PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Park App Recommendation

mermaidmarian
07-30-2013, 05:42 PM
What mobile app do Intercoters feel works best? Do seasoned WDWers find these apps useful or just not worth the effort?

VWL Mom
07-30-2013, 06:39 PM
I think at this point My Disney Experience would be the way to go. You would have all your info plus ride times and fp in one spot.

mermaidmarian
07-30-2013, 07:27 PM
I am curious though - how does that differ from Disney Mobile Magic (also current/developed by Disney)?

VWL Mom
07-30-2013, 07:55 PM
I think it's actually the replacement. MDE runs the same as DMM but IMO is more on time and up to date. When we were there in June, my DMM wouldn't give me wait times or FP anymore. I'm not sure if that was just me.

mermaidmarian
07-30-2013, 08:05 PM
I can't tell which one is more current or what the main difference between them is. I DO see that there are issues with both programs working efficiently for some users - and I was curious if it was known whether that was an application, platform or service provider issue (or combination). Does anyone know?

I'll go with MDE on your recommendation.

GAN
07-30-2013, 08:59 PM
What mobile app do Intercoters feel works best? Do seasoned WDWers find these apps useful or just not worth the effort?

How are you looking to use it? For instance, I found MDE useful for dining reservations on short notice. But I thought the Touring Plans app was far more accurate for ride wait times, plus I liked the idea of being able to log your actual wait to help update the app.

mermaidmarian
07-31-2013, 06:00 AM
How are you looking to use it?

Excellent question. I really have no idea. Honestly, I don't even know whether it would be a useful thing or just a nuisance. Probably for wait times and maybe to check dining options at the last minute since we are generally "wingers".

DizneyRox
07-31-2013, 07:26 AM
MDE is a huge battery drain... I'd use it only if necessary... It is good for dining reservations, etc, but you can get pretty decent wait times in other apps. Battery drain was very noticeable earlier in July, and I wasn't even in the parks. Once I started killing the app after I was done using it, I did notice an improvement.

MDE does use/abuse GPS locations which could be a huge part of the drain.

mermaidmarian
07-31-2013, 08:14 AM
MDE is a huge battery drain... I'd use it only if necessary... It is good for dining reservations, etc, but you can get pretty decent wait times in other apps

That is SUPER HELPFUL feedback, b/c I hate battery drain.

Do you have any suggestions for "other apps" that will provide info on wait times, without the GPS updating and draining?

barnaby
07-31-2013, 11:57 AM
I found MDE to be slow, in comparison to other apps I run. I have only used it at home on my WIFI.

JPL
07-31-2013, 12:12 PM
I played around a little with MDE on my trip in June. The wait times along with FP distribution was very accurate. I would not rely on the free Disney Wi-Fi as I found that moving from zone to caused a problem especially around the hotels where they have a few different networks running

rjmdds
07-31-2013, 12:21 PM
How are you looking to use it? For instance, I found MDE useful for dining reservations on short notice. But I thought the Touring Plans app was far more accurate for ride wait times, plus I liked the idea of being able to log your actual wait to help update the app.

I agree with this. I used the Touring Plans all a lot last trip.

GAN
07-31-2013, 05:22 PM
MDE is a huge battery drain... I'd use it only if necessary... It is good for dining reservations, etc, but you can get pretty decent wait times in other apps. Battery drain was very noticeable earlier in July, and I wasn't even in the parks. Once I started killing the app after I was done using it, I did notice an improvement.

MDE does use/abuse GPS locations which could be a huge part of the drain.

I agree about the drain, but it never became a factor -at the end of each day my iPhone needed charging but that was with MDE, TP, and many pics/videos. If you like "winging" dining MDE is something that will be a huge asset. What's nice about it is you put in where you'll be, what time, and party size and it will give you your options -pretty slick. Chances of grabbing Le Cellier aren't great, but you'll have good options -not sure if it is "real-time" where if someone cancels something opens up but we had good luck. As I mentioned, Touring Plans was my choice for wait times but that was subscription based.

DizneyRox
07-31-2013, 06:09 PM
I agree about the drain, but it never became a factor -at the end of each day my iPhone needed charging but that was with MDE, TP, and many pics/videos.
We went to DTD one morning (little one was dead set on making a dinosaur). Decided we needed to make dinner reservations for that night. I was down to 83% battery before we got to DTD, got on the bus at like 99% No pictures, no video, what's twitter?

I expect to charge my phone at the end of the day, but my day goes well past 3pm normally...