PDA

View Full Version : New Fanatasyland not so Fantastic

MichaelMouse
08-04-2013, 12:36 AM
Was in WDW last week and the NEW Fantasyland was a HUGE disappointment. It has been overhyped for the last few years and for what???

One new ride (Ariel's underwater adventure), another eatery (gastons), and another useless gift shop dedicated to Belle.

All in all it a lot of fluf. Wasted land except when the new mine roller coaster opens.

They used way too much land for a "no frills" ariel ride..Everytime we tried to get on Ariel's ride, there was no wait or it was closed for malfunctions. It took a half hour just to get to the **** ride. I think the imagineers expected this one to be a hit......NOT!!!!! With all the zig zags to the actual ride.

Not another story with Ariel or meet and greet designated area......

Imagineers.....use your imagination!!!!!

:down::down::down::down::down:

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
08-04-2013, 03:06 AM
I totally agree on the Ariel ride. It could have been a show stopper, but it is just another ho hum dark ride. We ate at both Gaston's and Be Our Guest. Both were very good, so no complaints there.

chefmickey3
08-04-2013, 07:19 AM
I disagree. We loved New Fantasyland. We saw it in preview phase in October and then again two weeks ago. I thought LM was very well done and Enchanted Tales with Belle was amazing and brought me to tears. Eating at Be Our Guest was by far the best dining experience on Disney property. I completely forgot where I was for an hour. I like where Storybook Circus located. The mine ride will be icing on the cake. I just wish it were open now.

Tekneek
08-04-2013, 08:41 AM
They chose to go with a classic dark ride made with all the advanced modern technology. I wished they had done more with it than they did, but I understand what they were going for.

Carol
08-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Love it so far. The theming is fantastic. You also have to remember it's not finished. :mickey:

Pirate Granny
08-04-2013, 10:14 AM
I agree about the ride. I expected to be blown away, and it was just so,so. They copies the plans identically fromDL and I felt they could've improved on some things. Oh yea, the meet and greet Ariel is top notch....

lindique
08-04-2013, 11:50 AM
The Disneyland version is pretty identical, except that it doesn't have the elaborate queue. And it was always a walk-on when I was there.

MichaelMouse
08-04-2013, 12:30 PM
The ride itself wasn't that bad but the footprint is way too big.....they could've tried being more efficient with how they used the space and added another indoor ride similar to Peter pan, buzz.

I like the interactive rides like buzz. Hoping for something on that line.

I can't speak for be our guest restaurant, didn't get to go but I'm expecting it to be good.

The circus area is a plus.......

Dulcee
08-04-2013, 01:42 PM
I liked the Ariel ride, it fits with who fantasyland targets, families with young kids.

And we thought belle was fantastic!

We LOVE Disney
08-04-2013, 03:35 PM
I disagree. We loved New Fantasyland. We saw it in preview phase in October and then again two weeks ago. I thought LM was very well done and Enchanted Tales with Belle was amazing and brought me to tears. Eating at Be Our Guest was by far the best dining experience on Disney property. I completely forgot where I was for an hour. I like where Storybook Circus located. The mine ride will be icing on the cake. I just wish it were open now.

When is the new mine ride supposed to open? Is that the last thing to open then it will be complete?

TheVBs
08-04-2013, 03:51 PM
We only got a little sneak peek on a Nov. trip last year, but we were enchanted by it!

Opus X
08-04-2013, 04:56 PM
We LOVED the new Fantasyland....Cant wait for the Mine Ride to open!!

Terra
08-04-2013, 05:43 PM
We must not be at the same Disney World :blush:
I love the Imagineering. Just to stand and look at Belle's castle, or Ariel's Grotto. When they open the Mine attraction it will feel a lot more open as well.
My children adore the new Fantasyland. And I do as well.
Sometimes I think we look to hard and set ourselves up for disappointment instead of just enjoying the moment there.

WDWgoofy
08-04-2013, 07:40 PM
I totally agree the new Fantasyland is a complete waste.

It is so disappointing to see what Disney puts forward as new compared to Universal Studios.

lightyearfan
08-05-2013, 10:59 AM
WOW SO MUCH NEGATIVITY! i guess you can't please everyone hey?? here's an option.... you can walk right past it if it bothers you so much, go wait an 1hr to ride a 45 sec ride in Peter Pan's Flight(darkride), or another 45 to an 1hr at The Haunted Mansion(darkride), or better yet, go on It's A Small World to hear that song played over and over oh ya.

i'm obviously trying to be funny as me and dw ENJOY ALL OF WDW, like i said can't please everyone.

VIctor:mickey:

We'll be back in September oh and yes we'll be going to the New Fantasyland.

k10
08-05-2013, 11:44 AM
We must not be at the same Disney World :blush:
I love the Imagineering. Just to stand and look at Belle's castle, or Ariel's Grotto. When they open the Mine attraction it will feel a lot more open as well.
My children adore the new Fantasyland. And I do as well.
Sometimes I think we look to hard and set ourselves up for disappointment instead of just enjoying the moment there.

ditto ^

i thought the Enchanted Tales with Belle was adorable, I like the Ariel ride for it's songs and life like models. I like sitting in the dark taking a ride through one of the great movies. i cannot wait for the Seven Dwarves rollercoaster!!! and that will open up the walkway from NF to Storybook Circus, which I adore.

while most of Magic Kingdom is really for the youngsters, i find i really enjoy it.

Dulcee
08-05-2013, 11:56 AM

It is so disappointing to see what Disney puts forward as new compared to Universal Studios.

Its hard to compare the two when they appeal to totally different demographics. New Fantasyland made no qualms about admitting its targeting young kids, families and those who really enjoy the "charm" of classic disney theme parks. I'd say they hit that head on.

Universal's new rides have all been targeted at the thrill ride seeker. While its great for older kids and families who enjoy thrill rides my nephews (3 & 11 and scared of large or intense rides) could find very little to get excited about there.

azcavalier
08-05-2013, 12:47 PM
Its hard to compare the two when they appeal to totally different demographics. New Fantasyland made no qualms about admitting its targeting young kids, families and those who really enjoy the "charm" of classic disney theme parks. I'd say they hit that head on.

Universal's new rides have all been targeted at the thrill ride seeker. While its great for older kids and families who enjoy thrill rides my nephews (3 & 11 and scared of large or intense rides) could find very little to get excited about there.

Bingo. It's all about the target market. Disney is for families of all ages. Universal, I would dare say, is not. New Fantasyland, by its definition, is for younger kids and their parents. I was not impressed with the Little Mermaid ride either, and haven't had a chance to do Storytime with Belle. Be Our Guest i've eaten at for both lunch and dinner, and it was fantastic. And the theming for the area is amazing. I can't wait to see what happens with the Mine Cart ride. I'm picturing it being kind of like Big Thunder Mountain, with newer ride technology. Not super fast, no real thrills, but still a pretty cool ride.

ANG
08-05-2013, 12:50 PM
I totally disagree.

Be Our Guest is stunning and we loved the food.

Enchanted Tales with Belle is sweet and my kids love it as well.

Stopping for a brew and a pork shank at Gaston's is a must for us now.

And Ariel's ride, sorry you've had bad luck. We've been to new FL multiple times and never had an issue with this ride.

You really can't please all guests.

Ian
08-05-2013, 02:49 PM
I talked about this on one of our podcasts, but I have somewhat mixed feelings about it so far.

Does it look good? Yes. The attention to detail was pretty exceptional. And I personally really loved the Little Mermaid attraction, as did my kids (who are really the target audience here). I'll never criticize them for building classic-style dark rides. I don't think they do enough of them, actually.

I was pretty disappointed by Story Time with Belle. It looked okay, but the experience was pretty cheap overall. I felt like a lot more could have been done with it. The portal door is the peak of the experience, which is cool but not enough to sustain an entire attraction.

And at the end of the day, if you really look with a critical eye, you're net neutral in terms of new rides at this point. You lost Snow White and gained Little Mermaid. The biggest new "attraction" is a restaurant which admittedly is cool but come on ... it's a restaurant.

I'm reserving final judgement until I see 7DMT. It looks like it's going to be pretty epic, so that might be enough to push it over the top.

GoBlueLacheta
08-05-2013, 05:04 PM
I think it's pretty difficult to judge an unfinished product. I mean it wasn't about jamming 10 new attractions into an area, but to open up and expand FL. I hope the bottlenecks decrease because it gets pretty tight in areas.

The physical aspects of it I think live up to standards but the experiences themselves feel a bit ho-hum instead of hi-ho. Also hard to say when the "gem" E-ticket ride has yet to open.

The Little Mermaid attraction could of had a different ride operating system instead of the mass -people mover burn em and churn em to make it a little different.

Hammer
08-05-2013, 05:23 PM
The biggest new "attraction" is a restaurant which admittedly is cool but come on ... it's a restaurant.

As MK has very few sit down restaurants, and the majority of them are buffet/character meals, I think a non-character meal restaurant was sorely needed. We almost always went to a resort to eat dinner when in MK. For the first time in years, I will actually be eating dinner in the Magic Kingdom in October because there is finally a restaurant which my travelling party may enjoy.

Katzateer
08-06-2013, 08:46 AM
Little Mermaid did not blow me away but I think it was well done.

I am thrilled with all the details at Be Our Guest. All the details are amazing and I love it!!:thumbsup::cloud9:

Story time with Belle is ok- with no little ones after seeing it twice it is not on my to-do-list next trip. The portal mirror is amazing!

And I love the way the new train station and that area came together. I just wish they would have kept Mickey's house and the garden. My kid's LOVED that area when younger.

All said, I think the new Fanasyland is amazing and am so glad my first walk through was with my Intercot friends last October!

mydisneygirls
08-06-2013, 11:07 AM
The only thing I would say is that instead of a new gift shop, they could have added some sort of ride (or even put Mickey's house back) in it's place. In my opinion, it was a waste of space.

masonlovesdisney
08-06-2013, 07:25 PM
With all of this feedback, I cant wait until I get to finally be in new FL in October! It is going to be quite an experience!

buzznwoodysmom
08-06-2013, 07:57 PM
I kinda agree with the OP. We were very underwhelmed by what is currently in the new Fantasyland. Here's hoping the mine train coaster blows us away.

I think each area was very well done. Visually it's stunning! I'll give them that.

The little mermaid ride was cute, but will never be a must do for my family. TLM is one of my all time favorite Disney movies, so I was hoping I would love the ride. I love classic Disney dark rides, but this one just felt boring, also way too similar to nemo over at Epcot. Maybe if I had toddler aged girls.....

We loved lunch in Beasts castle, and and I guess I can agree with MK needing something additional in the restaurant department. So no complaints here about that part of FL.

The new circus area is also very well done and visually gorgeous, but nothing new was added. It's just "pretty" to look at, and the lines for Dumbo are shorter and more pleasant, but nothing that can be counted as a truly new experience back there.

Then we have the all the BATB stuff, a gift shop, small food location, and story time. Again, while all very well done, overall it's very underwhelming for my family, and I would guess a rather large number of other guests. Looking back at all our trips since my kids were babies, I can honestly say the only thing that would make the new FL really exciting for us would be if we had small girls.

For us, and this is just MY opinion, the new Fantasyland is just a lot of pretty without a whole lot going on that will keep us interested for the long haul. I'm counting on the mine train being the "gem" of the new area. Otherwise it's a whole lot of stuff that's pretty, but doesn't add much to my family's vacation experience.

lightyearfan
08-07-2013, 02:09 PM
The little mermaid ride was cute, but will never be a must do for my family. TLM is one of my all time favorite Disney movies, so I was hoping I would love the ride. I love classic Disney dark rides, but this one just felt boring, also way too similar to nemo over at Epcot

wow me and dw loved this new ride, it's night and day better and different than Nemo. we thought the ride was done well, technically , song choice, the animatronics are terrific too (IMHO)

but everyone is entitled to have an opinion

Victor

MNNHFLTX
08-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Considering what was there before, I think the New Fantasyland is pretty amazing. Can't wait for the mine coaster ride to be finished! :thumbsup:

Opus X
08-07-2013, 07:57 PM
I agree with the above post. I guess i just can't understand NOT liking it...or finding it..."underwhelming" It is absolutely fantastic...
Whilst...some folks...easily find the negative..or are debbie downers.

AndrewJackson
08-07-2013, 08:37 PM
I agree that Little Mermaid, as a ride, was pretty underwhelming. We too had a very short wait time, and we were there the week right before Easter.

However, I find the land itself to be amazing. The theming is exceptional. It is easy to take the theming for granted because it is disney. In addition, the rest rooms on both ends of FL are amazingly themed as well with Rapunzel on one end and the train station on the other. I know - its just restrooms.

I am one of those weirdos that could just walk around Magic Kingdom and not ride any rides, just take in the atmosphere - especially at night.

thejens
08-07-2013, 09:56 PM
I am so looking forward to our September trip! One thing I keep thinking is that whenever I have been to WDW I have always thought that Fantasyland looked a little bit cheesy and not as fully themed as the other lands. It always felt more similar to the regular kiddie ride parks to me if you took away the spectacular castle backdrop. It sounds like this has been rectified.

I also just love walking around and soaking up the atmosphere. I am a bit worried that this year my teen age boy might not take to the new Fantasyland, but I suspect I will! :blush:

buzznwoodysmom
08-07-2013, 10:03 PM
It is absolutely fantastic...
Whilst...some folks...easily find the negative..or are debbie downers.

Just speaking for myself here. Just because I was not smitten with the new Fantasyland doesn't make me (or others) a person who "easily find the negative" or a "Debbie downer". I simply wasn't overly impressed with what I've seen so far. Of course it's fantastic to look at, but for MY family there isn't a whole lot of substance there that increases OUR vacation enjoyment.

LVT
08-07-2013, 11:35 PM
Sorry to hear that.
I thought they did what they said and did it well. I was expecting a neatly themed area for families with small children. This is a much nicer set up than the old fantasy land, to me.
I expect the Dwarf mine train ride to be for small children also.
I also enjoyed the Little mermaid ride.

MNNHFLTX
08-08-2013, 08:59 AM
I expect the Dwarf mine train ride to be for small children also.
Well, not very small children--there will be a height requirement of 40 inches, same as Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

Ms. Mode
08-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Love it so far. The theming is fantastic. You also have to remember it's not finished. :mickey:

Ditto! :mickey:

azcavalier
08-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Well, not very small children--there will be a height requirement of 40 inches, same as Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

That's my understanding. It's going to be like Big Thunder Mountain, but the cars will each individually sway back and forth a little. So, BTMRR with updated ride technology.

JerseyDad
08-08-2013, 01:47 PM
The only thing I would say is that instead of a new gift shop, they could have added some sort of ride (or even put Mickey's house back) in it's place. In my opinion, it was a waste of space.

.....almost seems to be a theme with WDW lately ...."When in doubt ...build something that sells something".

.....that's what malls are for.

azcavalier
08-08-2013, 02:28 PM
.....almost seems to be a theme with WDW lately ...."When in doubt ...build something that sells something".

.....that's what malls are for.

Honestly, I don't mind the shops as long as they each are unique and sell something you couldn't find anywhere else. That used to be the case on Main Street, until they turned the entire west side of the street into one long shop. But the Belle shop in New Fantasyland seemed to have items unique to that location, which meant that I was seeing stuff I couldn't find elsewhere. That's at least interesting, even if I don't want to spend the money.

ls1jt
08-08-2013, 02:42 PM
I was just there for the first time in 3 years last week.

The new Fantasyland is doing exactly what it needs to I believe. They are getting the princesses out there for everyone who enjoys them. My niece LOVED little mermaid, and I thought it was fun too. It will be come a classic for sure.

The mine train opening soon will really complete the area. Storybook circus was crazy cool too I thought. Well themed, barnstormer was fun, and I loved the big circus tent store with treats.

I wouldn't make it the reason I visited MK, but it was def. a nice new part that I enjoyed.

Gauis2001
08-09-2013, 09:38 AM
The guy playing Gaston was really good. His interaction with children and grown-up guests was clever and fun!

Melanie
08-09-2013, 09:53 AM
The guy playing Gaston was really good. His interaction with children and grown-up guests was clever and fun!

There is one guy playing Gaston that is incredible. Those are the touches that make this new area stand out. I love New Fantasyland and Storybook Circus. The theming is on par with what I saw at Tokyo DisneySea (where theming is second to none) and the new offerings are unique and done well for the targeted audience. I think it will come together quite nicely when the Mine Train opens. Looking forward to seeing it all done. My only gripe is how long it has taken.

CaptSmee
08-09-2013, 10:58 AM
I agree to disagree. To me the Potter-land was very under-whelming. A candy store, a merchandise store, & one attraction? The themeing of new fantasy land seems to be on par & the Ariel attraction was created from fan response to a dark ride simulation on the DVD a few years ago.

I was not impressed by the Belle meet & greet but itis an entertaining way to meet some great characters.

The circus area is 100% better than the lame toontown theme that used to exist there & honestly, the centerpiece is going to be the mine train ride. Can't wait until it opens!

The only things I thought was a waste was the store (so much opportunity, so little to offer) & their drink creation trying to copy universal's .

AgentC
08-09-2013, 11:07 AM

There is one guy playing Gaston that is incredible. Those are the touches that make this new area stand out. I love New Fantasyland and Storybook Circus. The theming is on par with what I saw at Tokyo DisneySea (where theming is second to none) and the new offerings are unique and done well for the targeted audience. I think it will come together quite nicely when the Mine Train opens. Looking forward to seeing it all done. My only gripe is how long it has taken.

I think we have had this Gaston. My husband had so much fun having a "pose off" with Gaston. :D

I wasn't expecting a huge ride area, so I was not disappointed by the lack of new rides. My kids are pretty solidly in the demographic (5&7) that the LM ride caters too and they loved it.

For me, add my to the group who loves all the detail and theming. I love that stuff. I can find so many great pictures too take and just enjoy the atmosphere. But I'll be happy when the Mine Train finally opens.

disneynarula
08-09-2013, 01:23 PM
We were able to see the New Fantasyland during MNSSHP last year. We were impressed and my kids loved the Little Mermaid ride. I can't wait to go back and see it again.

CaptainSad
08-09-2013, 10:08 PM
I find the New Fantasyland a great addition for the kids. Remember this is for the kids at heart. I was there opening day back in December. It was packed. When the mine ride opens next spring it will be even better...

TikiLounger
08-10-2013, 10:02 AM
I haven't seen the new Fantasyland yet, but we'll be there soon. I really can't wait. This thread has me even more interested in checking it out. My kids are grown and this upcoming trip is for my husband and I only. We haven't "done" Fantasyland for a long time. It was never my favorite part of the parks and, once the kids got older and weren't into A Small World and Peter Pan's Flight, we stopped including it in our list of "must dos" and never looked back. Now, I can't wait to see what they've done! I only wish the mine ride was up and running!

tiggerbuddy
08-12-2013, 07:17 AM
I have to agree...All that time and money for basically one new ride...:mickey:

Melanie
08-12-2013, 08:13 AM
I have to agree...All that time and money for basically one new ride...:mickey:

I guess my priorities have changed through the years from someone who thinks the area is a 'complete waste'. What has been created in new Fantasyland is definitely immersive and inviting for me. It's not all about the rides, it's about the whole experience. And I don't even have daughters, or in any way fashion myself a Princess. I'll leave that to Beth (MNNHFLTX). ;)

AgentC
08-12-2013, 08:21 AM
I guess my priorities have changed through the years from someone who thinks the area is a 'complete waste'. What has been created in new Fantasyland is definitely immersive and inviting for me. It's not all about the rides, it's about the whole experience. And I don't even have daughters, or in any way fashion myself a Princess. I'll leave that to Beth (MNNHFLTX). ;)

:ditto: Well except for the daughter thing. I do have one of those and I'm pretty sure she thinks she is a princess. Well, Queen of the World might be more accurate. ;)

Melanie
08-12-2013, 08:41 AM
:ditto: Well except for the daughter thing. I do have one of those and I'm pretty sure she thinks she is a princess. Well, Queen of the World might be more accurate. ;)

But, she's a smart Queen. After all, she loves Epcot. :D

TinkerbellT421
08-12-2013, 10:03 AM

:thumbsup: ditto

miltimo5
08-12-2013, 12:21 PM
i cant wait to see it, but i am assuming it is really designed for the really young girls..... that is kind of what i was expecting....

MNNHFLTX
08-12-2013, 02:57 PM
And I don't even have daughters, or in any way fashion myself a Princess. I'll leave that to Beth (MNNHFLTX). ;)
Hey, it's a dirty job but someone has to do it (note the Cinderella quote). ;)

Terra
08-12-2013, 09:49 PM
i cant wait to see it, but i am assuming it is really designed for the really young girls..... that is kind of what i was expecting....

OH my stars. I'm 42 with 2 sons who love it! We all get starry eyed when we go! I think it's great for all ages!:blush:

disneynarula
08-14-2013, 03:26 AM
I think it's great that Disney went old school with the New Fantasyland. I love that it's family friendly.

mcjaco
08-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Just got back from the World yesterday, and spent two days at MK for the kids.

I really liked the New Fantasyland/Storybook Circus area. Thought the theming was top notch, and the Ariel was very well done. It's a B or a C ride, nothing more, which is what was needed. The animatronics on Sebastian were incredible. Dumbo's new play area/queue was perfect, especially since it hit well over 100 degrees on Monday. A/C, and the kids could play.

I don't care about character meet/greets so that didn't bother me at all. The views with the new backdrop is really cool, and once Snow White is finished, it'll really bring the east side of the land together.

MouseHouser
08-15-2013, 03:54 PM
Gaston stopped by our table outside as he was passing by. He was a bit of a braggart -- true to form. Funny stuff. Made our meal. Disney rocks!

Mrs Bus Driver
08-16-2013, 09:45 AM
After reading this thread there seems to be 2 sides love it or leave it. I will say that after growing up 10 minutes from DL I was on the leave it side with the old WDW fantasyland. It just wasn't as visually appealing as DL. While I haven't seen the new fl what they have done with dumbo sounds great. Doubt if I will ever take pictures with characters but that area sounds nice to. I don't expect an E-ticket from the Dwarf mine train, but it does sound like a fun D-ticket ride. Anyhow I am looking forward to looking around the improved fl, maybe not DL standards yet but it will be nice to see what they have done. :mickey:

kbean
08-24-2013, 01:51 PM
I'll never criticize them for building classic-style dark rides. I don't think they do enough of them, actually.

Word!

1DisneyNut
08-24-2013, 02:09 PM
We thought New Fantasyland was a huge disappointment as well. The outside looks good but the Ariel ride was a huge let down. It is just another one of those with the boring video screens. If you have ridden Nemo, you have pretty much ridden Arial, neither of which ever have a line.

Opus X
08-24-2013, 04:23 PM
We thought New Fantasyland was a huge disappointment as well. The outside looks good but the Ariel ride was a huge let down. It is just another one of those with the boring video screens. If you have ridden Nemo, you have pretty much ridden Arial, neither of which ever have a line.
You must have ridden a ride that doesnt exist.
The "Ariel" ride...Under the sea...uses over 100 animatronics. It has no comparison to memo. Heck...I like nemo!! But, this one is 110% different experience.

Opus X
08-24-2013, 04:27 PM
I find the New Fantasyland a great addition for the kids. Remember this is for the kids at heart. I was there opening day back in December. It was packed. When the mine ride opens next spring it will be even better...
Agreed, Disney hit a home run with the new Fantasyland!! for sure. Im very looking forward to the new mine ride!
Folks that "debbie downer" on Fantasyland..forget it wasn't supposed to be about a ton of new rides...It is about theming and making room. It accomplished that and more. When The mine ride does open and it is actual finished....What a great land it will be.
The Little Mermaid attraction has had VERY VERY high approval marks. WDW Today podcast was talking about how it is already becoming a classic like Peter Pan...and it hasnt been open a year!

Jared
08-24-2013, 04:42 PM
The biggest problem with New Fantasyland is how Disney advertised it. From the moment the project was announced, the company hyped it as "the largest expansion in Magic Kingdom history." By sheer acreage, I suppose that is true. But in terms of added content for guests, it hardly registers.

To me, New Fantasyland is essentially a Magic Kingdom beautification project. It's beautiful and wonderfully designed. The Imagineers did a fantastic job with the setting, with the exteriors, with the overall aesthetics.

Yet there is virtually no substance, which has made it a massive disappointment to a large portion of guests. The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will help the situation somewhat, but a D-ticket family coaster with limited show scenes isn't going to fix everything.

At this point in my Disney fan life, I have come what New Fantasyland offers. I enjoy walking around the area, especially during the rare times of the day when it isn't inundated with people. I particularly love the job the Imagineers did with the updated train station in Storybook Circus.

Most people, though, visit Walt Disney World for rides. In that regard -- and it is a major regard -- New Fantasyland is a failure. I understand why that would be hard for many to stomach: As the park down Interstate 4 continues to churn out groundbreaking attractions every six months, Disney hasn't produced a legitimate E-ticket since 1994.

New Fantasyland is a perfect reflection of Disney's changing priorities. It isn't about attractions anymore, at least right now. Magic Kingdom needed to add capacity. Now there is more room for people to stand.

Opus X
08-24-2013, 04:59 PM
The biggest problem with New Fantasyland is how Disney advertised it. From the moment the project was announced, the company hyped it as "the largest expansion in Magic Kingdom history." By sheer acreage, I suppose that is true. But in terms of added content for guests, it hardly registers.

To me, New Fantasyland is essentially a Magic Kingdom beautification project. It's beautiful and wonderfully designed. The Imagineers did a fantastic job with the setting, with the exteriors, with the overall aesthetics.

Yet there is virtually no substance, which has made it a massive disappointment to a large portion of guests. The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will help the situation somewhat, but a D-ticket family coaster with limited show scenes isn't going to fix everything.

At this point in my Disney fan life, I have come what New Fantasyland offers. I enjoy walking around the area, especially during the rare times of the day when it isn't inundated with people. I particularly love the job the Imagineers did with the updated train station in Storybook Circus.

Most people, though, visit Walt Disney World for rides. In that regard -- and it is a major regard -- New Fantasyland is a failure. I understand why that would be hard for many to stomach: As the park down Interstate 4 continues to churn out groundbreaking attractions every six months, Disney hasn't produced a legitimate E-ticket since 1994.

New Fantasyland is a perfect reflection of Disney's changing priorities. It isn't about attractions anymore, at least right now. Magic Kingdom needed to add capacity. Now there is more room for people to stand.

Got to disagree,,,ITS ALL substance. If it wasn't..it would ONLY be rides. Once the mine ride opens..it will be only better.
As for Universal...I dont compare Disney to them. Different experience all together...Its like comparing a Subaru to a Boeing 777. Not even the same paradigm. Universal has been and always will be 2nd fiddle to Disney. That wont ever change..But, its not an issue anyways. Different beasts as i stated.
E.E. was built in 2006 i believe. Its more than an E ticket. attraction. I wanted to add that. Tower of Terror was 1994..
But the new Fantasyland was what parents wanted. MORE room to be with smaller kids.
Disney did exactly that. A home run!!
it doesn't matter to me how fast Disney churns out rides...Totally, irrelevant.
We all have our opinions...But i Loved the new Fantasyland...and heck ima 43 male father of 2!!

Jared
08-24-2013, 05:04 PM
Universal has been and always will be 2nd fiddle to Disney. That wont ever change.
There are plenty of Disney executives who feel this way. Unfortunately, there are fewer and fewer guests who agree with them.

Has Universal reached Disney in terms of overall quality? No, not yet. It might not even be as close as some Disney fans like to believe.

But the fact remains that The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man opened in 1999. Disney has yet to do anything of that quality, both technologically and aesthetically.

\E.E. was built in 2006 i believe. Its more than an E ticket. attraction. I wanted to add that. Tower of Terror was 1994..
With a functioning yeti, I'd agree that Expedition Everest is a legitimate E-ticket. It's a phenomenal attraction.

But how can you call a ride an E-ticket when its primary show scene is nonexistent?

Opus X
08-24-2013, 05:22 PM
There are plenty of Disney executives who feel this way. Unfortunately, there are fewer and fewer guests who agree with them.

Has Universal reached Disney in terms of overall quality? No, not yet. It might not even be as close as some Disney fans like to believe.

But the fact remains that The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man opened in 1999. Disney has yet to do anything of that quality, both technologically and aesthetically.

With a functioning yeti, I'd agree that Expedition Everest is a legitimate E-ticket. It's a phenomenal attraction.

But how can you call a ride an E-ticket when its primary show scene is nonexistent?
M.K. attendence incresases every year..so most guests DO agree with those executives..
99.9% of folks wouldnt notice if the Yeti was moving or not...
And again, You compare alot of Universal attractions to WDW/DLR. They are not in the same situation. VERY VERY few people do both places during a visit. Its like either you are an Elvis fan or Beetles fan.
WDW has a whole different fan base and both are irrelevant of each other.
17.5 million visitors appox to M.K. ALONE in 2012.
12 million to BOTH Islands of Adventure and Universal orlando combined.
But over 75% of that is folks that don't do both places. Disney and Universal. They choose one.
Screamscape provided that info..
My point is. You compare Universal to WDW...I don't.
I could care less what they have or don't.
But...hey, thats what these boards are for.
Different opinions

BrowncatP
08-24-2013, 05:41 PM
New Fantasyland is very pretty to look at. There is not much there though. The Little Mermaid ride is one of those sit and relax rides. Did anyone notice as you enter the largest room of the ride that Ariel's support arm is WAY TOO Noticeable! Oh, at the D-23 Expo Joe Rohde said the" Yeti would be fixed." He then said that they would," try to fix the Yeti."

jillluvsdisney
08-27-2013, 07:31 PM
so disagree with you, Jared . EE in Animal Kingdom, TSM in HS and Soarin at EPCOT are most definitely E ticket rides.

Jared
08-27-2013, 08:33 PM
so disagree with you, Jared . EE in Animal Kingdom, TSM in HS and Soarin at EPCOT are most definitely E ticket rides.
Man, you guys are generous!

I agree that Expedition Everest with a functioning yeti is an E-Ticket. With the yeti out of commission, I don't think it warrants that distinction.

As for Soarin' and Toy Story Mania, I love both of those rides. Tons of fun. Among my favorites in their respective parks. But in terms of scope and ambition, I think they're both lacking.

shev
08-27-2013, 08:50 PM
I really think it all depends on the age of the children your there with...if your even there with kids that is. We went to MK with our 3 yr old grand-daughter and 75% of our day was spent in fantasyland...lovvvved it :cloud9:

The Horned King
08-28-2013, 07:05 AM
Disney is generally for families. Universal is generally for a younger thrill seeking audience.

As fantastic as spiderman is. It doesn't appeal to people that don't like to be spun and thrown around the vehicle. It is quite rough in some sections. A technical marvel yes. But not in the same league as disney. The finish and detailing on disney rides is second to none.

My 2 pence worth....

1DisneyNut
08-28-2013, 09:03 AM
You must have ridden a ride that doesnt exist.
The "Ariel" ride...Under the sea...uses over 100 animatronics. It has no comparison to memo. Heck...I like nemo!! But, this one is 110% different experience.

Even my 11 year old daughter and 12 year old son said they felt like they had ridden it before although it was a brand new ride. The whole feel of the ride is very similar to nemo. It obviously isn't being received very well, July 5 on the busy July 4 holiday week; we could walk right on the ride at 2:00 PM. We expected there to be a line with it being a brand new ride and a very busy week. We checked the wait times throughout the day for Magic Kingdom and never saw Under the Sea with much of a wait time.

Nemo stinks and I have never seen a wait time. The few times we have ridden it, we walked right on without ever stopping. With the poor attendance, I will be surprised if it doesn't get redone or replaced within the next 5 years.

mcjaco
08-28-2013, 09:55 AM
I'm going to suggest you guys read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_ticket

Then come back with what you think is a E Ticket ride.

New Fantasyland is perfect for what it is. An expansion of Dinsey's lovable characters from many movies that didn't have a place in the parks yet. My 16 month olds loved that area (especially the Casey Jr. water area). Once Snow White opens, it'll really be a shining spot in the park again. I think we spent 80% of our time there this year, and we used to breeze through it.

Opus X
08-28-2013, 02:23 PM
I'm going to suggest you guys read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_ticket

Then come back with what you think is a E Ticket ride.

New Fantasyland is perfect for what it is. An expansion of Dinsey's lovable characters from many movies that didn't have a place in the parks yet. My 16 month olds loved that area (especially the Casey Jr. water area). Once Snow White opens, it'll really be a shining spot in the park again. I think we spent 80% of our time there this year, and we used to breeze through it.
Yep...The KIDS love it!! Agreed 100%
Debbie downers....Will come around...The new Fantasyland....IS great!!

DryCreek
08-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Well, I haven't been to WDW since 2009. Last year we went to DLR, so I am familiar with the LM dark ride. It was OK, and much in keeping with what I would expect from a Disney park that caters to children who's age demographic includes those familiar with the movie.

This year we did US/IOA with an onsite stay. And yes, even though I am an avid Disney fan, I was impressed with what we saw there at Universal. We liked the Unlimited Express Pass that was a perk for those staying at one of the onsite hotels. It made it very easy to see almost everything in a day, even though we had five days and four nights there.

Universal theming is very good. I would say that in percentage comparison, they are at 90% of any Disney park we have been to. But, to compare the number of rides/attractions they have added recently might not be fair. If you look at their most recent additions, they rely heavily on motion-simulators. Those don't agree very well with my stomach. Every day I had to take a dose of Meclazine HCL (generic Bonine) just to make it through the rides. Even with that, by the end of the Forbidden Journey ride I had to close my eyes. Thankfully, the scenes alternated between the motion simulator screens and actual sets. My first observation of the two parks was that it just wasn't really designed for families with toddlers. Aside from the Dr. Seuss area, there just wasn't much more for them.

Disney should keep an eye on their competition though, with the exception of landscaping, parades, and shows - Universal is really catching up! Oh, they also really need some type of reasonable meal plan. The one we used wasn't that great - limited choices, fast food only. I guess the same applies for DLR - they really don't have a dining plan either.

Best ride at Universal is a tossup between Hulk and Hollywood Rip-Ride Rockets.

Melanie
08-28-2013, 05:22 PM
Best ride at Universal is a tossup between Hulk and Hollywood Rip-Ride Rockets.

And I'd choose Mummy and Spiderman, and put them against any Disney attraction. :yes:

baldburke
08-28-2013, 06:46 PM
We had mixed feelings over Ariel. It reminded me too much of the Nemo ride in Epcot. We really liked the new Dumbo, especially in the dark. The new themeing and lighting were very well done. I never thought Fantasyland was supposed to be a place for thrill rides, it's a place for families!

DryCreek
08-28-2013, 09:05 PM
And I'd choose Mummy and Spiderman, and put them against any Disney attraction. :yes:
Oh yeah, we really enjoyed The Mummy too, but it reminded me of another ride (Indiana Jones) which I would consider its equal.

Spider man? The constant "thrumming" of the S.C.O.O.P.'s engine was a detraction, and then again, those sections of motion simulation left me a little queasy - especially the final drop where you are stopped before hitting the street.

MNNHFLTX
08-28-2013, 09:56 PM
Oh yeah, we really enjoyed The Mummy too, but it reminded me of another ride (Indiana Jones) which I would consider its equal.

Spider man? The constant "thrumming" of the S.C.O.O.P.'s engine was a detraction, and then again, those sections of motion simulation left me a little queasy - especially the final drop where you are stopped before hitting the street.

You are obviously more of a classic roller coaster aficionado! I love the Hulk at Universal, but it's a bit dated. And Rip-Ride Rockit is definitely a head rush--almost too much so for me. But love the total immersion of Spider-Man and Mummy isn't too far behind. Great rides at Universal!

Arielfan98
08-28-2013, 11:40 PM
I wouldn't say it was a complete disappointment for me as you can tell since I've been waiting 16 years for some sort of Ariel ride. However, I am disappointed with the size. I thought it would be much bigger. I understand that some of it is closed off due to he construction on the Mine Train ride but still it's like one small strip of nothing really but the ariel ride.

TheVBs
08-29-2013, 08:21 AM
Most people, though, visit Walt Disney World for rides.

I really don't think that's the case. We love the rides, but we go to WDW for so much more than the rides. I think most guests go to WDW for the overall experience and aren't just looking to hop from one thrill ride to the next.

I also agree that expectations seemed to be off for what a new ride in Fantasyland would likely be. It is the area that has the most rides for small children to enjoy.

We've never been to Universal. We'd love to go one day, but to date we have not been even remotely motivated to choose it over WDW. Hearing that there are a lot of simulator rides makes me hesitate even more. The girls and I are horribly prone to motion sickness and wouldn't be able to enjoy those types of rides.

DryCreek
08-29-2013, 10:16 PM
You are obviously more of a classic roller coaster aficionado! I love the Hulk at Universal, but it's a bit dated. And Rip-Ride Rockit is definitely a head rush--almost too much so for me. But love the total immersion of Spider-Man and Mummy isn't too far behind. Great rides at Universal!

Oh yeah, I like something that actually moves, not some box that shakes you and makes you wear 3D glasses to trick your brain (but not inner ear) into thinking that you are doing something.

I have to admit that the best part of the Hulk is the launch. It reminds me of the Rockin' Roller Coaster at DHS (my favorite roller coaster), but not as smooth. After looking at the vertical lift for Hollywood RRR, I had some trepidation at first. You go straight up - and fast. I still rode it six or seven times while we were there. Loved the concept, wasn't too fond of the restraint system. Single point latch? The DW and I also rode the dueling dragons several times. I think it was the Blue one we rode the most (faster, not as many jerky loops). Must also confess to having ridden the "Flight of the Hippogriff" twice too. Pretty lame, but you can get some pictures from there that can't be taken from any other angle.

DryCreek
08-29-2013, 10:28 PM
To me, New Fantasyland is essentially a Magic Kingdom beautification project.

Most people, though, visit Walt Disney World for rides.

I will take a beautification project any day of the week over them doing nothing. Try visiting any of the stagnant and decaying Six Flags properties. Oh yeah, I forgot - we got a new swing ride that goes up 350 feet. Wow.

I am not too sure if most people go to The Magic Kingdom for rides. I am prone to believe that it is a near even mix of rides/attractions (i.e. shows, parades, fireworks, M&G and "ambiance" entertainment). New rides don't have to be a thrill ride either to be a classic. My adults son's favorite ride was Mr. Toads Wild Ride. He was mortified to find out that they had taken it out of Fantasyland. After we told him that it lives on at DLR, he has vowed to save enough money to get there some day, and re-experience his happiest moments at a Disney park.

Jared
08-30-2013, 03:25 PM
I really don't think that's the case. We love the rides, but we go to WDW for so much more than the rides. I think most guests go to WDW for the overall experience and aren't just looking to hop from one thrill ride to the next.
I said "rides," not "thrill rides." Really, I should have said "attractions."

At this point, I visit Disney World for the aesthetic and artistic qualities of the parks perhaps more than anything else. I suspect plenty of the people who post on this board have similar motivations.

But I think it is easy to forget how small of a subset of the general Disney-going population we really represent. I still say that the attractions -- not necessarily thrill rides -- are ultimately what attract people to the park. The average guest will not return to the Magic Kingdom because the new section of Fantasyland looks pretty. With Disney, that's a given.

They'll come back because they rode Peter Pan's Flight, and -- oh my goodness -- they felt like they were flying over London.

TheVBs
08-30-2013, 07:02 PM
Fair point. I shouldn't have automatically equated rides with thrill rides. I would agree that the rides and attractions are what draw a lot of people to Disney. I think a lot of people are also drawn by the nostalgia, even if they've never been there before. So many people have grown up watching Disney movies and shows. I know people who have said they just wanted to see that castle from the Wonderful World of Disney in real life. Everything Disney is very visual and immersive. I wouldn't dismiss the possibility that some people are wowed enough by the beauty to plan a repeat visit. Not to mention those magical moments and great service.

But I do agree, we're a small subset and I may be projecting my own feelings about WDW on other visitors.

Jared
08-30-2013, 08:10 PM
I wouldn't dismiss the possibility that some people are wowed enough by the beauty to plan a repeat visit. Not to mention those magical moments and great service.

But I do agree, we're a small subset and I may be projecting my own feelings about WDW on other visitors.
There's definitely a balance here. I think we're unusual in that we understand and appreciate the aesthetic and artistic qualities of the park on an outward, conscious level. We walk into New Fantasyland and marvel at the intricacy of the bridge to Be Our Guest, or the details in the Mermaid queue.

For most people, I suspect, it's subconscious. They find themselves enjoying the Disney parks more than other parks, but they quite pinpoint why. The company calls it the "Disney Difference." I've always thought that phenomenon refers to an intrinsic appreciation of little things. That aspect of the parks is crucial and can never be ignored.

It hasn't been, and New Fantasyland is proof of that. Heck, the work done at the "Tangled" restrooms near the Fantasyland/Liberty Square breezeway is proof of that.

I'm just worried that the pendulum has swung too far in that direction at expense of attraction design. And there is nothing that has been officially announced yet that will make me change my mind.

TheVBs
08-31-2013, 11:23 AM
I can easily see it being on a subconscious level for most people. I know the first couple of times I went as an adult, it certainly didn't fully register with me.

I also think, as a subset, our expectations of what a new attraction should be can be very different from the majority of guests. So many people have yet to experience, or experience more than once, all that WDW currently has to offer.

JerseyDad
09-01-2013, 04:27 PM
There's definitely a balance here. I think we're unusual in that we understand and appreciate the aesthetic and artistic qualities of the park on an outward, conscious level. We walk into New Fantasyland and marvel at the intricacy of the bridge to Be Our Guest, or the details in the Mermaid queue.

For most people, I suspect, it's subconscious. They find themselves enjoying the Disney parks more than other parks, but they quite pinpoint why. The company calls it the "Disney Difference." I've always thought that phenomenon refers to an intrinsic appreciation of little things. That aspect of the parks is crucial and can never be ignored.

It hasn't been, and New Fantasyland is proof of that. Heck, the work done at the "Tangled" restrooms near the Fantasyland/Liberty Square breezeway is proof of that.

I'm just worried that the pendulum has swung too far in that direction at expense of attraction design. And there is nothing that has been officially announced yet that will make me change my mind.

....funny that you mention the Tangled restroom / seating area. I finally had time to go through the Fantasyland expansion area today ...from beginning to end .....and the Tangled area had the best theming. The rest of the place is a lot of fluff ....and money-grab booths.

brad817
09-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Was in WDW last week and the NEW Fantasyland was a HUGE disappointment. It has been overhyped for the last few years and for what???

One new ride (Ariel's underwater adventure), another eatery (gastons), and another useless gift shop dedicated to Belle.

All in all it a lot of fluf. Wasted land except when the new mine roller coaster opens.

They used way too much land for a "no frills" ariel ride..Everytime we tried to get on Ariel's ride, there was no wait or it was closed for malfunctions. It took a half hour just to get to the **** ride. I think the imagineers expected this one to be a hit......NOT!!!!! With all the zig zags to the actual ride.

Not another story with Ariel or meet and greet designated area......

Imagineers.....use your imagination!!!!!

:down::down::down::down::down:

lol......Well I guess someone has to be in the 1%. I would imagine almost no one shares your feelings but it's a free country so you're entitled to your own opinion.

Opus X
09-07-2013, 11:42 AM
lol......Well I guess someone has to be in the 1%. I would imagine almost no one shares your feelings but it's a free country so you're entitled to your own opinion.
agreed. But less than 1% more like .001
The New..Fantasyland is GREAT.

DizneyFreak2002
09-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Truth? The new Fantasyland hasn't been the home run people thought it would be... While not a disaster with guests (and its not, anyone saying it is just wants to argue), it also isn't highly rated... But it is lots of fluff, no substance, all style... So it is a lot more than 1% not liking it..

of course, Disney can put up card board boxes and let 5 year old kids color on them, call them new attractions, and Disney online community would call it the greatest thing ever...

Opus X
09-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Truth? The new Fantasyland hasn't been the home run people thought it would be... While not a disaster with guests (and its not, anyone saying it is just wants to argue), it also isn't highly rated... But it is lots of fluff, no substance, all style... So it is a lot more than 1% not liking it..

of course, Disney can put up card board boxes and let 5 year old kids color on them, call them new attractions, and Disney online community would call it the greatest thing ever...
:confused:
Completely disagree. WDWtoday had a segment on how it IS highly rated by guests. Of course, there will be folks that expected tinker bell herself to make an appearance...or Unless Walt himself made an appearance (i hope he had a good embalmer) a FEW folks will find something to not like about it. When it is done..there isnt anything NOT to like about it. It has the best theming in the park (all substance) and will have 2 new really awesome attractions...Ariel and Mine ride. Plus...the Dumbo area provides breathing room for families. Especiall back in that area. I think alot of the FEW people that arent impressed by it....DONT have kids.
I know its all opinions..but sometimes i wonder what people want...Its a great addition to Fantasyland. Job well done.

Gator
09-07-2013, 08:56 PM
So the new Tangled bathroom area, Belle's Cottage, new double-spinner Dumbo w/play area, redesigned Barnstormer and train station, AND two cool eating establishments are fluff? Why sure it is!

You know what, that big ol' Space Mt is fluff too!!! I mean, a dinky rollercoaster with a giant lid on it is a bunch of style and no substance. And what's with all those singing critters on Splash Mt? Just get to the drop already!! And let's not forget Epcot... Could we drop the façade and just have some lemonade stands selling food and goods that are made in different countries? What's with all the cool architecture and fluff and ..... THEMING!

Oh yeah. I forgot. They're called Theme Parks. The "fluff" you speak of is actually staging and theming. And it's what makes Disney....Disney.

I can't believe that anyone who walks up to, through, and rides The Little Mermaid ride could ever think it's just fluff. That area is amazing, and once the walls come down on Snow White, it will be even more incredible. I love it. Call me part of the 99%.

Opus X
09-07-2013, 09:08 PM
So the new Tangled bathroom area, Belle's Cottage, new double-spinner Dumbo w/play area, redesigned Barnstormer and train station, AND two cool eating establishments are fluff? Why sure it is!

You know what, that big ol' Space Mt is fluff too!!! I mean, a dinky rollercoaster with a giant lid on it is a bunch of style and no substance. And what's with all those singing critters on Splash Mt? Just get to the drop already!! And let's not forget Epcot... Could we drop the façade and just have some lemonade stands selling food and goods that are made in different countries? What's with all the cool architecture and fluff and ..... THEMING!

Oh yeah. I forgot. They're called Theme Parks. The "fluff" you speak of is actually staging and theming. And it's what makes Disney....Disney.

I can't believe that anyone who walks up to, through, and rides The Little Mermaid ride could ever think it's just fluff. That area is amazing, and once the walls come down on Snow White, it will be even more incredible. I love it. Call me part of the 99%.
Agreed. Some of the incredible debbie downers on here is simply amazing...
But, some folks ONLY find the negative in things.
And, life is too short for that.

DizneyFreak2002
09-07-2013, 09:11 PM
:confused:
Completely disagree. WDWtoday had a segment on how it IS highly rated by guests. Of course, there will be folks that expected tinker bell herself to make an appearance...or Unless Walt himself made an appearance (i hope he had a good embalmer) a FEW folks will find something to not like about it. When it is done..there isnt anything NOT to like about it. It has the best theming in the park (all substance) and will have 2 new really awesome attractions...Ariel and Mine ride. Plus...the Dumbo area provides breathing room for families. Especiall back in that area. I think alot of the FEW people that arent impressed by it....DONT have kids.
I know its all opinions..but sometimes i wonder what people want...Its a great addition to Fantasyland. Job well done.

Theme is style, not substance... And for style, it gets A+... no one has ever denied that... it is the substance, what is included in this expansion (not really an expansion since they only reclaimed once used land) that is the source of discontent... Mermaid lacks vision, lacks imagination, lacks creativity... Mermaid gets mixed reviews... Hardly awesome... Belle's meet and greet is a waste of space... Great effects in the cottage only to be lost on story time... And we can't really call a ride which hasn't opened yet awesome...

As for Be Our Guest, again, mixed reviews... Kudos for the style... not so much for the substance, this case the food... Read lots of reviews, and spoke to people who have said the food is NOT good and for sure not worth the price... Oh and it didn't help that TDO jacked prices and slashed menu items within a few months of the restaurant opening...

New Fantasyland is hardly a home run the online community dreams it to be...

DizneyFreak2002
09-07-2013, 09:13 PM

Read my last post... yes, fluff... SO we now give Disney kudos for e ticket bathrooms? Too bad they don't like to make e-ticket rides in WDW anymore... You know, onces that actually work.. Yeti comes to mind...

I think your post proves how WDW has sunk in the last 10 - 15 years when we have to say a play area is a terrific addition...

DizneyFreak2002
09-07-2013, 09:17 PM
Agreed. Some of the incredible debbie downers on here is simply amazing...
But, some folks ONLY find the negative in things.
And, life is too short for that.

So is someone NOT allowed to be critical of Disney? Are the only opinions you want to have expressed are those of nothing but pixie dust and princesses and not of the harsh reality of what has become of WDW? Are the only opinions you want to read are the ones where people just accept garbage?

That is why TDO treats WDW the way they do.. Cause of the accepting and defending of mediocrity... I remember when Disney tried to out do themselves.. They used to hold themselves to high standards... Orlando, no more... Now it is just good enough, and sometimes, not even that good... But who cares because they will only be defended anyway...

Opus X
09-07-2013, 09:24 PM
So is someone NOT allowed to be critical of Disney? Are the only opinions you want to have expressed are those of nothing but pixie dust and princesses and not of the harsh reality of what has become of WDW? Are the only opinions you want to read are the ones where people just accept garbage?

That is why TDO treats WDW the way they do.. Cause of the accepting and defending of mediocrity... I remember when Disney tried to out do themselves.. They used to hold themselves to high standards... Orlando, no more... Now it is just good enough, and sometimes, not even that good... But who cares because they will only be defended anyway...
you seem to ALWAYS complain about something at WDW...I had a conversation with a moderator/ pod cast guy about that...its getting old on here...
You talk about "harsh reality" by who's definition? Yours?:D
I have gone to WDW since 1989 as an adult. Its a great now as ever...and really even more so. There is much more to do now...more choices.
Its not that you complain alot...but you do it in a "fact" based manner, which is 110% incorrect.
Reality is WDW/DLR has never been better.
Try going to WDW and actually enjoying your family/kids....if you have any...memories will last forever....and try not to look for things to whine about. It will be life changing.
Not just concerning WDW If you do...you'll see there isnt anything to have issue with.
Just a fantastic time. You dont sound like a fella with kids though....not at all.
Peace.
My apologies...if i made it personal...not my intent. But debbie downers in general...sometimes...need to actually believe in santa claus..life can be good that way.
Again....nothing personal...I'll leave this thread alone now. No need to continue.
Gotta plan our next visit!!

DizneyFreak2002
09-07-2013, 10:16 PM
you seem to ALWAYS complain about something at WDW...I had a conversation with a moderator/ pod cast guy about that...its getting old on here...

You are here for 1 month and you know me already? Interesting...

Always complain about something at WDW? Nah... Only when they deserve to be called out on it... I give them kudos when due... Last 10 years, not much is deserving of a pat on the back...

I have gone to WDW since 1989 as an adult. Its a great now as ever...and really even more so. There is much more to do now...more choices.And much more has been taken away than added in the last 10 - 15 years... Yet you are paying more (basically more for less)... I have a major issue with the way management has run WDW during that time... Come on, who holds a press event (a major press event) for the announcement of benches? Only out of touch management in WDW...

Its not that you complain alot...but you do it in a "fact" based manner, which is 110% incorrect.I only post news and information as fact when I know it to be... And state something is my opinion when it is simply that... Before I post something, I vet the information... If I cannot verify the info, I don't post it...

Reality is WDW/DLR has never been better. Actually WDW has been better.. Today, it isn't.. Parks are stale... Maintenance is horrible... Poor show has become the norm, when it used to be the exception...

Try going to WDW and actually enjoying your family/kids....if you have any...memories will last forever....and try not to look for things to whine about. It will be life changing.Sorry, anyone who thinks a trip to WDW is lifechanging.. Nah, I'll stop my sentence there...

Never said the place wasn't fun... It is, and no one is denying that... However, there is only so much fun to be had with the same thing over and over and over.. you get it.. Yes, when something gets stale, it starts to remove the fun...

My apologies...if i made it personal...not my intent. But debbie downers in general...sometimes...need to actually believe in santa claus..life can be good that way.Never took your posts personal... And please don't take mine personal.. I'm not trying to convince you that your opinions are wrong... Opinions are never wrong... it is how someone feels... I never said someone couldn't or shouldn't enjoy WDW... But, I always post a fact as a fact (and only as a fact if I can, again, vet the truth of the information).. otherwise, I state it as my opinion...

However, you did kind of attack Jared cause he felt the new Fantasyland area isn't up to snuff... Almost like you took it personal... If the only opinions allowed to be posted are only positive, pixie dust laced opinions, this site and all others will be boring... And if that is your thing, there are plenty of pixie dust addict site out there where no negative posts are allowed...

buzznwoodysmom
09-08-2013, 10:45 AM
its getting old on here...

Funny you should say that!

There are actually two "trends" I've noticed here on Intercot over the past several months that IN MY OPINION are "getting old"...

One is that if you still find value in, or still enjoy trips to Disney you are somehow a mindless person who will follow anything Disney does, you are drinking the Disney koolaid, surely you have no idea what is a good value in a vacation........and it goes on....

The other "trend" is that if you don't like even the smallest thing Disney does then surely you are a "Debbie Downer", only see the negative in a situation, your a whiner or complainer, you go looking for something to complain about, and clearly don't know what your talking about.....

Each one is about as annoying as the other, in my opinion of course!:thumbsup:

TheVBs
09-08-2013, 12:13 PM
Well said Denise! :thumbsup:

My2Sons
09-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Wow! Interesting and heated topic! We visited the New Fantasyland in Feb. - and it was very new. I was so excited about the LM ride, and it must have stopped 12 times while we were on it. It made for a nice, long ride! We could have been annoyed, but we saw it as an opportunity to have some extra time to check out the decor itself. :thumbsup: I figured they still had some kinks to work out, and it gives me something to look forward to the next time we visit.

The way I look at it, going to WDW - for us - is a chance to escape the pressures of life for a few days and just relax and enjoy being a family. Why complain? Take it in stride, enjoy the vacation, and be happy about what goes right.

Also, reading these boards is a chance to think about past and future trips and share ideas with other Disney fans - not to get into an argument! ;) For me - WDW is about putting the stress of life aside for a bit.

That said - I hope everyone has only the best WDW trips in the future! :mickey:

mcjaco
09-09-2013, 11:38 AM
I'll agree that WDW is not what it once was, but clumping the last ten years as bad, isn't right either.

I think the last five have show steady improvement. Before that, there was a lot of stuff that was being over looked, beaten up, etc. A lot of that has been corrected.

I didn't have a lot of time to really observe much my last trip, due to it being my first with two toddlers. I didn't notice anything glaringly terrible.....because I wasn't looking for it. Which is what I think is the new cool thing to do...and then post about it.

As I said before, we spent a lot of time in the new Fantasyland, since it was what the kids could ride the most in. They loved it. That's all that mattered to us in the end.

FriendsofMickey
09-09-2013, 03:03 PM
To the OP: I think that if you went in looking for a new park with lots of exciting rides, then yes, it would definitely lead you to a path of epic disappointment.
However, I do believe that the point to the expansion was not to thrill, but to allow more family attractions with the Disney spirit. I feel that they definitely delivered in that aspect.
We were there in November and my daughters (both ten), loved, loved, loved the LM ride, the Belle story time (it definitely was better in my opinion then the old Belle story time - which we liked as well), and also Be Our Guest.
Disney, without a doubt, brought the feel of Disney into that portion of the park. They did an absolutely fantastic job of taking you into the story... which, in my opinion is what make Disney like no other park I have ever visited.

To comment on the other stuff mentioned in this thread:

My first visit to Disney was in 1996. The castle was a big pink cake :ack:. Besides that awful choice; however, what I found at Disney was this magical place. The moment you walked into the park, the smells, the sounds, everything just submerged into make believe.
We were there in November of 1996, Test Track was just in the works, Animal Kingdom had just been announced, no Soarin, no Toy Story Mania. My opinion, they have removed items that I LOVED (Hunchback of Notre Dame), but they have also added some great rides that we love.
There are definitely difference, some better, some worse, but overall we really enjoy it.
We will be back this week and we cannot wait.

MNNHFLTX
09-09-2013, 06:21 PM
There are actually two "trends" I've noticed here on Intercot over the past several months that IN MY OPINION are "getting old"...

One is that if you still find value in, or still enjoy trips to Disney you are somehow a mindless person who will follow anything Disney does, you are drinking the Disney koolaid, surely you have no idea what is a good value in a vacation........and it goes on....

The other "trend" is that if you don't like even the smallest thing Disney does then surely you are a "Debbie Downer", only see the negative in a situation, your a whiner or complainer, you go looking for something to complain about, and clearly don't know what your talking about.....

Each one is about as annoying as the other, in my opinion of course!:thumbsup:Amen! :yes:

Look, INTERCOT brings together people who are fond of Disney World. So it's not surprising that people frequenting the boards are looking for some positive discussion. Otherwise our motto might be the Unofficial Website That Likes to Trash All Things Disney (well, that website might actually exist out there, but it's not INTERCOT!) But not everything is rosy with the Mouse and people should be able to give their honest opinion about things. It's all about balance and respect, IMO.

IMO, the old Fantasyland was never about flashy rides or attractions, more of a gentle place to entertain children and to help the rest of us recapture the child within. In that sense I think the New Fantasyland fits right in. But I do agree that other areas of Disney World could use a dose of creativity and excitement. It would be the best of both worlds.

epceddie
09-09-2013, 06:45 PM
My wife and I love returning to Disney every year to do the same things. We keep most of our visits to the MK and Epcot. We know what we like, we do what we like and we head back to the resort to relax and enjoy all of the other amenities that are available.
The new Fantasyland has been a great addition for families and that's wonderful. Anything that brings more enjoyment and wonder to the little ones at WDW is a good thing.
My wife and I have never been big fans of Fantasyland, so we don't spend a lot of time there. We use our time to get more enjoyment out of rides like the Haunted Mansion, POC, Buzz Lightyear, the Carousel of Progress and the People Mover.
I think it's great that the new Fantasyland is making so many people happy. That's what Disney is all about. There's magic everywhere you look and freedom of choice lets you do the things that make YOU happy.

Rosemickey68
09-10-2013, 06:18 AM
Thought Fantasyland was beautiful...especially at night! I can't wait for the mine roller coaster to open!
Love the fact that there are now 2 Dumbo rides which shortened the wait time....used to have to wait forever to get on before....in fact passed up riding it on several trips because of the wait....so that is a plus for us!
I enjoyed the Little Mermaid ride...thought it was cute and I love the music from the movie. I can see the comparison to the Nemo ride however...but I like it too!
We try to enjoy our trips to WDW and take everything in stride.
Different strokes for different folks! :mickey:

cer
09-10-2013, 12:11 PM
My first visit to Disney was in 1996. The castle was a big pink cake :ack:.

I am so very sorry. That pink cake was terrible!

...I guess the only one worse (or just as bad) was when Stitch vandalized the castle with graffiti and toilet paper! :stitch:

AndrewJackson
09-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Amen! :yes:

Look, INTERCOT brings together people who are fond of Disney World. So it's not surprising that people frequenting the boards are looking for some positive discussion. Otherwise our motto might be the Unofficial Website That Likes to Trash All Things Disney (well, that website might actually exist out there, but it's not INTERCOT!) But not everything is rosy with the Mouse and people should be able to give their honest opinion about things. It's all about balance and respect, IMO.

Yes. Balance and respect would mean that you post your opinion, and let others post their opinions. There is no need to repeat and repost your opinion in reply to everyone who disagrees. :offtopic:

Anyway, call it fluff, style, theme, whatever. The fluff is what makes it Disney. When Fantasyland is finished, it will have an additional E and D ride, a great restaurant, and awesome fluff. I love it.

Dulcee
09-11-2013, 08:01 AM
Belle's meet and greet is a waste of space... Great effects in the cottage only to be lost on story time...

Really? Watch the faces on any of the kids in the room and it will tell a far different story then a waste of space. Every little girl in that room believed Belle was standing in front of them. The little boy in a wheelchair who we watched play the beast spent those 15 minutes or so smiling so hard he had a hard time growling. And his father who pushed him through the skit may have actually been smiling more broadly then his son.

Even my 6'2" police officer DH's face showed how big of a success it was when Belle asked for his arm as the suit of armor.

I really thought the Belle attraction did what disney was all about, took a classic "meet and greet" and turned it into an experience most kids (and many adults) will remember at the end of the day. I think Imagineers knocked that one out of the park.

Melanie
09-11-2013, 08:05 AM
I really thought the Belle attraction did what disney was all about, took a classic "meet and greet" and turned it into an experience most kids (and many adults) will remember at the end of the day. I think Imagineers knocked that one out of the park.

Agreed! Very well done.

Jared
09-11-2013, 11:04 AM
Really? Watch the faces on any of the kids in the room and it will tell a far different story then a waste of space. Every little girl in that room believed Belle was standing in front of them. The little boy in a wheelchair who we watched play the beast spent those 15 minutes or so smiling so hard he had a hard time growling. And his father who pushed him through the skit may have actually been smiling more broadly then his son.

Even my 6'2" police officer DH's face showed how big of a success it was when Belle asked for his arm as the suit of armor.

I agree with most of this. I applaud Disney for attempting something better when it comes to meet and greets. I wish there was more to the attraction after the incredible effects at the beginning, but I still think it's a good effort overall.

angua85
09-11-2013, 11:24 AM
I apologize if this has been said already- I will admit I read the first page and last page and probably missed important stuff in between.

I like that the new Fantasyland provides additional square footage to spread the crowds out. In the past, Fantasyland has been so congested. So hopefully it will be less so on this year's and future visits. In my opinion, that was the intent of the expansion.

TikiLounger
09-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Um...I started reading this thread and decided to back away...slowly. :D

badkitty
09-11-2013, 01:46 PM

I agree. I teared up when Belle greeted the kids and was so sweet to them. The little boy who got to dance with Belle was so excited. It isn't for everyone but it is very well done and it is air-conditioned. :D

RavsRuleDisney!
09-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Hit it up this spring and overall it's Disney at its best. Really geared at the younger set but the area is themed well, looks cool at night, the carnival area is ok, the restaurant was really, really well done for an "in-park" dining option, but the kicker will be the Dwarf Coaster. If it is more BTMRR than Goofys Barnstormer that section is going to be packed!! Can you say fastpass.... :thumbsup:

My2Sons
09-13-2013, 02:21 PM
So this is more of an extension of this topic - than the original topic - but I have a related question.

I have all boys who usually choose to avoid princesses. However, I have a good friend who saw the Belle storytime and said we should try it anyway - she thought the boys would love it.

What are your thoughts as far as families with only boys? Worth the time?

Thanks!

MrPeetrie
09-13-2013, 03:08 PM
For me, this really is a half-full/half-empty analogy. I can see how some are less enthused about the expansion. After all, for all the hype and money, they've only added one ride (soon to be two), using existing technology, nothing breakthrough or exemplary. They've also added one attraction, plussed another existing ride (Dumbo), added a food place and some shopping. Not much if that's how you look at it.

But that's not how I see it. For me, it's as if Disney is flexing its financial muscle. If another (lesser park) was going to add the same attractions, shop, and eatery, they'd use one-quarter of the real estate, stack everything together tightly, and have them all surrounded with asphalt.

I view it as: when Disney wants to add a few attractions, Disney goes all out. They built, not one but two castles, added FIVE water areas, streams and falls, built an adorable fountain, added walking bridges, and made an elaborate setting with great theming and effects for a counter-service/table service restaurant.

My analogy is like playing Rollercoaster Tycoon. When you first start out and have limited funds, you just try to get money rolling in without getting fancy. You put in the basics without adding scenery. But, later in the challenge as the coffers become full, you get to be much more creative. You build the park you wanted to build. Disney only added an omni ride, plussed Dumbo, added a child's show (with a great effect), added some shops and restaurant, but did it all with such aplomb it's hard not to praise them. And when the new ride opens, it will only be better.

I can't wait to see the completed project.