PDA

View Full Version : Bell's Palsy

Jeri Lynn
07-21-2013, 08:06 PM
My 25 year old daughter was diagnosed yesterday with Bell's Palsy.
She is on prednisone, an anti viral medication, eye drops and oxicodone for pain.

I'd appreciate any info from people who have dealt with this before. Her neck pain seems to be what bothers her the most.

Katzateer
07-22-2013, 08:02 AM
Two of my relatives on my husbands side have had this.

My husband's cousin's wife was in her late 20's- early 30's. She did not have any lasting side effects that I am aware of. Just took awhile for her face to feel normal.

My mother in law was older- maybe 50 - when she began having problems. The doctor said her symptoms would go away. I believe she had some medicine and a cream. On one side of her face it sagged and the eye on that side dripped constantly. She was very self condense of the way her face looked but people that didn't know her before she got it I don't think they noticed
that much. But her drippy eye drove her crazy.
She lived into her 80's and her face did not get better.
Hope your daughter does as well as our cousin. I think the way it affected my mother in law was very rare.

Dulcee
07-22-2013, 09:05 AM
We had a close family friend have it. She had a very droopy left side of her face for about six months. She was in her early 20's when it happened. It wasn't fun while it occured but she has zero side effects left over from it now.

MissMaryPoppins
07-27-2013, 12:25 AM
I'm sorry for your daughter! I had it twice, when I was 6 and again at 17. The first time was a bad case of it. My dad worked nights and I was sleeping in my parents bed and my mom noticed something was wrong before I even woke up and thought I had a stroke. I had to go for therapy where they used some kind of electrical treatment that I assume was to stimulate the nerves. I was on prednisone but had to stop it because I had fluid around my heart. The second time I was on prednisone for a few weeks. I remember having a lot of pain behind my left ear and nothing really helped that. My tongue was numb and I had to sleep with a patch over my left eye because it wouldn't close. I got better pretty quickly the second time but the ear pain was pretty annoying. I hope your daughter feels better soon.

DisneyDog
07-29-2013, 03:14 PM
My husband had it about 6 years ago. It was right before he turned 40. It's good that she is taking prednisone. That will be a very important thing to help. My husband was very lucky, he has had virtually no lasting repercussions, although his smile is slightly crooked now. You wouldn't notice it if you didn't know him very well. It was a very scary thing to have happen. I hope that your daughter's recovery is quick.

MNNHFLTX
07-29-2013, 03:39 PM
My husband was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy as a child. Fortunately, it resolved within six months with no lasting effects. Most people do get better, especially if they're started on Prednisone fairly early. Hopefully that will be the case with your daughter. :fingers:

Ian
07-29-2013, 05:10 PM
PM me.

Jeri Lynn
07-29-2013, 07:01 PM
Thank you for all the responses. She is doing ok, she has finished her prednisone and anti-viral med but is now on Doxycycline because the doctor feels she could have lyme disease even though the tests come out negative. She does have all the same symptoms my son had when he was diagnosed with Lyme a couple years ago and she does work outside in a State Park.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is short lived!

DisneyDog
07-31-2013, 07:02 PM
They also tested my husband for Lyme and he also tested negative, several times. Then again, just a few weeks ago he ended up on antibiotics because he had a very clear bulls eye on the back of his leg. There was no denying that it was a tick bite, although he never saw a tick. The Lyme test came back negative.