PDA

View Full Version : Kids viewing parades

Susan A
08-24-2013, 11:04 PM
Hi!
I really want my kids to have a good view of the
Spectromagic Parade when we visit in October. It is their first trip.
I remember when I was little, some adults let me stand in front of them at the rope. Are people generally that curtious or is the attitude, "I've been standing here for over an hour and too bad if I'm three feet taller than you"?
I do want to say that we're not planning on cutting through the crowd just before the parade begins.
What is your experience with little ones? How long is reallistic for them to sit and wait for the parade to begin?
Thanks! :mickey:

kakn7294
08-24-2013, 11:35 PM
Welcome to Intercot!!!

Unfortunately, the Spectromagic parade no longer runs. However, the Main Street Electric Parade does run in it's place.

To answer your question, some people will let children in front of them for parade and fireworks viewing but I wouldn't count on it. I always do but not everyone is that nice. A realistic time expectation for your children to sit and wait just depends solely on your children and how patient they are. Mine were pretty good but others can't wait even a few minutes without getting fidgety.

Pastcastmemberdaughter
08-25-2013, 02:22 AM
If you"have" to have your children see the parade on Main Street or the hub area I would recommend getting there anywhere between 30 and 45 minutes before the parade starts and if the fireworks are before the parade your going to want to find a spot that long before the fireworks and then just don't move after the fireworks and stay there for the parade. It can be a long wait, lol. I usually stay there and put bags beside me and my husband takes the kids and do some quick rides or get a snack while I hold a spot for my son. However if you don't want to wait that long line up somewhere else along the parade route. Let's say Liberty Square or Frontierland. Those areas generally don't get busy as quickly. That's just my two cents. Good luck and have fun!

Also I have noticed sometimes the employees play games with the kids before the parade. But that's defiantly not a guaranteed thing. That usually helps the time pass by.

Pastcastmemberdaughter
08-25-2013, 02:24 AM
Ahhh just noticed you are a fellow Maryland person. Cool! :number1:

Susan A
08-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Thanks
I don't expect to be on Main St. I know how popular it is.
I let small children stand in front of me. Why not?
I like the idea of shopping bags to hold places for the kids.
Hey, maybe they can skype with Grandmom while waiting for the parade to begin.

P.S.( "PastCastMemberDaughter", Just moved from Howard to Carroll County).

disneydeb
08-25-2013, 03:45 PM
As an adult of only 5 ft. I have never seen a parade unless I am standing around Frontierland.

I would let them stand in front of me..: blush: I think most people would if asked nicely.

Main Street Jim
08-25-2013, 07:08 PM
Take a blanket and set it out right at the curb to save your spots.

There's only me and my wife, and we do this all the time for the parade. We even let kids sit with us :)

Pirate Granny
08-25-2013, 07:12 PM
If I am sitting on the curb, with my grandchildren, no, I wouldn't move to make room for some adorable kids who show up 10 minutes before the parade with their parents asking if they couldn't please squeeze in...I'm sorry, I've entertained my young ones for an hour waiting front and center so they have a good seat...am I mean, no, not really, but fair is fair. Now if I am standing behind people sitting, yep, I would let the kids stand in front of me...but not with their parents...sorry, mother and dad would have to stand behind me....

Mickey'sIrishPAl
08-26-2013, 08:52 AM
Kids get the free pass to the head of the curb. Parents stand beside or behind me or in some circumstances if they have really little ones that need closely monitored I will insist that they stay close to their toddlers. My son is older and loves kids and has been known to "babysit" smaller ones that we let sit in front of us on the curb. The parades are for the kiddies and as long as I have an eye on my children and am assured that my son is keeping an eye out for others' little ones (with their parents' permission, I don't care who stands in front of me (child-wise). I wil go out of my way to ensure that there is no child that can't see the parade and I have also left myself open to abuse by parents who felt that they had a free pass to stand in front of me. I just politley remind them that my charity was for the children and not to make the view better for them (parents). Never been met with confrontation, rather more appreciation than anything.

Aurora
08-26-2013, 09:04 AM
Kids get the free pass to the head of the curb. Parents stand beside or behind me or in some circumstances if they have really little ones that need closely monitored I will insist that they stay close to their toddlers. My son is older and loves kids and has been known to "babysit" smaller ones that we let sit in front of us on the curb. The parades are for the kiddies and as long as I have an eye on my children and am assured that my son is keeping an eye out for others' little ones (with their parents' permission, I don't care who stands in front of me (child-wise). I wil go out of my way to ensure that there is no child that can't see the parade and I have also left myself open to abuse by parents who felt that they had a free pass to stand in front of me. I just politley remind them that my charity was for the children and not to make the view better for them (parents). Never been met with confrontation, rather more appreciation than anything.

:thumbsup: :mickey: You have a wonderful attitude. Wish I could buy you a :beer: or the beverage of your choice.

MNNHFLTX
08-26-2013, 10:15 AM
I second the suggestion to view the parades from Frontierland--it's a fairly straight section of the parade path, so you can see the floats, etc. quite well and doesn't tend to get as crowded as other areas.

As far as people letting your kids up in front of them at the parade, you might get lucky. But if they've been standing there for a long time, I don't think it's fair to expect it. I agree it's probably best to stake a spot out at least 30 minutes ahead of time. If you're worried that your kids will get fidgety, one person can hold the spot for a short period of time, but I wouldn't chance coming back just before the parade starts, as the viewing area can get pretty congested and you would have to manuever your way through the crowd.

I don't know how old your kids are, but have you talked about waiting for the parade with them? I would try to let them know what to expect ahead of time. I know with my son when he was little, his interest in the parades was minimal and so it was not worth the effort to wait.

buzznwoodysmom
08-26-2013, 11:54 AM
If I am sitting on the curb, with my grandchildren, no, I wouldn't move to make room for some adorable kids who show up 10 minutes before the parade with their parents asking if they couldn't please squeeze in...I'm sorry, I've entertained my young ones for an hour waiting front and center so they have a good seat...am I mean, no, not really, but fair is fair. Now if I am standing behind people sitting, yep, I would let the kids stand in front of me...but not with their parents...sorry, mother and dad would have to stand behind me....

:ditto:

I am not a mean person, and definitely wish every child has a magical experience in Disney! That said, when my kids were younger we sometimes grabbed our spots for the parades 30 minutes to an hour ahead of time. It was very important to us at that time to have a great spot. DH and I enjoyed sitting on the curb with our children for the parades. If you are seated at the curb you can't let anyone in front of you, they can stand in front of the curb. And I am sorry, this may come off as mean, but there is no way I would stand up and give my spot to anyone after waiting that long. And besides I wanted to enjoy the parade sitting with my kids, not standing behind them. That's why we always got our spots early. My kids never had problems waiting. We were always very firm that if they wanted to watch the parade and have a good spot then we had to get there early and wait, just as they had to wait in lines for rides. This was from the time they were 2 years old and 9 months old until they were around 8 and 6. I think if my kids could wait then most children are also capable of waiting if it's important to them. Now that they are older sometimes we skip the parades altogether, sometimes we watch from behind others. It not so important to us now that we feel the need to get a great spot.

I just don't think it's fair to expect parents enjoying their time with their children to get up to allow your children when you arrive later simply because they are kids. I certainly never expected that.

Also the parades are not only for children. I am always surprised when I hear or read that comment, that WDW or the parades and shows are "for the kids". WDW is there for, and enjoyed by ALL!

Mickey'sIrishPAl
08-26-2013, 02:55 PM
:thumbsup: :mickey: You have a wonderful attitude. Wish I could buy you a :beer: or the beverage of your choice.

Captain and Coke. Meet me there in a week. :thumbsup: We can't just have one so second round on me!! Your choice!! :mickey::marg:

Thanks tho. It means more to me to see my kids as well as any other child making memories and having that visual, albeit for 15 or 20 minutes, to hold on to as they grow up. If I can help any child, not just my own, see better and be that much closer to Mickey, Minnie, their favorite princess, etc. then I feel that I have done my part to show my children how its done as an adult. Hopefully my children will see this and practice this approach toward others when they eventually grow up and have their children in similar positions in the distant future. This is not the norm nor do I frown upon or look down on others that do not sahre my way of doing things but this is how I want my children to remember me...putting others before myself.
I'll be waiting on that drink:D

Aurora
08-26-2013, 03:07 PM
Captain and Coke. Meet me there in a week. :thumbsup: We can't just have one so second round on me!! Your choice!! :mickey::marg:

Thanks tho. It means more to me to see my kids as well as any other child making memories and having that visual, albeit for 15 or 20 minutes, to hold on to as they grow up. If I can help any child, not just my own, see better and be that much closer to Mickey, Minnie, their favorite princess, etc. then I feel that I have done my part to show my children how its done as an adult. Hopefully my children will see this and practice this approach toward others when they eventually grow up and have their children in similar positions in the distant future. This is not the norm nor do I frown upon or look down on others that do not sahre my way of doing things but this is how I want my children to remember me...putting others before myself.
I'll be waiting on that drink:D

I looked at your profile and your "parade" view makes perfect sense, seeing what you do for a living. I have no doubt your children will grow up to be fine people because of your example as a parent.

Lucky you to be heading down so soon and for as many days! Wish I could share that drink, but I'll toast you at one of my boys' football games. :beer:

Mickey'sIrishPAl
08-26-2013, 03:39 PM
I looked at your profile and your "parade" view makes perfect sense, seeing what you do for a living. I have no doubt your children will grow up to be fine people because of your example as a parent.

Lucky you to be heading down so soon and for as many days! Wish I could share that drink, but I'll toast you at one of my boys' football games. :beer:

That's a deal. :mickey: And I will raise one to Aurora!!

Appreciate the kind words. Really means alot.

kakn7294
08-26-2013, 03:43 PM
As I stated before, I too prefer to let a child in front of me to be able to view the parade rather than to have to view my big butt. I don't care if I've been standing around for an hour and they just walked up - if I can make room for them, I will. My daughters will do the same too now that they are finally taller. They have been the appreciative recipients of the same kindness over the years. It enhances my enjoyment of the parade to know that I've possibly made someone else's day a little more magical.

Mickey'sIrishPAl
08-26-2013, 04:02 PM
:ditto:

I just don't think it's fair to expect parents enjoying their time with their children to get up to allow your children when you arrive later simply because they are kids. I certainly never expected that.

Also the parades are not only for children. I am always surprised when I hear or read that comment, that WDW or the parades and shows are "for the kids". WDW is there for, and enjoyed by ALL!

I am not sure if I misspoke in earlier posts but to address your statements:
I would NEVER expect an adult to make room for my children. If we are not there to reserve spots for ourselves, then we should not be granted that privilege as we did not earn that right to have that spot.
I can only speak to what I do, not what I expect of others. Me at 6 foot 1 will not stand close to the curb if I know that there are young ones behind me that will have restrictied view. Again, I would not expect anyone to make it easier for my children but I will make it easier for other children to better their view.
I did not mean that the parades are just for children and I apologize if I offended. My take is that the children see Mickey Mouse and all of their favorite characters and truly believe that what they see is real hence the experience maybe means more to them than it might for adults who know that under the costume lies an every day Joe or Jane who is there DOING A JOB. Yes its glitz and glamour for adults and great photo ops, but in my opinion and I will not speak for others, it means more to them because it is real to the kids.

buzznwoodysmom
08-26-2013, 05:47 PM
Mickey's IrishPAL,

No offense taken, just giving my opinion and view point of the situation.

I should have added that any time we didn't get a spot early enough and had to stand behind those seated (just a few times) I would definitely allow a child to stand in front of me with my kids. But most of the time we were seated on the curb, often with one or both of the kids practically in my lap, or arms hung around my neck. Those kinds of experiences only happen so often, and we enjoyed them so much! There really isn't any room to allow another child to sit with us, they can't get in front of us as standing in front the curb isn't allowed, and I didn't want to miss out on these wonderful memories with my little ones. We know how quickly they grow up, and wouldn't be caught dead sitting or hanging on mom and dads lap or neck once they reach a certain age. :thumbsup: Thankfully my youngest, even at 11, still loves to cuddle with his momma! My 13 year old, yeah, not so much. LOL.

Mickey'sIrishPAl
08-26-2013, 06:53 PM
Oh...i couldnt agree more. they grow up so fast and
as far as the topic at hand i do respect your opinion greatly. :mickey:

ANG
08-26-2013, 08:10 PM
This is unfortunately why we don't get to view many parades. My sons will not wait long enough to get a good spot. And they aren't old enough yet to send in front of us. Usually, we just pass by as the parade is going on and squeeze in if we get lucky and find a spot.

JerseyDad
08-26-2013, 09:23 PM
......I apologize in advance to any / all that may take offense at my opinion on this ....but ...I find the whole "I'm saving a spot / space for someone else" action to be incredibly rude, selfish, inconsiderate ....and dangerous.

...I'm currently here at WDW (just ate dinner in POP) and read the above. I was at MK last night ....and witnessed the "spot saving" as I had never seen ...and / or noticed before. This was taking place 2 HOURS before the 9pm Main Street Electric Parade. There were people with their butts planted on the curbs ...and on the ground ....both sides of the street ...and around the hub ...where there's no defining "curb" or border, and some people lying down ..stretched out ..so they could maximize their land-grab. So ...basically ...there were persons sitting in the street ...as if they were at a picnic ...and limiting people's ability to cross the street. The topper ....was ONE WOMAN ...who had set out THREE beach sized towels ...end to end ...dead center aligned with the castle front door ....on the back side of the hub. I witnessed at least 3 people almost trip over this 45 sq ft area that she staked out ...and each time ...her snapping a nasty look at those that invaded her "territory".

.....again ....it's my opinion ....and as such ...things were way out of control.

disneynarula
08-27-2013, 07:38 AM
I have to agree. I also travel with my own young children. If i spent an hour holding my spot my kids are the only ones in front of me. You need to stake out your own spot if it is that important to you. However, when I went to Disney before I had kids I would certainly let a child stand in front of me.

Mickey'sIrishPAl
08-27-2013, 09:41 AM
......I apologize in advance to any / all that may take offense at my opinion on this ....but ...I find the whole "I'm saving a spot / space for someone else" action to be incredibly rude, selfish, inconsiderate ....and dangerous.

...I'm currently here at WDW (just ate dinner in POP) and read the above. I was at MK last night ....and witnessed the "spot saving" as I had never seen ...and / or noticed before. This was taking place 2 HOURS before the 9pm Main Street Electric Parade. There were people with their butts planted on the curbs ...and on the ground ....both sides of the street ...and around the hub ...where there's no defining "curb" or border, and some people lying down ..stretched out ..so they could maximize their land-grab. So ...basically ...there were persons sitting in the street ...as if they were at a picnic ...and limiting people's ability to cross the street. The topper ....was ONE WOMAN ...who had set out THREE beach sized towels ...end to end ...dead center aligned with the castle front door ....on the back side of the hub. I witnessed at least 3 people almost trip over this 45 sq ft area that she staked out ...and each time ...her snapping a nasty look at those that invaded her "territory".

.....again ....it's my opinion ....and as such ...things were way out of control.

That's ridiculous. Some people have this sense of entitlement when at the parks and could care less about any other person in that park. It sickens me but I do not allow some people's actions/ ignorance bother what I do. I look at it this way...if you want to camp out in a spot and save some area for your group 1 to 2 hours in advance for a 15 minute parade, knock yourself out. And the people that are sitting there and holding the spots all look so miserable as angry and do give off dirty looks when others invade what these people believe to be THEIR space. Whatever. If it makes you feel empowered to keep a constant vigil on your "Space" then so be it. I'll be riding the rides and enjoying myself with my family with not a care in the world.
Just my opinion. :D

Opus X
08-27-2013, 11:06 AM
Of all the years and parades we have watched....especially the last 3 trips..(our kids are small) age 5-7..We watch a parade everyday.
I have never had an issue at all. We ALWAYS watch parades in frontier land. IMHO, its the best spot by a mile. But, i have to laugh at all these "issues" concerning saving spots...crowding and cutting...I just haunt ever see it.:confused:
We have also watched parades on Main street. But...dont recall any issues there either.
Either way, Frontierland is the place to be for parades!!

Arielfan98
08-27-2013, 01:35 PM
It's been years since I was a little one but I think I remember waiting for the parades to get a curb spot. I'm not a mean person but like others have said I think it's fair protocol that the rule is "first come first serve". If me and my children got curb seating after waiting 30 minutes I would not give that up. However, if there was room I would invite other children to sit with us or if I had been standing. I myself am only 5'2'' so if I have waited a long time for prime viewing I am going to enjoy it. I think your best bet is to wait 30 minutes prior to the parade and give your children toys/iPods/iPhones to play with in the mean time.

Opus X
08-27-2013, 05:36 PM
Thats why we watch parades in frontierland.
Easy...never had an issue with this so called "parade cutters, rude people..." etc.
Just never experienced it.
So,...We will stick with frontierland for the best parade watching there is!!:thumbsup:

Terra
08-27-2013, 05:59 PM
I agree about getting there at the very least, 30 minutes before. Generally, I take my boys about 45-60 minutes before.
They are 5 and 6.5! The key is to maybe time it where they are hungry, so you can get some CS meal, and take it with you so the kiddos can eat. That takes time. And then maybe take along a hand held game or tablet. Books/coloring...something that can keep them busy. That's always been the way we go and we've done it since they were small. Yes they do get antsy but generally we sit along a curb as well and that way they can get up and stay within 5-10 ft of me and get their energy out.

As a rule of thumb, if there is a kiddo behind me and there is room in front of us or beside me, I let the kiddo in :) [generally on the curb though, with just myself and 2 boys, there is not a lot of room before the cast members start saying stay out of the street.

Main Street Jim
08-27-2013, 09:44 PM
I agree about getting there at the very least, 30 minutes before. Generally, I take my boys about 45-60 minutes before.
They are 5 and 6.5! The key is to maybe time it where they are hungry, so you can get some CS meal, and take it with you so the kiddos can eat. That takes time. And then maybe take along a hand held game or tablet. Books/coloring...something that can keep them busy. That's always been the way we go and we've done it since they were small.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This is what we *always* did. Keep the kids fed/entertained. The *one* time I can remember my kids getting "bored" was back in about 2002 when we went for our first Halloween party. We staked out our spot at Center Street (near Uptown Jewelers) and watched the Horseman make his ride. Then it was still about 15 minutes until the parade. I have a picture of my oldest daughter (then about 13 years old) falling asleep between the Horseman ride and the start of the parade...LOL

Susan A
09-03-2013, 10:12 PM
Wow! I wasn't expecting so many responses!
I don't want to push through a crowd and take a front row seat from anyone (who has been waiting for a half hour or more). I just hope my kids can get a view of the parade. :mickey:

DonaldDuckUSA
09-04-2013, 02:48 PM
I second the suggestion to view the parades from Frontierland--it's a fairly straight section of the parade path, so you can see the floats, etc. quite well and doesn't tend to get as crowded as other areas.

AGREED! Honestly, we're not parade people and we'd much rather ride while the lines are short. However, due to poor planning we've been "caught" in Frontierland. We've seen a lot of the parade this way and we didn't have to wait. AND it wasn't crowded so we had a great view. Then the parade song is in my head all night. :mickey: