PDA

View Full Version : Food Competition Shows - Love them or Hate them?

AgentC
08-01-2013, 08:34 AM
I was catching up on our DVR this week and realized we had a bunch of food competition shows recorded- MasterChef, Food Network Star, Top Chef Masters. That doesn't even include the others we have watch Chopped, all the other Top Chefs, Cupcake Wars, America's Baking Competition. :eat:

And starting next week is Alton Brown's new show Cutthroat Kitchen where the contestants are encouraged to cheat. :plot:

I guess cooking competition's are hot. So what do you think? Love them? Hate them? What's your favorite? Your least favorite?

Dulcee
08-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Love 'em. I also love to cook so it isn't surprising.

Top Chef Masters and the regular seasons of Top Chef are my favorite. We also watch Master Chef and Hell's Kitchen.

Chopped is a solid standby when nothing else is on tv. I'm not as big of a fan of the baking competitions and to be honest I just couldn't get into food network star this year. Their food choices seem so boring compared to Top Chef.

And don't forget Iron Chef! I just introduced DH to the old Japanese version which is my personal favorite.

MNNHFLTX
08-01-2013, 08:56 AM
I don't love them or hate them, but I don't watch them either. I do chuckle, thinking about how my in-laws love to watch them, mainly because my MIL doesn't even like to cook.

AgentC
08-01-2013, 08:57 AM
And don't forget Iron Chef! I just introduced DH to the old Japanese version which is my personal favorite.

I love the Japanese version of Iron Chef! That is the first cooking competition show we ever watched.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
08-01-2013, 10:12 AM
We watch Hell's Kitchen, but I don't know that that can really be counted as a cooking competition show. I do like Gordon Ramsay's BBC produced shows, but again those aren't really competitions.

IamBelle
08-01-2013, 10:44 AM
I LOVE cooking competition shows! Right now, I really like Masterchef, Next Food Network Star as well as Hell's Kitchen and American Baking Competition (which just ended). Once in a while I watch Top Chef, which is okay. I really liked Around the World In 80 Plates, which was on last year and was a mix of the Amazing Race and a cooking competition, too bad it wasn't on again this summer!

SBETigg
08-01-2013, 11:05 AM
Love them! Currently enjoying Master Chef. Chopped is a big favorite. I prefer the Japanese Iron Chef but sometimes watch the American version.

Master Chef's Graham Elliot started following me on Twitter and I was pretty excited, followed him back (he followed me first!?). He has lost 54 pounds since filming the season (surgery).

Belle of the Ball 051411
08-01-2013, 11:19 AM
I love cooking and baking but honestly, I'm getting really tired of all of the cooking competition shows. I feel like Food Network barely shows any cooking shows anymore.

AgentC
08-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Master Chef's Graham Elliot started following me on Twitter and I was pretty excited, followed him back (he followed me first!?). He has lost 54 pounds since filming the season (surgery).

That is really cool!

Mickey'sGirl
08-01-2013, 12:16 PM
I love cooking and baking but honestly, I'm getting really tired of all of the cooking competition shows. I feel like Food Network barely shows any cooking shows anymore.I agree.

I don't mind Iron Chef, but I do not like the rest of them as a whole. I just don't like reality/competition shows that much.

tinkwest
08-01-2013, 03:17 PM
DH & I watch them. I would say he loves them and I am mostly along for the ride. The one I like the most is Top Chef. :chef:

BriarRose0708
08-02-2013, 10:08 AM
I am a fan of all things cooking shows but the only competition I like is Iron Chef America. Chopped is ok, but I only watch it when someone else does. I don't even watch Food Network that much anymore because it seems like all the programs are competitions, where Cooking Channel is 95% cooking programs which I like much better. I think it's hard for me to get behind a cooking competition because I can't taste the food and judge for myself, lol! I don't like the personalities of most of the contestants on any of those shows so there's nothing there to really draw me in.

Melanie
08-02-2013, 10:14 AM
The only one I religiously watch is Top Chef. I actually have plans next week to go eat at Spike's burger joint in DC. :) I watched Top Chef Masters last week for the first time, only because I wanted to see Brian Voltaggio. I really like him. Otherwise, I peek every now and then at Cupcake Wars, but that's it. None of the others have ever appealed to me.

jennbunn
08-08-2013, 01:30 AM
Hells kitchen is our family's favorite cooking show. I also watch chopped, iron chef, and setting my DVR to watch the food truck race.

Middle of the Map
10-13-2013, 11:15 PM
When they first came out with this concept, it was interesting. Now there are so many shows on, it's getting a little boring.

I don't like Gordon Ramsey YELLING all the time, and I hate the snippy attitudes of the judges. It's FOOD people, not rocket science.

MissMaryPoppins
11-18-2013, 01:47 AM
I loved Top Chef but I don't enjoy watching it anymore. There's too many egos, attitudes, and unlikeable people now. There's enough of that to deal with in real life, I don't want to see it while I'm watching TV.

AgentC
11-19-2013, 08:31 PM
I loved Top Chef but I don't enjoy watching it anymore. There's too many egos, attitudes, and unlikeable people now. There's enough of that to deal with in real life, I don't want to see it while I'm watching TV.

I'm finding that too. Or I start watching them and then I get bored.

tinkwest
11-19-2013, 11:28 PM
It's over now but we really enjoyed MasterChef Junior. The kids were supportive of each other. Not mean and nasty to each other like the adult contestants on the regular version of the show. However it was sad to see them cry when they were eliminated.

marlyn
11-19-2013, 11:51 PM
:down::down:

AgentC
11-20-2013, 12:41 AM
It's over now but we really enjoyed MasterChef Junior. The kids were supportive of each other. Not mean and nasty to each other like the adult contestants on the regular version of the show. However it was sad to see them cry when they were eliminated.

I agree Linda . I really liked it too and I was amazed by the talent of the kids but it was so sad when they were eliminated. I also likes seeing a more human side of Gordon Ramsey. One of my favorite moment was when the bowl of egg whites was dumped on him.

Simba's Mom
11-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Love Em! My favorites are Cupcake Wars, Food Network Star, Great Food Truck Race, and Restaraunt Express. Least favorites are Hell's Kitchen, Cutthroat Kitchen, and Guy's Grocery Games.
Remember the "Worst Cook in America"? I liked that one too.

Tiggerlovr9000
11-23-2013, 01:21 AM
I enjoy chopped, top chef and iron chef.