PDA

View Full Version : Best counter service meals

MargaretMessler
07-21-2013, 03:08 PM
This next trip is a stretch-the-budget as-far-as-it-goes trip, so we were very excited to be able to get in on free dining, but as we are in a value resort it is the QS plan. Which is fine, because that jives better with how we tend to "spend" our dining dollars anyway.

That being said, we want to try some different places and foods than we have before. So give me your best counter service meals, particularly those in resorts close to the parks (i.e. MK monorail resorts, EPCOT resorts walkable from the Gateway...)

Pirate Granny
07-21-2013, 04:11 PM
Counter service IMO isn't the greatest at GF or WL. Both the poly and contemporary are better. Obviously there is only one counter service in each resort. I really don't like the BCV offerings and I believe BWV just up have a bakery, so none over there. My best is Riverside and make your own pasta, and A of A has lots of good stuff. We tend to eat CS at the parks and not resorts. Oh Yeah, Beaches and cream at the BC is NOT counter service, but table service...

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-21-2013, 05:43 PM
DTD-Wolfgang Puck Express (our favorite)
DHS-Starring Rolls-great sandwiches
AK-Flame Tree BBQ
MK-Columbia Harbor House
Wilderness Lodge-flatbreads were pretty decent
CSR-Pepper Market (love it)

2MuchWDFun
07-21-2013, 06:02 PM
EPCOT: Tangierine Cafe in Morocco is a must do every trip. It is very easy to split a meal here.
Looking forward to eating at Katsura Grill in Japan this trip.

MK: Have had good luck with Cosmic Rays Rib and Chicken combo(available after 4pm)--easy to split between two people.
We're excited to try Be Our Guest for lunch this trip. From everything I've read it sounds like a great CS option.

DTD: We love Wolfgang Puck Express, too!:thumbsup:

etibbetts
07-21-2013, 07:06 PM
We did the QSDP on our last trip and found you can get a lot of variety (it's not all just burgers). My favorite is Wolfgang Puck Express! We ended up eating there 4 times during our trip.

As others have mentioned Cosmic Rays is good. I like Sunshine Seasons at Epcot a lot too. As far as at resorts, I see you stayed at AOA this year already, I really liked their food court. The make your own pasta was good. I've found most of them to be relatively similar. Hope you have a good time!

Auroring Good Time
07-21-2013, 08:27 PM
I personally like the Yak & Yeti quick serve at Animal Kingdom. I also like the Cooke's of Dublin at DTD. Most of the quick service places at Epcot are very good. The ham and cheese croissant in France used to be a snack credit. It is a very good size. I used to have it for lunch often.

Scar
07-21-2013, 09:15 PM
Personaly, I would not take the time to visit a resort just for CS.

You should try as many of the World Showcase CS as possible.

Mickey'sGirl
07-22-2013, 08:14 AM

I completely agree with you.

I love the Tangierine Cafe!

YOu can now get sandwiches etc at the Patisserie in France, and at the Boardwalk Bakery (if you were visiting there for something to do).

Boardwalk Bakery:

Sandwiches
served with cucumber salad or chips
Main Lobster with buttered chive mayo on a split top roll $15.99
Roast Beef - with provolone, tomatoes, and lettuce with mustard horseradish on a kaiser roll $8.99
Fresh Mozzarella - with oven-dried tomatoes, arugula and herb aioli on focaccia $8.99
Oak-grilled Salmon with Neuske's bacon, watercress, pickled cucumbers, and chimichurri $11.99
Herb Pork Loin with creamy apple slaw on a kaiser roll $8.99
Smoked Turkey with vine-ripened tomatoes and leaf lettuce on country white bread $8.99

Daily Special
Your choice of Two
Quiche of the Day with side salad $9.99
Quiche of the Day with cup of soup $9.99
Cup of Soup with side salad $7.49
Soup of the Day $3.99

Salads
Baby Spinach with pickled shallots, prosciutto, tomatoes and soft-boiled eggs $8.29
add herb grilled chicken breast or marinated shrimp skewers for an additional $3.00
Apple Mixed Greens with dried cranberries and goat cheese with pomegranate vinaigrette $7.29
add herb grilled chicken breast or marinated shrimp skewers for an additional $3.00
Iceberg Wedge with Nueske's bacon, tomatoes and buttermilk blue cheese dressing $6.99

AmandaChan
07-22-2013, 09:39 AM
I am looking forward to try the new pasta cone things at the dockside diner.
Morocco has always been my fave CS. And I want to try Katsura the next time we go. I think I would totally be okay with a CS plan bc now that we are going with two small kids it's hard enough doing one sit down meal here at home. We rarely try it compared to how we used to eat out. I really hope we can do CS DP free next year bc we plan on driving as well and making the most of our $$$ next year where as before we just spent way too much. Our only must do sit down probably will be Biergarten.

mgmnut
07-22-2013, 09:42 AM
I personally like the Yak & Yeti quick serve at Animal Kingdom. I also like the Cooke's of Dublin at DTD. Most of the quick service places at Epcot are very good. The ham and cheese croissant in France used to be a snack credit. It is a very good size. I used to have it for lunch often.

We are also Fans of Yak and Yeti in AK, and I love the flakey Pies at Cooke's of Dublin Takeout at DTD.

We always eat at Columbia Harbour House and Pecos Bill in MK.

CanadianWDWFan
07-22-2013, 10:04 AM
We always eat at Columbia Harbour House ...
:thumbsup:

Columbia Harbour House is one of those hidden gems that not very many folks seem to know about.

TheDuckRocks
07-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Not at a park but soooooo worth the trip to Downtown Disney on every trip for us is......Wolfgang Puck Express.:thumbsup:

E-OR
07-22-2013, 02:01 PM
AK: Flame Tree Barbecue
MK: Be Our Guest
EPCOT: Katsura Grill - Japan
MGM: I have not found a place for counter service that I think is worth recommending

As far as resorts:
AKL - They have such different foods at their food court it's worth checking out. The African Stew is great.

JerseyDad
07-22-2013, 02:39 PM
...when someone asks about "best" counter service meals ...all that pops into my head is "variety". And when I think about variety ...I think about Cosmic Rays. There's a pretty good cross section of food to choose from ...(ribs & chicken are excellent ...and excellent value) ....and my daughter would always rave about the chicken soup ...before she became a vegetarian :confused: Since you always need to please someone ...this is a good choice.

...Wolfgang Puck Express is a can't miss establishment too ...great ...I mean ...really great food ...and a nice variety. We even ate breakfast there and it was wonderful...

MargaretMessler
07-22-2013, 03:22 PM

Oh we will definitely be frequenting WS, don't you worry :thumbsup:

After having been so many times, we're thinking it might be interesting to explore some others resorts in our non park time, in which case we might partake of their restaurants. I'm just not as familiar with those as the various park places so looking for opinions.

MargaretMessler
07-22-2013, 03:23 PM
AKL - They have such different foods at their food court it's worth checking out. The African Stew is great.

Hmmm....transportation here from MK, boatride?

4disneynuts
07-22-2013, 03:37 PM
One of our favorite resort counter service meals is the CBR dinner. I always get the turkey dinner and my DH gets the salmon dinner. You get a nice helping of meat and then two sides (quite a few to choose from) and a piece of cornbread, plus you get a drink and your dessert. Its a very good deal for quick service.

We also love FlameTree BBQ at AK (although not thrilled with their new desserts).

The flatbread pizza is also pretty good at WL.

We are going to try Cosmic Rays this trip as have not eaten there yet. It looks pretty good, nice variety to chose from.

Have a fantastic trip!:mickey:

steamboat willy
07-22-2013, 04:36 PM
Hmmm....transportation here from MK, boatride?

Bus ride. Not connected by water.

Scar
07-22-2013, 04:36 PM
After having been so many times, we're thinking it might be interesting to explore some others resorts in our non park time, in which case we might partake of their restaurants.

Oh... In that case, explore away. But I still can't recommend any resort CS (never ate at AKL CS.) In my experience, values have the the best CS, mods moderate, and deluxe the worst.

Jennifer_and_Chris
07-22-2013, 05:27 PM
Here are some of our favorites...

AK - Flame Tree BBQ for sure
AK - Yak n Yeti - love the Honey Chicken and egg rolls.

MK - Columbia Harbour House - specifically the Lobster Roll - can't wait to have this again!
MK - Pecos Bill Cafe - while this place is known for the burgers and fixin's, we ABSOLUTLEY love the Taco Salad and fixin's!

Poly - Captain Cooks - TONGA TOAST! Yes, the very same Tonga Toast and sausage from Kona Grill is served here for breakfast. Grab your tray of TT and bring it outside for breakfast al fresco by the pool watching the beach. If it's quiet enough, you just may hear the train of MK.... or is that my imagination :cloud9:

Boardwalk Bakery - Just remodeled... here there is another Lobster roll that will be tasting n 59 days!

Boardwalk to go - while it is your normal carnival food... where else can you get a footlong coney dog or corndog basket w/ fries or onion rings?

Hurricane Hanna's at Beach Club - I will be trying this in September and while the lobster and shrimp meal intrigues me, I'm more drawn to the drink list :marg:

MK - Be Our Guest - just be prepared to wait in line. But, it's psuedo table service so, I'd spend the time in line to visit.

EP - Sunshine seasons. Variety, always tastes fresh. The last time we were there, the Mongolian beef was awesome.

EP - Cantina - Nachos all the way.

EP - American Adventure - I've heard mixed reviews of this meal but, we are going to try it in 59 days!!! There is a steak and potatoes dinner at American Adventure. Yes, steak and potatoes over the counter. I think it's worth a shot.

DHS or Caseys in MK - Sounds kinds weird but, it actually is very good... The bbq hot dog with coleslaw. Grab a fork!

AoA -I am very intrigued by this Surf and Surf burger! The variety here is better than most IMO.

Mara at AKL - We loved the curry in a bowl here. Some of the best rotisere chicken that I've had at Disney was had here.

Trail's End Buffet has a to go menu. I'm not sure if that is included in Quick Service. But, prices for the to go menu are in line wth QS meals.

I think that's all that I can remember.... Hope it helps.

MargaretMessler
07-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Here are some of our favorites...

AK - Flame Tree BBQ for sure
AK - Yak n Yeti - love the Honey Chicken and egg rolls.
Both definitely on our list.

MK - Columbia Harbour House - specifically the Lobster Roll - can't wait to have this again!
MK - Pecos Bill Cafe - while this place is known for the burgers and fixin's, we ABSOLUTLEY love the Taco Salad and fixin's!
Wow, we could be traveling together! Both of these have also come up

Poly - Captain Cooks - TONGA TOAST! Yes, the very same Tonga Toast and sausage from Kona Grill is served here for breakfast. Grab your tray of TT and bring it outside for breakfast al fresco by the pool watching the beach. If it's quiet enough, you just may hear the train of MK.... or is that my imagination :cloud9:
We actually have a reservation for Kona Café for breakfast and I'm sure we will be trying the TT.

Boardwalk to go - while it is your normal carnival food... where else can you get a footlong coney dog or corndog basket w/ fries or onion rings?
You had me at footlong Coney!

MK - Be Our Guest - just be prepared to wait in line. But, it's psuedo table service so, I'd spend the time in line to visit.
We're gonna try it. Sounds delish!

EP - Sunshine seasons. Variety, always tastes fresh. The last time we were there, the Mongolian beef was awesome.
Are you sure you're not coming with us in September? :funny:

DHS or Caseys in MK - Sounds kinds weird but, it actually is very good... The bbq hot dog with coleslaw. Grab a fork!
Looking forward to Casey's actually. Corndog nuggets as a camping-out-for-the-parade snack!

What else we're looking at :
Columbia Harbour House
Katsura Grill
Lotus Blossom Café
Tangierine Café
Yorkshire County Fish Shop
Earl of Sandwich

Gee, you'd think all our time will be spent eating and drinking! :mickey:

Auroring Good Time
07-23-2013, 06:44 PM
For breakfast, DTD, Wolfgang Puck express for Breakfast pizza, YUM!

AvonleaCF
07-26-2013, 12:11 PM
All of my favs have already been listed. After so many trips, I definitely know which ones I like to hit the most.

MK
- Columbia Harbour House for either the chicken/fish combo or the tuna sandwich
- Pecos Bill just because of the awesome fixins bar
- Be Our Guest I'm still on the fence of trying; looks amazing, but I'm not sure I'm willing to spend the time in line and I'm not lining up at 10:30 in the morning for lunch

Epcot
- Sunshine Seasons in FW for either the sandwich or stir fry, and if you're on the DDP, the desserts are amazing
- Morocco or Mexico in WS, depending on mood and where I am

AK
- Flame Tree BBQ for the ribs/chicken combo
- Restaurantosaurus if I'm in the mood for a burger

Studios
- Studio Catering Company for the grilled chicken caesar wrap

DTD
- Wolfgang Puck Express! Will never go anywhere else there. Spaghetti with meatballs or a pizza