PDA

View Full Version : sinkholes

disneyaholic46
08-18-2013, 07:26 PM
not sure if this is the right forum but i need to ask, with all these sinkholes in florida, is disney world safe from these awful things? do they have to do testing every so often? i would feel better knowing that the ground is being tested for our safety,

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-18-2013, 08:01 PM
Can't help thinking the same thing . It seems to me that it used to be rare to hear of sinkholes but these days they're getting to be a common occurrence

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
08-18-2013, 08:10 PM
The state geological survey's sinkhole map of Florida shows that Disney World is in the most sinkhole-prone type of terrain, where thin clay sits atop holey limestone."

VWL Mom
08-18-2013, 08:37 PM
Sinkholes are not only a FL problem. Since Sandy, there have been reports of them in both NY and NJ. Scary stuff!

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
08-18-2013, 10:02 PM
not sure if this is the right forum but i need to ask, with all these sinkholes in florida, is disney world safe from these awful things? do they have to do testing every so often? i would feel better knowing that the ground is being tested for our safety,

To be truthful, you are probably more likely to be run over by a Disney bus, than to be swallowed up by a Disney sinkhole.

AgentC
08-18-2013, 10:37 PM
My county has one of the highest incidents of sink holes in the state of FL. Although the extreme cases are scary, they are really rare. I know of at least 10 houses within a mile of me that have confirmed sinkholes.

Last year it was common to see sinkhole testing and cement trucks doing sinkhole repais everywhere.

In most cases sinkholes don't open up suddenly , there are usually signs in the house such as cracking drywall, step cracks in the stucco, sticking doors and windows etc. Most of the time no one tests until they have signs because it is currently very expensive to test. A test on a single family home can cost $10,000-$20,000. In the last 10 years there was one house that did partially collaspe in a sinkhole in my town. The house was undergoing repair for its sinkhole so it was not a huge surprise.

Although it is scary when they are reported I wouldn't worry too much.