PDA

View Full Version : Starbucks.....what a joke!

MichaelMouse
08-04-2013, 12:42 AM
Starbucks on Main street USA....what a joke!!!

I was very disappointed to actually see a Starbucks cafe end up on Main Street.

No more sticky buns, no more authentic baked items.....

Place was empty when it should be dishing out a whole lot of baked goods....

It's one thing to serve Starbucks coffee, its another to put a Starbucks outfitted cafe on main.

Keep it authentic and keep the commercial idiots off main...

Didn't you learn from the McDonald's you tried putting in frontier land..........failure!!!!!!

goofysally
08-04-2013, 08:42 AM
Partners is how the Disney corporation grows and pleases more and more guests... Just like Edy's
Ice cream, or coke product or even the lettuce in my salad! I applaud disney for this decision!

Tekneek
08-04-2013, 08:45 AM
I suppose they are saying they liked the previous operation better. No harm in that. Partnering up is good to the extent that it makes things better. Not so much when it is perceived as a step backwards.

I dislike the idea mainly because Starbucks are so prevalent. It would be nice to have an experience at WDW that I could not already have in my rural community.

Carol
08-04-2013, 09:25 AM
LOVE the one at Disneyland and sure to like the one at WDW as well. :)

Poohbear88
08-04-2013, 10:26 AM
I agree with Micheal Mouse. I wouldn't mind that they sell Starbuck's, but I still like the original set up that Walt designed!! I feel that they are going away from what Walt would of wanted. I am still upset about alcohol in Walt Disney World!! :nono:

MichaelMouse
08-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Partners like coke and edys and even Starbucks is fine. However, that is not what was done here.

Starbucks placed a full outfitted cafe in place of the Main street Bakery.

When I walk into Casey's, I feel like I'm in an authentic hot dog shop.....not a Coca-Cola factory.

When I'm in the ice cream parlor, I feel like I'm in an authentic yesteryear ice cream shop.....

When I'm now in Starbucks, I feel like I'm in any of the 10,000 locations in any big city Starbucks.

That is not the theme main street is about......

MickeysBestPal
08-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Didn't you learn from the McDonald's you tried putting in frontier land..........failure!!!!!!

The Frontierland McDonald's fry wagon was not a failure.

It didn't close due to lack of business.

Melanie
08-04-2013, 03:12 PM
LOVE the one at Disneyland and sure to like the one at WDW as well. :)

Absolutely. It's well themed and very welcomed by me.

Melanie
08-04-2013, 03:14 PM
Oh, and this is the very first report I've heard that the place was 'empty.'

TheVBs
08-04-2013, 03:54 PM
Good to hear that it's themed well! Main St. Bakery was never a regular stop for us, but we all want MS to retain it's charm. I feel bad for those who had favorites here that they won't be able to get now. You would think that WDW could have served Starbucks coffee there, but still offered the same baked items?

garthbarth1
08-04-2013, 04:03 PM
Agree with OP! If the just served Starbucks coffee, but kept the same charm of the bakery and the baked goods, that seems like a good compromise. I look out my window at work everyday and see a starbucks across the street. I do not want to see that at WDW-an escape from daily life for many of us....serve the product, but don't change the charm.

kakn7294
08-04-2013, 04:38 PM
While I like the old Main Street bakery, it was my opinion that over the past several years, it wasn't unique and original anymore - like the rest of Disney World, they slowly started serving stuff you could get anywhere. I liked the Starbucks - it was very well done and fit right in with the rest of the Main Street décor. By the way, right on the same street, Arribas brothers and Edy's ice cream sponsor stores.

Terra
08-04-2013, 05:47 PM
I love me some coffee, so I'm okay with it :) Although Starbucks is a little strong for me.
I just keep reading these threads about people not liking changes and I think there may be something wrong with me. :blush: It just doesn't bother me to see change. Heck, I'm I'm just happy to go and be there :)

BrerGnat
08-04-2013, 06:24 PM
IMO, the Main Street Bakery stopped being "good" about 10 years ago, so I couldn't care less that it's now a Starbucks. Haven't bought anything at that location in many years and that trend will continue since I no longer drink coffee.

texas211
08-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Partners like coke and edys and even Starbucks is fine. However, that is not what was done here.

When I walk into Casey's, I feel like I'm in an authentic hot dog shop.....not a Coca-Cola factory.

When I'm in the ice cream parlor, I feel like I'm in an authentic yesteryear ice cream shop.....

When I'm now in Starbucks, I feel like I'm in any of the 10,000 locations in any big city Starbucks.

Amen. But so many these days don't care about theme, or atmosphere. They must have wifi, starbucks, and be entertained every second by something. I'm not that old, but I remember when you stood in line with no distractions/entertainment, had to wait in line without the option of cutting, and all food was mostly generic fare. I do miss when the candy and stuff was made there, not just some packaged junk, etc. Something special.

Opus X
08-04-2013, 08:06 PM
Completely disagree with the OP
Starbucks...we love it at WDW. Used it everyday.

Altair
08-04-2013, 08:12 PM
I thought Main Street was themed to the turn of the 20th century. :(

Eric87
08-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Was the bakery even sending out fresh baked items before it closed? I remember eating a pastry there and it was definitely not fresh, and that turned me off from any future visits. I'll be there in November and I am looking forward to the new addition even though I am not a Starbucks consumer. Also, wasn't the original main street occupied by a few different 3rd party companies?

Polynesian Dweller
08-04-2013, 08:50 PM
I agree with Micheal Mouse. I wouldn't mind that they sell Starbuck's, but I still like the original set up that Walt designed!! I feel that they are going away from what Walt would of wanted. I am still upset about alcohol in Walt Disney World!! :nono:

This leaves us with a couple if possibilities. Either Walt designed it to be a Sara Lee's (the first sponsor) or Walt had no hand in the original design. He died before MK was designed.

If we go back to what Walt did design, DLs Main Street, then we still have a problem. Walt had all kinds of partnerships and sponsors from day one at DL. They were a part of his business plan. The only thing he insisted on, and the company still does, is that they theming fits the area. And it does.

The bakery has been sponsored in the past and will be in the future. This issue has been to death and then pulverized. Time for everyone to let it go cause Walt's own behavior says he'd have sponsors, and Starbucks is there and will be for some time.

Polynesian Dweller
08-04-2013, 08:54 PM
I thought Main Street was themed to the turn of the 20th century. :(

Only sort of. It's an amalgamation of many main streets and has always had sponsors who aren't necessarily from that era. But even so, the Bakery has maintained a period facade and the CMs wear period costume. Nothing changed there.

Jodi
08-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Well, we will be able to get our opinion in pretty soon! Two weeks from tomorrow, we will take a peak at Starbucks on Main Street. So looking forward to our long awaited vacation! :thumbsup:

thejens
08-05-2013, 01:38 AM
What made WDW unique was the attention to detail, the unique theming, the ability to take you away from ordinary world. It is becoming homogenized. Each resort used to have their own unique, signature items. This is less and less the case. Each land or attraction had its own merchandise, now it seems that every shop is the more and more similar and even carries stuff you can find at the mall or Walmart. Now McDonalds and Starbucks. Maybe others will continue to come, but for me WDW is not about the rides, it is about the incredibly detailed, unique and magical experience. I can go to the mall anytime for free.

I am actually looking forward to butterbeer and Olivander's wands this trip. I have heard that Universal does not compare to WDW, but it seems that some exciting attention to detail, special theming, and unique dining and merchandising is happening there. Perhaps the competitors will seize upon this opportunity?

MNNHFLTX
08-05-2013, 09:15 AM
Agree with OP! If the just served Starbucks coffee, but kept the same charm of the bakery and the baked goods, that seems like a good compromise. I look out my window at work everyday and see a starbucks across the street. I do not want to see that at WDW-an escape from daily life for many of us....serve the product, but don't change the charm.
That more or less sums up my feelings. I don't mind it being a Starbucks (although I rarely frequent that chain, the coffee is good), but I would not want the the one at WDW to look like every other be of the gazillion Starbucks across the country. It's my understanding they've maintained the theme of the old bakery, even if the products have changed.

Donald Duck
08-05-2013, 09:26 AM

Couldn't agree more.

One of the best things about going to DisneyWorld was not seeing stores likes McDonalds and Starbucks anywhere.

Sponsoring a store is one thing, taking it over is another. They should have just served Starbucks coffe and kept the Main Street Bakery as it was. It was refurbished not to long ago, it didn't need to be overhauled.

I heard a rumor that Cinderella's Castle is soon going to be called Cinderella's by Marriott.

:mickey:

lightyearfan
08-05-2013, 10:28 AM
i don't drink Starbucks at home and i won't have a drop of it in WDW. this was a horrible decision when they announced it! Main Street Bakery is one of those staples of WDW, me and dw would start off every Magic Kingdom visit stopping at the bakery enjoying those huge sticky buns and other nice danish that they offered, looking at some photos it looks like ur typical cupcake and whatever else Starbucks offers. I know business is business but please don't tell me that Disney did this because they're losing money. Please they did 3.1 BILLION in revenue ummm i don't think that theyre hurting do you?? Well looks like me and dw will have to by pass Main Street Starbucks and goto Gaston's for a nice bun

HORRIBLE

VIctor:mickey:

Melanie
08-05-2013, 10:32 AM
I am actually looking forward to butterbeer and Olivander's wands this trip. I have heard that Universal does not compare to WDW, but it seems that some exciting attention to detail, special theming, and unique dining and merchandising is happening there. Perhaps the competitors will seize upon this opportunity?

And as I've said before on this, don't be surprised when you go to Universal and see a huge, regular Starbucks (not themed or blended in, like WDW) in the park. If it remains, it will be right across from the new Harry Potter addition.

Tekneek
08-05-2013, 11:36 AM
And as I've said before on this, don't be surprised when you go to Universal and see a huge, regular Starbucks (not themed or blended in, like WDW) in the park. If it remains, it will be right across from the new Harry Potter addition.

I suppose it is all about expectations going in. A lot of people seem to expect more from Disney and are disappointed when it is perceived to come up short. They tend to have lower expectations for Universal, it seems, so they get credit for exceeding those.

At least that is my perception of the marketplace. :)

Dulcee
08-05-2013, 12:01 PM
that trend will continue since I no longer drink coffee.
:jaw: No coffee??!!

Now I'll continue reading through these responses with my grande starbucks safely in hand.
:mcoffee:

big blue and hairy
08-05-2013, 01:12 PM
The look of the bakery fits in with the rest of Main St. I will let you know my opinion of the treats after our October trip. As far as coffee, this is the best thing to happen to WDW since it opened. Relax, and enjoy a cup. :coffee:

:sulley:

tjstrike
08-06-2013, 04:38 AM
As long as they put a frappacino on the DP snack list I'll be happy !! :D

big blue and hairy
08-06-2013, 09:23 AM
A couple of observations....one, I just went back and re-watched a video of the new Main Street bakery. It does not look like a typical Starbucks. Two, I don't hear anyone losing their mind over the Twinings Tea shop in the United Kingdom pavillion. How is that different, other than the fact that more people know the name Starbucks thanTwinings?

Really, is this worth all the nashing of teeth?

Donald Duck
08-06-2013, 10:30 AM
A couple of observations....one, I just went back and re-watched a video of the new Main Street bakery. It does not look like a typical Starbucks. Two, I don't hear anyone losing their mind over the Twinings Tea shop in the United Kingdom pavillion. How is that different, other than the fact that more people know the name Starbucks thanTwinings?

I don't think the décor of the bakery is in question. It's the fact that an outside company took over a shop on Main Street.
Nobody cares if they sell Starbucks coffee in the MK, some of us just don't want Starbucks stores (or any other company) in the MK.

EPCOT is supposed to have authentic shops (food, clothes, souveniers...) from their native countries.

Comparing a Tea shop in EPCOT to a Main Street icon is comparing apples to oranges.

TikiLounger
08-06-2013, 10:37 AM
Two, I don't hear anyone losing their mind over the Twinings Tea shop in the United Kingdom pavillion. How is that different, other than the fact that more people know the name Starbucks thanTwinings?

Ok. I was going to put my two cents into the conversation but, after reading this I thought, "Uh...nevermind...this is absolutely a great point." So? the wind has been taken out of my sails. But...I will say that I'm not a fan of Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Peet's, or ANY big chain coffee shops and I'm a little upset about having to see one on Main St. I think the coffee is terrible at these places. I split my time between a resort area of MA and Boston and I can say that there's a BIG backlash against these huge companies and what passes for "gourmet coffee" on their menu. I find that now, most people I know prefer to frequent the small, independent cafes and coffee shops. Many roast their own beans, or buy from local roasters, and the quality is exceptional. Anyway, I digress. I guess my point is that I can't pick and choose what I complain about when it comes to Disney. If I'm going to be upset about changes to the Disney World I know and love, or the types of products they choose to serve, then I have to be upset about ALL of them, not just the ones I, personally, don't like.

BrerGnat
08-06-2013, 04:45 PM
:jaw: No coffee??!!

Now I'll continue reading through these responses with my grande starbucks safely in hand.
:mcoffee:

Yeah, I know. I really had to give it up due to health issues that were being aggravated by coffee. Now that I've stopped drinking, I do feel a LOT better. I just enjoy the smell now.

mickclub1955
08-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Walt Disney always had outside sponsors for shops on Main Street from the beginning at Disneyland. How is this any different. It was sponsored by Nestle Toll House before. It wasn't sponsored by Walt Disney World. Nestle must have decided to end their contract so Starbucks started theirs. This too will change when Starbucks decides to end their contract. It's hard for me to believe that everyone on here who loves Disney so much blames Disney when a contract ends and they find someone else to open up a contract with. If it wasn't for Starbucks the Bakery may have closed until a sponsor was found.

big blue and hairy
08-06-2013, 06:43 PM
I don't think the décor of the bakery is in question. It's the fact that an outside company took over a shop on Main Street.
Nobody cares if they sell Starbucks coffee in the MK, some of us just don't want Starbucks stores (or any other company) in the MK.

EPCOT is supposed to have authentic shops (food, clothes, souveniers...) from their native countries.

Comparing a Tea shop in EPCOT to a Main Street icon is comparing apples to oranges.

From what I understand, Main Street Bakery is staffed by DISNEY employees. That seems to NOT make it a Starbucks store.

Hmmmm....Twinings is ok because it is authentic British according to you. Starbucks isn't authentic American? Before anyone rails about Starbucks not being of the time period, I'm quite certain England of the time period didn't have k-cups!

Why is comparing authentic time period to authentic time period apples and oranges? It's not. For some reason Starbucks raises ire that noone else seems to.

Like I said, relax, and enjoy a better cup of coffee than you've ever had on Main Street, USA.

MNNHFLTX
08-06-2013, 06:57 PM
A couple of observations....one, I just went back and re-watched a video of the new Main Street bakery. It does not look like a typical Starbucks. Two, I don't hear anyone losing their mind over the Twinings Tea shop in the United Kingdom pavillion. How is that different, other than the fact that more people know the name Starbucks thanTwinings?Well, they don't actually serve tea at the Twinings shop, just the supplies to make tea. But yes, I get the jist of what you are saying. ;)

gueli
08-07-2013, 07:01 AM
What made WDW unique was the attention to detail, the unique theming, the ability to take you away from ordinary world. It is becoming homogenized. Each resort used to have their own unique, signature items. This is less and less the case. Each land or attraction had its own merchandise, now it seems that every shop is the more and more similar and even carries stuff you can find at the mall or Walmart. Now McDonalds and Starbucks. Maybe others will continue to come, but for me WDW is not about the rides, it is about the incredibly detailed, unique and magical experience. I can go to the mall anytime for free.

I agree with you on the originality, and uniqueness of the places.
I am an Ice cream snob, unfortunately. When I was younger, I worked at a place that made their own ice cream. It seems to me that nothing compares to that experience so eddy's is rather boring.

As to Starbucks, and modern amenities like Wi-Fi ...why shouldn't they be there, even on main st. The theming looks ok, and some of us like the coffee...

And if you don't like it, just keep walking, find another shop and enjoy that.:thumbsup:

PopPhan
08-07-2013, 09:08 AM
Walt Disney always had outside sponsors for shops on Main Street from the beginning at Disneyland. How is this any different. It was sponsored by Nestle Toll House before. It wasn't sponsored by Walt Disney World. Nestle must have decided to end their contract so Starbucks started theirs. This too will change when Starbucks decides to end their contract. It's hard for me to believe that everyone on here who loves Disney so much blames Disney when a contract ends and they find someone else to open up a contract with. If it wasn't for Starbucks the Bakery may have closed until a sponsor was found.

Thank you for this breath of fresh air into what should really be a non-issue.

Look at the number of pavilions that have closed due to lack of sponsorship (Can anyone say Wonders of Life as a prime example?)

Starbucks did not change the exterior facade of Main Street USA in any major way. I have not been inside the shop, but I would think that it has not changed significantly either - as far as period design and architecture. GM, on the other hand, completely changed the outside and inside of their pavilion when they initially designed and built Test Track.

I get the fact that there are some people who despise Starbucks (for whatever reason)....I feel the same way about Apple and Apple products....and I would have preferred Seattle's Best or Joffrey's coffees to be served at WDW, but I will take what I can get. It's better, by far, than the Nescafe that had been sold in the parks and resorts for years.

Most, if not all, of the pastries and other goodies that had been sold at the MSB are still available, but just at other locations inside the park. AND this could actually alleviate some of the crowds around the MSB shortly after park opening by getting people to head for Gaston's (and deeper into the park) for their morning treats.

Donald Duck
08-07-2013, 09:30 AM
From what I understand, Main Street Bakery is staffed by DISNEY employees. That seems to NOT make it a Starbucks store.

Hmmmm....Twinings is ok because it is authentic British according to you. Starbucks isn't authentic American? Before anyone rails about Starbucks not being of the time period, I'm quite certain England of the time period didn't have k-cups!

Why is comparing authentic time period to authentic time period apples and oranges? It's not. For some reason Starbucks raises ire that noone else seems to.

Like I said, relax, and enjoy a better cup of coffee than you've ever had on Main Street, USA.

So I guess you would be ok with:

The Chapeau becoming Lids
The Confectionary becoming Dlyans Candy Shop
Main Street Atheltic Club becoming Sports Authority
Disney Clothiers becoming Macys
Main Street Cinema becoming UA Regal
Harmony Barber Shop becoming Supercuts
Cassie's Corner becoming Nathan's
Plaza Ice Cream Parlor becoming Friendly's

Be careful what you wish for.

Terra
08-07-2013, 09:39 AM

Agree! And I can't wait to check it out.
In addition to your great insight about Twinings. It's pretty Americanized anymore. You can buy it at any grocery store around here. So really, it's not different than a Starbucks IMO.

Meh, wouldn't bother me. Honestly, when I walk down mainstreet, I have to admit I never really notice the written signs. But rather the beautiful facades and architecture.
And I know this won't be popular, but I don't really care what name is on the outside as long as they continue to sell the fun Disney stuff inside that my kiddos and I love.

JerseyDad
08-07-2013, 09:54 AM
.....although I think Starbucks is probably one of the most creative marketers of a product that is actually ...'not good' (their coffee is over roasted ...a.k.a. ...burnt ), as long as I don't have to know what's in the building via a facade change, I'll tolerate it being there.

.....way I see it ....if people want to stand on long lines and pay even more inflated prices (due to the WDW factor) for products that take WAY to long to prepare ....I'm okay with it ...because while the crowd is in there ....they won't be on line at the attractions that I want to be at.

....though ...I'm curious .....will they have the product in those Starbucks status symbol cups ...or in a WDW themed / logo cup?

....I have been in many coffee / bakery shoppes that sell Starbucks coffee as the primary hot beverage, as well as the little cans of prepared espresso and the counter-top candies, etc they market ...and the interiors were never changes to their corporate decor` ....with the only sign of the product brand being a few logo's on the urns and menu boards.

Terra
08-07-2013, 10:36 AM
.....although I think Starbucks is probably one of the most creative marketers of a product that is actually ...'not good' (their coffee is over roasted ...a.k.a. ...burnt ), as long as I don't have to know what's in the building via a facade change, I'll tolerate it being there.

.....way I see it ....if people want to stand on long lines and pay even more inflated prices (due to the WDW factor) for products that take WAY to long to prepare ....I'm okay with it ...because while the crowd is in there ....they won't be on line at the attractions that I want to be at.

....though ...I'm curious .....will they have the product in those Starbucks status symbol cups ...or in a WDW themed / logo cup?

....I have been in many coffee / bakery shoppes that sell Starbucks coffee as the primary hot beverage, as well as the little cans of prepared espresso and the counter-top candies, etc they market ...and the interiors were never changes to their corporate decor` ....with the only sign of the product brand being a few logo's on the urns and menu boards.
Good questions. Maybe I'll jaunt up there in a couple of weeks to see :)
I agree about the burnt taste! Their coffee is my least favorite part. I do like their frozen drinks.

DonaldDuckUSA
08-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Meh, wouldn't bother me. Honestly, when I walk down mainstreet, I have to admit I never really notice the written signs. But rather the beautiful facades and architecture.
And I know this won't be popular, but I don't really care what name is on the outside as long as they continue to sell the fun Disney stuff inside that my kiddos and I love.

I'm glad you posted this. Ive been going to Disney ever since I was a kid and I don't think I've ever been inside that bakery.

Don't get me wrong, Main Street has always been charming, old-timey, and captivating, but until somewhat recently (five or so years), I've never actually DONE anything on Main Street. My father used to drag me by the hand down it as quickly as possible so we could start riding the Mountains!

I totally understand how its sad for some people, but as long as it continues to look pretty and Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, and Big Thunder still roar, I think my family will be okay.

I guess the message is that Disney really does have appeal for so many different reasons. It ***** that you some people can't have their favorite bakery, but maybe there is another good cinnamon shop place in The World? I'd be sad if Casey's closed (CHILI CHEESE DOG!!!), but there are plenty of chain hot dog stores I like too. I'd just have to make do. :-)

Terra, Thanks for posting.

big blue and hairy
08-07-2013, 05:10 PM

Ummmmm....as far as I can read, the Main Street Bakery has become, well....look at that....the Main Street Bakery, staffed by Disney employees. What's your point. I did get what I wished for, rid of that dreck Nescafe calls coffee. I'm happy with the change.

big blue and hairy
08-07-2013, 05:13 PM
...I'm curious .....will they have the product in those Starbucks status symbol cups ...or in a WDW themed / logo cup?

One side Starbucks, the other side Disney Parks.

Terra
08-07-2013, 05:27 PM
I'm glad you posted this. Ive been going to Disney ever since I was a kid and I don't think I've ever been inside that bakery.

Don't get me wrong, Main Street has always been charming, old-timey, and captivating, but until somewhat recently (five or so years), I've never actually DONE anything on Main Street. My father used to drag me by the hand down it as quickly as possible so we could start riding the Mountains!

I totally understand how its sad for some people, but as long as it continues to look pretty and Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, and Big Thunder still roar, I think my family will be okay.

I guess the message is that Disney really does have appeal for so many different reasons. It ***** that you some people can't have their favorite bakery, but maybe there is another good cinnamon shop place in The World? I'd be sad if Casey's closed (CHILI CHEESE DOG!!!), but there are plenty of chain hot dog stores I like too. I'd just have to make do. :-)

Terra, Thanks for posting.

You're welcome. Yeah, honestly unless we are aiming to buy something we rarely stop in the shops there. We generally shop/eat back into the park. Like BoG ;)

Donald Duck
08-07-2013, 07:08 PM
One side Starbucks, the other side Disney Parks.

Wait... I thought it wasn't a Starbucks ?

Donald Duck
08-07-2013, 07:10 PM
Ummmmm....as far as I can read, the Main Street Bakery has become, well....look at that....the Main Street Bakery, staffed by Disney employees. What's your point. I did get what I wished for, rid of that dreck Nescafe calls coffee. I'm happy with the change.

I guess some people are easily fooled.

big blue and hairy
08-07-2013, 07:24 PM
Wait... I thought it wasn't a Starbucks ?It's not a Starbucks, it is however Starbucks coffee. It is a Disney run bakery that sells Starbucks products. How many times have you gone to a Starbucks store and found another logo on the cup?

I guess some people are easily fooled.
Uhh, no, but I can read the facts and I don't find every change in WDW a bad one. What are you basing your speculation on?

joanna71985
08-08-2013, 06:46 PM
It doesn't bother me. In fact, I love it there (I love Starbuck's coffee)

BIGDOG
08-08-2013, 09:05 PM
One of my only complaints with Disney used to be the horrific coffee they served; over time there are many new ones. I would always bring my own STARBUCKS and make coffee in my resort room. Having Starbucks in the parks I think is great. I wish they would change over to Starbucks throughout the entire WDW, resorts and all parks. STARBUCKS Ice coffee in the Florida heat will be awesome.

BUT ... No more sticky over sized Cinnamon buns!!! That’s like a Zombie apocalypse with no Twinkies.
How can I possibly pack cinnamon buns in my luggage without making a mess?

Oh.. and one quick question one of the posters in this thread mentioned being upset about alcohol being served in the Magic Kingdom. Might I ask where?

MrPeetrie
08-09-2013, 07:32 AM
I will miss my Apple Charlottes, but having Starbucks Verona Blend to start out my Magic Kingdom morning will more than make up for it.

When it comes to Walt Disney World, I am (stubbornly) resistant to change, even if it's an improvement. But in this case -- especially when you consider how hard it was to find a good cup of coffee on property -- I'm excited about it. I have faith the imagineers will make the implementation without having it look out of place. I'm ready for a cup of Joe.

MNNHFLTX
08-09-2013, 09:28 AM
Oh.. and one quick question one of the posters in this thread mentioned being upset about alcohol being served in the Magic Kingdom. Might I ask where?
At the Be Our Guest restaurant in the New Fantasyland, they have some wine and beer selections on the menu.

lightyearfan
08-09-2013, 10:08 AM
wow is Starbucks the end all of coffee? i myself feel Dunkin Dounuts is much better, but really i don't plan my trip to WDW thinking about coffee, i think the argument here is the fact that Starbucks came in and allot of Disney favorite treats are gone. I also believe that WDW shouldn't start to bring in other outside entities, whats next lets replace Pizza Planet and put in Pizza Hut? Disney is 2nd to none when it comes to anything, they don't need to start having outside companies coming in, you wanna keep them outside the parks b4 you come in that's 1 thing, allot of the complaints here is that we don't want to see it inside. (IMHO)

Victor:mickey:

Patricia
08-09-2013, 10:29 AM
The yummy "Cinnamon Buns" can still be found at Gaston's Tavern. I don't like Starbucks brewed coffee, but I do love an iced latte.

I grew up in California and (because we lived close) was a frequent Disneylander.. One of my favourite things to do as a kid (in the late 60's early 70's) was eat At the Carnation Ice Cream Parlor (opened in 1955). When nestle acquired Carnation they phased out the ice cream, but Disney was allowed to use the Carnation name and the outside area became Carnation Cafe. There was more shuffling around with Blue Ribbon Bakery (hosted by Nestle) and the addition of Gibson Girl Ice Cream (also Nestle) and in 2012 we are back with Carnation Cafe reacquiring the interior space. Sponsorship and hosting of attractions and shops is nothing new to Disney theme parks and was started by Walt himself.

PopPhan
08-09-2013, 10:46 AM
wow is Starbucks the end all of coffee? i myself feel Dunkin Dounuts is much better, but really i don't plan my trip to WDW thinking about coffee, i think the argument here is the fact that Starbucks came in and allot of Disney favorite treats are gone. I also believe that WDW shouldn't start to bring in other outside entities, whats next lets replace Pizza Planet and put in Pizza Hut? Disney is 2nd to none when it comes to anything, they don't need to start having outside companies coming in, you wanna keep them outside the parks b4 you come in that's 1 thing, allot of the complaints here is that we don't want to see it inside. (IMHO)

Actually, Disney has had outside companies in the parks since Day One! Most of the attractions and shops have had sponsors since the very beginning. It is only, relatively, recently that sponsors have dropped out and Disney has had to pick up the expense of those attractions/shops or close them down (i.e. Wonders of Life pavilion)

Sponsor contracts only last so long and are then either re-upped or replaced by another sponsor (if they can find one.) If it wasn't for these sponsors, there would be many fewer attractions and the ticket costs would skyrocket (yes, even more than they have over the past few years!)

lightyearfan
08-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Actually, Disney has had outside companies in the parks since Day One! Most of the attractions and shops have had sponsors since the very beginning. It is only, relatively, recently that sponsors have dropped out and Disney has had to pick up the expense of those attractions/shops or close them down (i.e. Wonders of Life pavilion)

Sponsor contracts only last so long and are then either re-upped or replaced by another sponsor (if they can find one.) If it wasn't for these sponsors, there would be many fewer attractions and the ticket costs would skyrocket (yes, even more than they have over the past few years!)

i know all about the sponserships, when we go to lets say Fantasmic sponsered by Kodak(example) you dont walk into a Kodak store do u, and please don't start the discussion of Disney picking up the expense they did 3.1 Billion in Revs recently i don't want to hear how Disney Corp is bleeding money now.

PopPhan
08-09-2013, 12:54 PM
i know all about the sponserships, when we go to lets say Fantasmic sponsered by Kodak(example) you dont walk into a Kodak store do u, and please don't start the discussion of Disney picking up the expense they did 3.1 Billion in Revs recently i don't want to hear how Disney Corp is bleeding money now.

No need to get testy about it, I was replying to the statement in the message I quoted. My point was, that there has always been "outside" companies promoting their wares in the parks.

As far as your analogy about Fantasmic goes, you could also say that you walk out of Test Track right into a GM store....BTW - All those park maps that, until this year, when the contract ran out, had KODAK all over them...and the KODAK Picture Spots all over the parks....and their placards on the outside of the shops imploring you to buy their film....For the most part, we gloss over them because we are so used to seeing them. It will be the same way with Starbucks, or any other corporate sponsor who steps in to fund a shop or attraction.

Sure, $3.1B in revenue, but that is NOT just parks. There are many other part of the company that need/expect that money. I wholeheartedly agree that they could, and should, put more of the corporate revenues into the parks, but again, which parks? WDW, DL, DLP, TDS, SD (Shanghai Disneyland,) etc. A lot of money has been spent on WDW recently with the FLE, and California Adventure just has a boatload spent on it for CarsLand. AvatarLand is coming up in AK and there are rumors of big projects in DHS, so they ARE spending quite a bit of those revenues on the parks.

lightyearfan
08-09-2013, 03:22 PM
No need to get testy about it, I was replying to the statement in the message I quoted. My point was, that there has always been "outside" companies promoting their wares in the parks.

ok 1st off i didn't mean to sound testy. 2nd is that i don't have to like it. i get coming out of test track that your walking into a store that pretty much is like a GM Store, but they're not removing any products like Starbucks did and put in there own usaul brand of goodies, your gonna tell me that there cupcake is better than the sticky bun, or the crumb cake that they USE to have? i don't think so. I know i know i can goto Gaston's and get a sticky bun, but that's not my point here. again opinions everyone has 1,, im done discussing this topic, when me and dw go back in September guess where were not stopping?? hmmmm

Victor

Melanie
08-09-2013, 03:44 PM
And that's why it's so wonderful there are SO many options at WDW to choose snacks, treats, beverages, etc. Lots of folks like Starbucks products, and lots of folks don't. Can't please them all!

Sure glad I like Coke, because there isn't a Pepsi product to be found on site. But sure wish I could get Breyer's ice cream on property, as opposed to Edy's. And, well, you get the picture. ;)

joanna71985
08-09-2013, 06:29 PM
One of my only complaints with Disney used to be the horrific coffee they served; over time there are many new ones. I would always bring my own STARBUCKS and make coffee in my resort room. Having Starbucks in the parks I think is great. I wish they would change over to Starbucks throughout the entire WDW, resorts and all parks. STARBUCKS Ice coffee in the Florida heat will be awesome.

That's the plan. Epcot is due up next

Melanie
08-09-2013, 08:22 PM
That's the plan. Epcot is due up next

Well, there are plans for a Starbucks location in each park, but the coffee served elsewhere throughout the resort is now Joffrey's.

MNNHFLTX
08-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Sure glad I like Coke, because there isn't a Pepsi product to be found on site. But sure wish I could get Breyer's ice cream on property, as opposed to Edy's. And, well, you get the picture. ;)And see, I think they ought to give Bluebell Ice Cream the option to be a sponsor. ;)

Scrappy2
08-10-2013, 10:35 AM
I have not been since it opened. It was scheduled to open a couple weeks after our last trip. I have always liked the bakery but it was not a must for me. Now the idea of getting my favorite cup of coffee in the morning to get me going or a cold frappe drink on a hot day sounds great!

Melanie
08-10-2013, 10:40 AM
And see, I think they ought to give Bluebell Ice Cream the option to be a sponsor. ;)

Yes, that would make all the Texas folk happy, but what about those from Illinois? ;)

Terra
08-10-2013, 01:01 PM
And see, I think they ought to give Bluebell Ice Cream the option to be a sponsor. ;)

Not a bad choice...but Ben & Jerry's, would be ev even better!:blush:

Donald Duck
08-10-2013, 01:17 PM

Agree 100%

MNNHFLTX
08-10-2013, 02:29 PM
Yes, that would make all the Texas folk happy, but what about those from Illinois? ;)If Illinoisans tried Bluebell Ice Cream they would see it's superior to Breyers. ;)

Sorry--:offtopic:

Anyway, time will tell whether or not the addition of Starbucks coffee on Main Street will be good or bad for business. My guess it will be the latter. :)

joonyer
08-10-2013, 08:15 PM
. . . . Anyway, time will tell whether or not the addition of Starbucks coffee on Main Street will be good or bad for business. My guess it will be the latter. :)

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on this prediction. The Main Street Bakery "purists" who don't like this change are a small minority of Disney guests, and just like at lot of issues about change at WDW, they are much more likely to be complaining about it on internet boards like this one. So I think the negative comments we read online are probably not accurately representative of the overall guest response to the new Starbucks version of the Main Street Bakery.

I'm no fan of Starbucks, but in all my years of visiting WDW, I set foot in the bakery only one time, and didn't buy anything then. So, I don't really care one way or the other. But Starbucks is immensely popular, and I predict that the Main Street version will be constantly crowded. And most of the guests patronizing the place will probably not bother to post on internet forums about it. Maybe I'll be wrong; like you said, time will tell.

MNNHFLTX
08-10-2013, 08:27 PM
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on this prediction. The Main Street Bakery "purists" who don't like this change are a small minority of Disney guests, and just like at lot of issues about change at WDW, they are much more likely to be complaining about it on internet boards like this one. So I think the negative comments we read online are probably not accurately representative of the overall guest response to the new Starbucks version of the Main Street Bakery.

I'm no fan of Starbucks, but in all my years of visiting WDW, I set foot in the bakery only one time, and didn't buy anything then. So, I don't really care one way or the other. But Starbucks is immensely popular, and I predict that the Main Street version will be constantly crowded. And most of the guests patronizing the place will probably not bother to post on internet forums about it. Maybe I'll be wrong; like you said, time will tell.Oh my goodness, that was a error--I meant to say the former. :shake:

I totally agree with you; I think that business will be quite brisk at the "new, improved" Main Street Bakery.

joonyer
08-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Oh my goodness, that was a error--I meant to say the former. :shake:

I totally agree with you; I think that business will be quite brisk at the "new, improved" Main Street Bakery.

:thumbsup: Oh, and by the way, I love me some Bluebell! Ice cream is my weakness.

Aurora
08-11-2013, 12:55 AM
Yes, that would make all the Texas folk happy, but what about those from Illinois? ;)

Some of us Illinoisans are partial to Whitey's. :bar:

miltimo5
08-12-2013, 12:30 PM
IMHO i think starbucks takes away from the theme of main street .... i dont drink coffee anyway, so if they sell it in the restaurants, even at the resorts i wouldnt care...just not looking forward to seeing a starbucks sign on main street....

#1donaldfan
08-12-2013, 01:52 PM
Starbucks on Mainstreet is a great idea !! We just returned and it was a very busy place, plus a large is a SNACK CREDIT !!! Every main street should have one, so why not Disney !! It fit right in, and nothing seemed out of place from the sign to the interior !! :mickey: