PDA

View Full Version : Last minute thoughts on dining reservations

Jen1984
07-30-2013, 05:43 PM
So I'm leaving in a week but keep second guessing my dining plans! I have been keeping an eye out and there are still plenty of restaurants we would like to try with times available. We are staying off site, but are going to Ohana for dinner, Tusker House and Via Napoli for lunch - all of which we are really looking forward to. Our last 2 nights are staying at AKL, and we are having breakfast the first day at Boma, and lunch the last day at Sanaa.

However, I have also made reservations for the Fantasmic Dining Experience at Hollywood & Vine and Chef Mickey's. I am feeling a bit.... Underwhelmed by the reviews so not sure if I should just cancel now or stick with them? I have booked H&V as my stepson is autistic and would not be able to wait in the queue for Fantasmic, so is purely for the priority seating. We really like our food, and are reasonably adventurous. We tried Kouzzina last time and all LOVED it, but my family want to try something else this time. Any thoughts? We are a party of 3 adults and one 11 year old child.

Thank you!

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-30-2013, 06:09 PM
If you haven't done Chef Mickey's, you need to try it at least once. We didn't love it, but I know lots of people who really enjoy it.

I'm also very lukewarm on H&V. We found the food to be OK, but what we really didn't like was how noisy it is, which may be a challenge for your stepson. If you get a table a bit of the way, it would be better.

Mfarquar
07-31-2013, 11:06 AM
If you're not thrilled with Hollywood & Vine (it's been a while since we've been there - I remember the food being OK, but the restaurant was extremely cramped), is there availability at the Brown Derby? They offer the same Fantasmic! benefits if you book the package.

It is less crowded and definitely more quiet there, but I would not say it is stuffy in any way. There's even a little side room with tables that's usually very quiet if you think your stepson would enjoy that. We've always found the food to be pretty good here, especially the Cobb Salad and the Grapefruit cake. It's a bit more expensive, but I think it's a bigger bang for your buck. We've had luck with last-minute reservations here.

Jen1984
08-01-2013, 05:16 AM
I might try the Brown Derby then, it sounds good! The grapefruit cake sounds yummy!

I have eaten at Chef Mickeys and H&V but it was a LONG time ago- I remember my mum taking us as kids and being very happy as it was the first time we had seen vegetables any time that holiday! :-)

I have booked it for our last night, so the plan is to walk over to watch Wishes afterwards (or maybe see if we can watch from somewhere around the Contemporary)

Thanks for the advice!

VWL Mom
08-01-2013, 07:09 AM
I have booked it for our last night, so the plan is to walk over to watch Wishes afterwards (or maybe see if we can watch from somewhere around the Contemporary)

Thanks for the advice!
You can view Wishes from the 4th floor observation deck at the CR.

Jen1984
08-01-2013, 05:46 PM
You can view Wishes from the 4th floor observation deck at the CR.

Thank you!

chefmickey3
08-02-2013, 09:01 PM
We ate at Chef Mickey's last week and really enjoyed it! We had eaten there in the past but this time found the food offerings and quality much improved. Great character interaction and a great location. I vote keep it.

Jen1984
08-04-2013, 06:28 AM
That's great to know, thank you. Only 3 days to go now!