PDA

View Full Version : Baby Registry Advice

Belle of the Ball 051411
09-06-2013, 10:42 AM
I have been graciously offered two baby showers and so I am beginning the registry process. For all you Moms & Dads out there, what are some must haves or unique baby items that helped you out that you'd recommend?

I obviously know the basics, (car seat, stroller, crib, pump, bottles, diapers...) but am wondering if there are other baby items out there that won't be on the registry check lists.... Also, is there anything they say you need but you don't?

Any advice is appreciated!

Mickey'sGirl
09-06-2013, 10:53 AM
You don't need a diaper table. Almost every mother I know used a change pad and the bed or the floor or a chair (you get the idea).

You can not have enough receiving blankets, washcloths or undershirts.

I did not put any clothing on my wishlists because you will receive a TON of newborn baby outfits, and honestly, many will never be worn. I had very long babies (24" and 23" long, and they never fit into newborn clothing.)

Diapers were the best gift ever.

I'm not sure where you live, but blanket sleepers were essential for us. Our boys wouldn't keep blankets on, and the blanket sleepers (put on over top of their bedtime sleepers)meant they were warm in the crib.

dobby2010
09-06-2013, 10:55 AM
Going to pm you with the website that was invaluable to me when registering. Some of our favorites were fisher price rock n play for sleeping, a great video monitor, white noise sound machine, summer infant swaddles. Congrats, feel free to message me if you have any specific questions. Just went through all the research on this with our two year old.

cer
09-06-2013, 11:13 AM
You don't need a diaper table. Almost every mother I know used a change pad and the bed or the floor or a chair (you get the idea).

This is true and I wasn't planning on having one, but I found that having a changing table was great. We were able to get one at a garage sale for $25 and painted it and it worked well. The reason we liked it so well it that it provided a higher area to work on so I wasn't leaning over the bed, etc. Helped to save my lower back - and I tend to have lower back problems.

You certainly don't need one, but for what I paid, I thought it was well worth it. When we were done, we donated it to the church nursery.

Hammer
09-06-2013, 11:21 AM

You can not have enough receiving blankets, washcloths or undershirts.

I did not put any clothing on my wishlists because you will receive a TON of newborn baby outfits, and honestly, many will never be worn. I had very long babies (24" and 23" long, and they never fit into newborn clothing.)

Diapers were the best gift ever.

I'm not sure where you live, but blanket sleepers were essential for us. Our boys wouldn't keep blankets on, and the blanket sleepers (put on over top of their bedtime sleepers)meant they were warm in the crib.

It depends on what type of diapers you use if you'll get use from a changing table. My friends who used cloth diapers definitely used a changing table, as the diaper pail was right there. My friends who used disposible did not use their changing tables as much.

Even if you plan to use cloth diapers, you'll still want disposable diapers on your list as they are easier to use if you are out and about for an extended period of time. Oh, and use a diaper delivery service if you use cloth. Cost is comparable to the price for a week of disposable diapers.

A couple of things my friends found invaluable were baby monitors and any sensory activity toys. My friends always liked the big baby towels (with hoods like a lion or Winnie the Pooh) for drying the baby after bath. Thing they found was totally unneccessary? A baby wipes warmer- it just dries out the wipes.

Belle of the Ball 051411
09-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you! You all are giving me excellent advice.

I live in Cincinnati so we will definitely need warm blankets/sleep sacks.

Also, we're not finding out the sex so not sure if I'll end up with essentials at the shower or a ton of neutral baby clothing. I know I will go crazy once the baby is here in February. :)

Dulcee
09-06-2013, 12:05 PM
With my sister's last we also threw a Diaper & Beer party for her husband. So while we were out at the shower her husband had all interested guys to their house (conveniently during football season!). We bought a bunch of pizzas and beer... admission in was a box of diapers.

She ended up with enough diapers to last the first year.... just a thought :)

DVC2004
09-06-2013, 04:21 PM
OK, so my "babies" are 14 and 16 now and there might be something better out there since then, but I loved my Boppy. A Boppy is a semi- circular pillow with the center cut out, like half a donut, and it's a nursing pillow. Even if you bottle feed, it's a very comfortable way to support the baby while you are feeding him or her. They are inexpensive, used to be about $20. I did not get one and I bought my own after struggling. When the little one is a little older they are also a nice comfy support to help them sit up while on the floor. Anwyay, I loved mine. Maybe there is a newer and better version.

SBETigg
09-06-2013, 04:39 PM
I definitely used the changing table, found it very helpful. The nursery had a bassinet and crib, rocking chair, but no bed. Changing a baby on the floor can be done, but not an appealing option for me. We had lots of late nights with babies awake and being able to take them from crib right to changing table was ideal. In fact, I don't know many mothers who didn't use the changing table. So... I guess it's all about what you personally find useful.

My husband's cousin asked everyone to bring a book to the shower to start the baby's library. It turned out to be a great idea, because it was interesting and fun for everyone to see all the different books for babies/toddlers. Reading to your children is so important and great bonding time. At any age. Most people brought a book with a personal message, and of course an actual gift (the book was just the extra).

If you don't really know now exactly what you want or need for baby, don't worry-- your guests will have great ideas and end up surprising you sometimes by going off lists and getting what will turn out to be the most fun or useful things that you never even imagined. Register for what you think you'll need, the basics, and trust that your guests will probably outfit you perfectly anyway.

Lizzy
09-08-2013, 09:21 PM
Most people always go for the most inexpensive gifts on the list. (I have 3 kids, this is my baby shower experience) Get the baby bath soaps and towels and everything on your registry. It was nice, I really didn't have to buy any bathroom stuff besides diapers for almost a year.

The boppy saved my arms, and you can get different covers like pillow cases so that you can keep it fresh and clean.

Receiving blankets are wonderful. They are blankets, swaddlers, bibs, burp clothes, portable changing pads, and sun shade hats. Those little blankets I used for everything! My DD still has a couple she uses for her baby dolls now.

Since you are not finding out the sex, gift cards are helpful too,

Belle of the Ball 051411
09-09-2013, 11:15 AM
All great tips, thanks again!!!

PirateLover
09-14-2013, 10:01 AM
With my sister's last we also threw a Diaper & Beer party for her husband. So while we were out at the shower her husband had all interested guys to their house (conveniently during football season!). We bought a bunch of pizzas and beer... admission in was a box of diapers.

She ended up with enough diapers to last the first year.... just a thought :)

Just had to say what a great idea! To the OP, I don't have any kids yet, so no advice... just wishing you luck and happiness!