PDA

View Full Version : Backlot Tour in 1998

Zawadi
08-21-2013, 04:25 PM
The other night we were watching the live action version of 101 Dalmatians from 1996. I asked DW if she remembered the backlot tour on our first WDW trip in 1998.

I recall starting in a prop store with Maximilian, evil robot from The Black Hole, hanging from the ceiling. I think the tour then concentrated on the live 101 Dalmatians with audience participation of a green-screen bicycle ride through London followed by sets from the movie including Cruella's car and the Ford van used by Horrace and Jasper.

I got a total blank look :( Could someone please confirm that I haven't dreamed this.

Aurora
08-21-2013, 05:48 PM
Definitely didn't dream it! We did the same tour, and I have video to prove it! In fact, you can probably find video of that era on YouTube if you do a search. (Not mine, though. :))

The Horned King
08-22-2013, 05:54 AM
As said. Was definatly there! Remember it myself. :)

bruin1344
08-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Definitely didn't dream it! We did the same tour, and I have video to prove it! In fact, you can probably find video of that era on YouTube if you do a search. (Not mine, though. :))

I second the youtube suggestion. I had success in the past looking up old attractions.

disneynarula
08-23-2013, 06:18 AM
I can remember when the backlot tour focused on Honey I Shrunk the Kids. That was the glory days of "MGM Studios". I don't know if it was because the park was brand new but I do remember thinking it was the best park on property. I loved the Monster Sound Show and Super Star Television!

Dulcee
08-23-2013, 07:50 AM
You are not making it up! Somewhere I have the video of ny dad as the audience participant on that bike.

ThanxForNoticin
08-23-2013, 12:33 PM
I remember it, too! They used to have the live dalmation puppies right by the entrance.

Zawadi
08-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Thanks to those that suggested YouTube. Found a 2-part video recorded in 1996.

I'd forgotten the animatronics demo of Punch, Kipper and the young puppies but do remember the frozen solid Horace (Mark Williams).

BTW, DW watched the clips and could only remember Cruella's car :doh:

GoBlueLacheta
08-30-2013, 12:04 PM
I was extremely young, but it was near the MGM-Studios opening, but I remember driving past all the houses on the tram as well a large green-screen stage scene with the bee from Honey I Shrunk the Kids.