PDA

View Full Version : Tom Sawyer Island. Worth a visit?

spoiledraf
09-04-2013, 09:00 AM
We've been to the Magic Kingdom to many times to not have seen Tom Sawyer Island...but indeed we have not. Or the Tree House for that matter. Is it worth the time for a couple of retired folks to raft on over? We'll be in the park for the better part of two days so we should have some time to fit it in. What say ye??? Should we give it a look see? :mickey:

dreadpirateemily
09-04-2013, 09:15 AM
It helps that I'm a huge Mark Twain fan, so take that into account when I say, of course you should do it!
The thing I love about Tom Sawyer Island is that it's a true immersion experience - the pirate caves, the fort, the treehouse with the paintbrush. It's so lovingly detailed and so true to the descriptions in the book that, for me, it's a must-do. That said, I really like to take my time. Lots of folks get over there, run through the island and leave and that's not really the point.
For me, it's an opportunity to slow down and note the details, the nooks and crannies and the quiet places.
If you're there two days, there should be plenty of time to take an hour or so and enjoy. I'm guessing you'll be glad you did!

Mickey'sGirl
09-04-2013, 09:29 AM
Yes.

TikiLounger
09-04-2013, 10:04 AM
Yes! I think you'll enjoy the Treehouse, too!

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-04-2013, 10:17 AM
We've never done it either, might try next trip too

FaithTrustPixieDust
09-04-2013, 10:18 AM
It's a nice break from a typical theme park pace: Wait in line for 45 minutes in order to have 3 minutes of a fun ride. On the island, you can stroll around leisurely and explore at your own pace. Once we make it to the fort, we will sit and play checkers while the kids run amok around the fort. It also offers great views of Frontierland and Big Thunder Mountain RR.

However, I don't endorse the treehouse quite as wholeheartedly . . .

Arielfan98
09-04-2013, 10:30 AM
If you have not done it you definitely should. Do be warned though that if anyone in your party is scared of closed, dark spaces then do not go into the caves but they are fun. In addition, a lot of little children roam around there for do be cautious of them as well. But other than that if you haven't gone there, do it! The tree house is also fun to look at so you should do it!!!

MCeee
09-04-2013, 11:11 AM
In fact, while you're there keep your eyes peeled. If you find the hidden paintbrush (like me :thumbsup:), your entire group gets a fastpass to either BTMRR or Splash!
Even if you don't find the paintbrush, its still a wonderful diversion.

buzznwoodysmom
09-04-2013, 12:04 PM
TSI is one of MK's hidden gems if you ask me. We've been taking our boys there to run off energy since they were toddlers. They have always loved it. Now that they are older, and don't need to run off so much energy, we just enjoy it as an escape from the hustle and bustle of MK. I think it's definitely worth the time.

We took my SIL, BIL, their 3 kids 16, 13, 8, and my MIL and FIL to the island for the first time this past Feb. They all loved it. SIL and her family have been to MK 6 or 7 times, but have never gone to TSI. They said they wished they hadn't waited so long to try it.

MyDisneyworld
09-04-2013, 01:20 PM
The island is so relaxing when you need a break. It's nice to just sit on a bench and people watch. When I was younger my parents would always take us to eat lunch on the island because it was not crowded. Probably why it closed down. You could still bring your lunch over there and have it though.
Have a great trip.

Aurora
09-04-2013, 01:28 PM
Another vote for trying it. Whyever not? It's old-fashioned fun. Sit on a rocking chair, have a drink and watch the rest of the park bustle around the island.

badjujue
09-04-2013, 09:31 PM
We've never done it either, might try next trip too

I love this island. Everyone should go and see it. I spend a couple hours at a time with my nephew. We have a blast

Main Street Jim
09-04-2013, 10:40 PM
Find the owl in the mill.

Sit on the rockin' chairs over at Aunt Polly's porch, or near the raft docks.

Play a game of checkers at the fort.

Explore the "secret" escape tunnel.

Get some *great* photos of the riverboat steamin' by, or of the Haunted Mansion from a new perspective near the barrel bridge.

Go *exploring* :)

Enjoy the (short) raft ride.

DANAM
09-04-2013, 10:41 PM
I would vote yes. We tried it one year but I think my kids were to young to get it. They were still in strollers and not going in dark caves. My DH and I already discussed giving it a second go road when we are there in December. Give it a shot let us know what you think.

PlutoPlanet
09-05-2013, 12:08 PM
We loved it when our DD needed some time to run around and play. As a teenager, no one ever discusses TSI. I'd put it low on the list for a retired couple, although Main Street Jim makes some good points (per usual).

Giggy
09-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Yes, 2 reasons.

1. Try everything at WDW once, even if someone on here didn't like it remember a lot of people do and you could be one of them. NEVER skip something on someone else's recommendation. :secret:

2. On top of that I'd also personally recommend this as a good attraction. Fun to explore, a chance to calm down the rush for a short while, outstanding scenery and theming. :mickey:

EJS-Houston
09-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Hmmm. 'Ya know, I've done neither Tom Sawyer Island nor the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse since I was a child. All these posts have convinced me that I ought'a make a point of doing both on my next trip.

ANG
09-05-2013, 08:19 PM
My answer is always try all of WDW at least once!

We haven't gone back to TSI in a few years. We enjoyed it with DS1.

texas211
09-05-2013, 10:33 PM
My answer is always try all of WDW at least once!

We haven't gone back to TSI in a few years. We enjoyed it with DS1.

Amen. But we do like it. We don't always walk around too much, but might find a place to sit and crash.