PDA

View Full Version : The weirdest thing about Google Maps and Disney

Aurora
07-16-2013, 05:28 PM
I'm sure I'm not the only one who occasionally consults Google Maps for to see where exactly things are in Walt Disney World. Sometimes it's fun to see that the satellite view is out of date on something that has already been built but is under construction on Google Maps.

But the weirdest thing is changing time frames just by zooming in on something. I was looking at Pop Century and the Art of Animation resorts, and while zooming in, AA went from fully built and landscaped, complete with working pool, to a construction site the farther in you zoomed. Really disorienting. Check it out before it's updated!

mgmnut
07-16-2013, 06:10 PM
I just checked it out.. That is funny!

greengeen
07-16-2013, 08:09 PM
Same thing with the Villas Grand Floridian! Goes from mostly finished to nothing but mud flats as you zoom in. Funny you should mention because I just looked this morning...

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Thanks to both of you I just spent the last 15 minutes playing with google maps around Disney.

It was a fun 15 minutes! :)

Aurora
07-17-2013, 03:12 PM
Well, I just figured out what's going on. It's when the zoom is far enough in to change to the 45-degree angle that the dates are off. If you switch off the 45-degree, you can zoom in on the original picture.

:mickey:

Capt_redshirt
07-17-2013, 03:20 PM
there are 3 different cameras at work. when you are at a certain height the satellites are taking pictures. at another height they are taking pictures by plane. and at the lowest height the google cars and user photos are being used to stitch together pictures. the problem is google satellites are always working so they are more up to date but the others are usually done every 6-9 months.

Aurora
07-17-2013, 09:44 PM
there are 3 different cameras at work. when you are at a certain height the satellites are taking pictures. at another height they are taking pictures by plane. and at the lowest height the google cars and user photos are being used to stitch together pictures. the problem is google satellites are always working so they are more up to date but the others are usually done every 6-9 months.

That makes sense -- thanks for the explanation!

brie9877
07-18-2013, 10:05 AM
its been about 2 years since the construction at AOA, that a bit delayed lol