PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth - WDW turned off the 3D building models

Patricia
07-28-2013, 11:12 AM
I noticed this some time ago, but it hasn't been turned back on yet. It has been stated by others that Disney asked Google to have it turned off right around the same time they opened the new fantasyland. That makes no sense to me as they could have left that section out until they had new models.

There are some lingering models hanging in there, Spaceship Earth, a Captain EO sign.. World of Sports and the Swan and Dolphin (which don't really count). I'm sure there might be a couple of more I didn't see. I'm not sure why these appear if it is truly turned off?
But maybe someone with more maps knowledge can explain.

On WDW own page that introduces the 3D there is no mention of it being temporarily down - so we are left to wonder when or if it's coming back.

Disneyland Paris is still working. :mickey:

Disneyland Resort only ever had the monorail model working in 3D and google earth has since messed that up with the new bump maps that seem to be expanding.. I can't even explain the mess of that 3D. I've added a screen shot, but for the full dizzying Wonderland feel.. you'll have to go look for yourself.

So, what is everyones guess? Is WDW updating the models or letting them go the wayside?

SBETigg
07-28-2013, 01:01 PM
I have no idea, but I can't help wondering if maybe safety reasons or proprietary rights came into play? It's possible, maybe, that having the 3-D available would aid in planning attacks or stealing designs? I don't know. Or maybe they're just updating.

Patricia
07-28-2013, 10:40 PM
I hadn't thought of security.. interesting.