PDA

View Full Version : Gluten free kid meals

ANG
08-05-2013, 12:56 PM
One of the things I love about Disney food is the fun plated food for kid meals at sit downs. We've dined gluten free with my stepdad and he did just fine.

But this year will be the first with DS1's new restrictions. He can't have dairy or gluten. I know they can accommodate. But will it be as "fun?" I don't want him to feel left out.

Also how does GF/DF work with counter service meals for kids? While he doesn't require chicken nuggets (classic kid foods) but he won't just eat a salad.

Arielfan98
08-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Not sure if this is helpful but I recently read a post by a woman who has children with the same allergies. She went to 1900 Park Fare and the chef prepared her son special mickey waffles that were fixed to his dietary needs and her daughter soy free and gluten free waffles. This lady went to a lot of other character meals as well. I can send you the link to the article in a private message if you're interested.

garymacd
08-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Not sure if this is helpful but I recently read a post by a woman who has children with the same allergies. She went to 1900 Park Fare and the chef prepared her son special mickey waffles that were fixed to his dietary needs and her daughter soy free and gluten free waffles. This lady went to a lot of other character meals as well. I can send you the link to the article in a private message if you're interested.

We had the same treatment at Crystal Palace Breakfast for our daughter. The chef made her GF waffles and even brought them right to the table for her!

Niecyboo
08-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Different allergy but when we went to O'Hana's we requested one of the kids meals not on the main menu due to my son's Seafood allergies. The chef made his chicken Nuggets into a 3D Mickey head. My girls (who are teens and love seafood) were almost a little jealous. I think they go out of their way for kids with dietary needs because they know they have to give up so much.

disneynarula
08-08-2013, 11:53 AM
To answer your question... "will he feel left out?"the answer is NO! Kids with food allergies get the royal treatment at Disney. All my sone ever talks about when we go out to dinner is that "he wishes it were like Disney World."

We have different allergies (milk, eggs, and nuts) but have lots of experience with dining at Disney with them. I don't get on Icot very often when we don't have a trip planned but I will PM you my email if you want to ask me what places I thought were better dealing with food allergies. We don't tend to have favorites so we try new places each time we go to WDW.

At most (not all) CS places they have special menus with allergy information. If they act confused (this only happened once with us) I would walk away. Most of them have dedicated fryers without nuts or gluten. The only place that did not have a dedicated fryer that we ate at was the Backlot Express. I had to run to another place to get lunch for our son that day.

At the TS places they would always make something fantastic for our son. Make sure you call ahead as well as note it in your dining reservation.

The World Showcase TS were not as good, due to some things lost in translation.

On a side note... if your child wants chicken nuggets and you are eating at a TS place call about an hour before your reservation and let them know. They take a loooooong time.