PDA

View Full Version : Sales tax when renting points??

The Hitchhiking Ghost
08-02-2013, 12:36 PM
This might be a silly question. Not a DVC owner, although I seem to contemplate it annually, but just can't quite justify pulling the trigger on it right now.

Anyhow, for our next trip (not yet scheduled) I would like to make our first foray into the Deluxe categories (up to now only moderates and of late only POR as a family of 5) and renting DVC points seems like an attractive option.

What I'm wondering is, lets say, for easy math, I rent 200 points at the Timeshare Store for $10 a point for a one week stay, so that's $2,000. Is there any sales tax implications?

Staying on property at the resorts its easy to think, ok, $200 a night for 7 nights, so lets budget $1400, but then you forget, oops, basically add on another 12% for sales and resort taxes.

Just wondering, is this something I would have to budget for in renting points, or is it simply I buy 200 points and that's it.

For DVC owners, is that one of the sort of hidden advantages, when you book using DVC points you don't have to figure in sales and resort taxes?

As you can tell, I'm the one that has to set up the Disney budget for the family.

faline
08-02-2013, 12:41 PM
I'm not sure how things work when renting - but when booking a resort using points as an owner, the booking if for x number of points and that's it - no additional money to be paid when you arrive.

The one exception to this is when you use points at Aulani in Hawaii. There is an additional tax that needs to be paid there but the amount is quite small.

Basket Mommy
08-02-2013, 03:29 PM
I was under the impression that sales tax is only for sales, not rentals. If you're not buying, only renting, is there a "sales" tax? I worked at a video store when I was in college, and part of our script when signing people up said, "There's no sales tax, because you're renting, not buying." But that was in Alabama. Florida might have different rules.

Sorry I can't help, OP. We're DVC owners, so we just call & book with points. Have you considered buying through resale? That's how we've collected all 350 of our points. Saved a bundle!

dlpmikki
08-02-2013, 04:18 PM
I have rented out spare points a few times. No-one has said they were asked for more money and how would you do a % tax on points? I can't find it in black and white but I am pretty sure you don't pay sales tax on top.

VWL Mom
08-02-2013, 05:01 PM
If the transaction is done through a US broker the owner of the points is responsible to declare the income but the person using the points has no tax implications.

BugeyedMuggy
08-02-2013, 06:16 PM
What you rent per point is what you rent per point. No extra is added. If you rent from an out of the US (ex :Canada) your credit card may charge you an international fee. Not so with the Timeshare store (which is local).

TheDuckRocks
08-03-2013, 04:07 PM
We recently needed extra points for a stay. I rented them through the Timeshare Store and paid a flat fee per point. If there were taxes that was taken care of by the Timeshare Store. Easy, easy.

PetefromRI
08-04-2013, 11:01 AM
How much does the Timeshare Store charge per point? I've been using a very good service from Canada(twice) but I'd love to give my business to an Intercot sponsor instead.I didn't realize that they rented out points.Is the process easy?