PDA

View Full Version : Teens at Disney

Disney Doll
08-15-2013, 06:37 PM
Hi all! We're taking a big family trip in Feb. which includes our 13 year old nephew. He's been maybe once before, but that was several years ago. At 13 he's less impressed by Disney World. Any special activities or anything you would specifically recommend for that age? My kids are much younger so I don't have personal experience with teenagers at Disney. Thanks in advance! :mickey:

seanyred
08-15-2013, 07:13 PM
Rent a boat at Bay Lake or Downtown Disney. What about a water park day? Disney Quest? Hope that helps.

faline
08-15-2013, 07:24 PM
Is he into the thrill rides - Test Track, Space Mountain etc?

The arcades located at each resort are often draws for kids this age.

If he's only been to Disney World once before, I'll bet there will be a lot he's impressed with even if he won't admit it to anyone but himself!!

mechanic
08-15-2013, 07:41 PM
my boys are 16. 18. and 20. they all love being at Disney. they havr no trouble finding things that interest them. we let them spend most of the day on their own.

SBETigg
08-15-2013, 08:13 PM
They tend to act disinterested at that age, and some are. But most lose the disinterested act and get into it all once there, so I wouldn't worry too much. My teens at that age would have rolled their eyes and scoffed at any suggestion of special "teen" activities. So I recommend just rolling with it, keep your plans and let him join in or opt out as you go.

1DisneyNut
08-15-2013, 11:07 PM
I agree, some will put up the "Disney World.....pffft" front until they get there and then they are big kids just like the rest of us. In all the many trips we have had to WDW with teenagers included, we have yet to see one not have a great time and get caught up in the magic once there. They usually are talking about "the next time" on the way back home. lol

Kairi_7378
08-16-2013, 06:17 AM
I agree with Sherri about the suggestion of "teen" activities. However, is there any way to incorporate the 13-year-old in the planning process? Maybe allow him to suggest a restaurant?

mgmnut
08-16-2013, 08:23 AM
I agree with others that I think he will "soften up" over time once you are down there.

SBETigg
08-16-2013, 11:54 AM
I agree with Sherri about the suggestion of "teen" activities. However, is there any way to incorporate the 13-year-old in the planning process? Maybe allow him to suggest a restaurant?

Good advice. That tends to help, too. My kids as teens loved all the parks especially thrill rides, Sci-Fi Dine-In, San Angel Inn, Anything in the Japan Pavilion (the store, plus Teppan Edo and Tokyo Dining), and counter service over sit down meals, except for the above mentioned, most of the time.

Plus, they wanted some mornings to sleep in and hated being rushed around. Even though you might think it's important to get to x attraction first thing on park opening, a teen isn't likely to share your enthusiasm, even though they might really appreciate getting to ride x without lines when the opportunity presents. So basically, taking a more laid back approach when possible is the key to happier Disney time with teens.

hoop de do
08-16-2013, 12:06 PM
What are his hobbies or interests? I'm pretty sure there will be something at WDW to fit in with that aspect. That is a tough age but the WORLD has a way of breaking through.
Have a great vaca. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

bruin1344
08-16-2013, 01:26 PM
I agree, some will put up the "Disney World.....pffft" front until they get there and then they are big kids just like the rest of us. In all the many trips we have had to WDW with teenagers included, we have yet to see one not have a great time and get caught up in the magic once there. They usually are talking about "the next time" on the way back home. lol

I agree from similar experiences when I was a teen.

The thrill rides is a good place for teens. Also, this is an "out in left field" suggestion but if he has to go on kiddie/tame rides or shows, joke about the corniness of the ride/show to get him laughing. Or you some light sarcasm about the show/ride. An example of what I am talking about: if you are at the Country Bears, joke about how funny it would be if they sang gangster rap songs.

mom2morgan
08-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Good suggestions above - I just wanted to say that we didn't START going to Disney until my oldest was 14 - and our list trip was when our youngest was 14 (last September). They LOVE Disney - absolutely no teenage "blahs". I'll admit that they do also love a day or two at Universal with the bigger, badder thrill rides- but they'd be happy even without that. My 20 year old still expects us to take her every time....LOL
ps - did anyone mention DisneyQuest? If he's a video gamer (most 13 year old boys are!) he should like that. I haven't personally been - mine are girls and therefore their most exciting thing to do is go shopping by themselves.

thads
08-16-2013, 04:18 PM
So this may seem a little weird, but it worked really well for us. My teenage son did not want to take pictures with the characters anymore. We were gathering a ton of pictures of my younger son's, but not my oldest. So I convinced him to start taking pictures with non-character cast members. He totally got into it. He took pictures with cast members from attractions, food servers, store clerks, and even a few willing guests. The cast members acted flattered and really got into it. Some made faces with him, some got groups of cast members together, some posed in specific photo locations, etc.

After a few days of doing this, he decided to take a picture with "country themed" cast members in each country of Epcot (coincidentally all female:blush:). So he has this cool, around the world, collage. Honestly, they are some of our favorite Disney World pictures.

masonlovesdisney
08-17-2013, 03:42 AM
So this may seem a little weird, but it worked really well for us. My teenage son did not want to take pictures with the characters anymore. We were gathering a ton of pictures of my younger son's, but not my oldest. So I convinced him to start taking pictures with non-character cast members. He totally got into it. He took pictures with cast members from attractions, food servers, store clerks, and even a few willing guests. The cast members acted flattered and really got into it. Some made faces with him, some got groups of cast members together, some posed in specific photo locations, etc.

After a few days of doing this, he decided to take a picture with "country themed" cast members in each country of Epcot (coincidentally all female:blush:). So he has this cool, around the world, collage. Honestly, they are some of our favorite Disney World pictures.

Ya know..Im 19 and i honestly might start doing this. Just to make the CM day. I know they have to love it.

kakn7294
08-17-2013, 01:41 PM
If you do choose to do Disney Quest, please know that they have recently changed the policy and now anyone under 14 yo has to have a responsible person over age 14 with them. My daughters (13 and 18) did up Disney Quest in June and even with eating lunch, they were done there in just a few hours.

spoiledraf
08-17-2013, 04:58 PM
We took my son 18 years ago when he was 17, going on 30...he didn't like it then and doesn't like it now. We paid for his and my daughters family to go two years ago and he and his family left before the week was over. He says now, take the kids if you like but neither him or his wife are interested. Guess not everybody gets bit by the Disney bug.
On the other hand, my daughter who lives in Georgia is ready to jump in the car with us every time we go. She has the Disney spirit. (But this next trip we're not tellin her we're goin! ;) Is that mean?)

vamaggie
08-17-2013, 07:52 PM
The thrill rides is a good place for teens. Also, this is an "out in left field" suggestion but if he has to go on kiddie/tame rides or shows, joke about the corniness of the ride/show to get him laughing. Or you some light sarcasm about the show/ride. An example of what I am talking about: if you are at the Country Bears, joke about how funny it would be if they sang gangster rap songs.

ANother "pull" would be for him to "help" his cousins (the younger ones ) on the rides-this way he goes on the kiddie rides not because he "wants" to but because he is being a good cousin and helping out (and he will probably love the rides too but would never say it!)

Giggy
08-19-2013, 08:35 AM
I was 15 for our 2004 trip and I loved every second of it. Then again I had been twice before in 2001 and 1998 so I knew what was coming. :number1:

I know it's a different age group but in 1998 my parents weren't overly enthused before going to WDW. It was just for the first week of 3 in Florida and "for the kids". When we got here they loved it and we came back several times in our second week and for the last couple of days in our third week. It can surprise people how much they like it once they are actually here! :mickey:

tink88
08-19-2013, 06:19 PM
It is so much more laid back and relaxed! She, also 13, often brings a friend and they take off for a bit, we all sleep in, no rush anymore to anything. Don't get me wrong going with a young child is a blast and immensely rewarding but going with teens is terrific. Would he/you be OK with him taking the little ones around? My daughter takes her young cousins on rides, just around in the stroller or to shop too. As you can imagine my brother and his wife love the break. The great thing is, unlike when I was young, texting keeps us in immediate contact and teens always wander back once they have run out of money lol. Have a great trip. BTW its very nice of you to be thinking about your nephew and wanting to make sure he has a good time. I'm sure he will. :mickey: