PDA

View Full Version : Magic Bands? Fastpasses?

jaredkari
09-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Can someone explain this to me or point me in the right direction to an explanation?
Are fastpasses going away? Do we have to purchase these magic bands to use them? How do they work? Do you have to make reservations for rides?

Also I was watching a video and saw FP on Spaceship Earth?? When did that happen? Have they added FP to other attractions just for this Magic Band thing?:confused:

Dulcee
09-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Fast passes are going to be transitioned to only fast pass pluses, that is no more paper fast passes.

This hasn't happened yet. Right now both systems exist as fast pass plus is still being tested.

Magic bands are not purchased. This is also still in "testing" mode. If you are asked to participate in the program you'll receive an email detailing how it works. They work using RFID technology.

Fast pass plus essentially means you make your fast passes up to 60 days in advance of your arrival to the parks.

and yes, fast pass plus is going to be available for many attractions that did not have traditional fast passes.

Jillirose
09-08-2013, 06:54 PM
When is the fast pass plus system estimated to be in operation?

MickeysBestPal
09-08-2013, 07:41 PM
When is the fast pass plus system estimated to be in operation?

The early stages might be in operation this Fall.

(Or, they might not.)

vicster
09-08-2013, 08:16 PM
We tested fast pass plus a year ago and they're still testing???

Melanie
09-08-2013, 10:05 PM
We tested fast pass plus a year ago and they're still testing???

Heh. Yeah.

Jillirose
09-09-2013, 09:08 PM
Thanks :) Doing a happy dance! We will be there in FEB and didn't really want to deal with it.

DANAM
09-09-2013, 10:07 PM
Are they testing fastpass + in all 4 parks or is it just MK and DHS? I was trying to find a list of what attractions you can chose from too. Not finding much available on this whole process.

texas211
09-11-2013, 09:02 PM
Thanks :) Doing a happy dance! We will be there in FEB and didn't really want to deal with it.

Amen. I don't like the sound of this idea, and not looking fwd to it.

jclightchasr
09-13-2013, 09:37 AM
There is a YouTube video detailing magic bands.
The poster is Jeff Lange episode 64 magic bands it gives a pretty cool look at how they work, what they look like, and how you can even customize them.

DizneyFreak2002
09-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Are they testing fastpass + in all 4 parks or is it just MK and DHS? I was trying to find a list of what attractions you can chose from too. Not finding much available on this whole process.

All four parks... And it does appear to be all the attractions, including character meet and greets and stage shows, plus Fantasmic...

Lindsey310
09-13-2013, 04:15 PM
Yup through October as of now. We were chosen to be a part of the test and the woman who helped me out about a week ago on the phone said testing is going to continue through October and will most likely be rolled out for good end of this year/early next year :blush:

36 days!!!!!!! :joy:

mickeys_princess
09-14-2013, 12:25 PM
How do you know you are selected to test? I'm assuming since we are going Nov / Dec and haven't heard anything then we aren't selected?

DizneyFreak2002
09-14-2013, 12:28 PM
How do you know you are selected to test? I'm assuming since we are going Nov / Dec and haven't heard anything then we aren't selected?

You will receive an email invitation... Follow the steps in the email to select your FP+ options and customize and order your bands...

or, you can just sign into your MDE account and if the option is there for you to use, then you are good to go... I have read plenty of instances where people only found out about the access to FP+ and magic bands by logging in and never receiving an email... In fact, it happened to one of my friends for her September upcoming trip... No email... Just showed up on her MDE account...

gueli
09-14-2013, 12:54 PM
we booked through Magical Journeys, Straying at Art of animation. We were informed about the Magic bands.
3 days ago I went online. They were real easy to set up and customize. All our reservations are listed right there. Seems convenient.
Got an e-mail today saying that the Magic Bands have been shipped to us. now we just have to remember to pack them...
:beer:
About 30 days to go... let the countdown begin
:joy:

mickeys_princess
09-14-2013, 05:33 PM
Thanks!!!

Goofy4TheWorld
09-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Got an e-mail today saying that the Magic Bands have been shipped to us. now we just have to remember to pack them...
:beer:
About 30 days to go... let the countdown begin
:joy:

We must be staying the same week at AoA, I got my shipment email this morning as well!

DisneyKim22
09-14-2013, 09:53 PM
Usually I try not to form a set opinion about new things like this when Disney rolls them out until I get a chance to try it myself, but the more I ready, the more.....nervous (?) I get about it. I understand the basic premise and the fact that they are tying to help the guest wait in fewer lines is great. But - as someone who has gone at least once a year for close to 30 years now, I don't like to plan that much any more. I enjoy waking up each morning and deciding what I want to do, or maybe a little planning the night before. I do some pre-trip planning if there is a special event or a specific restaurant I know I must hit, but that's about it. I'm getting the feeling that if I want to ride Splash Mountain (my favorite ride), I'm going to have to determine months in advance what day and what time I'm going to ride it, or potentially wait for a long time in standby. And if I wake up that particular morning and feel like going to Epcot instead, I'm a little stuck. Am I understanding this right? Perhaps I'm over-thinking it and it won't be all that bad.

DisneyKim22
09-14-2013, 10:35 PM
I spoke/posted too soon. I just viewed some of the YouTube videos referenced by an earlier poster. The couple did a great job of explaining the process and showing the pros/cons. I feel a lot better about the Magic Bands, and I actually think it looks kind of cool. I like not having to dig out a card when I want a fastpass or remembering to put it away safely when I walk into a park. I am notorious at dropping my card.

Pop Centurion
09-14-2013, 11:29 PM
A few things I don't like about MM+ if they remain the same after testing.
1. Only 3 FP's per day
2. All FP's for that day must be from same park. This hurts those who park hop.
3. Possible longer stand-by wait times for attractions that never had/needed FP
4. More loss of spontaneity

I'm also concerned that they may implement a tiered system where deluxe guests will get more FP choices than value guests.
I've heard about possible FP+ only experiences where for example there will be specific character m&g that are only available if reserved through the system. Can you imagine telling a child they can't meet a certain character because it's only for "privileged" guests.

But since we're still not 100% sure what the final outcome will be, I'll reserve my opinion until then.

DizneyFreak2002
09-15-2013, 12:06 AM
Joe, I think a lot of people have the same concerns as you, and they are valid concerns... However, if my feelings are right, I think I can hopefully remove some of the concerns with the meet and greet FP+...

Let's say Mickey meets in Character Spot in Epcot... One show room will be for those who do not have FP+ options, one show room will be for those with FP+... Why split them? Well, the FP+ people will have a Mickey who knows your child's name already due to the magic band... Mickey will greet your child by name (which, sorry, I find creepy not magical)... The people without FP will not get the talking Mickey, or if they do, he will not be greeting by name...

Imagine Mickey saying, "Hello Little Johnny, how are you today?" Then not knowing the next child's name.... The second child may get upset cause Mickey knew Johnny but not Jimmy... Then you get irate parents, complaints to guest services, freebies handed out, and unhappy guests...

Pop Centurion
09-15-2013, 12:21 AM
Imagine Mickey saying, "Hello Little Johnny, how are you today?" Then not knowing the next child's name.... The second child may get upset cause Mickey knew Johnny but not Jimmy... Then you get irate parents, complaints to guest services, freebies handed out, and unhappy guests...
Never thought of that.
Sorry I wasn't too clear but I was referring to more unique characters you don't see everyday. I would hope they wouldn't even consider that since it's very "un-magical" but that fact that it was mentioned in rumors bothers me.

MickeysBestPal
09-15-2013, 08:42 AM
Wow.

CaptSmee
09-15-2013, 11:50 AM
A few things I don't like about MM+ if they remain the same after testing.
1. Only 3 FP's per day
2. All FP's for that day must be from same park. This hurts those who park hop.
3. Possible longer stand-by wait times for attractions that never had/needed FP
4. More loss of spontaneity

I'm also concerned that they may implement a tiered system where deluxe guests will get more FP choices than value guests.
I've heard about possible FP+ only experiences where for example there will be specific character m&g that are only available if reserved through the system. Can you imagine telling a child they can't meet a certain character because it's only for "privileged" guests.

But since we're still not 100% sure what the final outcome will be, I'll reserve my opinion until then.

We were told bya CM that once you go past your FP+ time that you can reserve more FP+, however when we tried it we were given no options at other attractions

I did not like the 1 park rule

DizneyFreak2002
09-15-2013, 12:02 PM
We were told bya CM that once you go past your FP+ time that you can reserve more FP+, however when we tried it we were given no options at other attractions

I did not like the 1 park rule
I think the CM gave you bad info... It is 3 for one park, no more, no less... The only thing you can do is change the ride or time, providing any more FP are available day of...

People are still able to use the FP+ and original FP system during testing, but that won't be the case once this is live... It will be one or the other, not both...

CaptSmee
09-15-2013, 08:16 PM
I think the CM gave you bad info... It is 3 for one park, no more, no less... The only thing you can do is change the ride or time, providing any more FP are available day of...

People are still able to use the FP+ and original FP system during testing, but that won't be the case once this is live... It will be one or the other, not both...

Do you know if they are collecting info during testing? I'd like to share my opinions with Disney (if it matters).
We had many more app issues than we did magic band issues when we used them

DisneyKim22
09-15-2013, 08:22 PM
Mickey will greet your child by name (which, sorry, I find creepy not magical)... The people without FP will not get the talking Mickey, or if they do, he will not be greeting by name...

Um...yeah....Sign me up for the line where Mickey doesn't address guests by name. I can live with change most of the time, but I'm not sure this is one I personally would like to see. I don't know if many share my opinion on this or not, but I never met Mickey or Minnie (or the other non-talking characters) before and thought "Gee, I wish they could talk." But, as with all else, maybe it's something I have to experience one time before completely closing my mind.

gueli
09-16-2013, 06:26 AM

All right, so let me ask another question...

We will be there in the first half of oct (Columbus day weekend). you say currently you can get 3 FP+ passes. no more. Can you still get regular FP's ? if they are available?

one more thing... out of curiosity how do you know so much on the subject? When answering questions for DW I like to know my source material :)

DizneyFreak2002
09-16-2013, 10:06 AM
Do you know if they are collecting info during testing? I'd like to share my opinions with Disney (if it matters).
We had many more app issues than we did magic band issues when we used them

Yes, they still are collecting info from "testers".. But also from guests complaining at Guest Services...

Um...yeah....Sign me up for the line where Mickey doesn't address guests by name. I can live with change most of the time, but I'm not sure this is one I personally would like to see. I don't know if many share my opinion on this or not, but I never met Mickey or Minnie (or the other non-talking characters) before and thought "Gee, I wish they could talk." But, as with all else, maybe it's something I have to experience one time before completely closing my mind.

Don't get me wrong... I think the talking characters are a cool piece of technology... But I don't see how or why Mickey should know my name... He isn't Santa Claus... he isn't magical.. he is Mickey Mouse, an animated animal... I find that strange and a bit creepy... But it isn't about me... I'm sure a 6 year old will be thrilled that Mickey knows his/her name...

All right, so let me ask another question...

We will be there in the first half of oct (Columbus day weekend). you say currently you can get 3 FP+ passes. no more. Can you still get regular FP's ? if they are available?

one more thing... out of curiosity how do you know so much on the subject? When answering questions for DW I like to know my source material :)

During the testing, people were able to use the 3 FP+ options (some had received a 4th in MK) as well as the original, regular FP... So many people were truly taking huge advantage of the complete FP system... Providing management does not stop this, then you should be able to do the same time... I suspect this will be the case right up to official roll out... At that point, once you opt in for FP+, then you won't be able to use the current, original FP system...

As far as knowing the info, I read other sites where people are posting their experiences and knowledge of the system and how this will be used, I have a few friends who are training on the system and how it will (or is supposed to) work... And I talk to some other people who have contacts/friends on the inside... But before I post something as fact, I verify the info first... And if I don't know something, I try to get the answer to it before sharing the info...

gueli
09-17-2013, 04:10 AM
...As far as knowing the info, I read other sites where people are posting their experiences and knowledge of the system and how this will be used, I have a few friends who are training on the system and how it will (or is supposed to) work... And I talk to some other people who have contacts/friends on the inside... But before I post something as fact, I verify the info first... And if I don't know something, I try to get the answer to it before sharing the info...

thanks again.
:mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
09-17-2013, 01:08 PM
thanks again.
:mickey:

You are welcome...

Oh and to piggy back what Jared stated in the other thread, so customizing your bands and selecting FP+ options on the MDE website was painless... Very easy...