PDA

View Full Version : Amazing race 23

dobby2010
09-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Amazing race season 23 (!) premieres sept 29th! Not sure if I can post the link here but CBS has bios and videos of the teams up on their site. Seems like it should be another great season! What do you all think? Who do you think has what it takes to win or get sent home first?

Melanie
09-06-2013, 03:28 PM
I looked at the bios a week or so ago. I think I remember only one alpha male team, which is good. Looking forward to it, as always. It's still my favorite.

2Epcot
09-09-2013, 12:18 AM
My favorite reality show as well next to Big Brother. I've been watching the bios online. Usually I have a few teams that I seem to like immediately after seeing the bios and start rooting for them right at the start. This season none of them jump out as me, I guess I'll see who I start liking once its starts (that will be new for me).

The Hitchhiking Ghost
09-10-2013, 04:53 PM
I generally don't look into the bios that much. I like to go into the season without any preconceptions of who I want to like or hate.

I glanced at the bios and it again seems to be pretty standard Race team profiling. One deviation, 5 all male teams, which I don't think has happened since season 4. Lots of seasons with 4 all male teams, but only one other with 5.

By far my favorite reality show.

The world is waiting....travel safe...go!!

tinkwest
09-10-2013, 06:48 PM
I'll be racing back home from Disneyland on Sunday the 29th to watch my favorite program. Yippee!! :car:

TheDuckRocks
09-30-2013, 11:55 AM
One show into the race and I already have 4 teams I want to see gone.
Tim & Marie - sadly came in first place, but the constant bickering is going to drive me nuts.
Tim & Danny from OK - have they never seen AR? And enough with the needing the money.
Leo & Jamal - Afgan-imals. Really?? :ack:
Brandon & Adam - I'm sitting here at my computer and can't find the words for these two. :confused:

But knowing me in a few weeks I'll probably be loving these teams and wanting the rest gone.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
10-04-2013, 12:17 PM
One show into the race and I already have 4 teams I want to see gone.
Tim & Marie - sadly came in first place, but the constant bickering is going to drive me nuts.
Tim & Danny from OK - have they never seen AR? And enough with the needing the money.
Leo & Jamal - Afgan-imals. Really?? :ack:
Brandon & Adam - I'm sitting here at my computer and can't find the words for these two. :confused:

But knowing me in a few weeks I'll probably be loving these teams and wanting the rest gone.

Pretty much agree with your opening assessment. I generally don't like teams (or individuals in Survivor) that are intent on becoming characters. So when you self-name yourself the Afganimals, you go to the top of my list, and they didn't disappoint with their annoyance levels.

The OK boys, yeah, enough with the whining, we all need money. That will get old real fast.

Tim & Marie, didn't bother as much, but lets see what happens when they are under pressure of elimination, then I think it will get bad.

Brandon & Adam (the two guys that look like they could be on Duck Dynasty?). I actually think I might grow to like these two, but we'll see.

All in all, not a bad first leg. Was glad that the right team went home. You could tell that they weren't going to be long for the Race, so good to see them go early.

Only team(s) I might add, would be the bimbo teams, will be interesting to see how much that gets played up. So far prefer the ice queens to the baseball wives.

TheDuckRocks
10-04-2013, 01:11 PM
All in all, not a bad first leg. Was glad that the right team went home. You could tell that they weren't going to be long for the Race, so good to see them go early.

Only team(s) I might add, would be the bimbo teams, will be interesting to see how much that gets played up. So far prefer the ice queens to the baseball wives.

I rather liked the Father Daughter team, they seemed like nice people. But they were very short on having the skills to play this game.

The "bimbo" teams......yeah, this type of team really irk me each year because you always wonder if they only make it on the race because they look good. Ghost, have we ever had a "bimbo" team win this thing?

The Hitchhiking Ghost
10-07-2013, 02:46 PM
I rather liked the Father Daughter team, they seemed like nice people. But they were very short on having the skills to play this game.

The "bimbo" teams......yeah, this type of team really irk me each year because you always wonder if they only make it on the race because they look good. Ghost, have we ever had a "bimbo" team win this thing?

The father daughter team reminded me a lot of Ron/Christine (their 2nd time running). You just knew they weren't long for the Race and it was better putting them (and us) out of our misery early.

No bimbo teams have won that I can think of. Nat/Kat were the first all female team to win it, followed up later by Jen/Keisha and neither of those teams gets the bimbo label.

Jamie/Cara were final 3 (with Luke/Marjorie and Tammy/Viktor) maybe they would have qualified had they won.

Usually teams like the Ice Queens and the Baseball wives are out well before final 3.

Melanie
10-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Well, the villain has been established. That Pinky is something else. I understand some strategizing, but she's ridiculously overboard and full of herself. Her actions with Bingo there at the end last night were uncalled for.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
10-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Another good episode. It never ceases to amaze me how even after 23 seasons teams still make the same basic mistakes, "Read the clue!" that's why they print it and give it to you.

First leg - doctors can't read final instructions

Second leg - Team Bingo, well they just seemed to be operating in a total different reality from any other team. Somehow they get lost trying to get to the salt mines, then they get horribly confused by the language barriers and take the wrong bus (putting them 20 minutes behind) then Rowan steals some poor locals shoe shine stand because he didn't read the clue to find the "marked" stand. Even with all that, the baseball wife leaving behind the carpet still kept it close.

Give credit to Shane, he had to be thinking that whole leg "my partner is an idiot" from the quit talking your using all the air, to screwing up the shoe shine roadblock. Like last week, the right team went home. They seemed nice enough, but no way they were gong to make final 3, so better to see them out early.

I'm still liking Brandon and Adam, I hope they still around for a while, great attitudes. Same with the footballers, didn't expect to like them, but they seem like class acts and it was great to see them snatch 1st and the prize from the Afghanimals.

If Tim and Marie make it to the end, I don't see how Marie won't be one of the most hated people to run the Race. She just seems to be naturally a mean vindictive person. Tim is coming off great, but the preview next week "your dead to me" pretty much makes it seem like she turns on the baseball wives at the airport.

Baseball wives need to go home next week. The get into a taxi cab and one of them has to whine "that's the hardest thing I've ever had to do". No way they make final 3 and their whining is too much.

Right now I'm going to go with Chester and Ephraim, Brandon and Adam and Tim and Marie in the final 3. Jason and Amy could easily sneak in there, and I sort of expect them too, but they just don't do much for me at this point.

Afghanimals will hopefully flame out and I just don't quite see the doctors or the OK boys making it all the way.

MNNHFLTX
10-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Well, the villain has been established. That Pinky is something else.You mean, El Diablo? LOL! Even if Rowan contributed nothing else to the race, at least he gave us that (although grammatically I suppose she should be called La Diabla). She is unbelievable in her arrogance, even worse than Katie from last season.

Hope the Afghanimals are gone next (stupid nickname!) Every time they do that high-pitched yell I want to hit something.

I am glad that Chester and Ephraim won this leg; it was good to see some Texans actually win something yesterday. ;) I also like the ZZ Top/Duck Dynasty team. I was impressed that Adam was one of the few people that could speak Spanish.

PirateLover
10-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Had to watch online but I'm caught up. I like this season so far. I've liked the challenges so far. I thought it was funny how almost all of them thought that by choosing to do the first roadblock, they'd be the one to jump off the cliff! Tricky tricky. I don't have a favorite yet but I'm already sick of El Diablo. :thedolls:

Middle of the Map
10-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Started out rooting for the ER docs. When they failed to read the clue and incurred a penalty, I switched to the Hairy Dudes. They are having a whole bunch of fun, and I enjoy watching them.

Least favorite is Pinky Hair and the guy she's teamed with. Next are the Afghan boys. The other teams haven't really registered yet.

Glad to see Theatre Guys go home. It was painful to watch them struggle.

Ian
10-11-2013, 02:42 PM
Well, the villain has been established. That Pinky is something else. I understand some strategizing, but she's ridiculously overboard and full of herself. Her actions with Bingo there at the end last night were uncalled for.:ditto:

Melanie
10-11-2013, 05:56 PM
Hope the Afghanimals are gone next (stupid nickname!) Every time they do that high-pitched yell I want to hit something.

They were much more tolerable on the second episode. They don't really bother me that much though.

MNNHFLTX
10-12-2013, 12:02 AM
They were much more tolerable on the second episode. They don't really bother me that much though.

You're right, they were better on the second episode. Not quite enough to make me root for them though, especially with the "race wives".
Thinking about it, most of the teams are not terrible. Which makes it glaringly obvious why they chose Tim and Marie. As you said, they needed a villain.

Middle of the Map
10-13-2013, 11:00 PM
Ooohhh - so close to getting rid of Pinky Hair and the Brain. I was very sorry to see the NFL guys go. They had the GREATEST attitude and were so gracious when they lost.

Still rooting for hairy guys (Brandon and Adam) and the ER docs.

Portugal is beautiful, and the people are WOW!

dobby2010
10-13-2013, 11:45 PM
:ditto:
Adding Portugal to my bucket list. Having fun following along with Phil as he live tweets during the episodes. He has lots of behind the scenes tidbits.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
10-14-2013, 01:05 AM
Very disappointed that Chester and Ephraim got eliminated. They knowingly made a high risk high reward decision, but had their travel agent not screwed up, they never would have had to take the risk.

Very surprised that Tim and Marie didn't use the Express Pass. Although, Marie as Lord of the Pass wouldn't allow it. But they had no idea where any team was when they landed. All indications that they had was that they were in last place, based on what little they did know. When they bumped into the Afghanimals and the Ice Queens at the tile detour, I thought for certain they'd pull it out. They were extremely lucky to not have been eliminated.

I'm getting sick of Marie trying to Lord the EP over every team. "are you sure you want to take those last two seats? you know we have the express pass don't you?" Enough already. Next week it looks like T&M maybe have difficulty finding a route marker or one of the tasks, appears that Nicole is willing to help them, but only if they give up the EP. So the shoe is on the other foot.

Portugal looked stunning. Was this their first visit there? Not many first time countries left anymore, at least not ones conducive for running a race.

Good episode, lousy but expected ending.

MNNHFLTX
10-14-2013, 12:30 PM
Next week it looks like T&M maybe have difficulty finding a route marker or one of the tasks, appears that Nicole is willing to help them, but only if they give up the EP. So the shoe is on the other foot.
I noticed that in the preview and can't wait to see what happens next week. I would love to see the Almighty Marie's hand forced like that.

I was also disappointed that Chester and Ephraim were eliminated. It made me think--I've always assumed that the non-elimination legs were pre-determined, but maybe there are situations were it's pulled from play or revised based on the teams' progress at the end? I would have bet that this would have been a non-elimination leg; of course I knew when Phil met them at the airport that that wasn't going happen. If it had originally planned to be a non-elimination leg but the team coming in last was so far back that there was no chance that they could catch up or "meet up" with the other teams, would they revise the ending to drop the non-elimination? Maybe some of you TAR experts know more about this. ;)

The Hitchhiking Ghost
10-14-2013, 03:33 PM
If it had originally planned to be a non-elimination leg but the team coming in last was so far back that there was no chance that they could catch up or "meet up" with the other teams, would they revise the ending to drop the non-elimination? Maybe some of you TAR experts know more about this. ;)

There are always exceptions, but in general, the first non-elimination leg doesn't appear until usually leg 4-5-6. Its come in as early as 3 recently and as late as 7, but leg 4 or 5 seems to be about the average time it shows up, so I do think this was a scheduled non-elimination.

But do they alter the non-elimination rounds? I think the answer is yes, but rarely, primarily because they can't afford to be accused of rigging it for any one specific team.

The scenario that I recall was the all-star season. Joyce and Uchenna had finished first the prior leg and had opted to (like C&E this week) take a riskier flight with connections to start the next leg. All the other teams took normal flights, J&U went off on their own. Long story short, missed connections, they fell way way behind. What I recall hearing at the time was, that the leg they finished last on was scheduled to be non-elimination, but that they fell so far behind it made no sense for that to happen, to they pushed the non-elim back one leg and eliminated J&U. The other side of this was that Eric & Danielle were then saved by non-elimination in leg #9 and then went on to win it.

I'm not recalling off-hand any other situations where they did this.

MNNHFLTX
10-14-2013, 04:15 PM
There are always exceptions, but in general, the first non-elimination leg doesn't appear until usually leg 4-5-6. Its come in as early as 3 recently and as late as 7, but leg 4 or 5 seems to be about the average time it shows up, so I do think this was a scheduled non-elimination.

But do they alter the non-elimination rounds? I think the answer is yes, but rarely, primarily because they can't afford to be accused of rigging it for any one specific team.

The scenario that I recall was the all-star season. Joyce and Uchenna had finished first the prior leg and had opted to (like C&E this week) take a riskier flight with connections to start the next leg. All the other teams took normal flights, J&U went off on their own. Long story short, missed connections, they fell way way behind. What I recall hearing at the time was, that the leg they finished last on was scheduled to be non-elimination, but that they fell so far behind it made no sense for that to happen, to they pushed the non-elim back one leg and eliminated J&U. The other side of this was that Eric & Danielle were then saved by non-elimination in leg #9 and then went on to win it.

I'm not recalling off-hand any other situations where they did this.Thanks for your observations. It would make sense then for next week to be a non-elimination leg, although they could surprise us, I suppose.

Ian
10-17-2013, 09:25 PM
I was bummed to see C&E go, too. I liked them a lot and thought they were a great team. But they made a risky decision and it didn't work out for them, so that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Still don't really have a favorite team yet, but they all seem like decent enough people.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
10-21-2013, 12:17 PM
That was a great episode. Its only too bad we have to wait until next week to see what the fall out is. A lot is going to depend on whether or not teams can continue immediately onto the next tasks, or (being that they are racing at 3:00am) that they may have to wait, thus get bunched, for a route marker or detour to open.

So far this has been a great season. Marie continues to evolve as this season villain, hands down. Tim is ok, but she is something else, and didn't disappoint again this week. "why won't people help me, I'm nice" and in the next breath "help us now!! I have the express pass!!" I loved Brandon and Adam even more now as they basically said "Express Pass? We don't need no stinkin' Express Pass!" Then for Nicole to basically turn the tables and attempt to extort the EP from Marie was great too. Unfortunately we have to wait to see how that plays out. Marie is an idiot, she should have given the EP back to team Bingo on the second leg. They'd probably still be out now and you'd have taken it out of play. Now you're going to end up giving it, out of plain necessity, most likely to a strong team. Morons.

I honestly didn't see the continuation leg coming. With the show airing late our dvr was off its normal time so I didn't realize how close it was to the end, then was surprised when Phil handed Brandon and Adam another clue to keep racing. Was glad to see they won the leg and got $5000 each. I really hope they make final 3.

So it will really be interesting to see how it plays out next week. Tim & Marie left the (blatant plug for Ford) last task without getting both the bag of Viking coins and the picture clue to the location of the pit stop. Based on how things transpired in past seasons, I would suspect that if they try to check in without that clue that Phil would do his "T&M, you are team #4, but how did you know how to find me? Your are team #4 however I can't check you in until you produce the clue that tells you how to get to the longhouse." Now, the only question I'd have is whether or not they'd be able to pull out the EP to avoid going back to finish the task. Normally you hand it over right at the task to avoid the task and get the next clue. Not sure if they can hand it over to Phil or if he'd make them go back and declare it at the task to get the actual clue. I guess we'll see.

Baseball wives and OK boys I thought really made an obvious poor choice. Only benefit the had was they could run up to the drying area to do their detour while later the teams doing the other detour had to take wheelbarrows all the way up there. But the fishheads was clearly the faster detour by far, and right now the Baseball Wives are far far behind.

So you have the continuation leg, one team lost and without the clue (T&M), one team using extortion (doctors), one team way behind (baseball wives), they've been racing for over 24 hours, and if that wasn't enough, we know that there is a double u-turn ahead.

I have to believe that if Nicole and Travis get to the u-turn before Tim and Marie, that they will u-turn them, if for nothing else, to try and get them to burn the Express Pass.

Of course the preview made it appear the OK boys were in trouble, and not that I care much if they go or not, just not this week I hope. It shaping up to be a good episode next week.

Solid season so far, much better than I originally thought it would be.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
10-21-2013, 12:20 PM
I read that the prevailing rumor is that next season, season 24, is scheduled to be another all-star season. I have the list of supposed returnees (all from last 3 years), if people want me to post it I will.

I suspect the next season will start filming end of next month or so for a February air date.

Middle of the Map
10-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Got a big kick out of Brandon and Adam coming in 1st at the pit stop. They are having a blast on this show and it's fun to watch them knock off the tasks.

Touche for Pinky Hair from the ER docs. Trouble is, she's either smart or lucky in finding where she messed up and they continue to safely finish each leg. I was holding my breath when she and her partner had their fish on the wrong poles. But she figured it out, darn it.

MNNHFLTX
10-21-2013, 04:09 PM
So you have the continuation leg, one team lost and without the clue (T&M), one team using extortion (doctors), one team way behind (baseball wives), they've been racing for over 24 hours, and if that wasn't enough, we know that there is a double u-turn ahead.

Of course the preview made it appear the OK boys were in trouble, and not that I care much if they go or not, just not this week I hope. It shaping up to be a good episode next week.
Haven't had an elimination leg either, and I can't imagine there will be one at the end of the next show. It just wouldn't seem right for everyone to race that hard for two legs in a row and not have someone go home.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
10-21-2013, 05:11 PM
Haven't had an elimination leg either, and I can't imagine there will be one at the end of the next show. It just wouldn't seem right for everyone to race that hard for two legs in a row and not have someone go home.

If I had to bet, leg 5 will be an elimination leg followed by the first non-elimination leg in two weeks, leg #6. Pure speculation, though as you said, it would seem strange to run two legs, have the double u-turns, having to surrender the EP, only to have it be non-elim. I'd be surprised if it was.

wdw dude
10-22-2013, 10:41 AM
Tim & Marie left the (blatant plug for Ford) last task without getting both the bag of Viking coins and the picture clue to the location of the pit stop.

Ford is a sponsor of the Amazing Race.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
10-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Ford is a sponsor of the Amazing Race.

I know that, and its not as bad as Survivor or even some scripted drama, but you always know the teams are going to have to do something stupid just to promote the product. One season teams had to let the car auto park for them, then another they had to use the 'kick" lift gate, or use the back up camera to view the clue, or the "synch" system to retrieve a clue, this season they pimped a truck that isn't even for sale in the US anymore (and was built about 20 minutes from where I live).

It wasn't even a detour or roadblock task. They could just have easily had the longhouse clue given at the roadblock. It was something they just created to showcase the product placement. If its only once I'm fine with it, and even more so if this particular task results in Tim & Marie getting eliminated.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
10-28-2013, 10:10 AM
So disappointed. Two straight eliminations, and my two favorite teams gone. :mad::mad:

I had a bad feeling the minute they segued the previews into the resolution of the Nicole/Marie Express Pass blackmail. That was unusual and then to make it more weird they show people just checking in with Phil without any commentary, much less any discussion about potential penalty for T&M.

My only thought on the lack of penalty was that T&M might have gone back and retrieved their missing clue. They showed Travis & Nicole checking in 3rd, then they later show T&M checking in 4-6th with Tim/Danny and the Afghanimals. We know T&D left the detour in 7th place and the Afghanimals had the bad wheel barrow, so it seemed odd that T&M checked in with them rather than T&N. If they didn't need the clue to check in, you'd think they would have just followed T&N and checked in with them, but instead they checked in much later with the other two teams. My only conclusion then is they went back and retrieved it, but because it was continuation and because of the long wait for the boat it was not necessary to show it. Big let down from last weeks ending.

One of my ongoing complaints about Race is how they sometimes set up the legs. I understand bunchings when starting a new leg, but teams had a lot of travel to get to Norway, so I just don't understand the need/purpose, on a continuation leg to have a major bunching, it essentially renders the first half of the leg meaningless, other than to award a prize. When Phil says "here is your next clue, your still racing" it should mean that, not go sit at the dock for 12 hours waiting for a boat.

I thought the detour was ok, nothing we hadn't seen before though. I know its hindsight, but the Beards, never a good idea to switch tasks on a detour, I was really surprised they didn't gut it out. Tim dressed as a women, I don't think I've ever seen someone so miserable at a detour task, it was pretty funny.

I was glad to see Tim & Marie burn their express pass, but thought it was kind of stupid to use it when they did. I understand some of their thought process with a u-turn looming ahead of them, but I think I would have, and they should have, performed the first task, gone to the u-turn station THEN if u-turned hand over the EP, if not continue racing and then see if you need it at the Roadblock to catch up or get ahead. Again, I can understand somewhat why they did it, but it was a knee-jerk use of it imo.

Roadblock was kind of cool, that was one huge apartment complex. But again, I really didn't like how it was set up. Maybe they were trying to get teams to work together, but I would have preferred one of two other set ups. Either teams would have been given totally different apartment numbers, thus preventing them from working as a team, or, teams had to find different flavors and a different flavor would have been located in different apartments. Teams could have worked together somewhat, but not to the extent they did last night. Once I saw the Afghanimals and the Ice Queens work together, I knew what little hope I held out for Adam and Brandon was gone. And as expected, it was an elimination round.

Only thing that can add insult to injury, is if Tim and Marie finish last next week, and its a non-elimination leg as expected.

As an aside, what happened to the Viking coins? Phil said they would need them later in the Race, but it didn't look like they had to present them to anyone last night. I guess later on down the road.

Not sure who to cheer for now. I guess the Doctors, Jason and Amy and ?? for the final three. Don't really have a team that I want to insert in that final spot.

PirateLover
10-28-2013, 01:38 PM
Pretty much :ditto: to Hitchhiking Ghost's whole post. I think the ER doctors are my favorites now. The bunching on this one was a bit ridiculous. I feel like it should've just been a non-elim vs a continuation. Winning the first leg proved NO advantage. And I agree the doughnut task should've been like some other tasks we've seen where there are only one or two doughnuts in one apartment and you have to find another. I don't mind teams working together per say but when they flatout just give the answer it defeats the purpose.

MNNHFLTX
10-28-2013, 03:21 PM
I'm also disappointed that Brandan and Adam are out, I really thought they had the most potential to win the race. I do like how Jason and Amy are competing, as well as the ER docs, so I guess there's still someone to cheer for.

The only other thing I want to add is that I could have done that polka detour blindfolded! Being of German ancestry in Minnesota meant that you learned to polka before you learned to walk. :D

The Hitchhiking Ghost
10-28-2013, 03:25 PM
The only other thing I want to add is that I could have done that polka detour blindfolded! Being of German ancestry in Minnesota meant that you learned to polka before you learned to walk. :D

So then you are most certainly aware of the unfortunate reality that 'In heaven there is no beer."

Ever do Oktoberfest at the Gasthof?

Middle of the Map
10-28-2013, 06:59 PM
Agree with most of Hitchhiking Ghost comments. Sorry to see the beards make a bad choice. Never switch tasks unless you physically cannot complete it. I do get tired of the teams bunching up at different points.

The ER docs are doing well, as are Jason and Amy. I laughed when some of the guys had to dress up (literally) and dance the polka.

Another beautiful city (Gdansk, Poland) to admire, and those cheerful people. Lovely.

MNNHFLTX
10-29-2013, 03:54 PM
So then you are most certainly aware of the unfortunate reality that 'In heaven there is no beer."
Of course. That's why we drink it here. ;)

Ever do Oktoberfest at the Gasthof?Many, many moons ago. It was super-crowded back then, so I can only imagine what it is now. More recently (two years ago) stopped at the Black Forest Inn to pick up some hot German potato salad and sauerkraut balls to go. Yum!! :tasty:

Sorry for going :offtopic: folks!

The Hitchhiking Ghost
11-04-2013, 10:20 AM
That was a bit of a let down episode after the previous two weeks. I certainly wasn't surprised by Danny & Timmy's elimination. They looked in over their heads for quite some time, and while they appear to be pretty nice guys, their tv persona was pretty bland, so no real tears shed at their departure.

Only thing that did surprise me was that it wasn't non-elimination.

First, despite not every team getting on the first train, you had a bunching in Warsaw. Then you had a fairly simple and quick detour task (Marie said it took less than 5 minutes) followed by an immediate road block (with the insertion of a fast forward). In addition, the success of the roadblock was somewhat subjective. No team got in on the first try, many did on the second, and the OK boys and Ice queens were on their 4th a/o 5th tries. Plus none of the confessional interviews really had that "elimination" feel to it. Even when the boys reached the mat, it almost sounded like Phil stumbled when he said "I'm sorry to say you have been eliminated from the Race". Almost sounded like he was going to say something else.

I think the final is 12/8. Don't know if it is a two hour finale again or not. If they plan on two non-elimination legs I think it would have to be. With 6 teams remaining;

11/10 - non-elimination
11/17 - eliminate team 6
11/24 - eliminate team 5
12/1 - non-elimination
12/8 - two hour finale, eliminate team 4 1st hour.

If its a one hour final, wouldn't surprise me then if only one non-elimination round this season.

dobby2010
11-04-2013, 10:54 AM
I was pretty surprised it was an elimination round. I thought for sure it would be non-elim as the road block was so skill specific. Too bad if you're tone deaf!
Continue to dislike the afghanimals. They grate on my nerves so bad. And what was the point of lying about the u-turn? Didn't want other teams to dislike you? Too late!
I'm also surprised that jamy was so shocked that Tim and Marie would dare take their cab. Have they not seen what we've been seeing from pinky?

The Hitchhiking Ghost
11-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Continue to dislike the afghanimals. They grate on my nerves so bad. And what was the point of lying about the u-turn? Didn't want other teams to dislike you? Too late

Only strategic reason that I can think of, is that there is usually two u-turns per season. They may be trying to keep other teams in the dark about whether or not they used theirs already or not. A team might be more likely to u-turn the Afghanimals knowing that they no longer could u-turn another team. Its the only reason I can think of, other than they just like messing with their heads.

Surprisingly, Leo and Jamal are starting to grow on me. Not that I necessarily like them, more like I don't dislike them nearly as much as a I thought I would.

PirateLover
11-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Put me in the dislike column for the afghanimals as well. Just can't root for them.
I thought the road block was quite funny but other than that I agree it was a blah leg. I think it was dumb of Leo and Jamal to lie, because everyone knew they were lying anyway.

Ian
11-05-2013, 09:41 PM
That was a bit of a let down episode after the previous two weeks. I certainly wasn't surprised by Danny & Timmy's elimination. They looked in over their heads for quite some time, and while they appear to be pretty nice guys, their tv persona was pretty bland, so no real tears shed at their departure.

Only thing that did surprise me was that it wasn't non-elimination.
:ditto:

The Hitchhiking Ghost
11-11-2013, 07:56 PM
No big surprise that it was non-elimination. I'm a bit bummed that this is now twice that the Baseball Wives have been saved, once by a continuation leg and now by non-elimination. What always seems to happen is that a team like this seems to find ways to stay alive and finish third, taking a spot away from a team I'd really like to see still in it.

I'm assuming they will have to do a speed bump next leg, although Phil didn't state that when checking them in last. The preview did show them doing some kind of dune buggy task that no other team appeared to be doing, so maybe that was it.

The double u-turn is back again next leg. I don't understand why they do it after a non-elimination leg. My guess is two other teams get u-turned and the Bunnies skate thru to the next leg.

Afghanimals are the only team that can't use the u-turn, Having just finished first, I would tend to believe that they will have a target on their backs.

Hopefully things will start to get interesting. The last couple legs, while very nice for location, have been lacking somewhat in drama.

Middle of the Map
11-11-2013, 11:16 PM
Put me in the dislike column for the afghanimals as well. Just can't root for them.
I thought the road block was quite funny but other than that I agree it was a blah leg. I think it was dumb of Leo and Jamal to lie, because everyone knew they were lying anyway.

The cousins are kind of growing on me. I'm still rooting for the ER docs to win, but the Afghans were slightly less obnoxious this week, it seems to me.

Loved the reading the signs at 200 mph challenge.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
11-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Finally, 3rd time was a charm, even Phil kind of this sort of "ok, your luck finally ran out"expression on his face and in his voice when he eliminated the ninja bunnies.

The leg was set up to save them. Normally the speedbump is prior to the detour, here it was after, so in theory two other teams could have been uturned and the bunnies could have done the detour, moved on to the speed bump and possibly survived. It was definitely (long past) their time to go.

I still think they are one of the better teams, but I'm getting a little off the Travis and Nicole bandwagon. I didn't really care for or buy into their whole "they lied to us!" frequent reasoning/response as to why they u-turned the afghanimals. Frankly I'm surprised that being #1 at that point that they even bothered to u-turn anyone. With the bunnies leaving the pitstart about an hour behind most other teams, and having to still do a speedbump, the likelihood that u-turning the afghanimals would lead to their elimination was pretty unlikely. They certainly picked up a couple nice prizes though, the value on those cars could top out at $100K+.

Down to 5 teams, not really sure who I want to win. I think I'd prefer that the final 3 be Jason/Amy, Travis/Nicole and Leo/Jamal. I could live with Tim/Marie if I knew for certain they'd lose. Ice Queens should be next to go.

Based on the preview for next week, looks interesting. I'm guessing it was a roadblock task and it appears that Nicole desperately is trying to copy what one of the Afghanimals was building, which should go over quite well considering the u-turn.

I'm guessing next week will still be elimination, then a non-elimination then hopefully a two hour finale to cap it off.

PirateLover
12-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Very happy that Jason and Amy won. I could not root for Travis after the way he was treating Nicole when she struggled with the roadblocks. What a confidence killer. The minute she starts to struggle he is nothing but negative. No "You can do it! Hang in there!" it's all "COME ON NICOLE! YOU'RE WASTING TIME! GET IT RIGHT!"

Even in his post race interview he basically said she's the dominant one in the relationship so to see her struggle when she had to actually listen to HIM, and it was his first time seeing some of her flaws... ummm... ok... nothing about being proud of her, or that he should've shown more support. In fact, when asked what he would change, he said he would've done the angklung challenge instead of her because that was the defining moment.

dobby2010
12-11-2013, 11:11 AM
I agree completely. So glad it was Jason and Amy. My heart broke for Nicole when I saw the defeated look on her face in the taxi after one of the challenges and Travis was laying in to her. So sad. Id hate my kids to see me treat my spouse that way.

Actually not looking forward to next season for the first time. After seeing some of the returning teams for this all star season I may pass which makes me so sad!

TheDuckRocks
12-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Actually not looking forward to next season for the first time. After seeing some of the returning teams for this all star season I may pass which makes me so sad!

I just Googled AR All Stars 2014.
Good Grief - Rachael and Brandon .....again!!! :ack: :ack: :ack:
Are these 2 incapable of getting a regular job?
I will be watching though as a couple of my favorites are returning and I'd probably always watch just to see the locations around the world.

Melanie
12-12-2013, 09:41 AM
I find Brenden and Rachel entertaining. I don't love them, but I do get a kick out of them. There are many more on this cast I never wanted to see again (Twinnies, Joey & Meghan, Margie & Luke). Lots of the couples are back for their 3rd try it seems. I'm glad to see the Globetrotters back. One odd coupling I've seen is Mallory (who races with her dad, Gary, normally) and Mark (from Mark and Bopper). What the heck?

dobby2010
12-12-2013, 09:43 AM
I know! Really can't stand them! (Well, her, really). What annoys me more is the teams returning for a third time. Let someone else have a chance. I really don't want to watch Margie and Luke again.

MNNHFLTX
12-12-2013, 10:11 AM
One odd coupling I've seen is Mallory (who races with her dad, Gary, normally) and Mark (from Mark and Bopper). What the heck?
I agree, that will be weird. :confused:

I don't mind Brandon and Rachel either, but I do hope she doesn't cry as much as she did the last time, that got annoying. And I definitely could have done without seeing the Twinnies again, or the Afhganimals, for that matter (it's just too soon after watching them on Season 23, IMO).

Actually, I'm not quite sure why they would call this an "All Stars" race, since many of the teams were not even in the final three at the tail end of their races. It would have been better to call it "Unfinished Business, Part II" or some other appropriate term.

I was really happy that Jason and Amy won TAR. I actually found Marie more bearable (and interesting) to watch the last few shows. Travis, on the other hand, became incredibly boorish at the end. I can't imagine seeing my spouse struggle like Nicole did and reaming her out, not just during the tasks but after as well. The look on Nicole's face said it all.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-12-2013, 10:41 AM
Actually, I'm not quite sure why they would call this an "All Stars" race, since many of the teams were not even in the final three at the tail end of their races. It would have been better to call it "Unfinished Business, Part II" or some other appropriate term.

The odd thing is, the rumored teams coming back for the 3rd time (Cowboys, Margie/Luke and Mallory) all did make final 3 in at least one of their seasons, and lost. Bringing them back seems lame to me. Special the Trotters, who in my book qualify as both cheaters and quitters.

Why Mallory and Mark are racing together, idk, haven't heard anything definitive yet on the rumor mill. IMHO, Mallory is waaaay over rated anyway and I wasn't thrilled to see her name on the returnee list.

It looks like they basically started with the Unfinished Business season and took teams from that season (18) and the seasons thru 23 for teams. Granted, in that small window of seasons, not many teams I'd like to see back, but I would definitely have liked to see Andy/Tommy from TAR19 (the snowboarders) come back (and they were rumored to be finalists) as well as Abbie/Ryan TAR21 (the team that got ganged up on by Chippendales/Trey/Lexie at the double uturn) and (minority opinion I think) Art and JJ from TAR20.

As for this last season, it was a strange one. Going back to week 1 I had Travis & Nicole and Jason and Amy as teams I predicted to be in final 3 (I wanted footballers and the Beards tho) and had Tim/Marie as a wild card, but didn't think their bickering would allow them to make it that far. Going into final 4 their really wasn't a particular team that I wanted to win, but not really a team I wanted to see lose either, so kind of odd. I guess of the choices, Jason/Amy were my pick, but Jason was kind of a dullard but Amy was enjoyable. Actually and Amy/Tim team might have been nice.

Travis, that's a weird one. Only other team that I can think of that got such a strong positive edit in the beginning, only to be hated by the end was Margie and Luke. I honestly think Travis didn't know what to do. I don't think he'd ever seen Nicole struggle, and she really really performed poorly on basically 3 of her last 4 roadblocks. I wouldn't call Jason uber supportive during some of Amy's struggles (like the robot building) but he wasn't negative either. Travis needed to be like Zac from season three when dealing with Flo, just bite your tongue and find a way to get your partner through it. Instead Travis just acted like a frustrated teacher who's student just doesn't get it.

Watching the final task, while I thought it was another nice original take on a variation they'd done several times already, I thought it really felt "off" watching it. Post race interview Jason/Amy said the they finished ahead of the other teams by more than an hour, so I think that's why it felt odd. They tried to edit it to make it more close, but Amy said they were half way thru the task by the time Tim/Marie showed up and she said they knew it would take them a lot of time, as the task was very physical. The totems were also color coordinated, so if you didn't know all the currencies, you could still arrive at the right one thru process of elimination.

My bottom line, not a stellar cast, but great locations. It was also odd for me because I flip-flopped on several teams this season. Couldn't stand the Afghanimals after the first leg, but grew to like them. Likewise (until she made that 60/40 split the winnings comment) I found myself liking Marie more. And then of course Travis and Nicole, liking them in the beginning and routing against them in the end. That doesn't happen for me much.

As always, will still watch next season even if I don't like half the cast.

PirateLover
12-12-2013, 10:42 PM
This is the list that's floating around for the upcoming season for any who haven't seen:

Brendon and Rachel (Season 20) – Married couple who also competed on Seasons 12 and 13 of Big Brother.
Caroline and Jennifer (Season 22) – Country singers
Dave and Connor (Season 22) – Father/Son team and cancer survivors. They had to quit last time due to Dave tearing his Achilles tendon.
Flight Time and Big Easy (Seasons 15 and 18) – Harlem Globetrotters
Jessica and John (Season 22) – Dating couple. They were eliminated with an Express Pass in possession last time.
Jet and Cord (Seasons 16 and 18) – Cowboys
Joey and Meghan (Season 22) – YouTubers
Leo and Jamal (Season 23) – Afghanimals/Cousins
Mallory and Mark (Seasons 17, 18, and 20) – Mallory was part of a Father/Daughter team with her father Gary in Seasons 17 and 18, and Mark was on a Best Friends team with Bopper on Season 20. Due to unspecified circumstances, they will be racing together this season instead of with their original partners.
Margie and Luke (Seasons 14 and 18) –Mother/Son team
Natalie and Nadiya (Season 21) – Twin sisters

TheDuckRocks
12-13-2013, 12:06 PM
I'm glad to see the Globetrotters back. One odd coupling I've seen is Mallory (who races with her dad, Gary, normally) and Mark (from Mark and Bopper). What the heck?

I have watched Brenden and Rachael pick out a house to buy on HGTV, was it 2 times or 3 on Big Brother, Racheal pick out a wedding gown at Klienfield's in NY and some shop in LA (neither of which she wore), her wedding on David Tuterra's show in addition to their AR appearances. And like all train wrecks I can't help but look.
Once again I'll be rooting for the Globetrotters. Sadly I'm sure once again that will be the kiss of being sent home for them.
I don't know why Malory is not racing with her dad, but I read Mark is racing with her as Bopper has an ill child and could not leave home at the time this was filmed. I'm praying for Bopper and his family, he truly seemed like a very loving father and husband.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-17-2013, 11:03 AM
Once again I'll be rooting for the Globetrotters. Sadly I'm sure once again that will be the kiss of being sent home for them.

Can't do it. They were quitters their first season and cheaters their second. While their personalities are very nice, I find them as a team to be less than average, they generally copy and follow other teams and then outrace them at the end. Highly over rated imho and certainly didn't need to see them, Mallory or Margie & Luke for a 3rd time.

tinkwest
12-17-2013, 12:28 PM
Why bring back racers that have been back before? Are that many teams turning down the invitation to return that they need to continue going to the same old teams?

MNNHFLTX
12-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Why bring back racers that have been back before? Are that many teams turning down the invitation to return that they need to continue going to the same old teams?

I think the producers are under the impression that these are teams that viewers would want to see finally win the race on their third try, but I think they're misguided. Many of the third-timers do not have a strong fan base anymore (I'm thinking Margie/Luke, Brendan/Rachel and Mallory, but obviously this could even include the Globetrotters and Cowboys, based on remarks here and elsewhere on the Internet. They're just not liked well enough for people to want to see them again. I know I don't.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-18-2013, 03:32 PM
I wish you could be a fly on the wall and listen in on these planning sessions to figure out who the contestants are going to be. I'd love to know how they eventually get to the final teams.

The commonality for next season is that all teams basically were in Unfinished Business season (18) thru 23, so they are drawing only from 6 out of 23 seasons. That I don't get. Technically the Trotters/Cowboys/M&L/Mallory raced in prior seasons, but they all last appeared in Unfinished Business season.

Cowboys were popular first go round, many felt they really got jobbed when Dan and Jordan won, especially after they made all teams take the same flight stateside. 2nd go round they were ganged up on by several teams sharing info at the roadblock and then them getting u-turned. So there probably is some appeal there for them. Trotters are just fun personalities, but like I said, they quit and cheat, so I don't need to see them. M&L were kind of like Travis and Nicole that first season, they were well liked at the beginning, but by the end loathed by many and Luke's melt down at the final surfboard challenge that cost them $1M was applauded by many. But their 2nd go round was far from exciting. Mallory, they just seem to be forcing this girl-next-door on us.

I can kind of see Cowboys and Trotters from a fan/ratings appeal I guess. I just don't know why they only go back 6 seasons when there is so much more to draw on.

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with teams not being available, or in the case of some interesting couple teams, not even being together anymore. I know there were rumors that for the first all-star season Colin-Christie were asked back, but she was pregnant, same with Unfinished Business with Brooke and Claire, one of them I believe was pregnant. Same might have been for Freddie/Kendra.

The two teams, from the same season (#6) that haven't been on again that really surprise me are Kris/Jon (maybe the single biggest fan favorite) and Kristy/Lena. If any team qualified for Unfinished Business it would have been Kristy/Lena.

Maybe someday when its all over, Phil will tweet or somehow let us in on the secret.

Melanie
12-18-2013, 05:50 PM
I loved, loved Kris/Jon. Wonder if they are even together anymore? That was a looong time ago! ;)

Ian
12-19-2013, 12:45 PM
Personally I've seen enough Margie & Luke and Afghanimals for a lifetime, but I'm excited to see Jet and Cord on the list and of course I love Flight Time and Big Easy (even though I actually agree with The Hitchhiking Ghost's criticisms of them.

I could have sworn that I saw Tim and Marie on the preview, though. Are they really not on or were they a late addition to the list?

Melanie
12-19-2013, 01:47 PM
I could have sworn that I saw Tim and Marie on the preview, though. Are they really not on or were they a late addition to the list?

They were on the original cast spoiler lists I saw, but have been replaced on the lists by the Afganimals. Apparently there were a bunch of couples on that preview, not necessarily just those appearing.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-19-2013, 05:26 PM
They were on the original cast spoiler lists I saw, but have been replaced on the lists by the Afganimals. Apparently there were a bunch of couples on that preview, not necessarily just those appearing.

That's what I had heard too, early leaked lists had Tim & Marie running again. Because of that, many speculated that they didn't make final 3 this season, which obviously wasn't the case.

I seem to remember previews for the Unfinished Business season, they had red-herrings in there too, showing teams in the preview that ultimately were not on that season.

Ian
12-19-2013, 07:40 PM
What a rotten swap. I'm sure they weren't everyone's favorite but I actually liked Tim and Marie a lot. I hated the "Afghanimals" and really am not looking forward to seeing them again.

That's a lousy switch in my book.

tinkwest
12-19-2013, 08:12 PM
Afghanimals + Twins = OMG! :ack:

MNNHFLTX
12-19-2013, 08:41 PM
What a rotten swap. I'm sure they weren't everyone's favorite but I actually liked Tim and Marie a lot. I hated the "Afghanimals" and really am not looking forward to seeing them again.

That's a lousy switch in my book.I agree. I didn't care for Marie the first half of the season, but she wasn't so bad at the end. I would have much preferred to watch her and Tim than the Jamal and Leo again.

Melanie
12-19-2013, 08:47 PM
I'm not sure it was so much a switch, but just that the initial spoiler was wrong.

That said, I'd much rather have the Afganimals back. There's not one thing I liked or found amusing about Marie.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-20-2013, 09:55 AM
This last season was really unusual. Normally I don't find my allegiances or likes/dislikes of teams changing throughout the season, but not so this last time.

First episode, two guys come out with the "We're the Afghanimals!" start doing to war cry and hitting on the Ice queens like they are something special, and my immediate impression was, just two jerks that want to be Race characters, which just like in Survivor I don't like either. Then there was Marie that was lording and beating everyone over the head with the express pass and certainly used the phrase "their dead to me" more times then I've ever heard on tv before. Conversely, there was the strong likeable parents.

By the end of the Race, like many, if not most, no love for Travis and Nicole, and, I found myself, especially in the last 3 episodes, finding myself liking Marie (until she opened her mouth about the 60/40 winnnings split). Somewhere about mid season, I started liking, or at least not disliking the Afghanimals. I think it was because I liked how they lied, which getting past the lies, a lot of what they said, and why they said it was actually strategic, but a lot of that was lost because of Travis & Nicole's 'they lied".

I certainly didn't need to see the Afghanimals again, and probably would have prefered Tim & Marie again over them. Personally would have rather had Chester & Ephraim or the Beards from last season.