PDA

View Full Version : Quick DVC Question..

garthbarth1
08-06-2013, 05:42 PM
HI! We have a timeshare and are thinking of selling it to buy into DVC. My main question is..can you book last minute trips for DVC? We usually decide in the summer (June or July) to go in the fall (Oct)-book our room, get a discount and are good to go. This is usually how things go because my husband and I are both business owners and can't really plan THAT far out in advance. Is this an option with DVC or can you only book out in advance..I think its 7 and 11 months?? Thanks for any info :) Also, there are only two of us, so we don't need a suite or anything like that. We usually stay at Deluxe Resorts (AK, Contemporary, Poly) if this makes a difference?

VWL Mom
08-06-2013, 05:54 PM
You would probably be able to find something available at 3-4 months out. You need to pay attention to your use year though. In the scenario you mention you'd probably be best off looking for an April or May use year. This way, you'd still have ample banking time should you decide to skip a trip.

If your looking to buy to use at the hotels, that's probably not the best use. You would need to buy through Disney as resales cannot use points in the Disney Collection.

greengeen
08-06-2013, 07:11 PM
I think you'd just be disappointed. If you're used to the Poly, Contemporary, etc., you'll start hoping to get BLT or VGF or BWV on short notice, and your chances get slim during peak times of year like summer. I always plan 11 months out. I can't imagine being satisfied with the leftovers (mainly SSR) if you plan on short notice.

VWL Mom
08-06-2013, 07:47 PM
You would always have the option of booking 11/7 months out and canceling later.

GAN
08-06-2013, 08:32 PM
I think you'd just be disappointed. If you're used to the Poly, Contemporary, etc., you'll start hoping to get BLT or VGF or BWV on short notice, and your chances get slim during peak times of year like summer. I always plan 11 months out. I can't imagine being satisfied with the leftovers (mainly SSR) if you plan on short notice.

I've stayed at every Deluxe, many Mod's, and a few Value's. SSR is a great resort -sure, it's not on the monorail but there is something to be said for getting away from the park atmosphere. The staff at SSR rival and exceed those of any Deluxe. I think every resort, regardless of class, brings something to the table. To classify SSR as leftovers is pretty misleading.

ThanxForNoticin
08-07-2013, 12:39 PM
It's actually a somewhat difficult question to answer. Depending on the time of year you look to do these trips, you are likely to have DVC availability even 2-3 months out. I'd expect that for trips outside of the heavier family times (when schools are in session), you are probably OK - and that sounds like what you are planning to do. You might not get your first or second choice of resort, but due to the number of rooms available at OKW or SSR or even AKL, you would likely be able to book a studio or 1BR, depending on your needs.

Good luck with your decision.

PlutoPlanet
08-07-2013, 12:56 PM
A colleague tried to make a last minute reservation in August and found out all on-property rooms were booked.

garthbarth1
08-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Thanks guys for the info! I appreciate it! I know there is a lot to look into when deciding, but that was my biggest question. I don't know what Im doing 7 days from now let alone 7 months lol! Wanted to see if that would make it difficult to book. And again, we do not eat or cook in our room..or do laundry. We literally just sleep and shower there and spend the rest of the time at the parks :cloud9::mickey:

Aurora
08-14-2013, 05:04 PM
We've never, ever been locked out of finding a room, even when booking at the last minute. I guess it's possible, sure, but all I can say is it hasn't happened to us. If you're booking a few months out, you should be fine, unless you want to vacation around Christmas, Easter or 4th of July.

We've waitlisted several times as well and, except for one time, have always have gotten the resort we wanted.

Lynn has good advice about the use year. Because of restrictions about banking and booking points, you'd want a use year more than four months out from when you normally vacation.