PDA

View Full Version : MNSSHP convince me

Mrs Bus Driver
08-11-2013, 06:57 PM
Okay, I am toying with the idea of going, "but" not sure this would be for me.
Questions
1) Do adults without children dress up?
2) I am not a spring chicken :old: would I feel out of place if I went and dressed up?
3) Will there be any intercot party meets? Would be great to go with others who are into the whole experience.
4) I am a little old for trick or treat what else is there to do?
5) Any ideas how to decorate a scooter for Halloween?:secret:

WDW&MK
08-11-2013, 07:38 PM
1) yes, adults w/o kids dress up. Most of the best costumes are adults.
2)no, I think it's evenly split those dressed up and not. Cruella made fun of us a few years ago for not dressing up.
3)??
4)You are never too old to trick or treat - especially at disney. (I go back to the hotel with a good size haul every year :blush: I feel just like a kid again :cloud9:!!) However, the parade is awesome. Be sure to get your parade spot at least 20 min prior to start of parade as the headless horseman rides about 15 min prior to parade. That is a NOT TO MISS thing!! Absolutely awesome!! Parade is also great and specific to Halloween. Fireworks are great and done to halloween theme. There is a villains show in front of the castle which is nicely done and a villains meet and greet after. Also special characters are available for pics - get in line early for this though. Snow White and all 7 dwarves are usually out for pics :mickey:

Just DH and myself ( no kids) and we love MNSSHP. I think it is very well done.

MarkC
08-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but it is very pricey for the time and what you get. If you can afford it, go. If it's going to put a real crimp into other activities on your trip (or home for that matter) I would pass. Your call. It's fun but I don't think it's worth it. However, others do. It's capitalism and everyone has different tastes.

Madame Leona
08-11-2013, 08:47 PM
I am not a fan of Halloween at all BUT I LOVE LOVE LOVE :cloud9: MNNSHP!!! I would spend every Halloween there given the option. The parade is incredible (by far the best one there) and I love the fireworks. The costumes range from none at all to extremely elabrate. I go with my kids but even if I didn't, I would still Trick or Treat :0 Also, I've found that the rides aren't terribly crowded so I've been able to hit a few favorites with no line. YES YOU SHOULD GO!!

DaisylovesDonald
08-11-2013, 08:52 PM
I think you have to be careful when you go. If you are going during the week, not too close to Halloween, I would say it is a pretty fun party. DH and I dressed up once - I found it was too hot, and I was too cranky fussing with my costume. The next time we went, we wore Halloween-ish t-shirts and I was MUCH happier! Since we do not have children, we go to the later parade and it has much less people.

I love to get photos with the characters that are not usually out - like the Seven Dwarfs -some of the lesser seen Alice in Wonderland characters too - but I also enjoyed seeing Mickey and some of the classic characters in costume. One year, Minnie was a witch, and Donald was a pirate.

I also enjoyed the trick or treating - it makes you feel like a kid again!

The fireworks, the parade, the villains show, the whole vibe of the night is fun. We have gone in September though, when it is not as crowded. I would think the closer to Halloween, if it gets super crowded, it really would not be very much fun waiting in ultra long lines everywhere.

Main Street Jim
08-11-2013, 09:55 PM
5) Any ideas how to decorate a scooter for Halloween?:secret:Main Street Electrical Parade float :)

Did this with my (now ex-) wife and I one year. Put those cheap battery-operated Christmas lights all over our kids' stroller, and ourselves, and took in our "boom box" blaring the MSEP soundtrack :)

disneylovinmom
08-11-2013, 10:41 PM
The night we went last October (The 11th, I believe), it was super crowded and we felt trapped during the parades. Trying to get from the parade to the fireworks was terrible and we got stuck behind a tree because they would not let anybody through. The parade was awesome, though. Maybe in September, when it is not as crowded, it might be worth it. In October, when there are more people there, I did not feel it was enjoyable due the large crowds. That's just me, though.

AgentC
08-12-2013, 08:25 AM
MNSSHP is the only party I would spend the extra money on. I think there is enough special events to make it worthwhile.

The parade and fireworks are both great and going to the party is the only way to see them. I do take my kids but the adults enjoy it to. :)

There are also some great meet and greets with different characters if you like meeting them.

faline
08-12-2013, 08:39 AM
This adult without children has certainly dressed up for the party. We also went trick or treating - no-one is too old to trick or treat at Disney!!

Williams5
08-12-2013, 08:56 AM
We went in 2006 when my oldest daughter was 4 and my oldest son was 2. To this day we say that was the most fun night we ever had (except for kid's births, weddings, etc. :secret:).

We went to the Christmas party in 2011 and really enjoyed it - but not as much. We are going to it this fall with 3 kids now.

I think a lot of it really depends on your family dynamic. What you gain is a smaller crowd, unique parades and atmosphere - some rarely seen characters, etc... I know for Christmas we had a family picture with all 7 dwarves at once which is neat.

If you read advice about the events online - note that you can forego getting any other passes for the day and use the MNSSHP ticket to get into Magic Kingdom sometimes as early as 4 (I'm actually tempted to see if this is true). Also, most of the stuff I read highly advises the 2nd parade as it is way less crowded.

Note, I still have young kids so my opinion is stemming from their enjoyment. I expect we'll spend 2 hours of the night at one of the dance areas where my kids dance like crazies with Chip n Dale, etc.

Kenny1113
08-12-2013, 04:41 PM
I have had fun at MNSSHP. In years past we were able to get into the park at 4pm (all 4 times) and just made this our MK day. This was a great value with lower crowds and the spooky theming (Halloween is my favorite time of year). The fireworks and parade are great! We haven't been back since the price and crowds have gone up.

I say try it once and see for yourself, unless (as previously mentioned) it will break the bank (or close to it).

Mrs Bus Driver
08-12-2013, 04:56 PM
Sounds like fun I'll have to try it at least once.:mickey: Don't know for sure when I am going this year as I am not able to make plans yet. But If I can't make the party this year then I will go next year for sure.:mickey:

lightyearfan
08-13-2013, 10:04 AM
me and dw will be going again in September, i can say as 2 adults we love this event as well as the xmas party. it's very worth it, the parade itself is worth the admission and that's done twice. we've been going back for a few years now, in the begining with our dd and now solo , the trick or treating is very fun, trying to find the spots is good cause you really have to circle the whole park, the shows are good and there is a wonderful atmosphere in the park, hope this helps

Victor:mickey:

minnie04
08-13-2013, 10:25 AM
We have gone twice. After the first time I said I would never go again, but we did and the kids loved it. It was a great way for them to feel the Halloween spirit. Back home Halloween has gotten dull no one really make a big deal about it (except me), so we choose to make Disney our Halloween trick or treat. It's great for the kids to see all the awesome costumes and all the scary decorations (Disney scary)..lol I say go and enjoy the atmosphere of the park all decorated. Plus the ride lines are a lot shorter during the party that alone is a great reason to go. We are going back this year as well. The big kids do Horror Nights and we take the younger ones to MNSSHP works out great :mickey:

Lindsey
08-13-2013, 10:59 AM
I've gone several times. The first time I went because my husband had never gone trick or treating before, (he is from China), so I thought it would be cool for him to experience it. He had a lot of fun. We did it again later when he worked for Disney, but it wasn't as much fun. I am a huge fan of Halloween, it is my favorite holiday, but I don't really care for MNSSHP. Trick or treating is fun enough, the lines are low for the rides that are open, and the fireworks are nice, but I don't think it's really worth the money. My husband and I will be in WDW while MNSSHP is happening this year, but we won't be going. I really dislike the parade, the music is very annoying. I think I have been spoiled by the Hong Kong DisneyLand Halloween, the parade is AWESOME! It is my favorite Disney parade of all time, it is extremely cool! I've gone to the HK DL Halloween 4 times, and have thoroughly enjoyed it every time. I wish I could say that about WDW MNSSHP but I can't. I do think that MNSSHP is worth experiencing at least once though. :pumpkin:

disneynarula
08-13-2013, 12:02 PM
I was a doubter but I ended up loving it. I am not a huge Halloween lover. I don't dislike it but I don't do a ton for it.

We were staying off property for a week and did not intend to go to WDW. My MIL joined us for the week and really wanted to go to Disney but we did not want to buy single day tickets since we were spending the next week there and had bought tickets as part of our package. We decided to do MNSSHP since it was something different we had never done before.

We went on October 16th last year and were pleasantly surprised. We loved the parade (we went to the later one). The rides had really short lines and the kids loved the trick or treating. We did not do any of the character meet and greets so I can't comment on that.

I did not wear a costume due to the heat. I just wore a Halloween shirt. Our kids wore parts of their costumes but it was too hot to wear the whole thing. If we go again I would probably make costumes they could wear in the Florida heat. We bought the tickets last minute and did not have time to plan.

It actually costs less than a one day ticket and they let you in at 4:00. So you really get eight hours in the park. We made sure to do all the attractions that were closed during the party as soon as we got to the park at 4. It's not that bad of a deal considering that you get to see a different parade and fireworks than usual.

disneydeb
08-13-2013, 12:07 PM
My favorite thing to do during the fall season at MK! Dress up in character so you won't miss out on any of the fun!

Main Street Jim
08-14-2013, 09:04 PM
Note that you can forego getting any other passes for the day and use *JUST* the MNSSHP ticket to get into Magic Kingdom as early as 4:00pm (I'm actually tempted to see if this is true). True :) Don't be "tempted" to find out...LOL...

Also, most of the stuff I read highly advises the 2nd parade as it is way less crowded.Also true. A LOT of party-goers will leave right after the fireworks, so you'll have choice spots open for the parade. Make sure you see the Headless Horseman make his ride, especially through Liberty Square!

08-14-2013, 11:38 PM
Even though a lot of guests leave after fireworks, the last couple of years (especially the parties in the last 3 weeks of October), the 2nd parade has been quite crowded. Used to be 1 or 2 deep along the sidewalk for 2nd parade and lately 4 & 5 deep in the HUB and along Main St..

Still better than the 1st parade but not the "walk-up and get a GREAT spot" that it used to be in years past. Best 2nd parade spots have been in the Frontierland and the west portion of Liberty Sq..

For whatever reason, even though the parade starts at Splash, people still prefer to watch the 2nd parade from the HUB & Main St. areas.

PETE FROM NYC
08-15-2013, 05:49 PM
DW and I did MNSSHP three times. First 2 trips, just us, last trip w/ her nieces family. All trips were on a Tuesday, mid-Sept. We love it. We will be doing it again 9/14.

Now a warning:
Universal Halloween Horror Nights are NOT ECV FRIENDLY. DW and I are pooh-sized, and you must switch to a manual wheel chair, and we could not find any large wheel chairs, so all of our admission fees were wasted.

joonyer
08-15-2013, 10:44 PM
MNSSHP is a lot of fun. We loved the whole atmosphere, the trick or treating, found the parade to be "killer awesome" as my 9 year old called it, and the fireworks show "Hallowishes" is hands down my favorite night-time WDW show.

All that being said, the price of admission has continued to rise, and I have a hard time justifying the large extra expense for a few hours of party fun, especially for a family of 4 (or larger). If you have never been before, it's something that should be experienced, but after three times, it's hard to pay so much more for it now.

mom2morgan
08-16-2013, 02:50 PM
I wouldn't do it again, for one simple reason - since it is a ticketed event, your are committed to a specific day. Even if there is a monsoon. Seriously - we went last September and it was POURING buckets. I can do Disney in the rain....but combine that with it being pitch dark and crowded - I literally couldn't even see where I was going. I wear glasses, and they were impossible to see through -but even without, having water streaming down your hair into your face is not conducive to comfort or visibility. Some of the rides were even closed, and the first parade was cancelled. Altogether I felt like I was enduring rather than enjoying the evening.

Goes4FastPass
08-16-2013, 04:26 PM
IF you are staying a WDW using a multi-day MYW ticket, especially if you are 'hopping', MNSSHP is an expensive parade with completely skippable other features. Even the fireworks can be viewed from outside the MK.

I 'love' discussion board posters who say, "go on spend that mony! (after all it isn't my money)

IF you will not be otherise 'on' an admission media the day you are thinking of attending MNSSHP then by all means, buy a ticket, Enter at 4:00pm, which you absolutely can do, and dress in costume and have a great time.

And I 'love' discussion board posters who EVERY YEAR say, "I was talking to Walt Disney's nephew's dry cleaner and he knows someone who said they won't let you enter at 4:00pm starting tomorrow. I WISH these people would calm down. I've see posts in the middle of the party period that said, "I entered the party at 4:01pm today." answered, "But you won't be able to tomorrow!"

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-17-2013, 12:50 AM
I went a few years ago and loved it. I trick or treated and I didn't have little kids with me. The parades, the fireworks, seeing everyone else all dressed up-kids and adults alike! And one of the funniest parts was walking down by the paddle boat and the guy who was supposed to be the one holding the lantern in the HM was pacing around. He's supposed to be standing still. I scared the pants off him because there was no one else around down there and he obviously didn't hear me coming. I yelled "ah ha! I see you moving!" He froze. Maybe you had to be there but I thought it was hysterical.
I even kind of like MNSSHP a little more than the Christmas party. I tried to plan my trip to be able to go to the Halloween party, but hopefully I'll get to the first Christmas party of the season.
I vote that you go and enjoy it.

2MuchWDFun
08-17-2013, 11:29 AM
We are two adults and love it. Our family is going the first night of our September trip!
Yes--lots of adults dress up.
Suggest wearing a lightweight costume. Between the heat and getting on and off rides, a heavy costume can be cumbersome and hot. We are flying Spirit airlines for the first time and have very limited luggage space so we are keeping our costumes very simple and lightweight!!

We're dressing up as the Mr. and Mrs. Potato head (wearing t-shirts and pre-purchased face parts that stick onto the t-shirt, but we are adding our own hats (didn't like the ones that came with the kit)--a bowler for DH and a straw hat with daisy for me. Our DS25 is coming with us and he's going as Indiana Jones w/o the leather jacket. All these outfits are lightweight and easy to pack.

Absolutely love the parade. It is our favorite parade at WDW--the grave diggers are amazing. As others have noted you should plan on being in place for the headless horseman's ride about 15-20 mins before the start of parade. We think that the view from from Liberty Square is the best.
The special fireworks are excellent, too (see those from in front of the castle).
Rides have shorter lines! It's fun trick or treating! The villian's show! Haunted Mansion! People watching! Great party atmosphere!! There's lots to enjoy!!

I think you'll have a great time!

pcoleman
08-17-2013, 01:05 PM
Went on an all girls adult trip couple of years ago. Yes we are not spring chickens and w are pooh sized. Loved it. think it is should be on everyone's to do list at least once. After that it is up to you. We did dress up. W got white t-shirts and had Mickey Mouse Club logo on front and our character names on the back. We just wore shorts with it and each of us had ears. We were comfortable and got many compliments. Yes it was hot. Loved the parade and all the villains. I agree with previous poster, just put a pack of battery operated lights on your chair. We went in September and it was empty. If you an afford it without jeopardizing anything else and have never attended then go for it. Jealous. Wish i had this dilemma right now. Have fun.:mickey: