PDA

View Full Version : Miss great dining at Disney when dining away from WDW

Katzateer
07-15-2013, 07:55 AM
We don't normally dine at upscale places except at WDW. Last night the 4 of us went out for a nice dinner- was a long, leisurely meal in a very nice setting.

Some of the meal was really good but compared to meals we have had at California Grill, Artist Pointe and Narcossee it could not compare.

Makes me miss WDW even more and I look forward to some great dining in December.

Does anyone else feel this way ?

Ms. Mode
07-15-2013, 08:39 AM
Yes; this is why I am somewhat amazed to read threads how bad the food, service, choice, etc is at WDW. All I can think is, " come to the capitol of WV and see what choices you have." :D

I will add this; my DD and I eat at Panera bread just about every week because it reminds us of the food court at POP!

faline
07-15-2013, 08:44 AM
We have some favorite, local restaurants where food and service are excellent. The biggest complaint I have about Disney restaurants (including their deluxe restaurants - with the exception of Victoria & Albert's) is the noise level.

BrerGnat
07-15-2013, 09:04 AM
I can understand this but it is totally dependent on where you live. I haven't felt that way in a long time. Disney Dining is usually a downgrade from what we are used to at home.

#1donaldfan
07-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Yes; this is why I am somewhat amazed to read threads how bad the food, service, choice, etc is at WDW. All I can think is, " come to the capitol of WV and see what choices you have." :D

I will add this; my DD and I eat at Panera bread just about every week because it reminds us of the food court at POP!

I am amazed too at the amount of people who "grit" on eating at Disney...yes it's way higher than I'd pay at home, but I love eating at Disney !! The food is typically always great, with an occasional let down, but for me it's the atmosphere that sells it for me !! We have gone to Disney so many times and although we still love the rides, we spend more time resort hopping and dinner hopping !!

I like coming to Charleston to eat !! We've spent many days and nights there during the girls basketball championships !! :mickey:

mechanic
07-15-2013, 06:13 PM
ive never put down disney food, its always been decent. but aside from a handful of top spots, ive eaten at many places that are much beter.
i dont worry about food to much,maybe one isn't too good, but its just a meal and there will be another coming soon.

1DisneyNut
07-15-2013, 06:44 PM
I am one of those that think most of the restaurants at WDW are mediocre, some are good. We usually go offsite when at WDW for nice meals because we can find very nice seafood restaurants with much better pricing. Why pay double the price for just ok at WDW when you can get great at half the price somewhere else. We also have local restaurants at home that are better than most of WDW's. Also, we don't go to WDW to eat....we go for the attractions and shows.

thejens
07-16-2013, 12:59 AM
I live in a cosmopolitan area where there are some amazing restaurants, but only at WDW is there the amazing theming! I truly feel that I am in another world when I am at WDW! I think the fact that I a so gald to be sitting down helps me appreciate the WDW restaurants too!

PETE FROM NYC
07-16-2013, 05:59 PM
WDW food is way over-priced. But, remember that we are a captive audience, just like at a ballpark.
Personally, I can get better food just about anyplace else and not have to mortgage the house.
WDW tries to make many foods so fancy that I don't even want to try it.
I read the menus several time a year, and rarely find anything new to consider. Maybe its just me being a meat and potatoes kind of guy.

TheDuckRocks
07-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Another voice from WV, we're in the Eastern panhandle, we love going to WDW in part because of the dining options. Living in an area that has a number of places to go but they all have a sameness to them WDW is a treat for us. We even have fun driving down and back finding new places to dine. In all of our trips I have only had 2 meals at Disney that were totally unacceptable.

Scar
07-17-2013, 06:54 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Of course I can get better food, service, etc, where I live... but i can't walk out of any of those restaurants and watch Illuminations.

faline
07-17-2013, 07:27 PM
Of course I can get better food, service, etc, where I live... but i can't walk out of any of those restaurants and watch Illuminations.

You got me there, Jeff!

BrerGnat
07-18-2013, 08:49 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Very true. Disney World is just not really about the food, for me. Never was. Of course, you have to eat, but I don't really think too much about it, don't make ADR's in advance, etc. I mean, the food is good, but there really are only a few things on property that I cannot get in the "real world".

I always think it's quite funny when people rave about really basic things, like the Onion Rings at B&C or Flame Tree. Can these people not get beer battered onion rings at home? :confused:

NJGIRL
07-18-2013, 10:42 AM
Dining at Disney is not the draw for us to visit WDW. I do enjoy eating at Disney, but we have so many good restaurants in our area at home that Disney dining while good, is a little overpriced IMO. Certain restaurants at Disney can't compare to the same type of restaurant in my area as far as taste and price.

90% of the restaurants we have dined at in Disney I would return to, so I don't feel that the food is not good, actually the opposite, but when I think about my favorite restaurants and have a craving, it's not for a Disney Restaurant, it's for one at home.