PDA

View Full Version : Port Orleans: French Quarter or Riverside?

Main Street Jim
08-01-2013, 11:02 PM
OK, so we're down to where about we're staying on our Fall 2014 trip.

We've decided on Port Orleans, but have NOT decided on whether we'll stay at FQ or DL...I mean, Riverside.

Is there an online map/overhead shots of the resorts, where the several bus stops are located, etc.?

Any recommendations on room locations?

Haven't Googled anything yet, because I know y'all got my back :)

Thanks!

Patricia
08-01-2013, 11:24 PM
DL - :thumbsup: and FQ maps.

http://intercot.com/resorts/disney/maps/images/pofq07.JPG

I prefer Riverside Bayou myself, it's my favourite moderate resort . The buses will load at the stops clockwise. I have stayed in 18, 27, 39 and once tried the mansions 85. 18 was the closest but even better is a corner room, two windows for lots of light! The new Bayou rooms are cute, I stayed in one during Icot 15.

You can see on the map which buildings are close to the main building, but I never find it that far.. it's so pretty for walking, take your time and smell the roses. There are no elevators in the Bayou section so if that is required ask for mansions.

FQ only has the one bus stop.

gueli
08-02-2013, 02:19 AM
Our preference is FQ.
I like the smaller resort.
1 bus stop.
not overcrowded,

plus I like the theme...
:thumbsup:

Zippy 1
08-02-2013, 02:30 AM
Another vote for FQ. We loved the size of the resort! Everything was with in a short walk. It was great!

Tink1
08-02-2013, 08:18 AM
I love French Quarter - small, personal, great ambiance.

However, FQ has been excluded from a lot of the discounts lately. So that is something to consider as well.

Nanc

The Hitchhiking Ghost
08-02-2013, 10:05 AM
[removed reference to outside site]

We are a family of 5, so POR-AB is our favorite affordable option. Having stayed at both I do prefer POR, although hard to go wrong with either one. I think hands down POR has the better pool and kids slide as well as a better food court (although it can be busier). POR also has a sit down restaurant which FQ does not. Some people get turned off by the size of POR and its layout, but for me that's a plus. I find it relaxing walking the paths at POR in the heavily wooded/gardened walkways. Its very calming.

Plus, POR has the River Roost lounge with YeeHaa Bob, has boat rentals and themed rooms.

The good thing is that being sister resorts, other than the themed rooms, you can pretty much stay at either resort yet still experience what both have to offer.

DisneyEpcotDad
08-02-2013, 10:11 AM
:mickey: I've stayed at both FQ and Riverside and have actually jogged between both resorts and dined at each food court. FQ has the one bus stop and is a smaller resort. Rooms are a toss up also.:mickey:

We LOVE Disney
08-02-2013, 10:49 AM
[removed reference to outside link]

We are a family of 5, so POR-AB is our favorite affordable option. Having stayed at both I do prefer POR, although hard to go wrong with either one. I think hands down POR has the better pool and kids slide as well as a better food court (although it can be busier). POR also has a sit down restaurant which FQ does not. Some people get turned off by the size of POR and its layout, but for me that's a plus. I find it relaxing walking the paths at POR in the heavily wooded/gardened walkways. Its very calming.

Plus, POR has the River Roost lounge with YeeHaa Bob, has boat rentals and themed rooms.

The good thing is that being sister resorts, other than the themed rooms, you can pretty much stay at either resort yet still experience what both have to offer.

Totally agree with everything said here. We are also a family of 5 and consider this our Disney home :cloud9: We've stayed at Polynesian a couple of times and, while the rooms ARE bigger at Poly, we just LOVE POR! My kids are all much older (and bigger) now then when we started (they will be 20, 18 & 14 when we go next year) and we offered the Poly for the bigger rooms. They said they would rather "squish" and stay at POR.

Love the relaxing feel and love the quiet pools!

We have always gotten building 14 but a few years ago they turned that one (along with 15, 18 & 27) into preferred buildings. Which means, they charge you more to stay there.

brownie
08-02-2013, 11:17 AM
More pool options and better dining at Riverside, though you're only a walk away from Riverside if you stay at French Quarter. The one time we stayed at French Quarter, we had a river view room, which was really nice.

Main Street Jim
08-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the advice and suggestions :)

We'll let y'all know what we decide!

Opus X
08-04-2013, 07:50 PM
We just stayed at riverside in May and LOVED it!
VERY well themed and it is not as big as some will let on.
I walked from the back to the lobby and around the island...smoked a cigar and its not that big.
Alot of folks walk 20 yards and think its a mile.

But, the resort....:thumbsup: VERY nice.
We may try PORQ next time just to see....
But Riverside has piano Bob...and he really adds to the trip!!

Opus X
08-04-2013, 07:51 PM
[removed reference to outside site]

VERY well stated. It is a "close to deluxe resort" as there is.
We just love it!

WDWCrazyKaren
08-06-2013, 09:19 AM
My vote is FQ! We've stayed at both multiple times (our two favorite resorts), and while the food court and pools are much nicer at POR, we just love the small, intimate feel of FQ. Nothing is far away from the main hall, it's very quiet and relaxing. We love the quiet after busy days at the parks and restaurants.

TiggerFan13
08-06-2013, 09:23 AM
French Quarter - We will actually be staying there in a week and a 1/2.

Donald Duck
08-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Another vote for Riverside Alligator Bayou !

Love the theming !

AvonleaCF
08-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Stayed at Riverside twice, in the mansions both times. LOVE it there. Feels like a deluxe resort with the river out front and the beautiful buildings. Lots of quiet pools close by, and the bus stop is out back.

I like the amenities of the larger resort, personally. Buses were never an issue.

azcavalier
08-07-2013, 10:20 AM
Personally love Riverside, having stayed there about six times.

If you want to know everything there is about both Port Orleans resorts, just shoot me a private message, and i'll point you where to look. Can't post it here, as it's against board rules.

ginny57
08-07-2013, 10:33 AM
They are sister resorts so you can use the facilities at both which is a plus no matter which you select.

I liked the mansion...very Gone With The Wind like - not crazy about alligator bayou...kinda rustic and just not my taste. FQ is small and everything is so close which I love. New Orleans is one of my favorite cities so loved the feel of the place.

I guess I'd make my choice based on how much time you really hang at the resort and which atmosphere is more to your liking.

Have fun!

MNNHFLTX
08-07-2013, 11:28 AM
I have never stayed in the French Quarter section of POR, mainly because I much prefer the Riverside section. Out of three stays there, two have been in the Mansions and one in Alligator Bayou. Both have their pluses, but I like the Mansions a bit better--love the landscaping, theming and ambience along the river. I would suggest a garden view room--very peaceful.

Kenny1113
08-07-2013, 01:55 PM
While I haven't yet stayed at POR (it was Dixie landings when I did). I really like the size of FQ.

I think either way you'll be good. :thumbsup:

Main Street Jim
08-28-2013, 10:34 PM
Bus question on the loop around the resort: south, west, north, then east? Or...?

garymacd
08-29-2013, 09:09 PM
Mmm. Beignets!

Here we come in 82 days, ten hours.

We love FQ for its size.

And the beignets.

Did I mention the beignets?

magicofdisney
08-30-2013, 04:33 AM
Bus question on the loop around the resort: south, west, north, then east? Or...?
In my experience, south is first most of the the time. ONE time west was first and wouldn't you know we were using the south stop that trip. :mickey: