3 years out.

I can't recall a time where any of our vacations, pre or post kids, didn't start out with a walk down Mainstreet and just absorbing that Disney Magic and feeling you get before you start diving into rides and fast passes and souvenears etc.

What helps us, having to fly in, we generally get in mid-late afternoon, so usually after checking into an on-property resort, have dinner, we head to the parks, meaning its usually evening. And nothing better than that first stroll down Mainstreet with the Castle all lit up to start your vacation.

DisneyDINK
09-12-2013, 04:56 PM
For us, my wife MUST have breakfast. And not a granola bar! Sit down and order breakfast! We have NEVER been to a park at opening in 16 visits. But that's what she likes and that gets her to let me have my Disney fix so I fall in line. Cause if mama ain't happy ain't nobobdy happy so we eat breakfast! :D!

I respect your tradition, but I'm the EXACT opposite. I wanna get right out the door and have me some Magic time.

Yeah, I pretty much get right to the big ones in each park to get that FP.

MK - SM for FP, then over to Big Thunder and/or Splash, the back to SM to use the FP.

AK - to EE for FP then the safari, then back to EE for use the FP

Epcot - To Soarin to get a FP and/or ride it, over to Test Track or Sum of All Thrills, then back to Soarin' to use the FP

DHS - (feel the strongest about this one) Straight to TSM for FP, over to RnR and/or ToT, then back to use the TSM FP.

Maybe you'll be able to repeat some of the biggies and not have to wait much if you go just prior to when a park closes, but I ALWAYS make the opening to ride the busiest rides ESPECIALLY TSM and Soarin'; those darn rides have a line from opening to close almost year round.

Main Street Jim
09-12-2013, 05:33 PM
OT:

I see Girard, OH, and Mentor, OH - you guys are with an hour and a half of me... :)

I'm in Canal Fulton...we should plan a get-together....

tundramom
09-12-2013, 07:44 PM
:congrats::congrats:on your retirement. We are guilty of running to Soarin' for Fast passes, I think it was probably 4 trips before we even realized SE was in there:blush: As we get older we are learning to appreciate a slower pace, next trip will be our first without kids, so I am curious how things will differ. Let's hear it for Ohio! O-H...

Susan A
09-12-2013, 09:56 PM
I have to read the guidebooks before choosing a park to visit the first day (well, anyday). I obsess over which is the best park to visit on each day, according to attendance.
When in a park, we usually head to the big attractions first.
I don't have an attraction or event I have to do first.
I must have a Dole Whip, though!!!!
:mickey:

MrPeetrie
09-12-2013, 10:16 PM
Several years ago, I deviated from our usual schedule. We went to Hollywood Studios (then Disney-MGM) on arrival day. We went to Animal Kingdom on our first full day on property. We had breakfast with Chef Mickey before visiting Epcot the second day. We swam, ate, and shopped on the third day. And on the fourth day of our trip, we went to the Magic Kingdom. Upon stepping off the bus, my wife said, "It feels like we finally arrived."

That was a mistake. Since then, we ALWAYS go the the Magic Kingdom on our first full day on property!

Awesome_guy
09-13-2013, 12:58 AM
Not so much an attraction routine but a mistake-made-routine nonetheless:

Once, made the MK mistake of trying to get into dinner within the park day-of by going to City Hall and seeing if anything was available. Nothing. (Spring Break so not off season.)

Headed off on the Monorail to Contemporary and had a great meal before heading back to park for night parade and fireworks.

Now it's routine. Love hitting the monorail mid afternoon for a meal or a lounge and then heading back in. Think of the monorail resorts now as an extension of the park. =) ...and enough of an escape from crowds to take it all on again.

JMTStone
09-13-2013, 05:43 AM
Now it's routine. Love hitting the monorail mid afternoon for a meal or a lounge and then heading back in. Think of the monorail resorts now as an extension of the park. =) ...and enough of an escape from crowds to take it all on again.

This is a GREAT idea. Awesome, Awesome_guy

JerseyDad
09-13-2013, 09:02 AM
....love the Epcot 1st day thing ...and SE is the first ride we do EVERY TIME. (it's a tradition and a must for us ...but that's, again, just us ....also the last ride before we leave the park that day ...and ...the last the night we leave to go home)

....but ...they just installed (as part of a refurb) ....signs / sensors at the entrance because now it will be a FastPass available attraction. So you can get a FP+ for that ....maybe on a MagicBand and then head elsewhere with to other FP+ attractions. (though I can't imagine wasting a FP on SE ...there's no need ...at all).

....other "1st thing of the day" items to consider is the Kilimanjaro Safari at AK ...very fist thing ...as early as possible ....you'll see tons of animals up and about.

k10
09-13-2013, 09:21 AM
1st, congrats to you. 2nd, that sounds like a really fun and special trip w/ your DDs. Enjoy!

My person routine on arrival day (I always am on the 1st flight from Boston and go RIGHT to a park) is to start at DHS. I don't know why. We just go here everytime 1st. We sort of check out the lines, walk around and enjoy the park. Then starting hoping on rides, eat lunch. But from there...

...I plan out the rest of my visit based on EMHs, a controversial subject. Some people hate 'em. I happen to love 'em. Especially evening EMHs.

But regardless, if I'm at at park at Rope Drop or earlier, this is my routine:

MK: Enchanted Tales w/ Belle, Peter Pan's Flight, any major roller coaster in any order, then let the day take me

AK: Safari, Everest, then Dionsaure over and over and over and over...and over again!

DHS: Toy Story, Rockin' Rollercoaster, TT, then let the day take me

Epcot: Soarin', Test Track, Mission Space. Those last two can be switched up.

Again, have a great trip. Maybe you'll have a review for us when you get back!!!

jclightchasr
09-13-2013, 10:36 AM
MK is a first day must for me and this wouldn't be complete without going to Adventureland first. Our first attraction is normally the Tiki Room, I know it's a rookie mistake but its classic Disney magic! I love the suggestion if the monorail resorts being an extension of the parks. We normally have a "break day" built into our schedule and will hit the Marketplace and go to see a resort area (or three) we haven't been to yet. Next trip I am planning on seeing Grand Floridian...still haven't made it out there yet.

DonaldDuckUSA
09-13-2013, 04:42 PM
DBF and I have started our own tradition. We head right for Haunted Mansion. We may grab a fastpass, but the first and last rides of the day are always at HM. Why? Because its our favorite from childhood and that's what Disney is all about.

snowflakegirl
09-13-2013, 06:47 PM
I have to go to MK on arrival day, and the first thing we do is a full circle on the trains followed by a leisurely stroll down Main Street. Our arrival night dinner is always Chef Mickey's.

K8screen
09-14-2013, 08:28 AM
I have to go to MK on arrival day, and the first thing we do is a full circle on the trains followed by a leisurely stroll down Main Street. Our arrival night dinner is always Chef Mickey's.

We usually start vacation at MK but I have worked out it would not be good this time due to EMH and parade times etc, but Epcot days MUST start at SE.
Thanks for all the good wishes for my retirement. It really is the time of your life, and WDW trip is the icing on the cake ;)

Giggy
09-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Personally I always want to start and finish the vacation at Magic Kingdom. My brother has joked about the fact I must do this but to me it just feels right. :mickey:

This isn't necessarily too much of a mistake as we arrive and leave mid-week (such as Wednesday or Thursday) rather than a weekend where if I remember right Magic Kingdom is normally busiest.

bxrluv
09-22-2013, 03:26 PM
:congrats::congrats:on your retirement. We are guilty of running to Soarin' for Fast passes, I think it was probably 4 trips before we even realized SE was in there:blush: As we get older we are learning to appreciate a slower pace, next trip will be our first without kids, so I am curious how things will differ. Let's hear it for Ohio! O-H...

I'll answer that...I-O! :number1: We're in Cuyahoga Falls and were just down your way to drop off our daughter in Massillon last night.

We just always have to start and finish in MK and I always have some sort of surprise for my girls but when it's their birthdays it is extra special.

ANG
09-22-2013, 06:06 PM
We usually do 2 parks in a day. We do opening at one park, eat lunch there. Then go back to the resort for rest. Go to a different park for dinner and whatever their night show happens to be.

SBETigg
09-22-2013, 06:13 PM
I used to have a specific first day protocol, but have changed in favor of spontaneity and rolling with what comes up. My trips just aren't the same every time.

I've traveled with two growing kids at many stages of development, with just my husband, and solo, for business, for pleasure, for business and pleasure combined. All of this has required me to adapt and approach things in different order. Which, actually, has been really refreshing and allowed me to see the World in new ways.

So, while it is comforting to have a routine and I wouldn't recommend deviating just because, it's good to try changing it up if you start to feel it getting stale (which is, of course, nearly impossible for most of us).

LudwigVonDrake
09-23-2013, 06:13 PM
I have to have Mickey waffles every morning :tasty:

tundramom
09-23-2013, 09:53 PM
I'll answer that...I-O! :number1: We're in Cuyahoga Falls and were just down your way to drop off our daughter in Massillon last night.

Thanks for not leaving me hanging!
Even though we are very close to the Massillon border (Perry Township) that M word is taboo in our house, DH is a McKinley grad ;)