PDA

View Full Version : Let's Keep Each Other Updated On Fridge Replacements...

mickeys_princess_mom
07-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Headed to the Poly in a few weeks. Would love to hear if those refrigerators have been replaced before our visit. Perhaps we could let friends on Intercot know as we take our trips and discover the status of the latest progress being made replacing the fridges at each resort...

:wave:

BrerGnat
07-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Sounds like a good idea.

We'll be at the WL in a little under a month. I'll report back when I'm there.

terri110874
07-15-2013, 11:57 AM
We will be at POP in 37 days. I will post if there is one in my room. (I hope I do get one!)

#1donaldfan
07-15-2013, 12:15 PM
I will be at AKL Aug 4th !! I will let you know !!:thumbsup:

MargaretMessler
07-16-2013, 03:27 PM
Sounds like a great idea! I've got All Star Movies covered for September just post Labor Day. :thumbsup:

mechanic
07-16-2013, 03:59 PM
i may have missed something, but pop and asm both had refrigerator on my april trip.

4disneynuts
07-16-2013, 04:01 PM
We are at CBR in October. Would be great if someone could keep us updated to. Thank You!:thumbsup:

Scar
07-16-2013, 05:07 PM
i may have missed something, but pop and asm both had refrigerator on my april trip.

You may have missed this news. (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=200198)

magicofdisney
07-16-2013, 05:15 PM
Does anyone know if suite refrigerators are included? I was thinking since they've been around longer, they may not be included in the recalls.

Potentially I'll be in a suite in September so I can update as well.

mamatedd
07-17-2013, 07:44 PM
We checked into the Poly, yesterday, and have a nice cold fridge. We're in Tahiti, 3rd floor. :thumbsup:

mickeys_princess_mom
07-17-2013, 09:35 PM
We checked into the Poly, yesterday, and have a nice cold fridge. We're in Tahiti, 3rd floor. :thumbsup:

:papple: :yay: :tikki:

Scorpiosammy
07-17-2013, 09:36 PM

Thank goodness, thanks for sharing! I will be there in September :thumbsup::mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
07-17-2013, 10:28 PM

That seems to confirm some rumors that they had already started replacing fridges as the rooms are vacated. Good to hear.

BuddyL4
07-17-2013, 11:04 PM
We are at the Contemporary last week August, will let you know :mickey:

mechanic
07-18-2013, 03:28 AM
You may have missed this news. (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=200198)

i did miss that. thanks for the link.

2disneyfans
07-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Is it allowable to check a cooler when flying? (Has anyone ever done it, I mean. I have checked the airline website and it seems like it would be okay.). We purchased 4 seats via Southwest/AirTran and can check 8 items that is included with our tickets. I am just wondering about anyone's personal experience. Our cooler would be empty while on the plane.

Pally
07-21-2013, 02:57 PM
Has it affected any of the grocery delivery businesses. Can you image having ordered a grocery order and not finding out until you arrived that you don't have a fridge!

I bet it has put a dent in business.

DisneyFan1979
07-23-2013, 09:04 AM
I'd love to hear confirmation from any guests that the fridges in the Swan and Dolphin are unaffected. We're currently booked in the Beach Club and may have to switch our reservations there if the fridge issue doesn't get resolved by our late September trip. Due to certain dietary restrictions it's essential that we have a fridge to keep things we buy at the supermarket that are not available at the resort store.

Tekneek
07-23-2013, 10:23 AM
If the fridge is supposed to be standard in your room, but is now not available, is Disney offering some sort of alternative? Maybe a cooler, or a space allocation in a Disney fridge?

brownie
07-23-2013, 12:39 PM
I'd love to hear confirmation from any guests that the fridges in the Swan and Dolphin are unaffected.

Give them a call. If I had to guess, I'd say that the Swan/Dolphin won't be affected by this.

If the fridge is supposed to be standard in your room, but is now not available, is Disney offering some sort of alternative? Maybe a cooler, or a space allocation in a Disney fridge?

Ha, good one. We'll be waiting for them to replace the fridges.

Goofy4TheWorld
07-23-2013, 09:18 PM
I just heard that the new refrigerator over at The Carousel of Progress now holds more food than ice cubes! It's a great big beautiful tomorrow indeed!

:D

Lindsey
07-24-2013, 05:10 PM
I will be at AKL Aug 4th !! I will let you know !!:thumbsup:

That would be great, I'll be staying at AKL in early October. If I don't get a fridge that's fine, but I would certainly like one.

mickeys_princess_mom
07-24-2013, 09:16 PM
I just heard that the new refrigerator over at The Carousel of Progress now holds more food than ice cubes! It's a great big beautiful tomorrow indeed!

:D

:D :funny:

Crow
07-25-2013, 02:32 PM
:D :funny:

yea probably colder than the ones in the resorts were

#1donaldfan
07-26-2013, 12:10 PM
That would be great, I'll be staying at AKL in early October. If I don't get a fridge that's fine, but I would certainly like one.

Me too !! Love my cold water !!! :thumbsup:

Strmchsr
07-26-2013, 07:04 PM
Okay - just got back from WDW and spoke with the GM of Pop Century while I was there. Here's the deal on the fridges. They were a problem from day 1, but not a safety hazard. They broke constantly and did not cool as they were supposed to. We all knew that. The supplier did not fulfill their end of the maintenance agreement so it was one big nasty mess. Well, very recently there have been multiple safety issues which caused Disney to pull the plug (literally and figuratively) on this company and these fridges. But the safety issues came on quite suddenly, which did not allow a smooth transition process. Disney also doesn't have a big warehouse where they can dump all the useless fridges at the moment, so they have all been deactivated and are sitting in the rooms with a note on them explaining that the fridge cannot be used. Disney is currently taking bids and negotiating with a couple of companies to replace all the current fridges with new models. Once a company has been selected and the negotiations are complete the replacements will begin. That's where they are being so nebulous on the timeframe and are expecting 3-4 months. They do have a very limited number for medical purposes only and they are a new model. They worked quite nice. My DS has to keep his insulin cool so we had one the medical fridges and it worked way better than the old ones. But, they unfortunately cannot guarantee even a medical fridge. If it comes to it, they will store the medicine in the fridge at bell services. No, that's not ideal but it's the only option right now. So, all fridges across the whole resort are current out of service and will remain soon for the foreseeable future. The GM thought it would be 1-2 months at the earliest before the switchover process could even begin and would then take 1-2 months to finish.

mickeys_princess_mom
07-26-2013, 11:42 PM
OK, gonna throw the styrofoam ice chest in the car. Not stressing about it. Thanks for the info!

smallworld
07-27-2013, 07:58 AM
Chris, thanks for posting that information on the fridges that are available for medical purposes. I have a question if you don't mind. Could you tell me how big the fridge was that you had at Pop Century?

We will be at WDW next month and I called Disney to ask about the fridge situation. One of my kids is on the autism spectrum and has some very particular food issues related to texture and smell of foods. It isn't strictly a medical issue but we always like to have that fridge so we know for sure we have foods available that he'll eat. When I mentioned this to the person at WDW, she said "No problem, I'm going to mark on your reservation that you have a medical need for a fridge." So that's good, but now I'm wondering how much refrigerated food we can order for delivery. With the old fridges, I had a good sense of how much we could have delivered. Any info or advice for me?

Strmchsr
07-27-2013, 08:54 AM
Could you tell me how big the fridge was that you had at Pop Century?

It was a little smaller than the normal fridges that were in the room. It was a "cube" as opposed to the "dorm fridge" that has been in there. About 1.7 cubic feet if I had to guess. I have one in my office that size and it was similar, so it doesn't hold a lot, but at least it's something for you.

No freezer but it cooled well.

JerseyDad
07-27-2013, 01:41 PM
Okay - just got back from WDW and spoke with the GM of Pop Century while I was there. Here's the deal on the fridges. They were a problem from day 1, but not a safety hazard. They broke constantly and did not cool as they were supposed to. We all knew that. The supplier did not fulfill their end of the maintenance agreement so it was one big nasty mess. Well, very recently there have been multiple safety issues which caused Disney to pull the plug (literally and figuratively) on this company and these fridges. But the safety issues came on quite suddenly, which did not allow a smooth transition process. Disney also doesn't have a big warehouse where they can dump all the useless fridges at the moment, so they have all been deactivated and are sitting in the rooms with a note on them explaining that the fridge cannot be used. Disney is currently taking bids and negotiating with a couple of companies to replace all the current fridges with new models. Once a company has been selected and the negotiations are complete the replacements will begin. That's where they are being so nebulous on the timeframe and are expecting 3-4 months. They do have a very limited number for medical purposes only and they are a new model. They worked quite nice. My DS has to keep his insulin cool so we had one the medical fridges and it worked way better than the old ones. But, they unfortunately cannot guarantee even a medical fridge. If it comes to it, they will store the medicine in the fridge at bell services. No, that's not ideal but it's the only option right now. So, all fridges across the whole resort are current out of service and will remain soon for the foreseeable future. The GM thought it would be 1-2 months at the earliest before the switchover process could even begin and would then take 1-2 months to finish.

...since you seem to have your "ear to the tracks" regarding this replacement issue ...see if you can find out what brand of fridge will take the place of the old ones ....I want to buy stock in that company before they sell 25,000 units!! ;)

Strmchsr
07-27-2013, 03:25 PM
...since you seem to have your "ear to the tracks" regarding this replacement issue ...see if you can find out what brand of fridge will take the place of the old ones ....I want to buy stock in that company before they sell 25,000 units!! ;)

lol, no problem. If I hear anything I'll let you know. :thumbsup:

smallworld
07-28-2013, 12:01 AM
It was a little smaller than the normal fridges that were in the room. It was a "cube" as opposed to the "dorm fridge" that has been in there. About 1.7 cubic feet if I had to guess. I have one in my office that size and it was similar, so it doesn't hold a lot, but at least it's something for you.

No freezer but it cooled well.

Thanks for the helpful info! I appreciate it.

BugeyedMuggy
07-28-2013, 07:21 AM
Does anyone know if this also effects the fridges in the DVC studios? They are different than the ones in the regular rooms.

Strmchsr
07-28-2013, 08:08 AM
Does anyone know if this also effects the fridges in the DVC studios? They are different than the ones in the regular rooms.

DVC is not impacted by this.

BugeyedMuggy
07-28-2013, 10:56 AM
DVC is not impacted by this.

Thanks so much for all your very useful information.

disneymomma2010
07-29-2013, 12:42 AM
I would love it if someone can keep us posted about Riverside. We will be there in September!

LarryBoy
07-29-2013, 11:38 PM
I'm at ASM right now and my room has a fridge. Was flew this trip, and I was not expecting one. So we have nothing to put in it, but we've got a refrigerator none the less.

Crow
07-30-2013, 12:37 AM
an actual fridge and not that cooler type..hm could they have replaced some already.

Strmchsr
07-30-2013, 08:18 AM
an actual fridge and not that cooler type..hm could they have replaced some already.

No. None of have been replaced (see my post above). Whatever fridge is in any room would be one that had been fairly recently replaced, that they had deemed "safe." It's also possible it was overlooked. Fridges are still in every room on property. They've just been unplugged with a sign put on them explaining why they aren't to be used. I suppose one other possibility is a guest removed the sign and plugged it back in and housekeeping missed that.

brownie
07-30-2013, 08:27 AM
No. None of have been replaced (see my post above). Whatever fridge is in any room would be one that had been fairly recently replaced, that they had deemed "safe." It's also possible it was overlooked. Fridges are still in every room on property. They've just been unplugged with a sign put on them explaining why they aren't to be used. I suppose one other possibility is a guest removed the sign and plugged it back in and housekeeping missed that.

We don't even know if it was on; LarryBoy didn't really say anything other than there was a fridge in the room.

JerseyDad
07-30-2013, 08:32 AM

...and I'll echo the above. My oldest daughter has a few friends that work at WDW in various capacities ...and they told her yesterday that the old "fridges" have, so far, only been unplugged ...and a sign placed upon them indicating that they are not working. (I would hope the signs would also warn the guests to not plug them in?)

....I've already picked out a cooler to bring (from one of many I have) that will fit nicely in the back of my wife's mini-van. I did a 'test-fit' to see which would be the best .....and which I could pack stuff into during our drive. It's got wheels and a handle ....so it'll be easy to get to the room from the car. It's sort of like having an 'insulated suitcase'.

AvonleaCF
07-30-2013, 09:11 AM
I was just gonna say, what's going to stop someone from plugging it right back in and using it?

I keep going back-and-forth between trying to have a zen attitude towards it and dealing with not having one, and being really ticked off about the entire thing, especially since a fridge is supposed to come standard in a room and one can plan meals around having it to save money. It may just be a "convenience," but fridges are now fairly standard in most hotel chains. It really puts a bummer on the vacation. And I don't really want to go out and buy a soft-sided cooler just for one vacation (flying down and using ME so won't have a car).

It's just really frustrating and a let down.

Hammer
07-30-2013, 09:48 AM
I was just gonna say, what's going to stop someone from plugging it right back in and using it?

I keep going back-and-forth between trying to have a zen attitude towards it and dealing with not having one, and being really ticked off about the entire thing, especially since a fridge is supposed to come standard in a room and one can plan meals around having it to save money. It may just be a "convenience," but fridges are now fairly standard in most hotel chains. It really puts a bummer on the vacation. And I don't really want to go out and buy a soft-sided cooler just for one vacation (flying down and using ME so won't have a car).

Cindy, I notice you are staying at the Beach Club. The Hess station at the Boardwalk isn't too far from you. Maybe you can pick up a foam cooler there? You can just leave it in the room when you check out. I know that isn't ideal, but it is an option.

I think you were planning to order from a grocery delivery service before this issue was reported. Can you order a foam cooler from them?

LarryBoy
07-30-2013, 02:00 PM

It's on and it is actual. It's plugged in and it seems cool. Sadly I have nothing to put in it. We flew down, and since I didn't think there would be a fridge I didn't order any water or groceries.

smallworld
07-30-2013, 11:10 PM

Cindy, I agree and felt the same. I also was alternating between going with the flow and getting steamed. The rooms are advertised as having a fridge, and people make plans based on having that amenity.

On the other hand, Disney didn't expect this to happen and I'm certain they aren't happy about it either.

In the scheme of things, this isn't a catastrophe; it's just a bummer -- but a bummer that guests had nothing to do with, and I think there should be some kind of compensation offered. It's pretty crummy that their plan all along was just to let guests know via a photocopied note in the room.

As for the soft-sided, packable cooler... my thought is that it's strictly a cost-benefit analysis kind of thing. Will you recoup the cost of the cooler in savings from meals you didn't have to buy because you had the cooler? (fwiw, back in the days when moderates didn't have fridges, we would always get a styrofoam one, but man did those things leak. We would always end up keeping it in the tub.)

AvonleaCF
07-31-2013, 09:20 AM
If I bring a cooler, I'd also bring a bunch of zip-lock bags and keep the ice in those, and then keep those in the cooler. Just a pain to replace the ice a few times a day.

I'm not sure what the cost savings are. In past trips, I pick up a bag of bagels from the resort gift shop, as well as some OJ and cream cheese. I've also stored left overs in the fridge (I'm the type that will happily eat a cold leftover burger for breakfast). Or I use the snack credit to get a fruit bowl on my way back to the room and store it in the fridge to have with breakfast.

I like having breakfast in the room without first having to go to the lobby/resort eatery and dealing with the crowds there.

Plus cold water and soda is a plus.

It won't ruin the vacation - of course not - but it is really disappointing and frustrating. Especially since I read the news here and from my travel agent; if I had booked the trip myself through Disney I wouldn't even know about it. I think that's bad on their part; they should inform guests if a promised amenity isn't there. People pack based on what's promised: shampoo, soap, hair dryer, etc.

mickeys_princess_mom
07-31-2013, 09:36 AM
If I bring a cooler, I'd also bring a bunch of zip-lock bags and keep the ice in those, and then keep those in the cooler.

I'm not sure what the cost savings are. In past trips, I pick up a bag of bagels from the resort gift shop, as well as some OJ and cream cheese. I've also stored left overs in the fridge (I'm the type that will happily eat a cold leftover burger for breakfast). Or I use the snack credit to get a fruit bowl on my way back to the room and store it in the fridge to have with breakfast.

Plus cold water and soda is a plus.

Good idea about the baggies! :mickey: Might make it a little easier to fool with. We don't use the fridge for lots of things, but do grab some dessert goodies to bring back to the room sometimes, too. And we plan to bring water this time since we're driving and it'll be a wee bit warm. ;)
My DD suggested bringing the disposable cooler bags from the dollar store--I'm not sure exactly what they're called. Good for beach trips, etc. You can put the ice and items in them without having to actually have an ice chest, them throw them away when you're done. Might be helpful for some of you flying folks to throw these in your suitcase! :wave:

CuteAsMinnie
07-31-2013, 10:38 PM
Sounds like a good idea.

We'll be at the WL in a little under a month. I'll report back when I'm there.

All WL fridges that needed to be have been replaced as of the 3rd week of July.

:thumbsup:

BrerGnat
08-01-2013, 06:02 PM

Whew! Great to know! Thanks!

dwiller1
08-02-2013, 10:41 PM
I can confirm that fridge is not replaced and is still in the room (unplugged with a note on it) at Port Orleans Riverside. At least for a garden view room in building 38. :(

baldburke
08-02-2013, 11:45 PM
It's like people preparing for a snow storm! You'd think they'd never be able to get a cold drink at Disney again!

JerseyDad
08-03-2013, 08:39 AM
It's like people preparing for a snow storm! You'd think they'd never be able to get a cold drink at Disney again!

.....not quite sure it's the "can't get a cold drink" factor that has so many concerned. (the trusty ice machines are always available).

.....in general, a WDW vacation is not cheap ...for lack of a better term. And, as such, I think what plays a larger role in triggering concerns, is that many people have their WDW travel budget figured out to the last penny ...with food being a big chunk of that bottom line. The plan to bring food, or have it delivered to their rooms as part of minimizing the outlay of $$ could amount to a savings of +$100/day ....which is nothing to shrug off.

....I can tell you that this year's WDW trip (at the end of this month) is one in which we will be more budget conscious than in earlier years. And although we don't bring / or need food items such as milk, cereal, etc., ...we do usually have lots of 'snacks' to have in the room. (though none need refrigeration ...since I drive from NJ). Of course, I do bring an assorted case of beer with me ...and it's nice to have a cold brew at the ready ...and have it cost me about $1.50/each ....rather than the $5/beer at the bar.

....on the other end of the spectrum is the "hospitality factor" ...where, a certain grouping of amenities is advertised as part of the 'package' ....and one of them is missing. There's a large amount of planning involved for a vacation ....and then to have to make alternate plans to make up for a missing amenity ....can add to the stress.

spoiledraf
08-08-2013, 08:46 AM
This dilemma actually gives me a good idea. I have a soft side cooler that I may just bring as a carry on. It'll be my "Man Purse"! It's a decent size and zips shut. I'll just throw some extra socks or sandals or whatever into it for the flight down and use it as a cooler when we get there. We are going to try and avoid anything but carry-ons for convenience and to eliminate the baggage fee. I'll have to see if it's soft enough to put under a seat.
We don't go til Christmas so they may have some things worked out by then. We don't really need a fridge anyway so no biggee.

mydisneygirls
08-08-2013, 11:19 AM

Good to know, thanks! We'll be there before we know it.

barnaby
08-22-2013, 12:12 PM
A friend of mine is at Pop now, and has no fridge.
I had down on Saturday to stay at AS Music and will check in

BugeyedMuggy
08-22-2013, 05:10 PM
My SIL just checked into YC and she has a frig.

JerseyDad
08-22-2013, 06:44 PM
A friend of mine is at Pop now, and has no fridge.
I had down on Saturday to stay at AS Music and will check in

...thanks for the update ....I head south on the great trek to the land of mouse ....and POP ....in about 11 hours

Disney5+2
08-22-2013, 08:59 PM
We had a split stay at POR and YC last week. Unplugged refrigerators in all 5 rooms at POR and working refrigerators in all 5 at YC.

BrerGnat
08-23-2013, 10:03 AM
We indeed had a working fridge (and looked to be brand new...it was larger than the old ones and had different temp control knob than I remember) at the WL 2 weeks ago.

Interestingly, I noted that the WL Mercantile ALSO sold foam coolers along with the groceries. So, other gift shops may also have them in stock.

Our fridge worked very well (almost too well...froze my son's GoGo squeeze pouches). It was very loud though. As loud as the full sized refrigerator in my kitchen. Just a fair warning. I thought our A/C unit was broken, but the noise was from the new fridge.

IloveJack
08-23-2013, 10:24 AM
I've still got 99 days, but does anyone know about ASMovies, yet? I'll need somewhere to stash my insulin. We are driving, so we can bring a cooler if necessary, but with 5 of us, I'd rather not take up space in both the car and the room.

Strmchsr
08-23-2013, 10:52 AM
I've still got 99 days, but does anyone know about ASMovies, yet? I'll need somewhere to stash my insulin.

You should be okay as they're making good progress now on fridge replacement, but make sure you have the need for a medical fridge noted on your reservation just in case. Even if all the normal fridges are not switched out they have a small supply of mini-fridges for medical needs. I had to get one for my son's insulin at Pop in July and it worked just fine.

mickeys_princess_mom
08-23-2013, 11:47 AM
Returned from a WONderful week at the Poly Sunday. Trips reports coming soon. Letter and unplugged fridge in our room. We had a styro ice chest in the car, so brought it in and filled a couple of times w/ ice for Cokes and water. No biggie.

IloveJack
08-24-2013, 01:56 PM
You should be okay as they're making good progress now on fridge replacement, but make sure you have the need for a medical fridge noted on your reservation just in case. Even if all the normal fridges are not switched out they have a small supply of mini-fridges for medical needs. I had to get one for my son's insulin at Pop in July and it worked just fine.

Called and had it noted this morning. Thank you for the reminder that I could do this!

JerseyDad
08-24-2013, 06:30 PM
.....here's an update related to POP.

......still no fridges ....and the (persons at check-in deck) ...have an attitude about it.

......finding out that fridges were still not available ...my wife asked about the $15/nite credit. Woman at desk said that it wasn't 'automatic'. Apparently, if you booked your room after WDW made public the fridge fiasco .....they feel you don't deserve the $$ credit .....because you knew there wasn't s fridge. I know we booked before the problem "went public" ...but ...that shouldn't matter. If you are shorted an amenity ....you need compensation.

.... there is an I'll wind blowing thru Disney ....it's called corporate greed ....and it smells quite foul

moe513
08-24-2013, 07:26 PM
We just got back from the BWI. We had a fridge. It was in its usually place in the cupboard. It was an AVANTI fridge. It looked like the same fridge we had last year.

BuddyL4
08-25-2013, 07:59 PM
We have arrived at the contemporary and have a fridge.:D

baldburke
08-26-2013, 09:27 PM
Just returned from the Poly and had what looked to be a brand new frig.

Mickey'sIrishPAl
08-27-2013, 10:09 AM
There's a money compensation if you do not have a fridge? I've never heard that before. Sorry if it was posted earlier in the thread. I'm lazy today.

PCruzer
08-27-2013, 01:06 PM
There's a money compensation if you do not have a fridge? I've never heard that before.

What kind of compensation are they giving? Will they know at check-in whether your room has a fridge or not? Do you need to ask for the no-fridge refund, or is it automatic?

Arielfan98
08-27-2013, 01:57 PM
I stayed at All Star Music from August 14th to the 21st and my room did not have a fridge. I stayed in the Rock Inn building.

Angelgirl65
08-27-2013, 02:40 PM
I read that Coronado Springs is completed.

PCruzer
08-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Any news on Port Orleans Riverside?

Opus X
08-27-2013, 05:49 PM
We were at POR a month ago. Perfect Fridge..

PCruzer
08-27-2013, 06:56 PM
We were at POR a month ago. Perfect Fridge..

That's great news! Were you in the Bayou or Mansion section?

mydisneygirls
08-27-2013, 06:58 PM
We are at Wilderness Lodge (standard room) right now and have a fridge.

Opus X
08-27-2013, 08:48 PM
that's great news! Were you in the bayou or mansion section?
a.b. Which...we loved. A.B. is IMHO...on od WDW Best resorts area

JerseyDad
08-29-2013, 06:33 PM
......day 6 for me here at POP .....no fridges ...yet.

...and ..in response to PCruzer above ...yes you need to ask at check in ....( if there is still no fridge ..of course). WDW is giving $15/day room credit.

We LOVE Disney
08-30-2013, 10:21 AM
a.b. Which...we loved. A.B. is IMHO...on od WDW Best resorts area

Do you know if it was in ALL of the AB rooms? We aren't going until the end of June but am curious if we will have one or not. We will be in one if the preferred buildings.

4disneynuts
08-30-2013, 10:26 AM
We are going to be at CBR in 52 days. YAHOO!! Any word on the fridges there yet? Need to know if I need to pack a cooler. Thanks!

brownie
08-30-2013, 02:13 PM
Do you know if it was in ALL of the AB rooms? We aren't going until the end of June but am curious if we will have one or not. We will be in one if the preferred buildings.

I have a feeling that this will all be taken care of by June 2014.

LWMW
08-30-2013, 03:42 PM
Any word on the POFQ refrigerators?

barnaby
08-31-2013, 02:12 PM
Just got back from AS Music (Rock Inn Room # 4564), checked in last Sunday and had no fridge. We came back to our room on Monday nite and had a new fridge, placed by the door. Old fridge was still in place. We never requested one and were not charged, so I am assuming they began replacing them

AvonleaCF
08-31-2013, 09:41 PM
Checked into the Beach Club today and there's a new fridge. :thumbsup:

PCruzer
09-01-2013, 05:03 PM
......day 6 for me here at POP .....no fridges ...yet.

...and ..in response to PCruzer above ...yes you need to ask at check in ....( if there is still no fridge ..of course). WDW is giving $15/day room credit.
Just got off the phone with Disney. Asked about the $15/day credit if there is no fridge. Told that there is no room credit because there is no charge for the fridge (???) and that they will provide you with a cooler that you can fill with ice! When you checked in, were they able to tell you if your room had a fridge? Or did you go to your room, find you had no fridge, and go back to the front desk to ask for credit?

JerseyDad
09-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Just got off the phone with Disney. Asked about the $15/day credit if there is no fridge. Told that there is no room credit because there is no charge for the fridge (???) and that they will provide you with a cooler that you can fill with ice! When you checked in, were they able to tell you if your room had a fridge? Or did you go to your room, find you had no fridge, and go back to the front desk to ask for credit?

....we asked about the fridge as we checked in ....were told there was no fridge in the room ...and then they tried to weasel out of giving the $15/day credit as they originally said they were doing. They said, "if you booked after Disney made the fridge issue 'public' ....you get nothing ...because we told you so". Then ...a supervisor saw how miffed my wife was ...and issued a $135 room credit.

How stupendously generous of them to give you a $4 cooler .....for YOU to keep filled with ice ....and for YOU to drain. .....they are not working and playing well with others .....and I think it stinks.

....are you 'booked'? ...if so ...when did you do so?

PCruzer
09-01-2013, 07:21 PM
....we asked about the fridge as we checked in ....were told there was no fridge in the room ...and then they tried to weasel out of giving the $15/day credit as they originally said they were doing. They said, "if you booked after Disney made the fridge issue 'public' ....you get nothing ...because we told you so". Then ...a supervisor saw how miffed my wife was ...and issued a $135 room credit.

How stupendously generous of them to give you a $4 cooler .....for YOU to keep filled with ice ....and for YOU to drain. .....they are not working and playing well with others .....and I think it stinks.

....are you 'booked'? ...if so ...when did you do so?Yes. Booked a long time ago - way before refrigerators became a topic.

JerseyDad
09-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Yes. Booked a long time ago - way before refrigerators became a topic.

....then ....in my opinion ....if there are no fridges when you check in (I don't know when you're scheduled to check in) ....I'd lower the boom on the person at the desk should they balk at giving you the $15/day room credit. The fact that they say that you "are not charged" for the fridge ...is a load of garbage!! You are indeed charged for a fridge ...it's part of the room amenities ....and definitely part of the recently increased room rates. Would you want to pay full price for a room with no TV or A/C?

......I may have mentioned it earlier (not scrolling back thru this thread to verify) ....but there is a definite attitude shift with Disney ....we experienced it from the girl at the counter who could not care less if we were happy with our room location ...or if we got a fridge related room credit.

.....I didn't hesitate after a trip a few years back, to write a gushing letter of thanks to Disney corporate for some wonderful things they did to rescue our vacation after my wife got hurt here. And I will not hesitate this time to write them a letter that outlines in detail how they fell miserably short on numerous occasions these past 9 days.

Tekneek
09-01-2013, 09:40 PM
......I may have mentioned it earlier (not scrolling back thru this thread to verify) ....but there is a definite attitude shift with Disney ....we experienced it from the girl at the counter who could not care less if we were happy with our room location ...or if we got a fridge related room credit.

They should really be putting their own people through the Disney Institute, instead of having others pay to learn the things that Disney doesn't do anymore.

JerseyDad
09-01-2013, 11:50 PM
They should really be putting their own people through the Disney Institute, instead of having others pay to learn the things that Disney doesn't do anymore.

....."having others pay" .....that is seemingly the key motivation at WDW these days.

......really sad ....it's not what I've become accustomed to.

smallworld
09-02-2013, 10:45 PM
We stayed at BC 8/23-8/30; there was a fridge and we were told that the entire resort was all set with fridges. However, the fridge was the little "cube" type -- not a ton of room in there, so plan accordingly.

SuperSB
09-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Any word on AS Movies? Bringing our 9 month old baby there for a week on the 8th of September and a working Fridge would really help.

Thanks!

Tekneek
09-03-2013, 09:56 AM
....."having others pay" .....that is seemingly the key motivation at WDW these days.

......really sad ....it's not what I've become accustomed to.

Great customer service would mean that the guests never have to ask for consideration. If Disney couldn't find some way to replace the amenities that they actually list as being available for the room on their own website, then they immediately offer some discount/perk for it (without guests having to mention/ask), or they go out and buy replacements directly. Pawning it off as a guest problem is the definition of POOR customer service.

brownie
09-03-2013, 11:19 AM
Any word on AS Movies? Bringing our 9 month old baby there for a week on the 8th of September and a working Fridge would really help.

Thanks!

:welcome:

SuperSB, welcome to INTERCOT!

I wouldn't count on having a working fridge for your trip.

SuperSB
09-03-2013, 11:56 AM
:welcome:

SuperSB, welcome to INTERCOT!

I wouldn't count on having a working fridge for your trip.

Thanks for the welcome and the response! We are preparing for that but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask! We are coming from Canada so we will have to get one of those Coolers when we are there.

Thanks again!

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-08-2013, 01:25 PM

Our FQ room had a fridge when we arrived. (all plugged in and working). Part way through our trip, it was replaced with another fridge and we often saw pallets of fridges being moved around the resort.

So, if POFQ isn't finished, it is very close.

PCruzer
09-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Any news on Port Orleans Riverside...particularly Magnolia Bend?

Lindsey310
09-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Will be at OKW in 41 days...will let you know :mickey:

thejens
09-08-2013, 10:20 PM
We are at Wilderness Lodge now and there is a fridge.

Crow
09-09-2013, 07:01 AM
We are at Wilderness Lodge now and there is a fridge.

that's good cause ill b there Nov 30. im guessing that there will be at DVC villas since I may rent points for one as part of that trip too

GoofyFan777
09-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Any news on the All-Star Sports fridge situation? It would be nice to have a fridge, especially while the food court is shut down for renovations. We'll be there in 4 weeks.
Thanks!

MargaretMessler
09-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Just got home from AS Movies, old fridge still in cabinet with note that it was disconnected and not to use it. Room in Love Bug section.

iceicebritney
09-15-2013, 05:55 PM
Fridges at Beach Club, fourth floor crescent lake view have been replaced - just returned from two weeks at BC

twinboyz
09-17-2013, 01:39 PM
Any news on Port Orleans Riverside...particularly Magnolia Bend?

:bump: Anything....

Leaving for POR in 22 sleeps! :cloud9:

mickeyman42
09-19-2013, 05:48 AM
:bump: Anything....

Leaving for POR in 22 sleeps! :cloud9:

I'll let you know when we check in to POR tomorrow.

steamboat willy
09-19-2013, 07:28 PM
OK...it's 9/19/13 - we leave in 13 days, staying at Allstar Music Resort.
Got mail today from Walt Disney World alerting us of the "Issues" they are still having with refrigerators in DISNEY RESORTS. Our letter states as we ALL know is they have disconnected the affected in-room refrigerators until replacements can be installed.
Prior to this letter after following the news here on Intercot, I called our DISNEY Guest Services and requested our need for a medical refrigerator which was also requested on our reservation from the beginning. Guest Services said that would not be a problem. If the room refrigerator was not yet installed, a medical one would be.
My normal routine as the first riser is to go get ice and re-pack our in-room :beer: cooler for the day before heading out to a PARK. :cool:
Will let you know when we arrive at ASMu. What we find for those coming in behind us 14 days later.:thumbsup:

DisneyorBust
09-20-2013, 09:13 AM
DW and I have an upcoming anniversary trip (3rd week of October) and we are staying at the Poly. Any idea if the fridges will be installed by then? No medical necessity, just for usual convenience.

mickeyman42
09-20-2013, 03:54 PM
Just got to our room at POR, working fridge! Magic bands are cool, ok off to enjoy vacation

ginny57
09-20-2013, 04:12 PM

Saw this on another site as of 8/28 so I'm sure others are finished by now as well:

Disney Deluxe resorts, Port Orleans French Quarter and All-Star Movies Resort have now had refrigerators replaced.

cer
09-20-2013, 04:37 PM
Just got to our room at POR, working fridge! Magic bands are cool, ok off to enjoy vacation

Thanks for the update!
Have a great vacation! :mickey:

ASweetLov
09-22-2013, 10:35 AM
I was at Pop from September 5th- September 15th and we didn't have a fridge.

twinboyz
09-23-2013, 11:19 AM

Thanks much!!! :) hope you are enjoying your trip!!!!

DonaldDuckUSA
09-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Any updates on the Boardwalk, standard room? Will be staying there late October. :mickey: Fridge or no fridge, I'm so excited!

ISLE39
09-26-2013, 09:20 AM
Carribean beach. No fridges yet. I left the hotel on day 2 to go to aoa bc they gave me so many problems. Cb moved us bc of how bad they were

Strmchsr
10-05-2013, 08:02 AM
I checked in at Pop yesterday. They said they're down to only 2 or 3 buildings without fridges and are working to try to finish those in the next couple of weeks. Unfortunately, I'm in one of the buildings without one (50s building 2).

Tekneek
10-06-2013, 07:49 AM
We're going to be at POR on 10/31 and I received a letter about the fridges. They conveniently waited until we were inside the 45 day window to send it. I wonder if that was their attempt to prevent me from cancelling it and getting a full refund based on the fridge situation. We booked based on having a fridge, so this represents a material change in the accommodations for us. I'll let any curious parties know what Disney does for us.

Strmchsr
10-06-2013, 08:37 PM
Remember, just because you got the letter does not mean you won't get a fridge. Actually, I think POR is finished. If not, it will be within a week or two so you shouldn't have an issue. And, no, they weren't waiting until you were inside 45 days so they could "get" you. They just started sending those letters out in the last couple of weeks to everyone.

Tekneek
10-07-2013, 08:20 AM
Remember, just because you got the letter does not mean you won't get a fridge. Actually, I think POR is finished. If not, it will be within a week or two so you shouldn't have an issue. And, no, they weren't waiting until you were inside 45 days so they could "get" you. They just started sending those letters out in the last couple of weeks to everyone.

That is weird. Hasn't this been a known issue for some time? Why would they have only recently started trying to notify booked guests?

If everyone thinks POR is about to be done, I won't bother sending my written response in. The biggest issue is an allergy concern that requires some refrigerated items. I had heard POR was on its way to completion before, so receiving the letter threw me a bit.

Strmchsr
10-07-2013, 08:28 AM
That is weird. Hasn't this been a known issue for some time? Why would they have only recently started trying to notify booked guests?

That I'm not sure of. I think they got plenty of complaints about folks not being notified in advance so they started sending out letters to everyone who has booked, regardless of whether their building is finished or not. I totally agree they should have done that right from the start when the issue began.

As for the second part - if you need a fridge for medical reasons if for some reason you're in a building that does not have the replacements yet (and, as I mentioned, POR should be done within a week or so) you can request a medical fridge. It's not the full size fridge, just a little cube one, but it will take care of those issues for you. Make sure to note that need on your reservation and then if you don't have a fridge in your room just call back to the front desk and they'll bring one right to you.

Mitzie
10-07-2013, 08:50 AM
We arrive in 18 days - Yeah!- Anyway we are staying at AKL and have not recieved any type of letter regarding the refridgerators.

mudpuppysmom
10-07-2013, 01:03 PM
We check in to CBR on Thursday.....anyone have word on their fridge replacement? If not, we have letter stating we need a medical one.

WDW-fanatic
10-07-2013, 06:58 PM
Just got back from POP and we had a new fridge.

Tekneek
10-07-2013, 08:23 PM
As for the second part - if you need a fridge for medical reasons if for some reason you're in a building that does not have the replacements yet (and, as I mentioned, POR should be done within a week or so) you can request a medical fridge. It's not the full size fridge, just a little cube one, but it will take care of those issues for you. Make sure to note that need on your reservation and then if you don't have a fridge in your room just call back to the front desk and they'll bring one right to you.

Seems silly to have to note something special for something that was supposed to be included with the room. That would be like needing a special note on the account that you actually need beds in the room. After all, it was just another thing listed as being in the room (but apparently not something we should actually expect to be there).

angel2931
10-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Any news on the All-Star Sports fridge situation? It would be nice to have a fridge, especially while the food court is shut down for renovations. We'll be there in 4 weeks.
Thanks!

We will be at AS Sp in 17 days... Any word on the fridges yet?

WiltonJohn
10-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Just got back from POP and we had a new fridge.

Good to hear... thanks. Be there in two more sleeps. (but who is counting? :mickey:)

best,
................john

Donald Duck
10-22-2013, 10:28 AM
Does anyone know if POR Riverside rooms have new fridegs yet ?

Thanks.
Donald Duck
:mickey:

Mad About Mickey
10-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Just back from Caribbean Beach and had a new refrigerator.

buzznwoodysmom
10-25-2013, 02:10 PM
Does anyone know if POR Riverside rooms have new fridegs yet ?

Thanks.
Donald Duck
:mickey:

I am wondering this as well. We check in at Riverside in 4 weeks and I would really like to have all the amenities that were listed when I booked my room way back in May.

Lindsey
10-25-2013, 04:06 PM
Don't know if anyone already posted this, but I was at AKL last week and had a working fridge. :thumbsup:

RedSoxFan
10-25-2013, 07:22 PM
DS is staying at All Star Sports in a couple of weeks: Do they have fridges yet?

Kerry823
10-27-2013, 08:46 AM
We just checked in last night at POP. We are in 6423 and there is no refrigerator. I got the letter but will be asking for the credit. Will keep you posted.

bmj721
10-27-2013, 05:05 PM
Will they all be in by early January at POP:mickey:?

Strmchsr
10-27-2013, 06:16 PM
They are supposed to be, yes.

WiltonJohn
10-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Just got back from Pop Century. Room 7422. No fridge. Have medical needs ...so got one upon request.

best,

..................john

Kerry823
10-28-2013, 05:30 PM
We have been at POP since Saturday. No fridge at check in. none yesterday. Returned from the park today and have a new fridge. Did not make it down to ask for the credit so not sure how it would have went. We are in 6423.

big blue and hairy
10-31-2013, 07:29 PM
We have been at POP since Saturday. No fridge at check in. none yesterday. Returned from the park today and have a new fridge. Did not make it down to ask for the credit so not sure how it would have went. We are in 6423.

We were at Pop same time period in the 50's. Our timing was perfect. New fridges were being dropped off outside the rooms on 10/25 when we checked in at 1pm. When we got back from lunch and MK, they were in and cold. :D

:sulley:

comicguy
10-31-2013, 08:44 PM
Any word on Pop 80's section??

JerseyDad
11-01-2013, 09:32 AM
....just as a note ...these are REAL refrigerators .....no freezer compartment ...and a tiny bit larger (1.8 CF vs 1.7 CF) than the original REAL fridges that you had to rent.

....and they appear to be able to live with being put in a cabinet.

yjgirl32
11-01-2013, 10:33 AM
Wahoo. Thanks everyone for the updates.

rkmemkc
11-04-2013, 08:05 AM
We are currently in the very back end, second floor, facing the woods :camp: of ASM and there is no refrigerator. There is a hole for one in the tv cabinet though. :mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
11-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Any word on riverside? We arrive in a little over 2 weeks and would like to know what to expect.

mickeys_princess_mom
11-16-2013, 10:48 PM
Haven't tuned in for awhile. Stunned to see this post is still rocking along! Hope it's being helpful, which was the intent. Glad to hear that things are progressing, and happy to have a new trip to look forward to. Pop! :mickey:

Tekneek
11-18-2013, 09:40 AM
For what it is worth, when I got to Port Orleans Riverside on 10/31, there was no fridge in our room.

buzznwoodysmom
11-18-2013, 12:51 PM
For what it is worth, when I got to Port Orleans Riverside on 10/31, there was no fridge in our room.

I read somewhere that the cabinets at Riverside weren't big enough for the new refrigerators so their shipment went to another resort and a re-order had to be placed for riverside.

Supposedly the order was to arrive last week and all are expected to be in rooms by Nov. 20. Again this is just what I read about riverside.

RedSoxFan
11-18-2013, 01:54 PM
DS and his girlfriend were at ASS over the weekend and complained of no fridge as they had leftover pizza from our dinner at Via Napoli. There was a fridge left for them outside their door the next day.

magicofdisney
11-18-2013, 05:27 PM

November 11-16, still no fridge in our POR room.

roses
11-26-2013, 02:18 PM
I just got back from Caribbean Beach (Nov 12-19) and there wasn't a fridge...

Goes4FastPass
12-30-2013, 04:55 PM
It's a few days until 2014 and there are still rooms at WDW resorts that don't have refrigerators?

Gee Whiz, if the fridge fix were any less efficient. it would seem like it was government project

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-31-2013, 11:33 AM
Gee Whiz, if the fridge fix were any less efficient. it would seem like it was government project

:funny: