PDA

View Full Version : What happened to summer?

Ms. Mode
08-14-2013, 09:40 AM
Well, it was in the 50s this morning when I left for work! It seems this whole summer has been rain and fog and rain, and rain, and rain. I can't remember a summer that has been this wet! And we only made it out of the 80s for one week, and even then it was low 90s. I'm wondering what happened to "summer". Is anyone else seeing strange/different weather at home?

Also, a local weatherman was saying something about how many foggy mornings you have in August will determine how many snow "events" you have during the winter. Has anyone ever heard of this? I sure hope he's wrong...we have had an unusal amount of foggy mornings this month...today included! :cool:

faline
08-14-2013, 09:44 AM
We've had a decent summer in New England - for the most part. Today is pleasant but lows tonight will dip into the upper 40s in some places - brrrr!!

Never heard that about fog before?!

LauraF
08-14-2013, 10:06 AM
I agree - Summer was nice in New England this year. Warm, but not hot.

I don't mind weather and its ups and downs. It's when we get a string of the same type for too long, I get bored - be it warm, hot, cold, wet, dry, etc.

And that's why I live in New England! It changes constantly! :D

disneymom15
08-14-2013, 10:06 AM
Here to, in my opinion, has been a cool summer. I really like the heat, upper 80's low 90's is perfect for me. We really only had 1 week of mid to upper 90's this whole summer. This morning it was 44, I'm sitting at my desk with my space heater on brrr:freeze:. 26 days til we're in the Florida heat:mjump:

AgentC
08-14-2013, 10:11 AM
I wish summer was over here! It is a steamy 86 with 70% humidity in west central Florida today. :sun: And if the weather pattern continues I'm sure there will be a down pour this afternoon. :rain:

I am looking forward to the 70s but I probably won't see them until October.

vicster
08-14-2013, 10:17 AM
Upper 50s in Chicago this morning as well. I don't feel we've had much of a summer. We waited all winter for this? I like a little heat!

SBETigg
08-14-2013, 10:50 AM
My New England friends seem to be forgetting that long heat wave we had earlier in the summer? It was reportedly quite unpleasant for a little while there. I spent most of it in central AC working, so barely noticed. But that is why I'm wondering what happened to summer. It went by in a blink! Because I was working through so much of it. Now I want it all back.

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-14-2013, 11:08 AM
Most people in Southern Ontario are also in an bit of a stink that we "have missed summer".

But, I just got my July hydro bill, and it reflects the week or so when it was so crazy hot that the AC was NEVER off, even at night. Now, I can do without that!

princessgirls
08-14-2013, 11:31 AM
The summer has been good here in NJ. More rain than I would like, but it hasn't slowed me down any.... LOL!!

Summer just goes too fast. I love it so much!

Julie:mickey:

Zippy 1
08-14-2013, 11:32 AM
Boy we have had about a 10 day break from the heat. It has been in the mid to high 90"s for most of the summer plus fairly high humidity. Which for us in Colorado is unusual. The heat is suppose to return on Friday. We would actually take more rain in parts of the state. Other parts are getting flooding storms. I would like a nice gentle rain for a few days. Not likely though

missymouseworld
08-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Very cool this morning in Central NJ with the jet stream giving us cool weather from up north....not your average middle of August weather, but it is bearable as long as it doesn't rain and the kids can play outside.

I can't say the weather this summer has been the worst we have seen, but it could be a bit better. As long as the Hurricanes stay away this year, we are all HAPPY!! Still recovering from Sandy and my parent's house at the shore was lifted and raised and was scheduled for completion by Memorial Day....(NOT)....maybe 4th of July....(NOT).....maybe Labor Day...keeping our fingers crossed.

Madame Leona
08-14-2013, 12:35 PM
It's been pretty stinkin' cold and rainy in Michigan this year. Yesterday, we had to wear sweatshirts the entire SUNNY day and last night it got into the 40s.

cer
08-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Well, everyone's summer came here.

Yesterday's high in Austin was 103....

Mrs Bus Driver
08-14-2013, 01:01 PM
I left summer behind in Phoenix Az when I moved to New England 3 weeks ago and don't miss it one bit. I like the constant changing weather and love the rain :mickey:

Melanie
08-14-2013, 01:35 PM
Love, love, love!!!

joonyer
08-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Yeah, if you still want some summertime weather, just come south. We have have those hot humid days until October. Central Florida even longer. August is just the middle of the dog days of summer here in Georgia.

azcavalier
08-14-2013, 03:56 PM
Yeah, if you still want some summertime weather, just come south. We have have those hot humid days until October. Central Florida even longer. August is just the middle of the dog days of summer here in Georgia.

Until this weekend! I saw that the high in Atlanta was going to be in the 70's at the end of this week. That's crazy.

Here in the Blue Ridge mountains, its usually not as hot as the lower elevations of Virginia, but we at least hit the high 80's. Not this year! We're about 12 inches above average for rainfall, and haven't had a clear sky in months. Today it's in the mid 70's and *perfect*.

I'm hoping that it's a bit more mild than usual in Lake Buena Vista when we head down to the World next week.

Madame Leona
08-14-2013, 03:58 PM

Good idea!! We are on our way to Florida next week!! Just stinks since my kids learn to swim this summer but we've hardly been able to use the pool even with a heater. Nobody should have blue lips when they come out of the pool in August :(

Kenny1113
08-14-2013, 04:38 PM
I wish summer was over here! It is a steamy 86 with 70% humidity in west central Florida today. :sun: And if the weather pattern continues I'm sure there will be a down pour this afternoon. :rain:

:ditto:

I'd love an 86 though!!!! We are in the mid 90s even Into the evening. These past couple of days have been beautiful with a nice breeze. I'm hoping this is an indication of an early fall for us. (And then an early spring for our cruise ;) )

faline
08-14-2013, 05:55 PM
My New England friends seem to be forgetting that long heat wave we had earlier in the summer?

I didn't forget about it at all - love the hot weather - it tells me summer is really here!!

Ms. Mode
08-15-2013, 08:05 AM

I don't know about that; we were in Atlanta the last week of July and it didn't get over 86 and there was like ZERO humidity! Actually, it was great weather for the Braves games we went to...which they won! :thumbsup:

sportsguy2315
08-15-2013, 07:11 PM
It was so cold today I wore sweats and a track jacket to work this morning...and we're in August. Thankfully, we're supposed to see high 80's next week.

Carol
08-16-2013, 08:42 AM
LOVED the nice weather we've had here the past few weeks. It is leaving though. Heat wave on it's way. :(

I hate a hot, humid summer. :ack:

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-17-2013, 02:05 PM

Same here, lots of rain, highs mostly in 90s this past month and the humidity oh my:fan:

garymacd
08-17-2013, 02:25 PM
Most people in Southern Ontario are also in an bit of a stink that we "have missed summer".

But, I just got my July hydro bill, and it reflects the week or so when it was so crazy hot that the AC was NEVER off, even at night. Now, I can do without that!

Loved this summer. I must be getting old. I used to love really hot summers, but that was back when I worked as a lifeguard and could just get cooled off by jumping in the lake (without being told!) Looked pretty good in a Speedo then.:blush:

Now, carrying around 60 pounds of protective equipment with limited ventilation in the heat of the summer is just not that appealing.

I am just glad I am not an A/C technician. Very slow summer.

Don't worry. I just heard we are going to get a little extra summer later this month and into September with temps in the mid to upper 20's and low 30's.

Kenny1113
08-17-2013, 02:56 PM
Now, carrying around 60 pounds of protective equipment with limited ventilation in the heat of the summer is just not that appealing.

:fireman: ?

DH really complains about how hot it is in the gear in summer too!

garymacd
08-19-2013, 11:34 AM
:fireman: ?

DH really complains about how hot it is in the gear in summer too!

:fireman:
Yup!