PDA

View Full Version : Pre-trip buyers remorse?

ValenciaCalling
07-31-2013, 01:12 PM
I figured you guys might understand. I'm a little at war with myself regarding the sticker shock of planning my trip. One minute I'm bouncing off the walls with excitement, and then I crash when I think about the cost of everything. I'm basically like Rapunzel the first day she's away from her tower. Is anyone else going through this right now? I mean, this trip isn't going to bankrupt me, and I definitely need a break from the daily grind, so I am definitely going...it's just...a little overwhelming at times...

faline
07-31-2013, 01:35 PM
Over time, there are a few trips I've made wherein I decided I would worry about the money piece later. I certainly wouldn't be taking a trip that was going to bankrupt me but there are times, when it's stretched the budget a bit out of my comfort zone.

Go, and ejoy.

Dulcee
07-31-2013, 01:49 PM
After our wedding we used a large part of wedding gifts to take a really nice Disney honeymoon. We loved every minute of that trip.

When we came home the hardwood floors I could have bought for my house but didn't (because we went on our trip instead) it nagged at me for a while that maybe we over spent on the trip. So I understand that buyers remorse at times.

We have our floors now, several months later then I would have liked, but we also have some awesome memories from that trip.

As long as its not making you financially unstable, take the trip. While not "tangible" I think the memories are well worth the cost.

Strmchsr
07-31-2013, 01:55 PM
There are definitely times when I dwell on all the things I could do with the money spent on a Disney trip, but then I think of the memories and those are priceless. There's a lot of other things I can do without for that time with my kids. I won't have them at this age much longer and I'm going to enjoy it while it's still magical for them.

Maggie T
07-31-2013, 02:03 PM
I also think of the I could have saved or spent else where but I am glad we did what we did. The memories are mine to live with. You can't take the money with you and if you keep spending on houses, cars, etc, things can get boring. Vacations are for you and your family to share and be a family. Enjoy your life

DisneyDINK
07-31-2013, 02:10 PM
When we came home the hardwood floors I could have bought for my house but didn't (because we went on our trip instead) it nagged at me for a while that maybe we over spent on the trip. So I understand that buyers remorse at times.

Opportunity cost: every time you buy something there is alwasy a next best choice. Disney vs. another vacation, Disnney vs. some home improvement, a big wedding vs. a downpayment on a home, etc., etc.

I guess you know there's a problem when the next best thing is someting you REALLY need.

Butters
07-31-2013, 02:44 PM
Could you cut back the cost and still go? Maybe move down a resort level or evaluate dining plan choice? Just a few suggestions if the budget is bothering you.

thads
07-31-2013, 03:51 PM
One thing that my wife and I always do is to find ways to make the money back. We will create a spreadsheet with all of the expenses, one for each row. Then we find income sources for each of those lines. We include little extra things like mileage reimbursements from work, garage sales, side job opportunities, etc. One time I sold a few inherited items, that I did not really want anyway on Craig's List. Those paid about 25% of our trip that year.

We never make it all back, but we typically can make back about half of the cost over a few months. That gets rid of a lot of the remorse for us.

kakn7294
07-31-2013, 03:54 PM
I understand that! In fact, this past June, we had a really nice trip planned with a stay at a Deluxe because of DD18's HS graduation. However, when it came right down to it, we couldn't justify spending the extra money for a place to sleep and shower with college looming on the horizon so we downgraded to a moderate and came away just as happy with the trip. We've stretched the budget in the past and sometimes it's worth it but sometimes it's just not. As long as you are happy in the end (and not bankrupt), that's what counts most.

mgmnut
07-31-2013, 04:17 PM
I am going through the same thing right now. There is always the stuff you always forget to think of that puts you over the edge of your budget when planning a vacation.

Resort / hotel...... check :thumbsup:
Airfare transportation...... Check :thumbsup:
Food budget.... Check :)
Attraction tickets... check :unsure:

Airport Parking.... oops almost forget :oops:

Boarding the family dog (or 3) for 10 days....oh, right ..... ouch! :pout:

Kids just need a few articles of clothing before the trip...... cha ching! :fit:

and so on, and so on :spend:

But, in the end it is a family vacation and I think it is important for the whole Family unit!

Like Chris said, the kids don't stay young forever and I am going to try to make the most memories we can all look back on.

spoiledraf
07-31-2013, 09:49 PM
We are contemplating a December trip right now. Retirement has changed our financial situation. I expect new discounts to come out tomorrow and if there are no room discounts the decision will have been made for us. We've taken two trips in the last four years and paid for the kids and grand kids. Those were really expensive but if I was willing to take on longer hours while working they were able to be paid for. But now, with constantly increasing prices (and decreasing service) what used to be a worth while investment in a memorable vacation has become a sacrifice in lifestyle. Gonna take a little budget juggling to make this trip happen. ( we've tried to save some $$$ at the value and moderate resorts and had bad experiences so mama says that is not an option )

brownie
07-31-2013, 11:00 PM
If you're having these feelings, I'd look at cutting back on some of the costs or delaying the trip. If it's causing you worry before you even go, that's going to take away from the enjoyment of your trip.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-04-2013, 12:52 PM
I think a vacation is like anything; if you wait until you can really afford it, it's never going to happen. How many people say they want to wait to have a baby until they can afford it. Well, that's never going to happen either, so just go for it. It will all work out in the end.

I put all my change in a jar and cash that in for my trip. I turn in my empty pepsi bottles and cans and that helps pay for stuff too. And I don't need to do sit down meals while I'm there so I eat counter service. Sometimes one actual meal a day is enough and then something little, like ice cream! for the other meal.
And having time share now (off property) I can buy stuff to snack on, eat for breakfast and I bring my own Pepsi and water into the parks as well. That saves a lot of money!

Go and enjoy.