PDA

View Full Version : Dining problem. Opinions needed.

buzznwoodysmom
08-12-2013, 09:09 PM
We have a large group going to Disney for Thanksgiving week. We are a party of 23 at 6 different meals throughout the week. The probelm is we have one extra guest that would like to join us. There is room for her in one of the rooms, but I really don't want to have to rebook all our meals.

It took DSIL and I over a week to get all these reservations made. Many places we had to call and leave messages for such a large party, only to be called back days later and told they couldn't accommodate our large group. Everyone is completely happy with the meals we eventually got.

In the past I have been told by Disney that to change the number in a party you have to cancel and rebook for the correct amount. That is just not going to be an option at this point. There's no way we will be able to get all these places again. In our party we have an 8 month old baby that will not be eating at any of the meals. I hate doing this, but does anyone think we could just tell them we didn't count the baby? We will be a party of 24, 23 plus the 8 month old.

I hate being in a situation like this. I hate telling the one person we can't add her, but there are also 23 other people that have planned for this trip and these meals.

By the way our party includes all of DH's family. The extra guest is the sister in law of one of DH's brothers, so it's not one of their family members being excluded from a family vacation. Thanks!

Arielfan98
08-12-2013, 11:20 PM
I would try not counting the 8 month old baby. The baby will not use a sitting space the same way an older child or adult might and certainly will not be fed a full meal. If not, I would say maybe politely tell the extra person the situation and perhaps she can join another time?

clarkee
08-12-2013, 11:24 PM
Ok so I totally see your dilemma. I agree that after all that hard work, and getting some of the restaurants that you want, I wouldn't want to rebook either.

It is nice that you want to accomodate another guest. I can also see that you want to follow the rules but feel pressured to make everyone happy.

Here is the logic. Last I checked they didn't make tables for 23. The truth is because of your number, the extra guest will probably not make any difference at all. I would totally say that you didn't count the baby. If it were me, I probably wouldn't even mention it until we sat down and they started counting people. (If at all) Having taken a baby to the restaurants before, you could leave them in the car seat and just put it on the extra chair that will definitely be available because of the originally odd number or bring a clip on high chair that you buy at Babies R Us and fit it in where appropriate.

You should be aware however, that when they split your party up at various tables, which they will no doubt do, any table of six incurs the extra gratuity (18%). The baby will count as a sixth member of the party for this gratuity even though they are not eating. If you have a problem with this, ask to speak to a manager and they may remove this extra fee (50/50 depending on the managers mood).

Good luck. I know this is not necessarily the most popular vote but it is logical.

VWL Mom
08-13-2013, 07:24 AM
I would just let her know the situation and tell her they will accommodate her where they can.

When you check in just let them know that you are 23 plus an infant. In this case they will probably be able to make the adjustment, worst case scenario is you play pass the infant around the laps during dinner.

You should be aware however, that when they split your party up at various tables, which they will no doubt do, any table of six incurs the extra gratuity (18%). The baby will count as a sixth member of the party for this gratuity even though they are not eating. If you have a problem with this, ask to speak to a manager and they may remove this extra fee (50/50 depending on the managers mood).

You will be charged 18% as the reservation is for 23.

buzznwoodysmom
08-13-2013, 09:26 AM
Thanks guys. I am going to call Disney today to see what they officially tell me.

For the record, I am well aware that gratuity will be added to all meals. Lol. That's not an issue.

buzznwoodysmom
08-13-2013, 10:49 AM
Just got off the phone with Disney. I was told that if we explain that we didn't include the baby because we thought she didn't count that they would not turn us away for the one extra person. I may try calling back a few times to see if I get the same response from other CMs. I know they don't always give out the same info.

SBETigg
08-13-2013, 12:00 PM
Denise, I wouldn't worry. With a party your size, one or even two extra people shouldn't make much difference and they will not turn you away for it. You don't even have to explain the baby. I think they expect some variation when dealing with very large parties, and they're usually very accommodating. They don't plan in advance to accommodate a party of 23 only to turn you away if you show up with 24.

buzznwoodysmom
08-13-2013, 12:06 PM
Thanks Sherri. That's what I think as well, but still....I hate "bending" rules. Lol.

SBETigg
08-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Thanks Sherri. That's what I think as well, but still....I hate "bending" rules. Lol.

I know what you mean. Sometimes I think we know too much because we hang out here, so we think about the details.

And I could be wrong. I don't know this one from experience with a party that size. But I have successfully added one on at the last minute with a party of five. I just can't imagine it being a problem, and I am ready to be outraged on anyone's behalf if it ever was an issue. Adding three or four to your party, maybe a problem.

ThanxForNoticin
08-13-2013, 12:44 PM
You should be fine, especially with an 8-month old in the group. I'm not sure where you'll be eating, but we've had a super time dining with groups as large as 21 - and most of the time we all sat together. There are a few places (like OHana, Portobello, and Boma, for example) where they can handle groups that big without splitting you. All those meals are very special, so don't exclude anyone if you can avoid it!

buzznwoodysmom
08-13-2013, 02:09 PM
I know what you mean. Sometimes I think we know too much because we hang out here, so we think about the details.

And I could be wrong. I don't know this one from experience with a party that size. But I have successfully added one on at the last minute with a party of five. I just can't imagine it being a problem, and I am ready to be outraged on anyone's behalf if it ever was an issue. Adding three or four to your party, maybe a problem.

I know what you mean about us knowing "too much". LOL. Everyone else in our group was like "yeah, let her come, no big deal". And I, the planner, was like "Ahhh, wait a minute! What if...."

In Feb. I had made all our reservations for 10. At the last minute my mom didn't join us, but my mother and father in law did. So we ended up with 11. I was able to change all our reservations to 11 except Chef Mickey's. When we arrived with 11 they didn't even mention it, so I have had good experience with this kind of thing. Still freaks me out to not have it exactly as it should be.

buzznwoodysmom
08-13-2013, 02:22 PM
You should be fine, especially with an 8-month old in the group. I'm not sure where you'll be eating, but we've had a super time dining with groups as large as 21 - and most of the time we all sat together. There are a few places (like OHana, Portobello, and Boma, for example) where they can handle groups that big without splitting you. All those meals are very special, so don't exclude anyone if you can avoid it!

We are almost always a large group since we travel with my SIL's family on most of our Disney trips. I agree Ohana's is an awesome place for a large group, we do it every trip and have always been seated at one large table.

We actually have a reservation for 25 (two extra guests for just this meal) for Ohana's this trip, with this new guest we'll be 26. But at this point I'm thinking we'll be taking up two of the large tables in the center anyway so the extra person should fit here no problems. We are usually around 12-16 people and we take up one whole large table, so I'm kinda expecting/hoping that we will be seated at two of the large tables this time.

Another one I'm not too concerned with is Sci Fi. We ended up with 3 separate reservations for groups of 5, 8, and 10. Being the cars seat 6 I'm thinking she should easily be able to squeeze in with the group of 5. Not to mention that the baby will likely not take up a seat in the car, she'll probably be seated in a high chair outside the car, so that frees another spot.

Then we have the TS place at Riverside one night. I'm not concerned with that one as it's not a popular place. This is for our last night and we are staying at Riverside. Worse case, she grabs something in the foodcourt for one solo meal, but I'm not too worried about this one.

The other meals we have are Ohana's breakfast, Cape May dinner, Liberty Tree Tavern, and in Epcot we are split between Rose and Crown and Morocco. I'm thinking we should be OK for the most part. Especially after calling and being assured they would not turn us away because of the 8 month old. DBIL said he'd sit her on his lap if he has too. LOL.

Thanks for the reassurance everyone. Makes me feel better about the situation.

ThanxForNoticin
08-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Sounds like an awesome family trip. Hope you can relax and enjoy it after all this planning is completed!!

miltimo5
08-14-2013, 12:28 PM
good luck.... in my opinion...with a group that big i dont think one more person will matter anyway

#1donaldfan
08-14-2013, 12:29 PM
I wouldn't worry at all !! We have had add on's from time to time and was never turned away from any eatery. You should be fine !!:thumbsup:

buzznwoodysmom
08-14-2013, 07:09 PM
Update: we added the person to the trip! Now everyone is all set and happy!

Kairi_7378
08-14-2013, 10:35 PM
I am amazed that you managed to book multiple ADRs for that large of a party that everyone is happy with. Can't wait to hear how the trip goes!

buzznwoodysmom
08-14-2013, 11:01 PM
I am amazed that you managed to book multiple ADRs for that large of a party that everyone is happy with. Can't wait to hear how the trip goes!

We have three "Disney veteran" families included in our party. Everyone else are first timers. The first timers told us to pick whatever we wanted. It was actually very easy to agree on places. We had a family meeting/ booking party and made all the decisions that night. When we were unable to get a couple of the places we wanted everyone agreed to just get what we could, and everyone was pleased with the outcome.

DH comes from a large family, 7 kids, so they are all used to compromising. Lol. They are a very fun loving, go with the flow, group of people. They just want to go and have fun. I expect little to no drama on this trip! Can't wait to share the magic with the rest of the family!

FriendsofMickey
08-15-2013, 08:45 AM
I would not worry at all on this. My FIL decided (one trip) to make a surprise visit last minute. We went from 4 to 5 and were already at the park. He was there for the last 4 days of our stay. We tried to change what we could, but the character meals were just an impossibility at that late date. We went into the restaraunt knowing he wasn't on it and explained that he had suprised the girls. ALL of them accomodated us. If they had not, he would have just not eaten with us and grabbed a CS.

My thought is you already had an uneven number anyway, so by adding 1 other person, it is not like you would be needing an extra table or a different table.