PDA

View Full Version : Episode 55 - And We're Out Of Ideas

John
09-02-2013, 02:20 PM
Show notes coming soon! Wanted to get it up and online quickly.

>>Listen, Download, Love, Suggest Topics.... Please... (http://www.intercot.com/interactive/insiderlive/2013/episode-55.asp)

Quadstriker
09-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Bleh! Didn't have time to make theme music for TIOLI. Maybe for the next one.

That's right, I just made a comment about a podcast coming out too quickly.

The Twilight Zone

Mommy2allgirls
09-03-2013, 10:41 PM
I wish I could say I would leave Holidays in the parks but we typically travel during Thanksgiving week or Christmas week because we don't like pulling our kids out of school because we live in a state that makes that hard. So now I say take it

Quadstriker
09-04-2013, 01:58 AM
If Halloween is included in "The Holidays" it's a huge take it. Late October and early November are great! We timed a trip once to hit Not So Scary and Very Merry. Was a great way to "kick off" our Holiday season.

There's zero chance of us ever being able to travel during Thanksgiving or Christmas week, so those are a non-issue for us. I'd probably take that too just for the novelty, but as others said, wouldn't plan on being all gung-ho on the parks.

Would definitely go see Big Bad Voodoo Daddy live. Now that's a show.

BrerGnat
09-04-2013, 08:26 AM
I've only listened to about half so far, but I will say:

Disney Infinity is AWESOME! Seriously. It's so fun. And, the sets are not nearly as expensive as you guys mentioned. Toys R Us had a great "buy one get one 50% off" on all things Infinity on the launch date and regular price for the individual figures is $12.99 or $34.99 for a 3 pack. Someone mentioned they are similar in size/style to Vinylmation and priced similarly as well, but they actually serve a purpose as well. To be honest, the figures are very nicely done. They can stand on their own as collectibles. I'm not going to lie, we spent some money, but we got a LOT of stuff. We even had a 20% coupon for the game itself, bringing it down to $50 (which included three figures). Hours of fun. Truly.

Also, we saw Planes on the Disney Dream. My little guy (7) LOVED it. He is now trying to "collect them all". So, yeah...it was a hit. Actually, my husband and I thought it was not bad at all. WORLDS better than Cars 2. Definitely a decent movie and it looked great visually.

Okay, off to finish listening.

AgentC
09-04-2013, 10:00 AM
I've only listened to about half so far, but I will say:

Disney Infinity is AWESOME! Seriously. It's so fun. And, the sets are not nearly as expensive as you guys mentioned. Toys R Us had a great "buy one get one 50% off" on all things Infinity on the launch date and regular price for the individual figures is $12.99 or $34.99 for a 3 pack. Someone mentioned they are similar in size/style to Vinylmation and priced similarly as well, but they actually serve a purpose as well. To be honest, the figures are very nicely done. They can stand on their own as collectibles. I'm not going to lie, we spent some money, but we got a LOT of stuff. We even had a 20% coupon for the game itself, bringing it down to $50 (which included three figures). Hours of fun. Truly.

. . .
Okay, off to finish listening.

Nat, what platform are you playing Infinity on? My son is is crazy about Skylanders and can't wait for the new fall release but was lukewarm on Infinity so I haven't bought it yet. I've heard that the multi player doesn't work as well on the Wii as it does on other platforms.

BrerGnat
09-04-2013, 10:14 AM
The Wii version is "watered down" from what I've heard. We got it for Xbox 360. The Wii U version is identical to the Xbox and PS3 versions. Don't buy it for Wii. Not the same game.

dpamac
09-04-2013, 10:58 AM
Here's where I'm always lost in the Cars (and now Planes) world. Why does it exist? All of the characters are made for the use of people (cars, planes, forklifts, etc). The main character in Planes is a cropduster. So he's dusting crops for...who exactly? Machines populate the world, there's no evidence of humans except all the structures built for humans that are either sentient or used by the machines. If Skynet has become aware and the machines have taken over, what are the crops for? And what's he dusting for? Are the bugs machines too or are they actually organic? I don't understand the world.

And, yes, I want the worlds in which my cartoons exist to make sense. It all made sense in the other Pixar movies, where they looked beneath the surface of our world to reveal something we wouldn't normally see.

BrerGnat
09-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Here's where I'm always lost in the Cars (and now Planes) world. Why does it exist? All of the characters are made for the use of people (cars, planes, forklifts, etc). The main character in Planes is a cropduster. So he's dusting crops for...who exactly? Machines populate the world, there's no evidence of humans except all the structures built for humans that are either sentient or used by the machines. If Skynet has become aware and the machines have taken over, what are the crops for? And what's he dusting for? Are the bugs machines too or are they actually organic? I don't understand the world.

And, yes, I want the worlds in which my cartoons exist to make sense. It all made sense in the other Pixar movies, where they looked beneath the surface of our world to reveal something we wouldn't normally see.

Uhhhh...my kid liked it. He thinks the cars/planes ARE "people." And he thinks they are cool.

You need a beer.

Dulcee
09-04-2013, 12:59 PM

Did you also wonder why Nemo had to go to school or how the Monsters invented the door to the human world? And maybe they all survive on corn based fuels now...

You would probably find the "pixar theory" intriguing, google it!

As far the question, we went a week before Christmas last year and loved it. There was something really phenomenal about getting away from the normal holiday chaos and being there. We'd totally do it again.

dpamac
09-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Did you also wonder why Nemo had to go to school or how the Monsters invented the door to the human world? And maybe they all survive on corn based fuels now...

You would probably find the "pixar theory" intriguing, google it!

Don't need a beer. I just want narrative cohesion within a rational world.

I didn't have to wonder why in the other films because it all made sense within the context of the film. Nemo went to school for two reasons: 1. It's a pun on the idea of a school of fish. 2. The anthropomorphic world was establishing a story of a parent learning to let go of his son. Meanwhile all of that happened within a small corner of our world that we don't see. Just like the toys existed when we weren't looking and the monsters interacted with our world, using a natural fear as the construct. Pixar has always done a good job in lifting up a veil and showing you a secret world right under our nose. Cars doesn't match up to that.

I'm not asking for scientific realism. Otherwise after his wife died Marlin would have simply changed to a female clown fish.

I just don't feel like Cars/Planes has the natural feeling that the world makes sense. I'm not saying it makes the movies bad. I'm just saying it doesn't make sense. It doesn't have to make sense for people to enjoy it. I didn't even say I didn't like the movies. Just that the world didn't make sense to me.

GMRO
09-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Ummm you guys struggled huh?

I made it thru the cast... ouch.

D23 stuff was ok. Neat to hear about the tear jerking points that Michael reviewed. I'm sure it was good in person. Meeting Joe R. musta been super kewl!

I don't really understand the new gaming system. Does anyone have a link that may explain it? We do have the Wii so maybe a waste of time since comments reflect it's not the same game as the higher end systems show/run.

Take it - for the holidays as long as it's not on the actual day of the holiday. That is unless you have a high tolerance of pain. Went for Christmas in 08' and we were there for 6 days leaving on 12/24. 12/23 and 12/22 it was at capacity at MK. GRID LOCK and not a stroller could move up mainstreet. Before that it was fine and we really enjoyed the parks and decorations and hot chocolate. The music at the resort was great too as we spent time at the pool. Almost didn't feel like Christmas but we still loved it.

And we do want to go back. BUT I'd not be there any closer to 12/25 than we were. It was really uncomfortable.

PS> Hope the icot gals are back for the next podcast!!! LOL

JMTStone
09-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Agree: You need estrogen on the podcast to counter the testosterone.:banned:

I *loved* having Michael back and loved his update. I will be happy to stand next to you with a box of Kleenex next D23. :sob: But I'm sorry, I can't get you into the Charter Member club.

Take it or Leave it: LEAVE IT. I would go to every Halloween party I can but I would NEVER go during a big holiday week. I went Thanksgiving week once. I couldn't do it again. Too crowded. :crowd: People can't see my "no touchie" sign. I take my kids out of school rather than do that again.

Now I'm worried about #runICOT week being so busy.. :eek2:

City of Angels was the movie with Meg Ryan you guys didn't like.

PirateLover
09-04-2013, 03:12 PM
:mickey: Ian, I think you mentioned something early on about wishing Virgin America flew out of Philly~They do. And they are awesome. We flew non-stop PHL to LAX last summer.

Take it or leave it- Take it for the holiday atmosphere, leave it for being in the parks ON the actual holiday.

As for running out of ideas, I know it's been mentioned before, but I think a good segment could be addressing hot topics on the boards. Pick a forum or two and pick a subject/question to respond to. Just a thought.

wildernesslady
09-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Great job guys, but please bring back the ladies.

We take it for the most part. We will be there for Halloween this year. So excited. My very first trip was over Christmas and there was only a MK. I'll never forget watching the fireworks from the tomorrow land terrace on NYE. Lots of fun.

BrerGnat
09-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Okay, done listening now.

I say "leave it", after having "taken it" several times.

We went to WDW in 2010 the week before Easter and it was seriously our best trip ever. Crowds were really, truly, not that bad. Weather was phenomenal. But, I won't press my luck again and now that week is always blacked out from most discounts and I will NEVER pay peak holiday rack rate. Ever.

We also did a December trip in 2011, leaving WDW on the 22nd. Honestly, I was severely underwhelmed by the Holiday decorations to the point that I don't ever need to do that again. We prefer DisneyLAND for their Holiday goings on. WDW pales in comparison.

And 4th of July? Well, I would LOVE to see those holiday 360 degree fireworks one day so I won't rule it out entirely, but I'm not dying to try that time period either.

GMRO
09-05-2013, 01:17 PM
Okay, done listening now.

I say "leave it", after having "taken it" several times.

We also did a December trip in 2011, leaving WDW on the 22nd. Honestly, I was severely underwhelmed by the Holiday decorations to the point that I don't ever need to do that again.

Our trip in Dec08' - I think - was the last year for Epcot's Winter Light thingy they had up. Each night they did some big production with characters trying to make enough power to light up the display. And the trees were super in the parks as well. But again that was 08'. Have only heard complaints since then about the LED technology lights they use and how most are not working on some of the trees. Tell the truth the older lights we liked. And we didn't have issues with trees only partially illuminated, none were dark all were very nice. Least that was our experience.

Shame - it's a great place and you'd think they'd do more to keep the level of decorations UP!

mickeyman42
09-10-2013, 05:53 AM
If travelling during the holiday season runs from say Sept through Dec/Jan, and not just the week that includes said "holiday" I say Take it! We have gone in Nov, and are going next week, and we love seeing the holiday decor around the park(s).
I would never want to go the week between Christmas and New Years (can't even imagine what those crowds look like) but I do love experiencing the holidays disney-style.

mjm
09-11-2013, 11:29 AM
intercot insider #55

Gary - Cars
My kids didn't like it either, although my wife and I thought it was great. My feeling is just because it's Disney...Pixar...Disney...Pixar... doesn't mean you *have* to like it.

Gary - pieced together Walt voice for Mickey
I see where Gary's coming from. This could be the worst idea ever. I'll just take Michael's word for the short and reserve judgement until I see it for myself.

John - hand drawn animation
I agree with John. I wish they would bring back hand drawn animation in a full-length movie.

Take it or leave it suggestion.
Why not get more detailed. For instance, you could do Take it or leave it for each hotel or you could do each ride, each restaurant.

Holidays at the World and Samantha Brown.
My only view of the holidays at the World has been through Samantha Brown's shows. So, has Disney cut back on what they used to do? Were the specials never completely true to the way Disney decorated?

When the girls aren't there...
Yeah, you guys need the girls around to help balance things out.

Oh, and thanks for the date mention!

-- Remember 9/11 --
http://911digitalarchive.org/

Yungbuck73
09-15-2013, 11:47 AM
We did a trip to DLR 12/1/11- 12/7/11 and it was great. Not too crowded except for the weekend when they did the Candlelight Processional. If you didn't get a spot at rope drop and wait all day, you did not have a good spot. We watched the Processional but not the narration by Gary Sinise. It was WAY too crowded. But on a side note, the rest of the park was empty. It's a Small World Holiday edition is awesome and also the Haunted Mansion Nightmare before Xmas overlay is not to be missed, in my opinion.

dpamac
09-16-2013, 02:59 PM
intercot insider #55

Gary - pieced together Walt voice for Mickey
I see where Gary's coming from. This could be the worst idea ever. I'll just take Michael's word for the short and reserve judgement until I see it for myself.

For me it's nice that it's Walt's voice, but it's not something Walt actually personally did. It's like when the Beatles added a backing track to a John Lennon demo. Were all four Beatles involved in some way? Yes. But since one member was dead and didn't intend for his recording to be used like that...well...it's a gimmick.

Don't get me wrong. Disney's connection to its history is vital to the company and is the very life's blood of what keeps us in love with it. But, in a way, no matter how well it is done, Walt's been dead for nearly 50 years. I'd rather seen him treated with honor, not as a bunch of wave forms that can be manipulated into a short.

But that's just me. I'm bitter about everything lately. I don't know why. I'm just in a cranky old man mood these days. Sorry about that.

disneykidsince1970
09-20-2013, 11:40 AM
I've been gone for awhile after planning an epic 40th bday party at Disney for my sister this time last year. (It totally rocked - many thanks to so many here who helped with ideas!)

I got some bad news on the trip (thought I was getting laid off) and then life takes over...and I somehow, I couldn't get back on Intercot.

Now.. All ok on the work front and Nikki and I are planning her 41st bday trip now (we arrive on Oct 23!)...so, we're back. :)

I'm catching up on all the podcasts and just finished listening to the 15th anniversary one from the Contemporary.... a few times. I am laughing and crying and so wishing that we could have been there.... we were thiiiiiiis close - it just didn't work. The podcasts are such great company when I have some spare moments to myself when travelling- mainly while flying. I live in Europe (afraid to say I am not a Disneyland Paris fan - sorry Melanie!) and sometimes... I just need some of my favorite Disney Americana!!! Thank you Intercot.

:rocks:

John made a comment about why he loves Icot - he talked about the people. While corny enough - I know it is true. Nikki and I were born Yankees (CT) but grew up all over FL and Colorado. We also lived several years as adults in the Midwest - including 4 years in STL!

So, for Nikki and I, the "people magic" is you guys - when I listen to all of you, I can relate to each of you in some way. You are all different but linked and connected in some way. The collective charisma and honest energy IS unique and IS fun to listen to.... and **** (!!), we will have to plan for the 17 1/2 (?) or 20th anniversary meet - fer sure!!!

... or it would just be terrrble.

- Carolyn

Carol
09-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Welcome back, Carolyn & Nikki. :hi:

disneykidsince1970
09-21-2013, 10:12 AM
Thanks Carol!!

:cloud9:
Carolyn

BriarRose0708
09-22-2013, 03:11 PM
Finally finishing listening. The Eat to the Beat segment is hilarious and one of my favorite things about the podcast! By the way, Under the Table and Dreaming is the album by Dave Matthews Band.

I'll take it for Holidays at the parks, anything from Halloween to Christmas/New Years is awesome and I think there is enough to see resort wide that you can be strategic about using EMH or resort hopping to manage crowds.

Yungbuck73
09-24-2013, 08:24 PM
Want to thank Gary for mentioning this documentary. Just got from Netflix and it was awesome. So many stories. Everyone should watch.

disneykidsince1970
09-29-2013, 04:09 PM
yes - Thanks Gary! I also just rented the Sherman Brothers documentary - it was great. fascinating. an awesome Sat afternoon diversion while the kids were napping! :)

disneykidsince1970
09-29-2013, 04:25 PM
so... a few ideas for your podcasts...

- people submit their pre-trip demographics and you guys chime in with your experience and ideas.

ex: we are a family of 4 who hasn't been to Disney in 4 years. We are bringing my 80 yr old mother and our kids are 4 and 10. Our budget is a Value resort and we are planning on going in April for 3 days. What would you recommend?

Then you guys debate your ideas, etc. *of course the boards already offer this but it is fun to listen to you guys talk about your ideas/views.

- have guest podcast contributors/interviews. Maybe mods who have just visited or could speak on their "specialty"? Maybe ICOT members who are current or former cast members? Maybe someone from Disney who has unique experience to share? One idea comes to mind - cakes. When I was planning Nikki's big 40th birthday, I spent hours planning her cake (yes, I have a problem). Chef Brian (at the Contemporary) is "famous" for doing amazing cakes and could come on to talk about options and best ways to achieve what you want. He is very friendly and has a bit of an internet presence it seems.

Take it or Leave it:
- Bus Service
- overpriced dinner shows
- water parks
- cast member bad attitude - rise above it or let them have it?

max time you would stand in line for a ride your kid was dying to go on.

Septbride2002
09-30-2013, 05:44 PM
Great podcast as usual!

Although I think Michaels, "You can Keep them apples!" Should have been the title. Seriously Michael - when you are on the podcast I know I can't listen at work due to laughing out loud.

~Amanda

GMRO
11-07-2013, 09:05 AM
ALSO - THANKS GUYS! We did find the Disney: The Music Behind The Magic 2 DSK Set based on I think Gary's mention in this podcast. Least I think it was this podcast...

ANYWAY - the CD is great! Very neat to have the songs as sung by the artists from many of the movies and shows associated with Disney. We found it on e-bay, thanks Ian, and got a brand new unopened, sealed set, for a STEAL!

All ripped onto our iDevices and listening to them now!

Thanks for the tip on this set! Good Disney music and Theme Park music is very hard to come by. This pack makes our 3rd. We have WISHES and the 2 Dsk set put out a few years ago that features the park music. WAY KEWL!

JMTStone
11-07-2013, 09:40 AM
Want to thank Gary for mentioning this documentary. Just got from Netflix and it was awesome. So many stories. Everyone should watch.

We also did the same. Now I can't wait to see the Tom/Emma movie about the making of Mary Poppins.

dpamac
11-07-2013, 01:48 PM
Glad you guys are finding the CDs and the Sherman Bros. movie. They both are really great.

Now if you want to see and amazing Disney-related documentary (only if you're willing to cry giant tears though) find Frank & Ollie. It's amazing.

JMTStone
11-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Glad you guys are finding the CDs and the Sherman Bros. movie. They both are really great.

Now if you want to see and amazing Disney-related documentary (only if you're willing to cry giant tears though) find Frank & Ollie. It's amazing.

I cry every time I see A Man and His Dream. I'll have Kleenex ready :cry::crying: