PDA

View Full Version : Mainstreet Bakery-Starbucks?

Arielfan98
07-19-2013, 02:36 AM
So I haven't found a thread on this topic and if there is one please direct me to it, but I just wanted to know people's opinion on it since it opened. I myself am not much of a Starbucks person. My mom and sister love this idea and the fact that some menu items can be used on the DP. I however am a little upset by this because MS, USA was based on Walt's hometown, correct? I do not reckon his hometown had Starbucks and even if they do now I still think MS has lost some charm because of the Starbucks. Not to mention I liked getting my cinnamon roll from there :unsure: and I certainly do not feel like Gaston's Tavern is the correct place for it. Does anyone else feel this way?

My next trip is in mid-August so I will witness it for myself, but as of right now I am not happy with the Starbucks there.

faberj
07-19-2013, 07:23 AM
I like the idea of Starbucks, but not where they put it at MK. I am not a huge fan of Starbucks food items and will miss the MK bakery items. :(

VWL Mom
07-19-2013, 07:26 AM
Actually I didn't even notice the change from the outside when we were there. I did notice the inside looks much roomier, it was still busy but not cramped.

ANG
07-19-2013, 08:30 AM
I never visited the Bakery before it was Starbucks. But I really enjoyed seeing how well it was put together. They were very organized and both times we went, I got my coffee quickly.

I could take or leave it.

Arielfan98
07-19-2013, 04:45 PM
I like the idea of Starbucks, but not where they put it at MK. I am not a huge fan of Starbucks food items and will miss the MK bakery items. :(

I agree with you 100% I'm not against the idea of a Starbucks at MK, just the location.I feel like they could of squeezed it in the new Fantasyland rather than MS Bakery.

snowflakegirl
07-20-2013, 02:16 AM
I don't mind the idea in theory, but I am *seriously* going to miss some of those baked goods! I practically used to dream about the chocolate croissants and would always treat myself to one for breakfast as a way to start my day at the Magic Kingdom.

Polynesian Dweller
07-20-2013, 11:27 AM
I agree with you 100% I'm not against the idea of a Starbucks at MK, just the location.I feel like they could of squeezed it in the new Fantasyland rather than MS Bakery.

Hmm, was Sara Lee in Walt 's hometown. Actually no, they came into existence in 1935 and MS is supposed to be turn of the last century. But that didn't stop Sara Lee from being the sponsor starting in the 70's.

Really, this argument has been beaten to death. Sponsors have been a part of Disney parks and MS since opening day of Disneyland in 1955. There never has been an argument against sponsors on MS and Walt embraced the concept and had all kinds in his park. So let it go and just enjoy the Coca-Cola Casey's Corner across the street.

DisneyDawgette
07-20-2013, 11:40 AM
There never has been an argument against sponsors on MS and Walt embraced the concept and had all kinds in his park. So let it go and just enjoy the Coca-Cola Casey's Corner across the street.

:funny:

Never thought about it that way, but it definitely is a good point! Dole (you'll never hear a complaint there), Coke, Cisco, etc... Lots of sponsors present in Disney in areas where they would not be time-period/area relevant, yet they don't snag much controversy. Main Street hasn't been exempt either!

kakn7294
07-20-2013, 01:35 PM
I enjoyed the new Starbucks. The location is very well done from the light fixtures to the photos on the wall, making it look like it's been there all along. If you pay attention to those photos, it gives the appearance of a "backstory" and a family that established the location, much like many of the other attractions around WDW. While I too missed the cinnamon rolls, I thought it was rather nice to have the Starbucks selection of baked goods available as I feel that most locations that have baked goods all have the same items, MS bakery included. There was very little that was special or different anymore.

And I agree that sponsors have always been a part of WDW and probably always will be. One of my favorite sponsors has a little snack stand over in Adventureland...

Melanie
07-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Really, this argument has been beaten to death. Sponsors have been a part of Disney parks and MS since opening day of Disneyland in 1955. There never has been an argument against sponsors on MS and Walt embraced the concept and had all kinds in his park. So let it go and just enjoy the Coca-Cola Casey's Corner across the street.

I couldn't agree more and this is just as we discussed in previous threads. I can't wait to see the new Bakery!

Madame Leona
07-20-2013, 03:39 PM
I agree that sponsers are an important part of Disney HOWEVER Starbucks just does not interest me in the least. I LOVE Starbucks and I do grab one when I'm out and about but at Disney, I want something that I can't have at home. Dole is a great example of that....I cannot get a Dole Whip Float just anywhere. If Starbucks is going to be there, they should bring something unique to the relationship.

And I want the French Toast Loaf back somewhere in Disney!!!

Arielfan98
07-20-2013, 08:07 PM
True, true very good points with the sponsorship but once again I am not happy with the location. Perhaps if they left it with the same bakery products maybe I'd be happy but overall I am just not happy with it. I will say though after seeing a video of the interior I am put at ease that it does not look completely like the Starbucks in my area, but point is I'd rather it be somewhere else.

thejens
07-20-2013, 11:03 PM
Yes, Walt needed sponsors to fund his dream, but he was fanatical about quality and story and wanted to create something different. I think everyone's concern is not about Starbucks or Coca Cola as much as whether MK is turning into a mall with McDonalds and Starbucks and the same stuff you can get at Walmarts or Disney Store in the gift shops or does it offer a one of a kind, themed, immersive and dare I say, magical, experience.

I HATE going to the mall. I come to WDW because it tells a story, it enchants me, I am given an illusion of a happy, magical place. Starbucks says to me: get your caffeine and go to work! Mc Donald's says to me: hurry, get some "food" and rush off to your next destination. When I walked into Main Street bakery I didn't know that Sara Lee corporation was involved.

Yes, WDW needs a better cup of coffee, heaven knows!! Put Starbucks (or frankly just some brewed coffee) into the resorts if you must, or in into DTD, but seriously to replace an original part of Walt's park with the same coffee shop that every one of us has on our commute to work? This is not imagineering, this is a corporate America. This is, sadly, the mega corporate beast that stole Main Street from America! I'll bet every ones of our main streets have McDs and Starbucks and Wells Fargo and TGIF and CVS. Walt's was a little different and he was trying to recreate that, share that with us. Sorry, Walt.

I think the naysayers are not against Starbucks as much expecting a lot more imagination and story telling from the "happiest place on earth" and with a ticket price to match. If I want Starbucks I can do it a lot cheaper in my home town.

Arielfan98
07-20-2013, 11:11 PM
To be honest I'm not happy about Starbucks but I know it brings in a lot of $$$$, so I think a fair compromise would be to put it in another location that's NOT the main street bakery please -_- I felt like the coffee at WDW was fine and I only drank a cup in the morning. Either way I'm semi-happy about it because it is a great partnership with Disney and it makes my sister and mom happy and probably many other Disney-Starbucks fans. On the other hand like I've been saying from the get-go it was put in the wrong location.

Polynesian Dweller
07-21-2013, 12:16 AM
To be honest I'm not happy about Starbucks but I know it brings in a lot of $$$$, so I think a fair compromise would be to put it in another location that's NOT the main street bakery please -_- I felt like the coffee at WDW was fine and I only drank a cup in the morning. Either way I'm semi-happy about it because it is a great partnership with Disney and it makes my sister and mom happy and probably many other Disney-Starbucks fans. On the other hand like I've been saying from the get-go it was put in the wrong location.

You clearly believe that but haven't yet given a valid reason as many posts have pointed out. It's just your personal dislike which you are indeed entitled too. But it's just personal opinion not a reason why its the wrong location.

It's there, it's successful, and it is going to be there for quite some time. It really is time to get over it and die of something else as the phrase goes.

kakn7294
07-21-2013, 04:31 PM
Like most of what happens at WDW, it's there and we can't change that. Again, it's beautifully done and completely fits in. The décor is done in such a way that it does appear to have a backstory. No matter where it went in, somebody would have complained about it.

By the way, along the same side of MS, Arribas brothers sponsors the glass shop and Edie's ice cream (which I can get at my local Walmart), sponsors the Ice Cream Parlor. Among many others, Chevrolet sponsors Test Track, Siemen's sponsors Illuminations, as pointed out - Dole sponsors Aloha Isle, and the pavilions in World Showcase in Epcot were built and sponsored by the countries they represent.

Melanie
07-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Like most of what happens at WDW, it's there and we can't change that. Again, it's beautifully done and completely fits in. The décor is done in such a way that it does appear to have a backstory. No matter where it went in, somebody would have complained about it.

By the way, along the same side of MS, Arribas brothers sponsors the glass shop and Edie's ice cream (which I can get at my local Walmart), sponsors the Ice Cream Parlor. Among many others, Chevrolet sponsors Test Track, Siemen's sponsors Illuminations, as pointed out - Dole sponsors Aloha Isle, and the pavilions in World Showcase in Epcot were built and sponsored by the countries they represent.

:thumbsup:

CuteAsMinnie
07-31-2013, 11:17 PM
We were in WDW last week and all I will say on the subject is this:

DD(20) asked us to wait for her for a sec.
She entered what she thought was the Main Street Bakery (based on location by memory). She returned in about 15 seconds asking 'Why in the world is there a Starbucks where the Main Street Bakery is supposed to be?!?!?"

IamBelle
08-01-2013, 10:35 AM
This will be the first year ever that we probably won't eat breakfast on Main Street now that the Cinnamon Rolls are no longer at the bakery. :( I have never eaten anything from Starbucks...anyone have recommendations for something good for breakfast there? I really would like keep our tradition...and I'm too hungry in the morning to walk all the way to Gaston's for cinnamon rolls lol.

PlutoPlanet
08-01-2013, 12:33 PM
How much would it cost to build a Starbucks on the main street of Marceline, Missouri, Walt's boyhood home, and then say, "See, now we have a Starbucks on Main Street in the Magic Kingdom, too?"

CuteAsMinnie
08-01-2013, 01:31 PM
This will be the first year ever that we probably won't eat breakfast on Main Street now that the Cinnamon Rolls are no longer at the bakery. :( I have never eaten anything from Starbucks...anyone have recommendations for something good for breakfast there? I really would like keep our tradition...and I'm too hungry in the morning to walk all the way to Gaston's for cinnamon rolls lol.

Nope. It is all processed, frozen, defrosted, dry stuff.

Arielfan98
08-01-2013, 08:32 PM
We were in WDW last week and all I will say on the subject is this:

DD(20) asked us to wait for her for a sec.
She entered what she thought was the Main Street Bakery (based on location by memory). She returned in about 15 seconds asking 'Why in the world is there a Starbucks where the Main Street Bakery is supposed to be?!?!?"

Ha! that is a funny story! R.I.P MS Bakery

faberj
08-01-2013, 09:48 PM
I agree that sponsers are an important part of Disney HOWEVER Starbucks just does not interest me in the least. I LOVE Starbucks and I do grab one when I'm out and about but at Disney, I want something that I can't have at home. Dole is a great example of that....I cannot get a Dole Whip Float just anywhere. If Starbucks is going to be there, they should bring something unique to the relationship.

And I want the French Toast Loaf back somewhere in Disney!!!

Yum! I miss the French toast loaf too :(

MichaelMouse
08-04-2013, 12:55 AM
I was in WDW last week and I must say Disney Corporate got this one wrong big time.....

HUGE mistake.

It's one thing to serve Starbucks coffee, it's another to put a Starbucks outfitted cafe on main street....it just doesn't belong....no charm there.

No authentic baked goods. Just some lousy pound cake.....

You think they (Disney) would learn from the failure of trying to place a McDonalds kiosk in frontier land.....

I just don't get why they would fool around with main street....Walt is rolling!!!!!!!

JerseyDad
08-04-2013, 11:05 PM
I was in WDW last week and I must say Disney Corporate got this one wrong big time.....

.....HUGE mistake.....

No authentic baked goods. Just some lousy pound cake.....

....not to mention that they don't have any coffee worth drinking in there either.

Arielfan98
08-05-2013, 12:44 AM
Finally nice to see people agreeing with me. My only problem with Starbucks versus other Disney sponsors is that with Edy's ice cream for example, at least the ice cream is being sold in a Main Street themed parlor at the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor. Starbucks however is a completely different building with a different theme. I wish they kept the bakery and served Starbucks coffee.

snowflakegirl
08-05-2013, 02:05 AM
Starbucks however is a completely different building with a different theme. I wish they kept the bakery and served Starbucks coffee.

I thought I'd read that they'd kept the theming of the building and that CMs were wearing period costume, not Starbucks uniforms?

TinkerbellT421
08-05-2013, 08:15 AM
I personally could care less about Starbucks, however, I did recently enjoy some sort of white chocolate mocha frappuccino thing that was delicious, so my taste buds may have been changed from previously hating them to maybe finding one or two types of coffees I enjoy. I have seen a few pictures and honestly don't know if I could have told the difference between there having been the "main street bakery" versus now a Starbucks. Bottom line is, it is a popular brand that will continue to be popular, whether a hand full of people hate it or not. It happened, can't change it.

I may also be bias because I never even really enjoyed anything out of the main street bakery, but I just feel this topic has been :beat:

AgentC
08-05-2013, 08:26 AM
I thought I'd read that they'd kept the theming of the building and that CMs were wearing period costume, not Starbucks uniforms?

Yes, that is correct. The theming inside is similar but they did remove the seating area to have two lines and better traffic flow. The new bakery in France (which is not a Starbucks) also has an open area for the lines so I really do think it is more about traffic flow than making it feel like a Starbucks inside.

The outside looks pretty much the same as before other than a small Starbucks sign.

PlutoPlanet
08-05-2013, 12:00 PM
Does anyone know if the CMs at Starbucks are Disney CMs or Starbucks employees?

Arielfan98
08-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Does anyone know if the CMs at Starbucks are Disney CMs or Starbucks employees?

I'm not sure if this is correct, but I found this quote from a CM working at the Starbucks on MS:
"Yes, we are all Disney Cast Members and have spent the last few weeks training to learn how to make Starbucks drinks. Many of us have been with the company for years (including myself) and are all very excited to share this renovation with Walt Disney World guests."