PDA

View Full Version : What type of planner are you?

ANG
07-19-2013, 09:04 AM
Are you more:

a super planner (180 day ADRs, parks days planned by EMH/weather/hours of operation)

or

a go with the flow (no ADRs, deciding which park each day when you get there)

Also, if you have young kids, do you think this influences the type of planner you are?

faline
07-19-2013, 09:16 AM
I'm somewhere in between and, it depends on the trip. There are some trips I've planned out in more detail - such as when we've traveled with others who have not gone to Disney a lot. Other trips, I've planned very little in advance and have gone with the flow.

I don't have young children. When I did, Disney was a very different place and the sort of planning that happens now just wasn't needed.

When our traveling party has included a little one, I can say we've done more planning than might be typical when we don't.

LauraF
07-19-2013, 09:41 AM
I'm a little of both.

We make our dining reservations in advance, but go the parks as we see fit, not based on our ADRs. It's not uncommon for my husband and I to look at each other and decide to go to a different park, just because.

Also in the no kids camp, so I can't advise there. :mickey:

DonaldDuckUSA
07-19-2013, 09:42 AM
I agree that it depends on what kind of trip you're having. We go a few times a year and so we don't try to cram everything in on one trip. We used to be SUPER crazy stressed planners with our ADRs and spreadsheets, but learned that, for us, that did not make for a fun trip AND that we didn't need to plan that way. We stopped being detailed and started getting smart!

We've adapted to doing our own level of planning which involves loose scheduling AROUND everyone else.

For meals, we either eat during less busy times, we find restaurants where you can order food from the bar, or we snack.

So if its busy, and we want a trip with good food, we'll PLAN on EPCOT (snacking around the world)! Or we'll plan being in HS around lunch time so we can sit at the bar at Prime Time, regardless of how busy it is we typically don't have to wait very long to sit. We usually have a car so we eat dinner off site at least one night.

We stay off site, so we plan on going to parks that don't have EMH. But part of our park planning is based around the way we're feeling. If we're feeling high energy we'll do MK. If we're wanting a relaxing day we'll do AK.

So it's our own version of planning, which is low stress for us. It's planning that goes with the flow.

We don't have kids, so I can't address that. I imagine some of our planning would not work with children. Like its easy two seats at the Prime Time bar, but three seats makes it a little more complicated. I'd be interested on reading how people with kids plan (for when I'm a planning mom!)

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-19-2013, 09:43 AM
I am a super planner. I would like to be more spontaneous about touring the parks though, so I'm trying to learn to be flexible.

caryrae
07-19-2013, 09:54 AM
We are go with the flow people. I think in all the times we have been to WDW I think we made ADR's twice. Sometimes we may decide which parks to go on which day ahead of time but usually we decide the night before each night what we want to do the next day. For us it's more relaxing to just do what we feel like when we are there then make all these plans and try to stick with them.

BuddyL4
07-19-2013, 10:30 AM
I feel more recently like I'm being pushed to be the super planner or what I call the stress planner. Like the stress of not getting the dinner Res I want if I don't do it at 180 days out. Knowing what park we will be in each day and the schedule so we don't miss our favorite activities. Now I have to think about FP+ for our trip and if I don't get that done will we get our favorite attractions in and their times as to not overlap a dinner Res and other stuff.:blowup: OK I'm done now, time to think of my happy place and calm down :mickey: wait, that's Disney World.

DisneyDINK
07-19-2013, 10:35 AM
I'm a super planner. Planning begins 9-10 months out. Color coded spreadsheet with ADRs, Park Hours, EHM info, pool time, nap time, flight info, estimated cost, transportation options, nighttime entertainment, packing list. Retentive, retentive, retentive! I'm not super strict about following the schedule, I will change some things on the fly based on weather and crowds. I don't actually plan each ride during the day, but I do have a plan of attach for the early mornings and getting fast passes.

It sounds a bit over-the-top, but if I just booked a last minute trip I'd be denying myself the fun of the planning. It might not sound like it, but it is fun and relaxing just killing some time planning the trip from time to time.

62 days until my first solo trip! :mickey:

VWL Mom
07-19-2013, 10:41 AM
I do ADRs for our must haves at 180 days but that's about the extent of planning. We normally eat later (and not in the parks) so we just go with the flow.

When my boys were little we pretty much didn't worry about ADRs. We relied on CS for them and after they were asleep we'd order room service. If we did feel like TS and they were up to the task, walk-ups were always available.

Dulcee
07-19-2013, 10:46 AM
I'm a super planner.

ADRs made 180 days out but before that I have my spreadsheet made with proposed parks on which days planned by morning, afternoon, evenings.

Things may change here or there once we arrive but I like things decided in advance for the most part.

For me, planning is fun. We don't have kids and only get to go every 3 years or so.

disneymom15
07-19-2013, 11:27 AM
We're more "go with the flow". We'll usually book 1 or 2 adr's in advance. We usually decide which park to go to while we're eating breakfast.

mgmnut
07-19-2013, 11:37 AM
I am a convert. I used to be the super Planner with color coded charts and defined schedule.

Now after so many trips we have a more relaxed approach. We still make some ADR's, we have a loose plan on what park on what day, but are always ready to change parks if we need.

We do have kids but they will be turning 16 in Sept. There was definately more planning involved in the earlier years. Now we just kind of go, hang out, and go with the flow.

Madame Leona
07-19-2013, 11:48 AM
I would like to be a laid back not planner but sadly that can't seem to happen. So, I book the absolute MUST restaurants for my kids (Chef Mickey's, Tucker House, Sci Fi) then sit back for the rest of the trip. We only set alarms for the breakfast days then it's more of a when we get there we get there kind of thing.

disney obsessed
07-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Color coded spreadsheets??? Makes me anxious just thinking about it!:blush:

I know how many days I will be there. I know where I will stay. I know how many park days I have. If I have a ticket for an event, mnsshp, then i know i will do that. I have been known to be driving home from soccer late saturday morning, make the decision to go, and be on the road early the next morning.

Its vacation. But with that being said, I also never take a list to the grocery store. I "experience" the grocery store.:D

minnie04
07-19-2013, 03:53 PM
Go with the flow!!! We tried getting up early when the kids were younger and that wasn't our style, so we opted to wake up and go when ever everyone was up and ready to start the day. I just did dinner reservations this last trip and I can tell you, I probably won't do that again. I was constantly watching my watch so we wouldn't be late. I like having the freedom of taking our time walking the park. We don't rush to the buses at the end of the night everything is just smooth sailing. I guess that's why the kids have enjoyed so much of Disney. They were never on a time clock My brother on the other hand is up at 7:00AM, showered, breakfast and ready to go (he has younger kids 12&5), but he is an early bird always, so we just meet up with them when we travel. :mickey:

Giggy
07-20-2013, 08:46 AM
Wouldn't describe us as super-planners. We make a plan of what park to do each day or (half-day) and we generally have vague battle plans on at the very least how we want to start the day. Generally book one character breakfast at AK.

I enjoy making the plan, working out when is the best day for each park and and drawing it up before the visit as it gets me in the Disney-mood. We aren't overly rigid with it though and will move plans around between days if for some reason it makes sense to do so.

Bascially enough plan to know what we are doing but flexibility to know things can change.

Mrs Bus Driver
07-20-2013, 11:51 AM
I suffer from ODPD (Obsessive Disney Planning Disorder).
Actually I make dinner reservations, I do plan around EMH and other factors. Also when and where I can get a reservation. For the daytime I look into things like which park is least crowded, create touring plans so we know where to go next. Then when we get there we usually catch the first bus to whatever park and all my plans are blown to the wind (except dinner). But I still have fun planning and the knowledge I have gained from planning comes in handy when deciding where to go next. ;)

merciantinkerbell
07-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Little bit of both. We decided which restaurants we HAD to do so booked those 180 days out and what day to do MNSSHP and got those tickets and rest of day decided pretty much the night before where we going the next day and even got into some restaurants through our concierge at hotel

IloveJack
07-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Definitely OCP (Obsessive Compulsive Planner - a term we coined on an old, old Disney board that no longer exists). I make ADRs at 180+10, plan park days based on how long they're open (we don't hop), and have a list of exactly what we pla to do inside the parks. I carry a small notebook, plus the notes app in my phone, that reminds me where we plan to eat each meal, what attractions to hit, etc.

However, this next trip will be my 8th, DH's 6th, etc. Plus, we will be taking our 5yo, 2yo, and 6mo on the trip. We learned three trips ago that having young children means flexibility. I've changed ADRs on the day before for a kid who was suddenly scared of characters, parked the strollers and carried the kids under umbrellas all night due to torrential rain, stopped for parades (when we couldn't have cared less) just because the DDs wanted to, etc.

I plan every detail because its my way of living our trip before we go. I have never followed the plan to a T, and know we won't this time either. But I just enjoy the planning.

DonLefNY
07-21-2013, 09:44 AM
Totally free wheelers here. We have days where we just take the first bus that comes along. Maybe one ADR per stay.

brownie
07-21-2013, 07:42 PM
I'll make Advance Dining Reservations as soon as I'm able to, so I'll have a general idea of what park(s) we'll be going to on each day of our trip at about the 180 day mark. I don't start checking the weather until 5-7 days out.

Disney4us2
07-21-2013, 11:30 PM
I usually have all our ADR's booked in advance. This time since I will be off and on site, I only have two meals booked. My DD's favorite Tokyo Dining and a new one for us Les Chefs. This time I am winging the meals. As far as the parks this trip. We will get some park time mixed in with house hunting.

Patricia
07-22-2013, 12:35 AM
Our trips have been so much easier as it's only two adults now. I only plan our resort (sometimes it's DTD resorts) and how many days we will spend in the parks to purchase passes and if we will attend a party such as MVSHP or MVMCP.

That's it. :mickey:

We eat whenever we want, wherever we can and grab a fastpass if one is available.

I'm sure that will all change again in a couple of years when I start bringing grandchildren. :blush:

DVC2004
07-24-2013, 05:05 PM
I am a non planner. Now, for the Disney trips at least. I make only one or two reservations for dining and that's it. Sometimes when I am there I'll call the same day and make one if I feel like it. I have been enough, i just don't care anymore. I want to go and do what I want now and just enjoy. Maybe if we have grandkids some day down the line I will go back to planning.

AvonleaCF
07-26-2013, 12:00 PM
Obsessive planner here! To the point where not only do I have my ADRs, but I went through the menus and figured out roughly how much my meals will be, and calculated the gratuity based on 20%. That way, I can tip in cash (I'm on the DDP), and not have to use my card for small amounts (I hate having multiple charges on my card for small amounts). I already figured out how many 5 dollar bills and how many singles I need and have them all stored away.

I also already made envelopes with tips for Mousekeeping (one per night).

I have a rough of idea of which park I'm going to for the first few days of the trip; after that, I play it by ear.

I don't, however, plan my days any further than that. I go with the flow depending on crowds and my mood (sometimes I'm in the mood to go quickly on everything, other times I just want to take my time and only go on a few things, and sometimes I want to go on a thrill ride, and other times I don't).

I also know, roughly, which CS and snacks I want, but again, I don't have a set plan. I figure that out then and there based on what I'm in the mood for.

So I plan, but I also keep a lot open. I have no idea how often I'll visit Stormalong Bay, nor which nights I'll stay for fireworks, nor how many parks per day (other than ADRs). No idea when I'll go on the monorail or when I'll visit DTD.

Dewdrop034
07-28-2013, 02:03 PM
I'm a bit of both. I like to plan right down to what to eat when we get off the magical express, but it usually all goes out the window when I get there and we go where our feet take us.

Kenny1113
07-28-2013, 03:08 PM
I'm another who is somewhere in between.

As my kids have gotten older I have found it easier to make ADRs in advance. I don't need a crystal ball to predict what their schedule/mood is going to be like on a particular day.

Cinderelley
07-30-2013, 01:42 PM
I will plan which park on which days and then reserve one adr each day at 180 days out. That's about it. We've been known to stray from that plan if we so desire while we're there.