PDA

View Full Version : Wired Internet for Rooms

Goofy4TheWorld
07-19-2013, 10:49 PM
I am sick of wireless unreliability when on vacation (wifi or Verizon). Do the old wired Internet jacks still work in the resort rooms?

I am just completely fed up with wireless, I would rather use dialup.

kakn7294
07-20-2013, 12:14 AM
There were no wires for wired internet in our room at the CBR at the end of June. The wireless worked just fine for us.

greengeen
07-20-2013, 05:56 AM
No wired internet available, but the wireless has improved.

Pirate Granny
07-20-2013, 10:48 AM
I've never had an issue with the wireless at BCV, OKW, VWL or BLT

MargaretMessler
07-20-2013, 03:34 PM
There didn't appear to be any wired jacks at AoA, but I got great reception at the resort. In the parks, it was spotty.

I should add that it was the in park WI-FI that was spotty, I got great reception using my regular Verizon 4G.

Polynesian Dweller
07-20-2013, 08:16 PM
We have had great reception at the Poly on our trips. The parks will be slower, sometimes a lot, and there can be latencies to get connected. That's because there are so many people trying o use it and the wifi specification allows for only a fraction of the users that cellular can handle.

Wired LAN was supposed to be removed over time and apparently mostly has been. If there is any available, and I doubt there is by this time, it was not free.

JerseyDad
07-21-2013, 12:46 PM
....the WDW wi-fi (in room) can be touch and go sometimes. The only place that I've seen it be "really bad" (and hear others complain) was in AoA last year ...but I think they were still getting the bugs worked out. We were in POP while my brother's family was in AoA ...and we saw first hand how hard it was to get / stay connected. They actually moved him to another building in the Lion King section [which had only been open for 15 days when they checked in] to get slightly better reception to resolve that computer connectivity issue (it was a must to have the computer for my autistic nephew).

....while at POP we also had a few problems ...but they were very infrequent. When my wife had to do business on her computer, she just used either her Droid or Samsung Galaxy Tablet as a wi-fi hotspot to connect the laptops to the net.

....as a side note ....we also discovered that for some reason, AT&T was completely useless in the resorts or parks for both phone use or internet hot-spot set-up. (my brother has AT&T and it was a horror show)

....as for the parks ...I can't really say if there is an improvement or not ...I've heard good and bad regarding that but never had to use the wi-fi there. I just could never see myself carrying anything more "tech" to a park than my smartphone.

brownie
07-21-2013, 07:37 PM
The wireless was much improved when we were at Walt Disney World for ICOT15 over my earlier 2012 trips. I can't tell you if you could still plug in for an ethernet connection.

Spang88
07-21-2013, 11:09 PM
We had a heck of a time at the Cars AoA suites with the wifi in Nov 2012.

Those of us with AT&T also had poor reception. I usually had to exit the building to make a phone call

JerseyDad
07-22-2013, 01:29 PM
We had a heck of a time at the Cars AoA suites with the wifi in Nov 2012.

Those of us with AT&T also had poor reception. I usually had to exit the building to make a phone call

....exactly what happened with my brother. He was constantly complaining about having to go out of the building to make calls ....but then again, he also had issues elsewhere (parks, etc), so I think it's more of a phone carrier issue than the building, etc. Hopefully it's been fixed since last year....maybe AT&T has improved it's system too?

BigB
07-22-2013, 09:41 PM
I have an iPhone with AT&T and never had a problem inside ASMo. I make it a point not to use free Wi-Fi because it is unsecure. Once your device "remembers" an SSID it will automatically connect. Meaning a person can create a wireless hot spot and name it the same as Disney's Wi-Fi and then get into your device. But I'm a worry nerd, lol, about these kind of things.

brownie
07-23-2013, 12:41 PM
I make it a point not to use free Wi-Fi because it is unsecure. Once your device "remembers" an SSID it will automatically connect. Meaning a person can create a wireless hot spot and name it the same as Disney's Wi-Fi and then get into your device. But I'm a worry nerd, lol, about these kind of things.

You can always tell it to "forget it" after using it so it won't connect automatically.

lightyearfan
07-23-2013, 02:08 PM
I am sick of wireless unreliability when on vacation (wifi or Verizon). Do the old wired Internet jacks still work in the resort rooms?

I am just completely fed up with wireless, I would rather use dialup.

i wouldn't lose hope yet. i too had an issue with the in room wireless especially at AKL, but no issues at OKW/ Saratoga/ Vero Beach Resort, the wireless was fine i have Verizon and have never had an issue with calls

Victor