PDA

View Full Version : Why were so many things broken yesterday?

eandrsmom
07-30-2013, 08:58 AM
We were at the MK yesterday, and were shocked to find several attractions down or not working as they should be working. I know that things break, but we've never seen so many things happen like this on the same day. The pre show for the Tiki Room was down, so we only had audio. (Even my DD6 noticed.) Each time we went to ride on one of the three mountains, they were down for repairs. (All three in one day!) On Winnie the Pooh, the interactive Hunny art in line was broken, and there was a computer notice on one of the graphics on the ride saying that a light bulb needed changing. To top things off, we waited a crazy amount of time at the end of the night, because they had to pull one of the monorails due to technical difficulties. I'm not saying that we didn't have a good time, but we just have never had this happen at a Disney park. I guess we're a little spoiled, because we're used to everything being maintained.

JerseyDad
07-30-2013, 09:24 AM
....maybe it was a full moon yesterday?? ;)

...it's unfortunate you ran into so many attraction glitches ....but I guess it was just a strange coincidence? We've had a few days like that ...where there was an issue with several of the attractions / rides ...etc ...but fortunately not all at one park.

chefmickey3
07-30-2013, 09:40 AM
Unfortunately, this seems to happen more than it did in the past. This summer we had few issues with attractions not being fully functional. We had commented that things were actually working! It is worth checking the My Disney Experience App before heading to an attraction - it always seemed up to date and we saved our feet a few times when an attraction was suddenly "temporarily unavailable".

Last summer, however, we had many, many issues. If you go often, it is worth emailing costumer service so they know how it impacts your vacation. Last year staying at BLT the monorail issues became really bad. To the point that I don't want to stay at the Poly or GF because you are dependent on boat transportation if the monorail is down. At least at BLT you have the option to walk. If you need the email, pm me.

DizneyFreak2002
07-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Must resist mentioning WDW's poor maintenance record over the last 10-15 years...

DizneyRox
07-30-2013, 01:13 PM
Must resist mentioning WDW's poor maintenance record over the last 10-15 years...
What maintenance record?

mydisneygirls
07-30-2013, 01:27 PM
We're paying more and more for everything so management gets paid a hefty salary to figure out ways to increase the prices even more instead of taking care of REAL business!!!!

Stu29573
07-30-2013, 05:00 PM
Because what was once a cutting edge customer service focused company is now a greedy bean counter kingdom.... And no one cares! Blindy follow the mouse!!!

DizneyFreak2002
07-30-2013, 06:24 PM
What maintenance record?
Exactly...

DizneyFreak2002
07-30-2013, 06:26 PM
Because what was once a cutting edge customer service focused company is now a greedy bean counter kingdom.... And no one cares! Blindy follow the mouse!!!
Told ya, pixie dust addiction is a life threatening (at least bank account threatening, college fund threatening) condition...

But, reading a lot of these posts lately, it warms my pixie dust free heart to see people waking up to the decline I have been talking about for a long time now... Funny, when I bring it up, people go into a rage... Maybe I do know what I am talking about cause my mind is free and not inflicted with the dust...

Stu29573
07-30-2013, 06:35 PM
Told ya, pixie dust addiction is a life threatening (at least bank account threatening, college fund threatening) condition...

But, reading a lot of these posts lately, it warms my pixie dust free heart to see people waking up to the decline I have been talking about for a long time now... Funny, when I bring it up, people go into a rage... Maybe I do know what I am talking about cause my mind is free and not inflicted with the dust...

Yeah, if you challenge their illusion they get rabid. The funny thing is that only by challenging it can change come. Just look at Disneyland.

Mgcamp
07-30-2013, 08:42 PM
I find it interesting that so many people that seem to see Disney as evil bother to spend such a large part of their lives posting to a Disney board.

Remember if you really hate Disney no one if forcing you go.

Main Street Jim
07-30-2013, 08:43 PM
Y'all shoulda been there Christmas Day, 2004.......

:secret:

DizneyFreak2002
07-30-2013, 09:22 PM
Yeah, if you challenge their illusion they get rabid. The funny thing is that only by challenging it can change come. Just look at Disneyland.
The problem with that Stu is WDW fans never know what they should complain about... Cut entertainment but jack up prices: WDW fans are okay with that... Poor show: WDW fans are okay with that... Broken AA's: WDW fans are okay with that... Put Starbucks on Main Street and WDW fans get in an uproar... WHAT?

Remember when Disney put show as its top priority (well of course not to safety)... Show trumped everything... Not anymore.. And they get defended... But, try to hold Disney to DISNEY'S own standards, and you are called names, they want you banned, they try to shut you up.. Maybe it is because they know you speak the truth and it hurts their head? I don't know...

I'll continue to speak up about the major decline in WDW... I'll continue to hold them to their high standard (which used to be high, now they just cater to the least common denominator)...

Stu29573
07-30-2013, 09:53 PM
The problem with that Stu is WDW fans never know what they should complain about... Cut entertainment but jack up prices: WDW fans are okay with that... Poor show: WDW fans are okay with that... Broken AA's: WDW fans are okay with that... Put Starbucks on Main Street and WDW fans get in an uproar... WHAT?

Remember when Disney put show as its top priority (well of course not to safety)... Show trumped everything... Not anymore.. And they get defended... But, try to hold Disney to DISNEY'S own standards, and you are called names, they want you banned, they try to shut you up.. Maybe it is because they know you speak the truth and it hurts their head? I don't know...

I'll continue to speak up about the major decline in WDW... I'll continue to hold them to their high standard (which used to be high, now they just cater to the least common denominator)...

You know, I'm probably never going back anyway due to many reasons. I'm done beating my head against a wall. Why should I care? I officially let the hand basket go.....

Arielfan98
07-30-2013, 10:49 PM
This is so disheartening to read especially since I just read a thread about Disney possibly charging FPs for guests not staying on property and how Disney is forming a caste system where only those privileged enough can afford a vacation there. I mean I know it has always been this way because Disney is a fortune but in the past it has been attainable for many families. I am upset however, that all this money families are paying is not going toward quality service. I do believe however eandrsmom, that all the malfunctions you experienced were a coincidence. I am fortunate I have never experienced such malfunctions on my vacations there.

MrPeetrie
07-31-2013, 06:45 AM
This post makes me sad. Disney went from the industry's leader, setting the standard others were trying achieve, to just another very nice 40-year-old theme park only with a hefty price tag.

Just look at our own personal attendance record. I think it's emblematic of what's taking place. We went from a twice-a-year visitor to a once-a-year visitor to now a twice-every-four-years visitor. It's becoming so expensive and really tough to justify the cost. And with TDO jacking up AP prices through the roof, we'll probably visit even more infrequently.

I can't remember the last time I bragged about how amazing WDW was to someone.

mcjaco
07-31-2013, 10:06 AM
I'll agree that the experience wasn't what it once was (like back in the 80's), but to proclaim Disney is now terrible, is ridiculous. Go to a Six Flags or Cedar Fair park. Tell me who is robbing you blind then?!

I've spent way too many trips to Disney to say it's not worthwhile, and to watch someone whose been there 7 times proclaim the end is coming??? Sample size people. SAMPLE SIZE. Over thrity visits, and yes some things have deteriorated, but I can't help to sit back and wonder how many of my visits when I was younger were rose colored, or was I so entranced with the magic, that I didn't notice things???

Disney is still the premiere destination for theme parks. I'll continue to go back, especially now that I have kids. I can't wait to see the look on their faces as we walk under the berm for the first time. It's still magical to me, everytime. So stay home, the lines will be shorter for my family! :P

Stu29573
07-31-2013, 10:51 AM
I'll agree that the experience wasn't what it once was (like back in the 80's), but to proclaim Disney is now terrible, is ridiculous. Go to a Six Flags or Cedar Fair park. Tell me who is robbing you blind then?!

I've spent way too many trips to Disney to say it's not worthwhile, and to watch someone whose been there 7 times proclaim the end is coming??? Sample size people. SAMPLE SIZE. Over thrity visits, and yes some things have deteriorated, but I can't help to sit back and wonder how many of my visits when I was younger were rose colored, or was I so entranced with the magic, that I didn't notice things???

Disney is still the premiere destination for theme parks. I'll continue to go back, especially now that I have kids. I can't wait to see the look on their faces as we walk under the berm for the first time. It's still magical to me, everytime. So stay home, the lines will be shorter for my family! :P

You are right. I should just shut up because I have only been seven times. Obviously, I have no right to an opinion. Goodbye, Intetcot.

mcjaco
07-31-2013, 11:43 AM
One, I was not directing my post at you directly.

It's pure mathematics. Someone that hasn't been there as many times is not going to have a greater experience base to gather information. Like I said, sample size.

As many times as I have gone, or any number of the other posters here (or anywhere else) that go multiple times a year, year after year, are going to have a better base to form an opinion on changes over the years. As I said, WDW is nothing like it was back in the 80's, but I also feel that many of my memories of it are probably skewed.

Everyone can have an opinion, and I love reading them all.

AgentC
07-31-2013, 11:53 AM

I honestly think these threads escalate because of the tone more than the actual issues.

I am right with you in believing that WDW has lots of room for improvement. I also believe lots of people have had horrendous experiences at WDW. I also believe lots of people have had magical experiences.

If you love WDW the way it is, it doesn't necessarily make you full of "pixie dust". If you have issues with WDW, it doesn't make you a Disney hater. We all have valid opinions and experiences.

In my opinion, these conversations would be much more constructive if we all calmly explained our viewpoints without trying to invalidate our fellow ICOT members viewpoints.

When any of us (and I do mean all of us not anyone person in particular) use rhetoric to prove our point, the point often gets lost.

Just something to think about. :)

lightyearfan
07-31-2013, 11:55 AM
This post makes me sad. Disney went from the industry's leader, setting the standard others were trying achieve, to just another very nice 40-year-old theme park only with a hefty price tag.

Just look at our own personal attendance record. I think it's emblematic of what's taking place. We went from a twice-a-year visitor to a once-a-year visitor to now a twice-every-four-years visitor. It's becoming so expensive and really tough to justify the cost. And with TDO jacking up AP prices through the roof, we'll probably visit even more infrequently.

I can't remember the last time I bragged about how amazing WDW was to someone.

you know what do you want disney to do? keep there prices to what they were back in the 80's?
everything that we come across in our daily everyday lives has gone up in price, and if disney is so expensive then y is it every single time that me and dw go the parks are jammed packed????? explain this to me, and im talking about september and octocber whem SCHOOL is supposed to be open, yet there is an 1hr wait to do haunted mansion? you kidding me here? again as i stated in a previous post disney isnt holding a gun to anyones head to make them vaca with them

Dulcee
07-31-2013, 12:02 PM
I honestly think these threads escalate because of the tone more than the actual issues.

Agreed. A little bit of respect for fellow members, even if their opinions vary from your own, goes a long way in keeping these boards friendly.

GoBlueLacheta
07-31-2013, 12:09 PM
I think we will all remember Disney as better because of nostalgia and growing up with it. The things we focus on change just as the parks have themselves. What I noticed when I was 8 is different than when i was 12, 16, 20, 25 etc.

Why would Disney change their operating model if people continue to show up in droves wanting more and more? It's like a baseball team that's terrible but sells out every game...if ownerships' bottom line is money, why put the best product out there? Hopefully competition will at least force their hand to continue to be innovative and develop new ideas that push consumer experience forward.

We continue to go back because our positive experiences definitely outweigh the poor. We compare to other options and as far as amusement parks are concerned even if Disney was operating at 50% of their potential it still destroys most of what else is out there across the U.S. The concrete unimaginative jungles that are just about pressing steel toward the sky don't exactly get me into a tizzy when planning a vacation.

Disney World has a lot of hotel rooms to fill, and they are enticing you to stay on property and never leave. The new FP and MagicBand and all that nonsense is about your dollars staying within those walls. I don't think it's about only allowing the financial "elite" to enjoy Disney, that's a ridiculous long-term business model.

In the end, Disney's shortcutting with their operational and customer service standards can always lead to a major decline in market share in Orlando.

Melanie
07-31-2013, 02:05 PM
:cop: MODERATOR ALERT! :cop:

In my opinion, these conversations would be much more constructive if we all calmly explained our viewpoints without trying to invalidate our fellow ICOT members viewpoints.

When any of us (and I do mean all of us not anyone person in particular) use rhetoric to prove our point, the point often gets lost.

Just something to think about. :)

Yes, this!

minnie04
07-31-2013, 03:07 PM
Any park that runs as much as WDW parks 12 hour days, 7 days a week, 365 days a year are going to have a few problems with maintains. You’re not going to make everyone happy all the time, so I would just suggest go when you feel like going and make the best of your own personal vacation. If you feel strongly about staying away please do, this way the people that enjoy going can have more room on the bus.:mickey:

This is just my opinion NOT directed at anyone lol. I just don't understand why some people get so upset when things happen. It's just life and things happen in life that we can't control. Trust me I notice things have changed big time over the years, but I’m only there for a short vacation and I’m not going to spend it complaining about what is wrong and what should change. When we go to the parks we go with the attitude that we are going to have a good time, not get upset that a ride is down or our room wasn't ready, food wasn't good enough, buses are to slow, etc.. I’m just saying relax its vacation an expensive one, YES, but we choose to be there. I just love going and I will keep going until I can't make it happen for my family. Then we will move on :mickey:

ls1jt
08-01-2013, 09:15 AM
I was there last week myself. Our last visit was the summer of 2011.

I noticed a big difference from that last trip to last week, in a positive way!

I felt the last trip had lots of little things that didn't work (Splash Mountain AA's, Illuminations Globe). The rides were all up and running, but just little things nagged me.

This last week, 7/2013, I didn't notice nearly as much broken or not working. I heard awhile back that New Fantasyland redirected a lot of people and priorities were changed for that time period. This time it seemed to be much better and cleaner too. Just my opinion though, we had a great vacation compared to the last time. I am a veteran too, this is probably visit #20 for me, so I have seen how stuff is supposed to look and work.