PDA

View Full Version : Plus sized girl questions...

michellerose1579
07-15-2013, 01:19 PM
Hi! I have been to Disney World twice and I must say that I was very pleased about how plus size friendly the rides are. I am a plus sized girl and I was able to enjoy every ride I went on comfortably. I will be going next year and wanted to ask about the new rides and Star Tours. Are the new rides in Magic Kingdom just as plus size friendly? Star Tours was something I wanted to do, but everytime I was at the park, it was closed. Is that ride plus size friendly? Just asking so I am not embarrassed when I get there and don't fit ::unsure::

DisneyGiant
07-15-2013, 01:55 PM
Star Tours is doable for plus sized folks - but it depends how plus sized you are. It can be a little tight. I am sure that they can make an accomodation if one can't fit in a seat. They remind me of airplane seats.

Not sure if the newer rides at the MK - but if I had to guess - I'd guess that they'd be ok.

Have fun!!! :mickey:

michellerose1579
07-15-2013, 01:58 PM
On an airplane, I need a seatbelt extender... hmmm

stephicakes
07-15-2013, 02:43 PM
The only new ride I went on in Fantasyland a couple of weeks ago was VoTLM (Voyage of The Little Mermaid). The "shell" vehicles are similar to the ones on 'The Seas with Nemo & Friends' and you would be fine. They normally seat 2 or 3 people - there are no seat dividers. Sorry, I can't speak for the other rides but someone will come along soon!

Happy Planning! :mickey:

EJS-Houston
07-15-2013, 03:31 PM

I know someone who needs a seatbelt extender on airplanes who rode Star Tours and didn't seem to have any problems at all.

SBETigg
07-15-2013, 05:20 PM
Disney seems to be mindful of all shapes and sizes when they make their attractions. I'm pretty sure you won't have any problems.

BigB
07-15-2013, 05:29 PM
I'm a bigger guy and do not have any issues with getting in and out of rides. Like the others have said it similar to airline seats. DW is probably one of the few places that the belts always seem to be plenty long.
DG and I came back from Bush Gardens Virginia and I was a little tight in the roller coasters. I had to **** it in for the belts to fasten.

mechanic
07-15-2013, 06:06 PM
at 6'2" and #340. the only ride i was uncomfortable on was space mountain.
star tours was no problem, nor were mission space, or little mermaid.
never did peter pans flight, always wondered if that would be tight?

Basket Mommy
07-15-2013, 09:44 PM
I've ridden everything in Magic Kingdom comfortably. On smaller planes I need the seat belt extender. On others I can just barely get it to buckle. As for the new stuff in MK Fantasyland, I've only ridden Voyage of the Little Mermaid (no problem fitting me and my 12 YO son in one shell) and Dumbo (again, I fit fine with my 10 YO son on that one). I'm sure the new Mine Train will be fine once it's up and running.

MargaretMessler
07-16-2013, 03:21 PM
I am a plus sized girl and had no problems with Star Tours, and rode Voyage of the Little Mermaid with no problems either. And most of my plus sized-ness is in the middle, if that matters.

PETE FROM NYC
07-16-2013, 05:09 PM
DW and I are both ultra-large. I'm over 300, she is around 400. We both have trouble w/ some rides. She does not fit in Star Tours, Dinosaur, and a few others. Dinosaur is hard for us to get in and out of. TSM, we got squished into and had problems getting out. Rides like Nemo, HM, Peter Pan, we just take one car each.

michellerose1579
07-16-2013, 05:33 PM
Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan, Nemo I have had no problems with. I remember Dinosaur being a little uncomfortable.. I really wanted to ride star tours. Im hoping I will fit!

GoldenDreams
07-16-2013, 11:23 PM
The only ride car I have ever found difficult to navigate is the Honey Pots in the Winnie the Pooh ride. The lap bar is somewhat in the way when you go to get into the car and it seems a little tight or awkward to get by it, but once you are seated, it should be fine.

Auroring Good Time
07-17-2013, 09:31 PM
For size reference, I used to wear a size 22-24 and never had a problem with any of the rides at Disney including Star Tours. Universal is another matter though:(

tiggerbuddy
07-21-2013, 12:50 PM
Yes, This one is tough...

i was uncomfortable on was space mountain.

texas211
07-27-2013, 07:19 PM

I do to. Its not a problem. On Star Tours, a CM will gently point you towards certain seats that have larger/longer seatbelts.

I havent had a problem on any rides, at WDW. Some are close. Though I do have to crouch a bit on Haunted Mansion. Soarin I just have to sit down w/ the seatbelt in hand to buckle. Dinosaur is snug too, but same thing. Its all about technique. For me, it helps to pull the seatbelt up, then sit down and buckle it. Whats harder for me, is how low the rides are and standing back up.

Now Universal. Different story. I thought I was going to have to get cut out of the Dudley Do right log.

kakn7294
07-28-2013, 02:29 AM
On an airplane, I need a seatbelt extender... hmmmMe too and I can ride absolutely everything at WDW without any problems although sometimes things are a tight fit.

I do to. Its not a problem. On Star Tours, a CM will gently point you towards certain seats that have larger/longer seatbelts.

I havent had a problem on any rides, at WDW. Some are close. Though I do have to crouch a bit on Haunted Mansion. Soarin I just have to sit down w/ the seatbelt in hand to buckle. Dinosaur is snug too, but same thing. Its all about technique. For me, it helps to pull the seatbelt up, then sit down and buckle it. Whats harder for me, is how low the rides are and standing back up.

I've never had a CM point me to a larger seat or one with a longer seatbelt (but they all have fit me). My technique for dealing with most WDW seatbelts is to pull the seatbelt out as far as it will go and fasten it while I'm standing then sit down and tighten it.

mom2morgan
07-28-2013, 09:26 PM
Now Universal. Different story. I thought I was going to have to get cut out of the Dudley Do right log.
OMG, I'm laughing so hard right now! I was SURE that I was going to need to get the CM and my husband to haul me out of that one bodily - I DID manage to get out on my own but it sure was NOT graceful and my legs ended up bruised!!! What a dreadful moment. And since my husband is a pretty big guy (in a muscly way) our log REALLY went down hard in the splash down zone. It was a fun ride but NOT a fun dismount ;-)

mom2morgan
07-28-2013, 09:29 PM
Me too and I can ride absolutely everything at WDW without any problems although sometimes things are a tight fit.

I've never had a CM point me to a larger seat or one with a longer seatbelt (but they all have fit me). My technique for dealing with most WDW seatbelts is to pull the seatbelt out as far as it will go and fasten it while I'm standing then sit down and tighten it.

Yup - I did that in September and it worked on everything. At the time I weighed 315 pounds, wore a size 28-30 and was 65 inches around the hips. I can be brutally honest now that I've lost more than 50 ;-) and I know that it will help the original poster to have some exact dimensions to compare to. I really wish someone had been able to give me specific information when I went in September - there was stuff I didn't even try at Universal and SeaWorld because I was afraid of being embarrassed.

texas211
07-28-2013, 09:51 PM
Me too and I can ride absolutely everything at WDW without any problems although sometimes things are a tight fit.

I believe the first seats (first to leave) on certain rows. They have a different color tab on them. Love star tours.

The Kali River Rapids have special seats too, with longer seatbelts.

Im 300lbs, and can get on everything at Disney.

However, the wetsuits they carry for the Nemo/Living seas snorkel/scuba experience are smaller. Seaworld carries up to like 20x or something.

ransam
07-29-2013, 10:47 AM
I have to get two seats when i fly. I weight about 350.
I have never had a problem riding any disney ride. None. I can't say the same for Universal. I have rode the star tours and the new rides at fantasyland. you will have no problems.