PDA

View Full Version : Save $ on Dining Plan?

disneynarula
08-21-2013, 08:13 AM
I recently did some number crunching concerning the dining plan and I just don't see how I can end up saving money even though DH wants to get it.

On paper it looks liked we save money using the DDP but in reality I don't think we did.
Truthfully I would never eat dessert at every meal and sometimes I am happier with a small appetizer as my meal.

According my my calculations even if we each had a $40 dinner each night, a $15 counter service meal and a $5 snack we would only save about $2/per person per day. I don't think we would each have a $40 dinner each night. We probably would not even do a table service each day.

To add to the mix my picky eater son turns 10 this year so we have to pay the adult price for him. It's not a huge deal since my younger son is a huge eater and can eat an adult meal but it still seems like a lot of money.

Does anyone think the saved money on the DDP?

princessesmom
08-21-2013, 08:42 AM
We tried it a few years back and we definitely did NOT save money. The other issue I had was feeling pressure to eat more than we normally would to feel like I was taking advantage of the plan. Getting dessert with every meal was just ridiculous. We do generally do a sit down restaurant every day, but it is still better for us to pay as we go. I'm sure for some people it is a good idea, but certainly not for everyone. And I never understood the advantage of prepaying. If you're simply worried about not having the money when the bill comes in, put the money you would have paid for the dining plan in a separate account and only use it to pay that bill.

VWL Mom
08-21-2013, 08:43 AM
I'm sure you'll get many saying it's not a savings and just as many saying it is. Personally, after doing a the calculations (after each trip) we would have spent more using the DDP which we did try one trip because DH wanted it.

Look at the breakdown you gave. Unless you do all buffet dinner or have dessert with each meal, $40 dinners each night probably is more than you need, especially paying adult prices for a 10 year old that maybe ordering from a kid's menu. Like you, there are nights where I am an appy or salad for dinner person. There are also nights where we grab CS or go Signature (which would never cost 2TS or $80).

If you're doing CS each day and again don't need the dessert it will run about $11 for an entree with a bottle of water and we have found some of the entrees are enough to share.

I believe those that use it and come out ahead but I also believe number is limited. After all, DIS is not in the business of losing money.

Ms. Mode
08-21-2013, 08:44 AM
I have a love/hate relationship with the DDP. I love it because it's all paid for in advance...or in some cases FREE! I know that when we pay OOP we eat way less, but sometimes eating at the premier places is nice and OOP we just could not afford it. Plus, I always overeat on the DDP (but we walk it all off). I did save all our receipts one year and we saved MAJOR on the DDP for what we ate. So, if you go with the DDP maybe you could make a few ADRs for the nicer spots and make sure you get the value from the plan. :blush:

k10
08-21-2013, 08:49 AM
Perhaps your family would benefit from trying the Quick Service Dining Plan instead? Based on your post, it may be beneficial for you guys and you may feel like you're not wasting / overspending?

Speaking for me and my DH, we always get the DDP that includes the snack, quick service and table service. We use the snack as our breakfast. The quick service is always lunch. And then of course we always plan out our table service dinner. As a couple obsessed with food and going out to dinner, we really do save. Last January DH got an amazing dinner from Narcoossee's. I want to say that on the menu it was over $80. Steak, lobster, etc on the dish. That right there is something he wouldn't be able to afford at home on a night out. But with the dining plan, he's able to splurge on those big fancy dinners.

Just one person's experience. I hope you find what works best for you and your family, to maximize savings and maximize the magic! :mickey:

dnickels
08-21-2013, 09:16 AM
Disney would not push the Dining Plan so hard if it saved guests money (on average) and cut into their bottom line. The vast majority of people end up paying more $$ to Disney for their food than they would have if they never knew the DP existed and just paid as they went.

From what you've said (wouldn't normally eat dessert, wouldn't normally do TS each night), you'd almost certainly be better off to pay as you go out of pocket.

The DP exists to benefit Disney, not the average guest.

Bay Lake
08-21-2013, 09:20 AM
We love the dining plan for a few reasons, first knowing that it is pre paid helps us. We plan our trips about a year in advance and pay weekly to help us afford it, so knowing that mostly everything is covered is good for us. Second we are food people, being a chef I always like eating at new places or different places, this plan allows us the freedom to do that.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-21-2013, 10:37 AM
I think it varies from person to person based on what you would eat. We like desserts at TS, but actually I think the CS desserts is too much. However, we feel it saves us money and like the convenience. Also, I like the feeling that I can order any entree I wish without worrying about price. For our family,we won't go without it:mickey:

Disney Goof
08-21-2013, 11:25 AM
We have done both the Dining Plan and no dining plan. The dining plan is great if you plan on going to the Signature restaurants only. When we did the plan we used our credits for the double credit places. It would have cost a fortune to do it OOP (which we wouldn't have done) but it was doable with the DDP.

This is a never-ending discussion. It has its advantages for some and disadvantages for others.

Just enjoy your time there and alway have a Mickey Ice Cream Bar!!!:bar:

PlutoPlanet
08-21-2013, 11:53 AM
We gave up on the DDP. With an annual pass or DVC we get Tables in Wonderland, a 20% off of most dinner restaurants. I

SBETigg
08-21-2013, 11:56 AM
I don't think it usually saves people money overall. I think most people use it for the convenience of paying ahead or under the false impression of saving money. You did the right thing. You crunched the numbers and can see how it would work for your family. But now good luck in getting your DH to see things your way.

Mrs Bus Driver
08-21-2013, 12:43 PM
On my up coming trip I will most likely use DDP because others want it. If it were up to me I'd go out of pocket. Since I will be on the plan the only thing that makes since is to do several 2 credit places as other posters have said. Also someone said DDP includes CS, well is does but only if you want to do it that way. At least as I understand it I could eat 3 TS a day if I wanted. Or I could use snack credit for breakfast, TS for lunch and a 2 credit TS for dinner everyday. Not that I want 2 TS everyday but you never know. :mickey:

The Hitchhiking Ghost
08-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Perhaps your family would benefit from trying the Quick Service Dining Plan instead? Based on your post, it may be beneficial for you guys and you may feel like you're not wasting / overspending?

I don't have the back up, but pretty much on any thread that discusses this, its almost unanimous that if the DDP doesn't save you money, that the QS plan is even a worse deal.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
08-21-2013, 03:51 PM
From a purely fiscal perspective, I think even Disney on its website/brochures only touts it as a 15% savings (or so) vs. dining out of pocket.

As of family of 5 with a 10 year old "adult" child the free dining plan has always been the better option for us. But I have always said, that it if it isn't offered for free, then we would go out of pocket. There is just too much that you get that you don't need, and how many families do you see on their last day stuffing their suitcases full of Mickey Mouse rice krispie bars because they had 20 snack credits left over.

The biggest advantage, imo, is simply the mental benefit of going down there an not looking at the menu prices each day. You do get a piece of mind not having to do that, but is it worth the cost? I don't think so.

Besides value, a lot of people not familiar with the plan think that just because they have 10 TS credits that they can just eat where they want, they don't realize that people are making reservations 180 days out. The DDP pretty much forces you to plan out all your meals six months in advance. For some, that's a welcome challenge, for others, its a pain. There's not much value if you don't get to eat where you want.

I guess put me in the firm category that it is no longer worth the value it once was, and the savings is minimal at best.

WiDisneyFan
08-21-2013, 04:07 PM
We've done the dining plan, QS plan, and no plan. Last week we did the QS plan and I can tell you we didn't save any money. Even if Disney touts it as saving 15%, in reality we are spending more because we never would have had the dessert, and most likely brought bottled water from the room and not purchased the drink with the meal either. So for the 3 of us we would have paid about $25 on average if we had gone out of pocket for all 3 of us combined. The dining plan cost more than that per meal.

VWL Mom
08-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Also someone said DDP includes CS, well is does but only if you want to do it that way. At least as I understand it I could eat 3 TS a day if I wanted. Or I could use snack credit for breakfast, TS for lunch and a 2 credit TS for dinner everyday. Not that I want 2 TS everyday but you never know. :mickey:

That wold be the DlxDDP. the regular plan is 1CS & 1TS.

The one trip we did DDP we did the Dlx and used it just as you suggest using 2TS for Signature dining each day.

k10
08-21-2013, 04:17 PM
I don't have the back up, but pretty much on any thread that discusses this, its almost unanimous that if the DDP doesn't save you money, that the QS plan is even a worse deal.

interesting fact. thanks for sharing.

cer
08-21-2013, 04:53 PM
The biggest advantage, imo, is simply the mental benefit of going down there an not looking at the menu prices each day. You do get a piece of mind not having to do that, but is it worth the cost? I don't think so.

I used to enjoy that too, but I have realized the freedom I was giving up.

My last trip was the first time we paid out of pocket for our dining. I actually got the food I wanted. I could choose appetizer over dessert if I wanted to. I could choose appetizer over entree. I did not feel compelled to get a drink when all I really wanted was water. I could say "no" to the dessert and finally get that yummy park treat. You know, the park treat I could not even think about because I was sooooo full.

How many times did I want the clam chowder at Columbia Harbor House, but didn't try it because it wasn't an option on the plan....

This time, I felt completely satisfied and not stuffed. It was my best dining experience at WDW ever.

At the end of the day, Disney is not going to give anything away - really. Free dining? What is the room rate? Dining plan a better value? - I guess, but would you really choose to purchase the prepackage counter service chocolate or carrot cake? Probably not.

I am glad we paid out of pocket -it was a refreshing change and one that I think we will keep.

disneynarula
08-23-2013, 08:15 AM
I used to enjoy that too, but I have realized the freedom I was giving up.

My last trip was the first time we paid out of pocket for our dining. I actually got the food I wanted. I could choose appetizer over dessert if I wanted to. I could choose appetizer over entree. I did not feel compelled to get a drink when all I really wanted was water. I could say "no" to the dessert and finally get that yummy park treat. You know, the park treat I could not even think about because I was sooooo full.

How many times did I want the clam chowder at Columbia Harbor House, but didn't try it because it wasn't an option on the plan....

This time, I felt completely satisfied and not stuffed. It was my best dining experience at WDW ever.

This is what my thinking is...

For example when were there last year this was my meal history one day.

For lunch that day we went to the Tangerine Cafe. I got a platter that I would have gotten regardless of our meal plan. However I don't think I would have had a drink or dessert. So my $20 lunch would have been more like $15.

For dinner had this huge,price fixe, three course meal at Captain's Grille. I can't remember the exact price and it's not on the menu anymore but I think it was around $40. What I really wanted was a crab cake and a salad. That costs around $20. I don't drink soda usually but I had one since we were on the DDP.

After dinner we took a stroll around World Showcase. I was too stuffed to enjoy my favorite Epcot treat, school bread. I think that costs around $4 and I would have bought one if I wasn't so full from my huge dinner.

So... I spent close to $60 on my meal, which makes it look like we saved money. In reality I would have spent around $50.

Most days were like this with DH and I ordering the most expensive things on the menu to get our money's worth. After we totaled the receipts it looked like we saved money. Today I actually spent the time looking at what I would normally order and calculating the costs.

My MIL is a vegetarian and she is also allergic to milk. When we totaled her receipts she did not save money.

It's also a ton of work trying to get your money's worth at counter service places. I also think the prices have gone up since the DDP was introduced.

I also don't think we would have had a TS meal every day. Our favorites are Boma (we always eat there twice), Sanaa, and the Captain's Grille.

On the other hand I am concerned that DH will cheap out once he sees the actual prices. We also enjoy trying out new places and not worrying about the prices. It was nice to get a $20 burger at the Grand Floridian and not think about it being a $20 burger.

Considering that we only go to WDW every three years or so I think I might stick with the DDP just for peace of mind. *sigh*

BrerGnat
08-23-2013, 09:51 AM
Our recent trip just further cemented the fact that the DDP is not a money savings tool. There were 5 of us this time, and for 4 days, we averaged $150 spent on food total. Our actual room charge at the end of 4 days was $571. This included all food, snacks, alcoholic drinks (which there were plenty of :blush: ) and souvenirs (which there were very few of). That comes in under $150 per day for 5 PEOPLE. And, we ate well. We had 2 TS meals and the rest was CS. We had breakfasts in the room (after spending $40 on breakfast "supplies" from the gift shop on our first day). I just don't see how the DDP can save anyone money.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
08-23-2013, 12:37 PM
I just don't see how the DDP can save anyone money.

The only way is in the discussion of "free dining" vs. a room discount. As we generally stay at moderates and are a family of 5 (3 deemed adults for the meal plan) the value of the "free" dining still far exceeds the potential $60 a night savings we might see with a 30% discount. Even knowing we wouldn't order everything you get on the DDP the cost for the plan on our last trip would have been $1800-2000 to purchase it outright for the number of days we stayed while the room savings probably would have been around $600, so in theory we came out $1200-1400 ahead, with the knowledge that a couple hundred of that wouldn't have been spent if we'd been oop.

So in that context, for us its still a value. But if the choice is whether to pay for the plan or not, for us the answer is "no".

GoBlueLacheta
08-23-2013, 01:16 PM
I think DIsney is willing to give up a mere 5% to 10% savings (if you utilize it correctly) to ensure that you will clearly eat 95% of your meals on Disney property.

We are trying the Dining Plan for the first time in January. With some of the other offerings with the premium plan, plus having the ability to have 90% of our vacation paid for in advance and only having to worry about travel costs and gratuities is a bit easier on finances over the course of 6 months.

Hammer
08-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Our recent trip just further cemented the fact that the DDP is not a money savings tool. There were 5 of us this time, and for 4 days, we averaged $150 spent on food total. Our actual room charge at the end of 4 days was $571. This included all food, snacks, alcoholic drinks (which there were plenty of :blush: ) and souvenirs (which there were very few of). That comes in under $150 per day for 5 PEOPLE. And, we ate well. We had 2 TS meals and the rest was CS. We had breakfasts in the room (after spending $40 on breakfast "supplies" from the gift shop on our first day). I just don't see how the DDP can save anyone money.

Natalie, get what you are saying, but that isn't necessarily how it would be for every family. As an example, there is no way my parents would have done just 2 TS meals with our family over the span of a vacation. We had 1TS meal a day, and we ordered whatever we wanted. My father enjoyed nothing more than for us to be waited on and relax at a meal as a family when on vacation. Most times, we were not going to be getting chicken as we had that a least a couple times a week when at home. The whole family (kids included) ordered (and still do) veal, nice cuts of steak, and different fish dishes. I'm sure this is why my sister and I dine as we do today. Our bill last October for food, drinks, and souvenirs (like you, we purchased very few) was close to $1500 for 5 nights for 3 people and we ate breakfast in our DVC villa.

Having said that, I will say the DDP is not for us. We eat almost all of our dinners at signature restaurants and each of us usually has an alcoholic beverage (or two :blush: ), so Tables in Wonderland works best for us. I can see, though, where DDP could be beneficial for families who eat at a lot of character meals or want at least 1TS a day.