PDA

View Full Version : Episode 53 - It?s A Snoozer

John
07-25-2013, 10:40 AM
INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Episode 53
It’s a Snoozer!
The Cast: Melanie Bounds, Ian Mitchell, Christine Warner & John Yaglenski

- We hit all of our crutches out of the chute

- Transformers Opens and we were there – Christine says its great but likes Spiderman better

- Simpson yourself, Rock the Universe, King Kong coming back @ Universal

- Disney’s Hollywood Studios rumors -left side of the park gone? Where would Osborne Lights go? Expansion of Star Wars Brand. 2018?

- Where is Avatarland?

- Pairing down our collectibles - seems like most of us have stopped collecting. Clutter and the soft collectibles market.

- Starbucks in Main Street - INTERCOT approved minus the loss of the chocolate cake.

- Christine is over Limited Time Magic

- INTERCOT’s Take It or Leave It! Where is out theme people? Attractions / Rides on both coasts. Christine likes originality and says Leave It. Ian doesn't have a strong opinion but says Take It! Melanie wants to Leave It - and like Christine likes going to different parks just to see attractions. John splits the panel and says Take It!

- Thanks to our 2 listeners

- INTERCOT Kid’s shirts

- John is heading to Disney’s Hilton Head and will be reporting on it!

- Disneyland Tinkerbell Half Marathon and 10k added

- MagicBand discussion and accessories. John may be coming around. Wants a watch add-on to make the bands useful in day to day life. Ian just about loses it - take us to ludicrous speed! He then admits - John is on to something. Another great idea from INTERCOT Consulting.

- Galaxy Quest and Space Balls references both in one episode

- Halloween time at Disneyland Resort

- Grand Floridian Villas - Christine says looks lovely.

>> LISTEN, DOWNLOAD, LOVE, SHARE, TELL SOME FRIENDS... (http://www.intercot.com/interactive/insiderlive/2013/episode-53.asp)

DisneyDINK
07-25-2013, 11:06 AM
Who's dog was that barking?

John
07-25-2013, 11:53 AM
That was one of Christine's pack...

DisneyDINK
07-25-2013, 12:02 PM
You should have called this the "Background Noise" episode. Barking dogs, doors squeaking and loud chew toys. I'm only just over half way through. (You all do a good job, I'm just goofing on ya.)

And seriously Ian, another Castle Suite mention? :beat:

MN_Rose
07-25-2013, 02:42 PM
I'm one of those freaks who would totally buy some of the band accessories, especially if they end up with Dooney and Burke or Swarovski ones. I'll be at Magic Kingdom next week and am going to check them out! Thanks for the great (as always) podcast. You could do your next "Take it or Leave it" on the band accessories.

BriarRose0708
07-26-2013, 04:09 PM
I'm here and listening! I tend to listen in chunks and don't want to post a million responses for each 10 or 15 minute interval of Podcast and then by the time I'm done with an episode I forget all the comments I would have posted anyway. Maybe I should keep a pen and note pad next to the computer to jot down my thoughts!

Edit- Mel I just got back from a week in San Diego and it was WONDERFUL!!!! You will have a blast, and love the weather. Even in August the temps will be moderate and noooooo humidity. You guys should go to the Gaslight district, Old Town is really nice, and drive over the bridge to Coronado Island for a great view of the city and some cute shops/beach areas.

Quadstriker
07-26-2013, 04:36 PM
50% of your audience snickered whenever Mel or John referred to Hollywood Studios as "MGM".

tinkwest
07-26-2013, 05:30 PM
Take it. I have never been to WDW so I was very excited, for instance, when Tower of Terror came to Disneyland Resort. There wasn't another attraction like it. Off the top of my head I think most major attractions that have been duplicated have worked on both coasts. But don't overdo it. There needs to be uniqueness as well. Don't copy every little thing.

Favorite line of the show came from Ian. "Don't accessorize your park pass!"

Listening to you discuss the new Fastpass system and hearing how confusing it was to people familiar with Disney I can only say that I pity the unsuspecting and uninformed first time visitor.

Non Disney related FYI. It's the Gaslamp Quarter in downtown San Diego. The redevelopment over the last 20-25 years has been significant.

Melanie
07-26-2013, 07:54 PM
Edit- Mel I just got back from a week in San Diego and it was WONDERFUL!!!! You will have a blast, and love the weather. Even in August the temps will be moderate and noooooo humidity. You guys should go to the Gaslight district, Old Town is really nice, and drive over the bridge to Coronado Island for a great view of the city and some cute shops/beach areas.

Nikki, you've described everything my hubby has in store for me, with the exception of a Padres game (which shouldn't surprise anyone who knows us). Zoo, nah, not us. ;) So excited! I know you had fun. :)

Melanie
07-26-2013, 08:01 PM
favorite line of the show came from ian. "don't accessorize your park pass!"

A m e n!

Melanie
07-26-2013, 08:02 PM
50% of your audience snickered whenever Mel or John referred to Hollywood Studios as "MGM".

Yeah well, it is what it is. ;)

BriarRose0708
07-26-2013, 08:46 PM
Nikki, you've described everything my hubby has in store for me, with the exception of a Padres game (which shouldn't surprise anyone who knows us). Zoo, nah, not us. ;) So excited! I know you had fun. :)

The zoo was ok, but it was really hot! Truthfully, the National Zoo in DC is better. My dad and uncle went to a Padres game and had a great time, they even won! Another great thing to do in LA is when they don't have a home game you can go up the hill to Dodgers Stadium and walk around. We got some great views of the city from up there.

Quadstriker
07-27-2013, 01:01 AM
Wouldn't personally bling out my park pass, but if others want to, sure, go ahead.

I don't see why having the choice is such a bad thing. I have never been able to understand the stance of "I don't personally want to do it and although you doing it doesn't affect me in the slightest bit, it is bad and you should feel bad."

PirateLover
07-27-2013, 10:25 AM
Take it or Leave it- Siding with Ian and John in that I'll take it for the "classic" rides but I do think each park needs to have signature elements. I am on record on these boards as loving Carsland, but I don't want it to be simply recreated in WDW.
About the theme song- There are a few "Take it or Leave it" songs out there but on the whole they don't work as a theme song. There's one by The Strokes, Sublime with Rome, and the Rolling Stones. Every time I hear "Take it" though, I think of Janis Joplin's "Piece of my Heart." "Just TAKE IT!!":thumbsup:

California:
Disneyland in August- We hit a heat wave last year and it was brutal. Since the weather is typically beautiful there are hardly any shaded or air conditioned queues. :( Of course we still had the time of our lives. Hopefully you get nice weather for the race. San Diego- We went last year after our Disneyland trip for a few days and again had bizzaro weather. 1st day, when we went to Coronado Beach, it was FREEZING and we only stayed for about 15 minutes! The next day when we went to the zoo it was 84 degrees and 80 PERCENT HUMIDITY!?! Unheard of for the area. Very hot and sticky. That being said it was still a great time. We stayed at a hotel in the gaslight district and it was a great area. We also toured the USS Midway which was a lot of fun.

Magic Bands and Accessories- My husband pointed out to me that I'm totally going to be one who falls for this. I disagreed to an extent, but he's probably right. If I end up having to wear one of those things, I will likely buy the Muppets characters since I'm a sucker for everything and anything Muppets. I recognize it as a money grab, I realize I am part of the problem, and I will hate myself for it ever-so-slightly.;)

tinkwest
07-27-2013, 11:58 AM
Take It or Leave It - Rolling Stones

Buttercup
07-27-2013, 02:25 PM
First of all, what was that crazy noise at the end of the podcast?!?! Sounded like Mel was making some weird clucking noise! haha

I think that because you keep mentioning Jennsky and I (representing ALL of Canada!!!) we're going to wind up on the "girls who shall not be named" list!!! :cool:

I was also the one who tweeted that the Intercot music was being used in Niagara Falls during a weird jewelry cleaner infomercial late one night. I sat there watching the show for a minute trying to figure out WHY I knew that background music!!!

Anyway here are a few Take It Or Leave It suggestions:
- visiting a water park on every trip
- Disney Quest or Downtown Disney in general
- mini golf or other extra curricular activities (boat rentals & water sports, fishing, bike rentals or horseback riding etc.)

And my answer to this week's Take It Or Leave It:
I think having a few "flagship" Disney rides in each park is fine. Think Pirates, HM, all the Mountains, Dumbo, It's a Small World, etc etc etc. They are quintessential "Disney Park Rides". I think we've got enough of those now. They're "classics" and they deserve to be in each park. But I think going forward, each coast should get it's own thing now to differentiate the parks from each other. Soooo... I guess my answer is "Leave It"?

Quadstriker
07-27-2013, 03:39 PM
Instead of playing some old person song, I suggest opening every INTERCOT Take It or Leave It segment by playing the quote from Anchorman.

"I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back."

PirateLover
07-27-2013, 03:46 PM
Instead of playing some old person song, I suggest opening every INTERCOT Take It or Leave It segment by playing the quote from Anchorman.

"I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back."

YES. :thumbsup:

Melanie
07-27-2013, 05:09 PM
First of all, what was that crazy noise at the end of the podcast?!?! Sounded like Mel was making some weird clucking noise! haha

WHAT? Maybe I should go listen. :blush:

And yes, Canada, you are teetering on being "those who shall not be named." ;)

Melanie
07-27-2013, 05:13 PM
I don't see why having the choice is such a bad thing. I have never been able to understand the stance of "I don't personally want to do it and although you doing it doesn't affect me in the slightest bit, it is bad and you should feel bad."

If I came across as being judgmental whether you wanted to wear the wristband bling, I didn't mean to and I apologize. My beef with it all is totally with Disney and that it's a blatant money grab. Does it matter what I think? Nope, not in the least. But like I always say, I can choose to head west, where at least for now things are pretty much RFID free. Until all this is straightened out and the new stuff is firmly in place, we'll only be heading to WDW for runDisney events.

Scott C
07-27-2013, 10:37 PM
One flaw in the above arguments, is how do you determine what is a classic attraction. In the future, we might be able to look back and think that RSR is of course a classic and should be in all of the parks. Or then again it might not. We have to remember that PoC and HM were once new additions to Disneyland. Time has a way of changing how we look at things. Some things are remembered to be better than they actually were.

Thanks
Scott C

Quadstriker
07-28-2013, 02:19 PM
If I came across as being judgmental whether you wanted to wear the wristband bling, I didn't mean to and I apologize. My beef with it all is totally with Disney and that it's a blatant money grab. Does it matter what I think? Nope, not in the least. But like I always say, I can choose to head west, where at least for now things are pretty much RFID free. Until all this is straightened out and the new stuff is firmly in place, we'll only be heading to WDW for runDisney events.

My comments weren't directed at you or any individual person. I just see it sometimes on the boards. Mugs. Bands. Fastpasses. Anything new. "I don't like it and won't use it therefore it's bad and if you use it you are bad and Disney is bad and you should cry about your badness."

BriarRose0708
07-28-2013, 06:08 PM
My theme song pick would be Take Me or Leave Me from RENT!

Christine
07-28-2013, 08:48 PM
:blush: Apologies for Thor's barking- he's a 7 month Maltese puppy that has no off switch sometimes.

BrerGnat
07-29-2013, 09:27 AM
Take it! Mostly.

I like how there are duplicates of attractions at both coasts. It worked out really well for us when we lived near Disneyland and then we went to WDW and felt NO desire to ride Soarin', Toy Story Midway Mania, Pirates, Space Mountain, etc. We would just visit WDW's "unique" attractions.

However, I agree that HUGE stuff like Carsland, for example, should remain as Flagship attractions and not be duplicated. Even if they bring a different attraction to WDW, I think it's dumb that they are considering making a Carsland at WDW. It just doesn't make sense there. Let WDW have Star Wars land, and leave Carsland to the West Coast.

As to the Magic Band thing...I get the blinging out thing, but I personally probably won't do it. My kids...maybe. Doesn't really bother me, since no one will be forcing me to buy it. Like Crocs and those jibbitz. They are dumb, but my kids like them, and we've bought a few. Whatever.

Oh, and Ian, you are confused about FP+. Once it goes live, and you opt in, you CANNOT use the old FP system anymore. It's one of the other, and eventually, the old system will be gone. And, it IS only 3 FP+ per day and only in ONE park. Even if you just use one of your three, once you choose a park, you are locked into only THAT park. It's a bad setup, and maybe it will change, but for now, that's how it's set to work. Even if you "dump" the FP you don't use, once you choose MK for the day, that's it. You can't leave and get FP at another park later that same day. Rumor is, the FP+ allocations (quantity per day) will be tiered based on resort/package type you book.

GMRO
07-29-2013, 10:46 AM

I didn't take it as judgemental...

I agree with what ya said, although money-grab is a bit harsh?

Disney has found a way, always has, to sell magic and to "parket" aka - "park market" new stuff that WE all must have. Well many not everyone but a lot of folks will have to have it cause it's from Disney.

I don't mind the wristband and actually was laughing when I saw the FIRST pics of the accessories for it. Like Crocs and Jibbits. Holes in the shoes...so lets charge folks to plug the holes up with DISNEY JIBBITS!!! LOL

Great podcast. Kept me listening. And more great info on the runDisney stuff - THANK YOU!

ls1jt
07-29-2013, 11:14 AM

Heard it discussed on the podcast, we did the backstage magic tour and our guide hinted at work being done as we speak at AK. When it came up, he said something along the lines of "We don't know when it is going to happen yet, and that construction that is going on you saw has nothing to do with Avatar Land" - Wink..Wink..

Interesting!

JMTStone
07-29-2013, 02:00 PM
The pastry sandwich I loved so much for breakfast are gone. We went there just for breakfast to start my day. The gang would come by and sing the "Clang Clang" song while you sat and ate.

Ham and Egg sandwich GONE. Cookies we loved, sandwiches, chocolate cake, too. All replaced by something you can get on any corner. Starbucks pastries are not the same.

I'm not a Starbucks nut, its smells burnt.

Not. A. Fan.:(

GMRO
07-29-2013, 02:13 PM
I'm not a Starbucks nut, its smells burnt.

Not. A. Fan.:(

WE are not SB fans as well. We usually go to the Boardwalk Bakery IF we are having breakfast or that "Roll" place at Hollywood Studios. Can't think of the name. Usually we hit the food court at our resort or we have our GOOD Healthy stuff in our room as delivered by the Garden Grocer. Been using that service for years now.

Personally I don't like the mainstream chains getting into Disney. That is a big LEAVE IT!!!

I think Disney should have their OWN stuff be it danish/cookies/food etc. And I like their pizza too. Nothing like a "Peace Of Pizza" at 11:45PM while at the world!

I don't want to see Domino's or Papa John's on mainstreet next!

Hope you had a great trip...

Mendelson
07-29-2013, 02:26 PM
The zoo was ok, but it was really hot! Truthfully, the National Zoo in DC is better.

As someone who spends dozens and dozens of hours in the National Zoo every year, I could not disagree with this more. Comparing the National Zoo to the San Diego zoo is like comparing the county fair to the Magic Kingdom.

JMTStone
07-29-2013, 02:32 PM
My vote follows John exactly. Some attractions are especially "Disney" - Pirates, Small World, etc. and should be at all locations. But I do like that there are slight differences in the rides. When I went to DisneyLand the first time, I was surprised to see characters from Disney movies.

Ian
07-29-2013, 05:08 PM
My comments weren't directed at you or any individual person. I just see it sometimes on the boards. Mugs. Bands. Fastpasses. Anything new. "I don't like it and won't use it therefore it's bad and if you use it you are bad and Disney is bad and you should cry about your badness."My vehemence was tongue in cheek for effect. Clearly it's all up to personal preference. I will say, though, that it shows to me how deep people's loyalties are to Disney that they think it's reasonable for them to push out a new kind of park pass that everyone is going to be forced to use and then turn around and sell accessories for it. ;)

Melanie
07-29-2013, 05:33 PM
When I went to DisneyLand the first time, I was surprised to see characters from Disney movies.

In Small World? I love that touch.

DisneyDINK
07-30-2013, 12:48 PM
:blush: Apologies for Thor's barking- he's a 7 month Maltese puppy that has no off switch sometimes.

Let Thor bark. That's what puppies do. No worries.

This isn't a criticism, just an observation: Radio and podcasts are obviously not the same. Radio has a set of rules and is more carefully produced. Radio used to be VERY slick and professional. Somewhere along the line the on air personalities started letting listners behind the scenes by mentioning they have to "pay the bills" or announce the station call letters once an hour as required by the FCC. Later I recal a radio person explaining what "dead roll" was. Then you have people like Stern making the show partially about who was late to work, production dramas, etc. Many thought it unprofessional while others loved it. Podcasts run the gambit too. Me, I prefer things a bit on the raw side. "Imperfections" make the shows more fun.

GMRO
07-30-2013, 12:52 PM
Absolutely!!!

Let the puppies bark!

It adds flavor and is funny as do any sound effect you guys pop in.

Christine
07-30-2013, 01:47 PM
Let Thor bark. That's what puppies do. No worries.

Me, I prefer things a bit on the raw side. "Imperfections" make the shows more fun.

Absolutely!!!

Let the puppies bark!

It adds flavor and is funny as do any sound effect you guys pop in.

Thanks for understanding!! He's a hot mess!

I think it is funny to hear the ice cubes clinking thruout the podcast! :blush:

tinkwest
07-30-2013, 02:09 PM
The ice cube clinking is INTERCOT's podcast signature sound.

JMTStone
07-30-2013, 02:40 PM

No... he's the GOD OF THUNDER

Christine
07-30-2013, 03:44 PM
No... he's the GOD OF THUNDER

Ain't that the truth!!

Melanie
07-30-2013, 04:55 PM
I think it is funny to hear the ice cubes clinking thruout the podcast! :blush:

No ice cubes in :beer: , so it ain't me. ;)

GMRO
07-31-2013, 07:10 PM
Keep the recipe folks!!!

Love the added sound effects and background sounds.

Hmmm, any ice in wine glasses or is it mixed drinks instead? :secret:

DisneyBarb
08-01-2013, 06:58 PM
I as usual love your podcast! As I was listening today my friends at magical journeys were getting me free dining for our November trip! Kudos to all of them! Feel free to ask me to come on podcast to do a report! Ha ha

I love the studios but agree something needs to be done and in a big way! However would be sad if they could not keep the Osborne lights, can't imagine that they won't turn up somewhere!

Keep up the good work!

mjm
08-02-2013, 11:18 AM
Date and Time! Actually, I think it's been a while. :-)

Eisner.
Agree with Ian about how long it seems to take Disney to decide on things with Eisner gone. Eisner, at the beginning was a "let's get this done now" guy. Although Iger's in charge, it doesn't seem like there's one person to cut through all the red tape.

Pins.
Not to rub salt in a wound, but I've always heard you should buy the pins you want and like, not as an investment. It seems to me the pins have kind of gone the same way as Beanie Babys.

Limited Time Magic.
As someone who can't get to WDW frequently, I was upset about Limited Time Magic because I thought of it as one more thing I won't be able to see when I finally get back.

Take it or Leave it. Attractions at both parks.
I agree with John and Ian. Major attractions should be at both parks, like Pirates & Haunted Mansion. But I don't want everything to be the same.

Fast Passes and the ticket bands
I dunno. If it takes this much work to figure out, is the new system really a good idea?

Finally, it seems to me that instead of the ones with imagination being in charge, it's the accountants. I know that Disney has to make money, but Walt figured out how to be both an imagineer and a good businessman.

Septbride2002
08-08-2013, 08:15 PM
I finally got to the end of the podcast - I had to listen in sections.

I hope you guys continue to go back to the threads and talk about other people's reactions. That really is my favorite part of the podcast and I also makes it more of a community cast them.

Take it or leave it item - Take It. I like that there is some of the same rides on the different coast. Makes it fun to take note of the differences between them. I also like that there are different things as well.

While I don't care if people WANT to decorate their bands - however I think it is kind of silly. And also I do think it is nothing but a huge money grab for disney.

Amanda